Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
The nice thing about front end work is that you have something visual and interactive to show at the end. I prefer backend, but it is somewhat less satisfying when three weeks of work results in a different price being charged for freight or whatever based on some arbitrary business rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

We're kind of lucky in that we can just go "oh, [whatever change] is a variance from the original work and will cost $$$", which filters it down to the clients who actually care.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

jony neuemonic posted:

I'm seriously considering learning mobile because of this. If people are going to insist I help with frontend work I'd really prefer if it wasn't SPAs.

You're in luck! Nowadays, you can do mobile development with the same technologies that you'd use for webdev!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

lifg posted:

It's fun to talk about JavaScript when interviewing at web dev shops.

Half the programmers are like, "Our frontend was written in <two year old framework> but we finally convinced our boss to let us rewrite it in <one year old framework>!" The other half are like, "We're using.... something <eyes glaze over>. I don't care if you don't know it."

I'm not sure which is a worse signal tbh

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

That email reminds me of the semi-regular emails we get admonishing us to improve "quality". Nothing specific, just deliver more "quality".

These are often related to some high priority issue in production that about 80% of the time is totally unrelated to any possible measure of code "quality".

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Submit it, but censor all the interesting parts with black bars.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

metztli posted:

With any online rating system I find it's only worth reading the bottom half of ratings/reviews This is based on the idea that happy reviews are either fake or will all be the same if genuine, while unhappy will mostly be unhappy about different things. If they don't have any bad reviews at all, I pass.

Ah, the Glassdoor Karenina principle. "Happy reviews are all alike; every unhappy review is unhappy in its own way."

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

US dev salaries are loving ridiculous.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Volguus posted:

As long as "the apps that I use" make it on the list I'd be cool with it. Otherwise, hell no. And if they try and pull the old "but then everyone ..." i'd tell them to go gently caress themselves and put my poo poo on that list and shut the hell up. If the CEO needs to hear about it then he/she will.

Ah yes, but now you're locked into using only those apps. Good luck trying to get anything new approved.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

This was acknowledged as ridiculous by all involved but far easier than affecting change in the organisation. In that sense the technology wound up mirroring the team itself.

This should be the title of either the "working in development" thread or the coding horrors thread.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

HardDiskD posted:

What do you guys do in the notice period? One of the reasons that I'm leaving my job is that there was nothing to do, and me putting in notice didn't magically change the situation.

:justpost:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Gah, don't even put work accounts on your machines ya dingus!

Justify this by mumbling something about security.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Ooh, that's good.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Loutre posted:

Time to go blow $40 bucks on a new one for a single hour long interview!

An underused power play is to send them an invoice for the webcam. It establishes you as a dominant, business-focused individual with management potential.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Holy poo poo, do you also learn how to write extremely convincing arguments?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Pixelboy posted:

Depends on your background. If you're a Microsoft kinda guy, F# is pretty cool (even though C# eventually gets the coolness).

I don't see C# ending up with all the coolness. For example, I think computation expressions and units of measure aren't going anywhere near C#, which is a pity.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

raminasi posted:

C# kind of has partial computation expressions if you’re willing to abuse custom awaitables :v:

The real problem with F# vs C# these days is that all the new dotnet tooling hotness seemingly isn’t tested for F# at all before release, so everything is three point releases behind and buggy as hell.

Jesus Christ, you aren't joking.

And yeah, for an officially-supported language, the state of F# tooling is shocking.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Oldie Programming: start looking for another job

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

One of the perks of coming in at 0500 is leaving at 1300. Thus, interview times aren’t an issue.

Interviewing after a full day's work seems like not such a great idea.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

I don't understand the appeal of Go.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Volguus posted:

(no idea if ADO Entity Framework uses pooling, probably it does, didn't see where to configure it though)

Sure does! It's on by default and generally just works as you expect.

e: not that anyone really cares, but it's the sort of thing that's good to have somewhere in your mind if you work in the .NET space.

redleader fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 26, 2018

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Volguus posted:

What does standards (like JPA for example) have to do with open source? You can define the specification, provide your own closed source implementation and let others provide an open implementation if they so want. The interfaces are (by definition) open. This standardization helped Java (in my opinion) immensely. There's one set of APIs to learn and master. (of course, that's the theory. In practice, the behaviours are often different, different bugs, different requirements. No, you cannot just move from hibernate to eclipse-link in a more complex project).

