Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6lHm-stXdM
Sara and Teagan with the Lonely Island

Out in North America February 7th, the Lego Movie has earned approximately 70 Million in the U.S. and 18 Million internationally as of Sunday night 2/9/2014 projections. It lords the Box Office and deservedly so...it owns. Go see it, now.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lego.htm

quote:

An ordinary LEGO minifigure, mistakenly thought to be the extraordinary MasterBuilder, is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil LEGO tyrant from gluing the universe together.

Cast
Chris Pratt - Emmet
Elizabeth Banks - Wyldstyle/Lucy
Will Arnett - Batman
Will Ferrell - President Business
Morgan Freeman - Vitruvius
Charlie Day - Spaceman Benny
Liam Neeson - Bad Cop/Good Cop
Nick Offerman - Craggy
Alison Brie - Uni-Kitty
Craig Berry - Blake
Jonah Hill - Green Lantern
Channing Tatum - Superman

My brief thoughts

Everything was awesome. The performances and characters were great, the story was good, the animation was fantastic, even the sound stands out, go out and see the thing now. The gags are funny and the subject matter that is addressed surprise even me. It has that thing that people call "heart" but it does it very well and in a genuine manner.

Batman's theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVV_zoDjbQk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
I am contributing to this crude Lego Movie thread.

This movie is seriously good. Shocking no-one, Lord and Miller hit another one out of the park. What is shocking the fact that they manage to take what could so easily have been an extended toy commercial and turn it into something that will desperately make you want to buy the product without feeling like its marketing the product to you. It's sweet and sincere without being cloying, bright and colorful without lacking depth, and on top of that thick with great, gut-busting humor. It's very impressive.

Caught it yesterday morning at a WB screening, and I'm headed off of to see it again in a couple hours. I have a feeling its going to be the kind of movie that improves on repeated viewings.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sometimes good things come from Tumblr.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Gatts posted:

Nick Offerman - Craggy

I think you mean Metalbeard :yarr:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Something for your thread: How they made The Lego Movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_tqsasgoI

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
I saw this on Friday and my brother (who is also an adult) was ticked I didn't wait to see it with him. I told him without hesitation I'd see it again with him if he wanted to, no question. This is one of those movies I will gladly pay admission for more than once.

Chewbacca isn't kidding that it makes you crave building with Legos like nothing else. The fact they gave away Emmet mini figures with each ticket didn't hurt either.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fantastic movie, way better than I expected it to turn out. My only regret with this movie is that (SPOILERS) They didn't find a way to get Ford to do a cameo as Han Solo even though they got Anthony Daniels and Billy Dee Williams to reprise their parts.

One trick I really liked in this movie is that in a lot of the long shots, they deliberately did a false miniature effect to help sell the illusion that these are actual lego pieces moving around on a table.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Green Jacket posted:

The fact they gave away Emmet mini figures with each ticket didn't hurt either.

I'm feeling a combination of indignation and also that I was probably going to go see it again anyways. What chain did you go to where they did this?

edit: LOVED all the in-jokes for lego fans like the fabuland and bionicle gags. According to one of the sets, Johnny Thunder was one of the master builders. Totally missed him but I guess I'll keep an eye out next time I see it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What is the subtext of the Awesome? Can the Awesome be interpreted as fascist?

But seriously, I love how this movie handled itself. A little bit cheesy at points, but excellent nonetheless. The Citizen Bladerunner of 3D Animation Disguised as Stop-Motion.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

mr. stefan posted:

One trick I really liked in this movie is that in a lot of the long shots, they deliberately did a false miniature effect to help sell the illusion that these are actual lego pieces moving around on a table.

I think one of my favorite things about the film is that it really looks like a film that COULD have been made with actual Legos, obviously, if you didn't mind it taking a million years to shoot. But there's not much that betrays that aesthetic, and I really think it's one of the better computer animated films I've seen in a while. They really did get so much of the look right.

Honestly, I really do feel like it's one of the most inventive films I've seen in a while. From the animation to the really good use of a license, the Lego Movie could have been just another crass cash-in, but instead, it's really something that was a labor of love.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Level Slide posted:

What is the subtext of the Awesome? Can the Awesome be interpreted as fascist?

It's more of a recognition between the contrast of President Business and the Master Builders. Consider these lines:

quote:

Everything is better when we stick together
Side by side, you and I gonna win forever?
Let’s party forever
We’re the same, I’m like you, you’re like me we are working in harmony

It's a recognition that their society is structured so that victory comes through cooperation ("we should stick together") and that personal differences should be smoothed over ("you’re like me/ we are working in harmony"). It's not a fascist approach per-say, it's a collectivist approach.

