Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

CODChimera posted:

I really can't remember this. Do you know what episode it was?

I think it's toward the end of 10-11 PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
10pm - 11pm

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought he killed him since Jack was torturing him, and he did not want to be found out.

Yeah, he framed Jack for it.

I always thought anyone in high levels of government in the 24verse should be required to carry cards that said "1. Jack Bauer is always right 2. It's never Jack Bauer's fault". That would solve like 99% of the problems.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ElwoodCuse posted:

I always thought anyone in high levels of government in the 24verse should be required to carry cards that said "1. Jack Bauer is always right 2. It's never Jack Bauer's fault". That would solve like 99% of the problems.

3. Logan is lying and he is behind it all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think the reason for a lot of these is because usually the writers hadn't finished writing the seasons by the time they started shooting. So while the Palmers never interacted directly with Jack in Seasons 2 or 3, they didn't know that, so they put them in LA in case the plot called for a face-to-face interaction.

And I'll forgive season 2, because the shot of Palmer looking at the nuclear explosion out the window of Air Force One is absolutely worth it.

The music for that scene was incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5iG_tgK_CU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
For some reason I forgot Keifer Sutherland was Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid V. Its like we're getting two seasons of 24 this year!

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
A new preview's up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRhdoQTNhvk

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
This video contains content from FOX, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

e: here we go: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=116413

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 25, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Here it is from Fox's official YouTube channel:
http://youtu.be/b1JtkqrTsU0

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

When I was re-watching season 7 a couple weeks ago, I noticed how just about every other episode, a high-ranking government official would cut support from Bauer/issue a warrant for his arrest simply because he was yet again blamed/framed for this or that. So ridiculous, even for this show.

I'm going through season 6 now (yeah I know) and it's just as bad as everyone remembers. The stuff with Jack's dad is so weird. And that kid Josh is a little bitch. But the season mainly feels stale. It begins with a nuke so it's hard for things to escalate from there. In re-watching various seasons (in no order, for some reason), I really think 1 (minus the Teri/amnesia bullshit), 2 (minus the Kim subplots) and 5 stand out as being the best. 5 owes a lot to Peter Weller as Christopher Henderson.

Oliver Reed fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 26, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm also partial to the latter half of season 3, thanks to Paul Blackthorne's gloriously over the top performance. It is 24 at its absolute pulpy best.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Season 3 stood out for the prison riot/Russian roulette scene, the hotel outbreak and the chase through the school in the finale.

I'm close to wrapping up season 6. There's this character named Mike Doyle who's awful and probably no one remembers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm also partial to the latter half of season 3, thanks to Paul Blackthorne's gloriously over the top performance. It is 24 at its absolute pulpy best.

Saunders is my favorite villain. Season 3 had SO MANY good moments.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"You don't have anymore useful information, do you, Nina?"

".....I do."

"No, you don't." *Bang Bang Bang*

I think everyone watching that cheered at that point.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I didn't realize just how excited I was for a new 24 season until I saw the preview that just came out :suspense:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Twee as gently caress posted:

I didn't realize just how excited I was for a new 24 season until I saw the preview that just came out :suspense:

It honestly felt like seeing a friend I hadn't seen in a few years. The plot (so far( seems like a bit of a rehash of how Season 5 started- but I don't really care because that was the best one. Bring it on!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I hope jack bauer kills a ton of dudes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Stairmaster posted:

I hope jack bauer kills a ton of dudes.

This probably goes without saying, but such a thing is almost guaranteed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It has Saunders and Ramon Salazar. The two best villains of the entire series (Yeah, Logan is great, but I have my preferences!). It's pretty great.

X-O fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 27, 2014

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
I think one of the best things about season 3 was that it was one threat the entire time: the virus. It feels like other seasons neutralize "the threat" with about 6-8 hours to go and then have to come up with some other arbitrary thing to focus on. Season 2 had the Cyprus recording, Season 6 had the russian circuitboard/Cheng Zhi doin poo poo, season 7 had Starkwod/the Bioweapon. 3 was all about that virus.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I think one of the best things about season 3 was that it was one threat the entire time: the virus. It feels like other seasons neutralize "the threat" with about 6-8 hours to go and then have to come up with some other arbitrary thing to focus on. Season 2 had the Cyprus recording, Season 6 had the russian circuitboard/Cheng Zhi doin poo poo, season 7 had Starkwod/the Bioweapon. 3 was all about that virus.
Yeah, typically the better seasons only have one or two main acts. Season 1 basically comes down to Jack preventing Palmer's assassination/taking down those responsible. Season 2 is about the nuke and then (as you mentioned) preventing a war based on the politics behind its detonation (Cypress recording). Season 3 is like you said, all about the virus. It gets a bit convoluted (finding the virus, buying it, securing it again, etc.) but it's fairly consistent.

