Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Ithaqua posted:

My first good boss explained to me that there are two types of bosses: poo poo funnels and poo poo umbrellas. You want to work for (and strive to be) a poo poo umbrella.

My first boss out of college was an amazing umbrella.

When he left the company, I couldn't cope with even the tiniest, most-routine amount of poo poo.

I appreciate what he did, but it made me a weaker dev (in the short term).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Arachnamus posted:

This may be straying into e/n, but do any of you find yourselves so disillusioned with software development that you seriously entertain the idea of throwing it all in and never touching a computer again?

A friend of mine definitely did. He's looking into green-tech and education opportunities now.

FWIW, I think his hopes were too high.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Companies seek to create value, not make money.

I think there's a few individuals out there with intrinsic motivations to create value, but I'd still argue that, for many/most companies and investors, the end goal is "making money", and "creating value" is the means to that end.

If your CEO and board aren't cutting corners and stiffing their workers, that doesn't necessarily mean they're good people. They might just be ruthless motherfuckers with a longer time-horizon.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

What if the board has created a situation in which I am the bottleneck?

Congratulations. You just earned a pay-raise.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Munkeymon posted:

How many of you guys are presented (initially at least) with a contract that gives ownership of anything you come up with off-hours to the company? Actually the one on my desk right now also claims anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment and fail to disclose.

So how common is this poo poo?

Cross it off, hand it back. If they refuse, demand a huge pay bump. If they refuse, run.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I can't get over the whole "anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment" thing. That's pure horseshit.

Like, Marsol0, I also own everything I conceive (past, present, and future), so long as I'm not using company equipment to do it. There must be plenty of employers like ours.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

sink posted:

Really interesting report. Out of curiosity: If it doesn't give away too much information, what stage company is it? Are they doing well or have a lot of public exposure in their market? And is it in the Bay?

I wonder if the devs there are just diehards who really believe in the mission or something.

Earlier devs may have equity/options to compensate for lower salaries.

Even if they don't, I've heard it's common for growing companies to pay new hires more salary than early hires. It's easy; they can afford to now, they need more labor, and often enough the early hires never find out.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Cryolite posted:

What do you guys think of putting down that one is an Eagle Scout on a resume?

It's two words. Leave it.

Most people will ignore it. Of the remainder, more people will like it than hate it.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Good Will Hrunting posted:

It feels like prep work could take an infinite amount of time and that I'll never be ready. 2.5 years has given me a really solid tool belt and a lot of diverse knowledge in a few areas, but the algorithms stuff (especially the harder stuff - some subsets of tree algos, more difficult DP stuff, etc) feels so far away that I have a serious case of what I'm guessing is interview imposter syndrome.

How do I get over this and Just loving Interview?

Find some companies you wouldn't want to work for. Ask them for an interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

leper khan posted:

JavaScript is not a server side language. Despite people putting a fair amount of effort into changing that for some ridiculous reason, that's probably not going to change.

Counterpoint: Redfin uses server-side JS in prod. https://react-server.io/

It helps with SEO, simplifies front-end coding, and gives us a janky version of server-push over HTTP 1.1.