Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Some of shrughes recent threads on big-problems/certs got me thinking that we've been lacking a general compliment to the "newbie programming" thread for old dogs. Even those who are far past undergrad and the first interview need to bounce ideas around to figure out where to go next. My suspicion is that as the forum ages, there will be more posters in this situation around, so let's discuss:

• Career Advice: where are you at and where to next?
  • Career Strategy: what positions to seek and how to get there
  • Companies: where are the opportunities and where will your cog get welded in place
  • Technologies: where to place your bets for the next 5 years - what is waxing and what is waning
  • Moonlighting/Side Projects: if you can make the time, how to spend it?
  • Degrees/Certifications: when do you really need a resume booster?
  • Politics: how to handle situations when you are staying for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

My admission: I feel like a change in direction is coming up for my programming career and I have no idea where to go next. I've been working as research staff in academia for a few years and although the high-level problems have been interesting, as a non-academic there is no upward mobility and I've been given mostly the uninteresting grunt-work and the tech has all been highly specialized nuts-and-bolts stuff that I really don't want to make a career out of. I'm feeling like I'm a mile wide and an inch deep and I need to train-up expertise in something with more commercial appeal so that I can move into a position with some prospect for growth.

However, the choices seem daunting and I don't feel like I have a finger on the pulse of where the industry is headed. Is mobile going to continue to be big? Are there trends conspiring to waylay webdevs? Is high-performance computing a safe niche? I'd appreciate people's thoughts on what tech is a good bet for the near future.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I was just looking for a thread like this, thanks! I'm being considered for a senior software engineering position, but I've got to ask: What does it mean to be a senior software engineer? I'm comfortable with my skills, but I know there's more to it than that. Any veterans care to chime in?
That is pretty much my job title now. For as long as I've had it (through several sites both commercial and academic) I've still been low on the totem-pole and the positions have had little to do with taking more design responsibility or managing small teams (which is always what I thought it entailed).

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks for the anecdote, smoothie. It provides alot of food for thought and reinforces the idea that it really is time to move on from academic research.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Having decided to eventually move on from academic research, it is time to dust off the old Resume. I'd appreciate any critiques - the biggest question in my mind currently being whether to trim to 1 page or expand to a more verbose 2 pages.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Hughlander posted:

15 years of work experience should be two pages IMO.

That is another question: do I include the early part of my career that I spent as an artist/animator or omit it? The really relevant stretch is the 8 years of gigs post-grad school.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks all. I've decided to flesh it out to 2 pages - in large part to pre-answer questions about the gaping hole between undergrad and grad school. I'll add an intent and keep the clearance info and put the CG artist stuff under a separate "Other Professional Experience" section.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks all, the resume work has paid off: I've got a tech screen lined up with big G in four weeks. I am fleshing out my study outline and signed up for one of their coaching sessions as well. Wish me luck.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Hey oldies. Thanks for the advice. I have made past the first all-day interview to the point where I will be talking to various team leads. Any tips on what to ask aside from "what does your team do?" or "how do you run your project?"

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks for the advice all. Thanks to this thread I am making my transition out of academic research and into a position at Big G.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I can't give specific advice as I did art, models and animation when I was in games; however I can definitely say: get out, make more, live more and never look back.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

baquerd posted:

I really appreciate the responses, though I don't want to make this an E/N thread, so it would be great if other people looking at organizational moves asked for advice too. I've gone from night shift help desk to where I'm at now and can talk a lot about the transitions if that's something that could help someone.
I've had such a different experience. I've had to jump ship for every significant promotion. Some places were so good to work at that senior people didn't leave but not growing enough to create room to move up. Some places pedigree mattered more than skill. At my new gig they seem to have great processes in place for measuring and rewarding performance, and plenty of internal hiring for lateral moves, so I'm hoping that I won't have to move for some time.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

minato posted:

There's a good 30 min talk here about a guy's experience with burnout in the Ops field, although it equally applies to development.

https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa14/conference-program/presentation/lehtonen

Great talk. I saw the same worker/management relations back when I worked as a game artist as well, but I can't imagine it applying in that situation. His strategies apply well to engineering, but I think they depend on having the leverage of the non-commodity skills he acquired over the course of his career. That leverage was probably much less while he was scrambling to prove himself early on. I think the difficulty comes in recognizing when you have leverage (at least the leverage of "I can get a new gig before I go broke") and how much (i.e. how much benefit-increase/poo poo-reduction you could negotiate for.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Cryolite posted:

Is it common to reach senior-level in salary and expertise in one stack and then switch to a completely different stack while maintaining the previous salary? Anyone else here do that? What was your experience?
Even if you have to lose ground in the short term it sounds like you will be a whole lot happier in the long term doing something other than forms forms forms. That kind of work will always be there waiting for you if you want to take a stab at other tech. As a senior, you should be able to get up to speed on new tech in a few months. Try looking at larger companies that don't mind that kind of ramp up, rather than small shops that need your individual impact right away. Maryland should have lots of options, especially if you can get a clearance.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Basically, I'm looking for stability and a decent manager, and have been for a long time, but at this point I think my heuristics for determining what to look for are somewhat broken. So to restate my question in a different way, what signs should I be looking out for / how do I identify people/situations/companies that give me a favorable chance of settling down and just working for a couple of years?

If you don't want to play the leadership personality odds at a small shop, you're definitely going to want a company that is big enough to have processes by which people can get out of a bad situation - either by preventing them in the first place, disrupting them when they happen, or making transfer easy. In all likelyhood, a company big enough to establish such practices is probably big enough to have a reputation as being a decent place to work.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

The Witness posted:

For all the older programmers here, what would you consider to be the essential skills that helped you throughout your careers over the years? Is there a specific combination of skills or habits that proved more rewarding than focusing on other skills?

The ability to eat poo poo and roll with the punches (while not loosing sight of my goals).

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Cryolite posted:

Does anyone here have any recent experience with how having a high clearance like Top Secret with polygraph affects software salaries relative to uncleared/private sector software work?

I went from defense with TS to non-defense and got a big pay bump, so I'm not sure it has that much of a dollar premium. I do think it is a feather in the trustworthy-cap for the resume though.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Kallikrates posted:

A couple google recruiters have been trying to get me to come in for what seems over a year and I recently took them up on an offer for coffee/lunch and an office tour. I've heard that interviews for specific teams/projects are a little different than off the street Engineer interviews at GOOG.

If you are interviewing at GOOG they will hand you a link to a page describing everything they expect you to know - which is mostly just a list of fundamental undergrad CS concepts. You might be expected to know what a red black tree is and what some of its properties are but I doubt an interviewer would ask you to implement one. An actual technical task would more likely be a FizzBuzz that then mutates with more and more requirements like concurrency and scale. The interviewers are not trying to trick, or intimidate you - they are just trying to find answers to questions like: are you actually an engineer? do you know what you are talking about? do you have an understanding of the types of problems big G faces? how well do you collaborate and deal with changing requirements? Puzzles and memory-checks on obscure concepts answer none of these questions.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

baquerd posted:

That's the phone screen, the in-person interviews get significantly more involved for a senior engineer and will involve design questions as well as whiteboarding.
The in-person interviews still must be tasks that, even if more involved, can be reasonably completed in an hour by someone who knows what they are doing - which fundamentally limits how deep it can get. For instance, on a design interview I'd still expect some side question "what kind of data structure would you use for that?" to which someone who payed attention in undergrad and reviewed a few notes would say "why a red-black tree would be perfect for this application because of properties X, Y and Z" and so ends the tangent without a digression to show a bug-free implementation of red-black tree on whiteboard.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I've worked with "10x" people before who were really "make everyone else 1/10x" people. I think anyone who is good with logic and abstract thinking can be a "10x" when they are working in a familiar domain ... in idioms and patterns that they find natural ... with languages and tools they are familiar with ... on a codebase they are familiar with. However, anyone who is put in a situation where everything doesn't line up is going to naturally move more slowly - frequently stopping to look up information, cross-reference things, read background material, etc. for quiet some time until they come up to speed.

Years ago I was on a project where the lead developer was fond of coming in on the weekend to geek out on the codebase. He would occasionally refactor everything (BOOM - everyone else is a 1/2x developer while figuring out the new codebase) to idioms that made sense to him (BOOM - everyone is a 1/4x developer because they had a different mental model for the solution) and using some hot new framework that he had learned and wanted to use (BOOM - everyone else is a 1/8x developer while figuring out the new framework). And lo, the sorry newbie on the team who was still learning the domain (me) was now a 1/16x developer. gently caress that guy. A good lead would put an end to it, but when that guy is the lead ... well I moved on pretty quick.

The same situation can easily apply to greenfield development - the cowboy coder leading the charge can appear to be 10x because everything is lining up - domain, idioms, tools, code - but its just because they wrote it all! Everyone following along will look slow because they are wading in someone else's idea space.