Later seasons like season 7 have like 3-4 mini-plots linked to a vague threat of terrorism or whatever. Season 6 is the worst at this...it's about nuclear bombs for like 18 episodes and then they tack on poo poo with Audrey being alive and in Chinese custody with amnesia.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm also partial to season 3 as its the last season of 24 to feel like a thriller more than an action show. Season 4 transitioned nicely into the mandated action scenes every hour format, but the first three seasons really do feel like a loose trilogy.

Also, anyone else amused about Bauer's line in the trailer where he goes "This could start a world war!"

Well last we saw Bauer, he nearly started one singlehandedly. Much as I'm going to groan at yet another government stooge not listening to Bauer, at least this time there's ample evidence to be skeptical.

I'm really hoping they don't walk entirely away from the fact that Bauer basically became the show's Big Bad by the time it concluded.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

This. It's not as if season 3 doesn't have a poo poo plotline here or there, but it's certainly the most focused season they've had. Whether that was on purpose or just by chance (which I guess is more likely considering everything I've read about the 24 writer's room) I don't know.

It also helps that season 3 has what I consider the best cast out of all seasons. Tony and Michelle are at their height, Chloe appears for the first time, Gael manages to be both creepy in the beginning and awesome towards the end and even Kim mostly doesn't suck for once.

EDIT: I'm not really sure how I feel about "goth" Chloe. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo singlehandedly made such a cliche out of that type I'm not sure I'll be able to take it. And to be honest Mary Lynn Rajskub doesn't seem to be good enough an actress to find something new in that archetype.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 27, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
RIP Ryan Chappelle

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Gonz posted:

RIP Ryan Chappelle

Probably the best scene of the show, all things considered. At least top three.

Fake edit: Love when Chase tells Jack to chop his arm off, too.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
As one of the biggest 24 fans ever (if I do say so myself), I of course am looking forward to this. It's nice to see them bringing back Heller and Audrey but I hope they don't kill either one of them, as they're two of the only surviving veteran characters besides Chloe.

Looks like they'll start with yet another Presidential assassination plot before that inevitably is a diversion for something MUCH BIGGER!!

They've already used all 4 types of WMDs and a bunch of other terror threats so I won't really blame them if they've run out of ideas short of an alien invasion.

Besides keeping Heller/Audrey/Chloe alive, my only other requirement is that Jack does NOT end up pardoned by the end. That would be complete bullshit, even for this show.

I find it funny that he's talking to Chloe about how killing an American Prez on foreign soil would be an act of war when he was ready to assassinate the Russian Prez at the UN which would start a world war but Chloe ended up talking him down.

Spalec posted:

"You don't have anymore useful information, do you, Nina?"

".....I do."

"No, you don't." *Bang Bang Bang*

I think everyone watching that cheered at that point.

I really hated how sloppy the editing was in that scene. Just as he shoots her it cuts to an awkward angle and then a bunch of closeups so you still weren't 100% sure if she had died until the next episode. Or maybe the director just didn't know what he was doing. It ruined a good moment, in my humble opinion.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 27, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ninjasaurus posted:

I really hated how sloppy the editing was in that scene. Just as he shoots her it cuts to an awkward angle and then a bunch of closeups so you still weren't 100% if she had died until the next episode. Or maybe the director just didn't know what he was doing. It ruined a good moment, in my humble opinion.

I agree, especially compared to a much later scene in the final season where Jack executes Dana Walsh. There's a pretty brutal wide shot of Jack shooting her point blank in the chest and then close ups of Jack and Dana's face as he delivers the coup de grace. It needed to be an uncomfortable scene to watch and it was.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Oliver Reed posted:

Yeah, typically the better seasons only have one or two main acts. Season 1 basically comes down to Jack preventing Palmer's assassination/taking down those responsible. Season 2 is about the nuke and then (as you mentioned) preventing a war based on the politics behind its detonation (Cypress recording). Season 3 is like you said, all about the virus. It gets a bit convoluted (finding the virus, buying it, securing it again, etc.) but it's fairly consistent.