Contrast this with the Master Builders, who are extremely individualist. This is further confirmed by their identities - you have not-God (Morgan Freeman), Superman, Wonder Woman, Shakespeare, etc. All of these are "great" figures which are known for tackling problems by themselves or with minimal help. The Master Builders are the "Great Person" myth made incarnate.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

They can't have hand animated everything right? They had to have written a particle system to do stuff like water, smoke and explosions. I bet that would be fun as hell to play around with.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I remember reading somewhere that it's 80-90% CG and 10-20% practical. Also, 80-something Space Guy is one of the directors' mini-figs from his childhood, hence the cracked helmet and faded planet logo.

i09 put it best, this is simultaneously the best send up of hero journey tent pole films ever, and a great summer tent pole hero journey film.

Riven fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 10, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I hope this is the official name for Benny's set: Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

japtor posted:

I hope this is the official name for Benny's set: Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

That is the official name, yes!

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Riven posted:

I remember reading somewhere that it's 80-90% CG and 10-20% practical. Also, 80-something Space Guy is one of the directors' mini-figs from his childhood, hence the cracked helmet and faded planet logo.

i09 put it best, this is simultaneously the best send up of hero journey tent pole films ever, and a great summer tent pole hero journey film.

I mean more whether or not someone placed every digital brick in each shot. I know the old set box/instruction photos were real, but I'm curious about what other real stuff got comped in. And if that is the set name then I'm buying it day one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It was a pretty great movie. The live action parts weren't bad by any stretch of the imagination but they did slow things down.

I thought Vitruvius's staff was icky.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
That was fantastic and the turn to live action at the end was surprising and poignant. All in all a great animated movie.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 10, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

That was fantastic

Dude I think you should spoiler that.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

door Door door posted:

I mean more whether or not someone placed every digital brick in each shot. I know the old set box/instruction photos were real, but I'm curious about what other real stuff got comped in. And if that is the set name then I'm buying it day one.

Plastic is really easy to render compared to everything else. Since every lego brick has the same plastic bump mapping as well, it's pretty easy to make a convincing brick.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

This is a movie that just loves the world, creativity, and people. It's completely earnest in its love for everything, and I have to admire that. Seems we get so many kid/family films that are full of self-hating cynicism or self-indulgent importance that it's rare we get something so excited to be on screen. Loved every minute of it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Al-Saqr posted:

Dude I think you should spoiler that.

Seriously, I might have wanted to experience that without knowing.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Easily going to be my favourite movie of the year, I was moved by a LEGO movie. Cannot wait to see it again once the crowds die down a bit.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I hadn't heard a thing about this aside from its existence before my roommate asked me to go and I almost said no. I'm glad I went though because it was loving fantastic.

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!

door Door door posted:

What chain did you go to where they did this?

It was a Regal Cinema. That kinda sucks if it's a chain specific promo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Green Jacket posted:

It was a Regal Cinema. That kinda sucks if it's a chain specific promo.

I didn't get one at Cinemark, sadly.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Through most of the movie, I was sitting there thinking that it reminded me a lot of that opening scene in Toy Story 3 with One-Eyed Bart, where everything was ridiculous non sequiturs and how the plot was evocative of an imaginative kid playing with his toys. And then it got to the live action portion and it all made sense why. That kind of thing could've easily ruined the whole movie, but they managed to actually make it work in a completely satisfying way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I was almost going to skip this because it had been advertised at my job several thousand times per hour and I was already sick of it. Glad I didn't though because it's great and consistently funny from start to finish. I also like that the first 1/3 or so is like a modernized take on Metropolis where, much like in reality, we're fed a constant stream of stupid stuff to keep us from noticing everything else going on in the world instead of just walking around miserably. And yet the Lego Movie is what it is.

I liked the product placement a lot also. Just throwing out the part numbers at key plot points was great because thy realized the best advertisement possible is just having stuff like Metal Beard and being able to mix properties together however you want.

It's also great to see a Warner Bros. movie take the piss out of Batman so much, his theme song is amazing.

This was like the most :3: movie for me ever too because having the glow in the dark ghost figure on a string was something I did all the time and my general preferences as a kid was basically 1:1 with the blue space man, the raddest figure.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 10, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It took me entirely too long to realize the Piece of Resistance was a plastic cap.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Favorite part was either Benny finally getting to build and fly his Spaceship (because as we all know, Space Sets are the BEST Lego, bar none. :colbert:) or the little "2D" segments when Meatalbeard's ship sailed away/the top of the skyscraper flew away.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrBouvenstein posted:

Favorite part was either Benny finally getting to build and fly his Spaceship (because as we all know, Space Sets are the BEST Lego, bar none. :colbert:) or the little "2D" segments when Meatalbeard's ship sailed away/the top of the skyscraper flew away.