Paolomania fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 24, 2015

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I can't explain exactly why, but I hate the word 'folks'.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

You need to push back really hard on the IT/help desk trend or leave. Parlay what you've done into more of the same - there or somewhere else. Don't play "great expectations" - time spent going away from the role you want will be time wasted.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

AOP questions = "pssst, kid, don't work here we run Byzantine spaghetti systems."

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

What's cool and fun to code these days?

C++14

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

My team did about a year of weekly "planning poker" (i.e. no daily scrum) with FIFO "dogpile" style task assignment and it was one of the few agile experiences that I've had where the benefits outstripped the pains. I have to say though that I was the oddball who actually liked it as the other developers on the team preferred to have individual ownership of components and voted to discontinue it. To me it seemed like a good way to organize a 4-5 person team, but with the advantage of having a stable task list other teams could view and try to negotiate priority with the team lead over.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Ouch. Looks like a good link for the D&D unicorns thread.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I think a more interesting thing might be something like a salary history. I've had to do some aggressive job hopping to get mine up to par:

60K + benefits +options - CG artist at ill fated dot-com
60K + benefits - CG artist at a medium size gamedev studio
<grad school>
65K + benefits - Software company that was having its lunch eaten by Apple. 1st year out of MS with a resume that looked like an artist.
75K + benefits- Defense contractor as SWE
85K + benefits - Defense contractor 2nd year promotion to SWE2
95K contract - Research staff at a premier CS academic research institute
100K contract - Research staff at a premier CS academic research institute
120K + benefits + RSUs + bonus - 1st year SWE at premier tech co.
125K + benefits + RSUs + bonus - 2nd year SWE at premier tech co.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

There is also the question of how much in general is getting listed (as opposed to promoted via other means such as direct recruiting) and of that how much is the share going to indeed. You could just be measuring trends in recruiting techniques. Is there BLS data of this granularity?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

mrmcd posted:

My team at Google NYC has like 3 open headcount now. Do well and maybe we can be goonglers together.

Wow this place is just crawling with characters.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

mrmcd posted:

Google NYC had a practice interview / coaching talk for onsite candidates (which GWH you should def do if you get past phone screen and schedule works out) and the thing I thought was most insightful was the presenter said (paraphrasing) "We see and reject a lot of people who have spent 10+ years doing variations on 'write for loop, take data out of SQL cursor, put data on web page', and don't have the ability or inclination to really think about problems much deeper and more analytically than that."

The other thing was "We don't really have many people with job titles like 'architect', every engineer is expected to be able to code and implement their ideas" so, uh, make sure you can actually code. :v:

Gotta have high standards for your protobuf plumbers. If there is anything that gives me imposter syndrome its seeing my referrals that are way sharper than me never getting past recruiters / phone screens.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

Is there any rational response other than devoting huge amounts of my free time to studying Cracking the Coding Interview and breaking into the anointed-programmer club?
I came out of undergrad at a decent state school. Without having a pedigree/networking of a top tech or ivy it was 15 years of lame jobs, a MS, and opportunistic jumps with an eye towards resume building before I got in as a run-of-the-mill SWE at Big G. It most definitely sucks to see those with better fortune jumping right into such a role - or better - at the start of their careers; however you can't let that stop you.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

God forbid people take a thread where career advice is asked for in earnest seriously.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

google-earth-with-only-california.png

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

mrmcd posted:

I am in the Cambridge/Boston office this week it's very nice. They are so proud of their toy subway system here it's adorable. Every area is styled like the train system or Boston history trivia.
I am US-CAM but alas I am on vacation this week otherwise I'd offer to grab a coffee!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

We really need to start a googns mailing list.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

The third-party vendor setup generally involves the employee being a normal W-2 employee of the vendor, so while they tend to get hosed on equity and such (where applicable) there isn't really anything legally iffy going on.

I did some contracting for MIT that was structured exactly like this. Not really getting screwed out of equity on an academic coding gig, though.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

mrmcd posted:

The goongler mafia seems to grow larger by the day... :ninja:

I look forward to continuous meme improvement.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I went from senior SWE at a boring company to a regular SWE (L4) at Big G. I have no complaints. As everyone else has said, don't expect ranks on the outside to translate to those companies you listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

The amount you're paid depends less on your skill and more on what company you've joined up with. Majorly profitable companies pay more, as you've just seen.

Also whether as an engineer you are seen as a profit or cost center (but just filtering for tech companies goes a long way to helping this).