Later seasons like season 7 have like 3-4 mini-plots linked to a vague threat of terrorism or whatever. Season 6 is the worst at this...it's about nuclear bombs for like 18 episodes and then they tack on poo poo with Audrey being alive and in Chinese custody with amnesia.

Sorry to continue being so negative but I thought season 2 really spiraled downward in quality after the nuke went off. It still had some great/iconic moments but the momentum never really recovered and it was even more contrived than usual that the US was going to bomb the gently caress out of the Middle East (based on falsified evidence) at precisely the time the season was set to conclude. There was no reason for that time frame whatsoever except that it would help the writers make it through the last batch of episodes by dragging things out until the final minute.

I have some serious misgivings about season 3 but my biggest problem was that the entire first half had almost nothing to do with the second. You could have deleted all that sting operation/Mexico/virus sale/Nina crap and lost nothing, since the main storyline doesn't actually begin until Saunders shows up. A crystal clear case of the writers making it up as they went along.

Basebf555 posted:

I agree, especially compared to a much later scene in the final season where Jack executes Dana Walsh. There's a pretty brutal wide shot of Jack shooting her point blank in the chest and then close ups of Jack and Dana's face as he delivers the coup de grace. It needed to be an uncomfortable scene to watch and it was.

Great example of the show doing it right. Although the final season was absolutely brutal in terms of violence (especially when Jack goes on his rampage) so maybe 24 wasn't quite ready to be that explicit yet?

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 27, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oliver Reed posted:

Nothing will top season 4's mess of a plot. They kidnap the Secretary of Defense, which was a cover-up for forcing the nuclear power plants to melt down, which was a cover-up for stealing a stealth jet, which was ued to shoot down Air Force One, but the President wasn't their target, they wanted the nuclear football, then they want to launch a missile. Oh, and there was a blackout due to an EMP, and something about the Chinese, and Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I have to say, it would be pretty hilarious if '24' decided to nuke London :ohdear:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Nothing will top season 4's mess of a plot. They kidnap the Secretary of Defense, which was a cover-up for forcing the nuclear power plants to melt down, which was a cover-up for stealing a stealth jet, which was ued to shoot down Air Force One, but the President wasn't their target, they wanted the nuclear football, then they want to launch a missile. Oh, and there was a blackout due to an EMP, and something about the Chinese, and Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

Wasn't at least one or two of these improvised Plan-Bs when their initial plan gets foiled by Jack/CTU?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Season 3 felt like the second worst season. It felt like the show lost the momentum that the first two seasons had. (I no longer felt like I was watching that TV show that was doing ALL THIS AMAZING poo poo that I've never seen on TV before. S1 & 2, despite their lovely subplots, defined that feeling.)

The idea of a viral plot felt contrived. ("Well, what else can we do after nuclear?") The show kept switching to a new villian right when they were going to resolve a plot. Later seasons would at least plant the seeds a few episodes earlier, but season 3 made me think "come on!" on multiple occasions. I also didn't find the drug trade, Jack's heroine addiction, or the Salazars interesting. Also, Season 3 was before Chloe became a good character. CTU (not counting Jack, Tony, and Michelle) was the second worst CTU the show had.

And the writers were too afraid to have anything happen to the characters. Compare that to the ruthlessness of the first hours of Season 5. Season 3 only got entertaining with Saunders, the hotel, and that Chappelle episode.

Plenty of season 3's problems continued for the rest of the show, but it was before the show embraced the crazy, Jack-is-super-badass premise... which was alright because I really enjoyed 4 of the 5 seasons that followed the new formula.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 27, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Timby posted:

Seasons 4 and 7 are actually pretty similar in a lot of ways, starting with the completely over-the-top and surreal terror plots. They're a jumbled mess and you did an admirable job recounting the most important bits of the fourth season.

The seventh season has...
  • A special device that can infiltrate the nation's firewall and magically control any computer system in the US (so it's even better than Marwan's nuclear override) so they crash some planes and do some other bad stuff with it.