And the sound effects from those 2D segments.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Every single kid who plays with Lego will at some point think "I should build a really cool spaceship", so that character works perfectly.

What worked even better for me was that the climax was building a giant awesome LEGO robot, the kind you wished you could always build as a kid but didn't have the imagination or the skills to put one together.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

What worked even better for me was that the climax was building a giant awesome LEGO robot, the kind you wished you could always build as a kid but didn't have the imagination or the skills to put one together.
Or enough parts.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I loved it. Loved the discussions of fascism, about what does and doesn't work about it (a kid's moving exploring the potential good intentions of fascism, that's pretty crazy), and the eventual comparison to the relationship between parent and child. It was just a really interesting movie all around.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Dammit, this movie almost made me tear up at the end. I went with my 4 year old son, and the week before I was just telling him how important it was to keep all of our lego kits separate and keep the instructions all together and in good condition. We even keep all the boxes, and place the lego kits in ziplocs then in the original boxes with instructions when they are taken apart. The movie was telling me I was Lord Business.

When we got home from the movie, I let him mix up Star Wars, Alien Conquest, Police, and the generic Legos we had in one giant pile and just go crazy. Now he is going around saying he is a Master Builder, singing Everything is Awesome and making a fleet of some odd looking spaceships. It's going to take me forever to build some of the original stuff from his giant box of legos now though.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat rights, early 90's Space was the best; Space Police, Ice Planet 2002, M-Tron. I feel bad for the kids that were into Lego in the late 90s/early 00s who missed out on the awesome space sets before the Star Wars line got really good.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

AgentHaiTo posted:

Dammit, this movie almost made me tear up at the end. I went with my 4 year old son, and the week before I was just telling him how important it was to keep all of our lego kits separate and keep the instructions all together and in good condition. We even keep all the boxes, and place the lego kits in ziplocs then in the original boxes with instructions when they are taken apart. The movie was telling me I was Lord Business.

When we got home from the movie, I let him mix up Star Wars, Alien Conquest, Police, and the generic Legos we had in one giant pile and just go crazy. Now he is going around saying he is a Master Builder, singing Everything is Awesome and making a fleet of some odd looking spaceships. It's going to take me forever to build some of the original stuff from his giant box of legos now though.

I can say from experience that building the original stuff from a giant tub full of mixed Legos is an excellent parent/child bonding experience. You know that scene where they're at the construction site and everybody's going "I need a 2x2 flat piece!"? That'll be you and your kid, working together to hunt down the pieces you need to build an awesome Lego castle. A Lego castle that will then be attacked by evil Space Pirates until there's a last minute rescue by Luke Skywalker.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

A Lego castle that will then be attacked by evil Space Pirates until there's a last minute rescue by Luke Skywalker.

A closet in my house literally has the necessary sets to do that boxed up right now. A Castle castle, the Millennium Falcon, and Slave One (close enough.)

If you can find a way to work The Simpsons into there you hit them all.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Lord and Miller can do no wrong at this point. I was seriously not prepared for the level of awesome this movie threw at me for the entire duration.

As far as the animation goes, the water and smoke effects really did blow me away by how perfectly blocky they were. I do kind of wish there was more consistency with how people moved, though- there were some shots that seemed more stop-motion-esque than others. But it wasn't enough to detract by how wonderfully fleshed out they built a Lego world.

And I really want a minifig too, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is reminding me of my efforts to make x-wings and the Millenium Falcon and stuff before the Lego Star Wars stuff existed to make it actually work. It was so awesome but so, just ever so slightly off in the dumbest ways. Like you had to use a bunch of those two stud hinge pieces so that the x-wing's wings could fold out but even when the pieces were new they weren't strong enough to hold the wings open so you had to basically hold it like that while playing with it.

Man 80s lego spaceships will always be the raddest thing.

http://brickset.com/sets/6985-1/Cosmic-Fleet-Voyager
http://brickset.com/sets/6954-1/Renegade
These were like the coolest thing ever.

I liked how the movie managed to fit in all the different subtle and not so subtle things about our experiences with Legos also. Like how the one time a piece is stepped on by a human he doesn't notice because he's not barefoot.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 10, 2014

• Locked thread