This sounds like an argument against standardizing interfaces.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

this will assist in weeding out the bad .net devs who burn when they touch an actual shell

but where will you get .net devs once you alienate the windows users

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

strange posted:

This is what ended up happening. It turns out when my boss said "any tech", he really meant "use node". One upside is the local jobmarket loves Node for some reason!!!!!!!

Guess you're using C# then!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

prisoner of waffles posted:

I think most of our worst issues are due to the particular history of things at the company (i.e. self-inflicted) and not NuGet per se

I think there's also a valid complaint right here. Anecdotally, there's a lot more NIH and homegrown libraries in .NET land, and it's way less likely for a non-MS-sanctioned library to see much adoption.

prisoner of waffles posted:

Team Foundation BuildLord
Surely you jest.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

I'm kind of weirded out how common Newtonsoft JSON is, but that's Microsoft's fault for lashing their first JSON support to some XML-transform bullshit. As in, "why the hell are there XML namespaces in my JSON property names?!", was the first thing I thought looking at the default serializer output, IIRC.

Newtonsoft.Json is the reason I said Microsoft-sanctioned :v: It helps that it's good, but it helps more that it's been bundled into ASP.NET for a while.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Powershell is pretty good IMO, and their APIs, while ancient and lovely, often aren’t the absolute worst to work with because their shittiness is at least documented, either officially or littered throughout the internet. And they’re a bit more cohesive than just throwing about text pipes everywhere.

Counterpoint: PowerShell powers hell. It's a garbage language with a good idea (passing objects instead of text along a pipeline), a virtue (it's not cmd.exe) and a very good suite of tools for interacting with and managing Windows.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

All languages and operating systems are garbage. Computers were a mistake

:agreed:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

There's a good chance like half their application is implemented in the DB via a Rube Goldberg system of stored procedures, views, triggers, functions, and (if the DBMS supports them) synonyms.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

I'm reasonably sure that I wouldn't have gotten my current job if I weren't a middle class white male. Since I applied straight out of uni, with an unrelated degree and very limited programming experience, the fact that I looked and talked like the two interviewers probably won me some points - although I still have no idea why they picked me in the end.

Nowadays the hiring process has changed, and we've hired a far more diverse group of developers. Senior management are actually quite proud of that. It's a pity they can't run a business and we've been laying off a bunch of people to try to control costs lmbo

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

As in many things, the US seems to be a outlier.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

I have a bit of a conundrum. I've been referred for a position at a well-known $localTechCompany. It's apparently a great place to work and I'm sick of my current job, so I'm very interested in following up on this position. $localTechCompany is a solid and well-established firm, with pretty reasonable financial performance.

I'd be joining a small satellite office - ~5% of their headcount - in my city. They've been growing this office aggressively and are moving into new offices next year.

However, news has recently come out that a large international $privateEquityFirm is interested in taking over $localTechCompany. I know gently caress all about business, but commentators seem to think the deal isn't unrealistic. The current and long-term CEO is also leaving at the end of this year.

So, I'm concerned. On the one hand, this is a decent position at a well-performing org. On the other, I don't really think it's wise to trust that $privateEquityFirm won't be doing normal :capitalism: things like shutting down unneeded offices (i.e. the one here) and/or reducing headcount (i.e. new hires i.e. potentially me). On the other other hand, the takeover might not even go ahead!

The potential takeover makes me very nervous and unwilling to pursue this opportunity - I like stability and not being fired. But there's a nonzero chance that's just an excuse I've come up with to stay at $currentJob which, while poo poo, is at least a known quantity that will tide me over while I find a recruiter or some poo poo.

I really don't know what to think or consider or look out for.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

• Comments that assume you already have context on the problem the code is solving.

Oooh, this is a tricky one, and I'm probably guilty of it myself. I find there's often stuff that if you're looking at it in any depth, you need to have some context on the issue at hand already.

Or maybe that's just what I tell myself, and I just write lovely comments...

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

quote:

clothing rental... the closet in the cloud... believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion

I don't know anything about this org except that I hate their business model.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Goondolences

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Careful Drums posted:

mostly joking

no you're not

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

I don't want to become a manager and I don't see how I could ever contribute to society, so I guess my career path after 40 involves a bullet.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

yes there will always be cobol-or-equivalent positions for you over-35 greybeards

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

please do not engage with how!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

tak posted:

Have you considered that the margherita may be oversaturated?

Some people are . completely convin ed the margherita is oversaturated, other people vehemently deny that it is. Oversaturation is when there are more tomatoes than sauce. So for a given margherita, there are 20 tomato slices looking for sauce, and only 10" of pizza. 

great, now we've got the how!! of pizza posting here