• Hundreds of moles in every branch and every department of the government, that are working with an African dictator and his minions, who take over the White House.

• Turns out Jon Voight was behind all this including what happened while Jack was in Africa. Now he plans to use a bio-weapon against the US unless the President consults him on military matters or something.

• But wait, an evil SPECTRE cabal is really behind everything and are going to use the last remaining canister of Jon Voight's bio-weapon to gently caress some poo poo up in Washington D.C. Their motivations are never explained.

• Then Will Patton shows up as the Ultimate Mastermind behind everything that happened in seasons 5-7, including Palmer's assassination. Evil Tony reveals he was a quadruple agent in the finale and somehow lures out this untouchable uber-villain even though Will Patton was supposed to have been behind the hit on Tony and his wife. They're both arrested but Renee gets mad and beats up Will Patton.

• Oh yeah, and Jack is infected with the bio-weapon but Kim shows up in D.C. and uses her stem cells to save him somehow. The End.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

It's sad that Tony was bastardized so much in season 7. Talk about totally ruining a character.

And I wish they never killed off Bill.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It wouldn't be 24 without insanely complicated and over the top terror plots.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Oliver Reed posted:

He at least got a cool heroic death.

The white house invasion was probably the least realistic and most retarded thing the show has ever done, but it was totally awesome at the same time.

Plus it had Aaron Pierce kicking rear end. I hope he makes an appearance in the new season somehow, he was always one of my favourite characters. His verbal bitchslap to President Logan Charles was the one of best speeches in the whole show.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
You know who I really miss?

This guy:

He was really awesome and I wish they hadn't stopped using him :smith:

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 27, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I haven't watched the show in a long time, but wasn't that the really slimy guy who always advocated nuking whatever country the scary brown people came from that season?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Echo Chamber posted:

Season 3 felt like the second worst season. It felt like the show lost the momentum that the first two seasons had. (I no longer felt like I was watching that TV show that was doing ALL THIS AMAZING poo poo that I've never seen on TV before. S1 & 2, despite their lovely subplots, defined that feeling.)

The idea of a viral plot felt contrived. ("Well, what else can we do after nuclear?") The show kept switching to a new villian right when they were going to resolve a plot. Later seasons would at least plant the seeds a few episodes earlier, but season 3 made me think "come on!" on multiple occasions. I also didn't find the drug trade, Jack's heroine addiction, or the Salazars interesting. Also, Season 3 was before Chloe became a good character. CTU (not counting Jack, Tony, and Michelle) was the second worst CTU the show had.

And the writers were too afraid to have anything happen to the characters. Compare that to the ruthlessness of the first hours of Season 5. Season 3 only got entertaining with Saunders, the hotel, and that Chappelle episode.

Plenty of season 3's problems continued for the rest of the show, but it was before the show embraced the crazy, Jack-is-super-badass premise... which was alright because I really enjoyed 4 of the 5 seasons that followed the new formula.

I agree with almost all of this. Where we differ is that I still think 3 is better than 6 and 7. I watched the show as it aired from the pilot episode to the series finale and these are the only seasons that almost lost me. It was a rough three years but the second half of season 8 won me back in a big way. I didn't even mind the first half (except Dana Wash prior to the reveal of her being the mole), mostly because I was so grateful that they had jettisoned almost everything from the previous few seasons and never brought it back.

Also, Anil Kapoor is a boss. The pompadour, the accent, the attitude, all of it. What a great performance. No wonder he's now apparently the Indian Jack Bauer.

Oliver Reed posted:

It's sad that Tony was bastardized so much in season 7. Talk about totally ruining a character.

I block out Season 7 Tony from my mind while rewatching the earlier seasons because if I don't, I end up getting pissed off at what used to be a good character.

The best/worst part of Bill's death is that the camera zoomed in on his charred corpse after he blew himself up, just so everyone watching knew that unlike Tony, there was no way he was coming back from the dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Twee as gently caress posted:

He was really awesome and I wish they hadn't stopped using him :smith:

Dude was straight up complicit in Palmer's personal assistant's murder and was still given a high-ranking White House position.

Speaking of murderers in the White House, Wayne Palmer broke into the former first lady's home, was an accessory in her assault and then stood by as she was murdered by the woman with whom he was having a tryst, and 24's America still decided to elect him president. :911:

• Locked thread