Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
What exactly gives you a better chance of being selected? Ive applied for the position once and gotten passed over. I met all of the minimum qualifications

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

eternalname posted:

What exactly gives you a better chance of being selected? Ive applied for the position once and gotten passed over. I met all of the minimum qualifications

I don't think anyone really knows, seems to be mostly luck. I meet all requirements and have been applying since 2008 including wasting money on a cti degree and I have exactly one year before I age out.

I know people that work in an FAA facility that haven't been selected. Hell, I work with New York center, Miami, Jacksonville, San Juan, and Washington every day working the radios, issuing clearances and talking to traffic and that isn't enough to get a call back.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Right now, it is a lottery or an act of congress (no kidding) to get hired. Going to CTI school specifically for air traffic is not a wise move. Get a degree in something useful and you can still apply.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hi, how do they schedule all the planes and stuff for major international airports. There seems like there's a lot of planes, and there are quite a few different airlines and how do they all agree on whose plane gets to get there when and whatever?

Are there regularly scheduled planes like trains have a train that leaves every day at such and such time or something like that? How far into the future do they do the scheduling? I've never bought a plane ticket more than a few months or so ahead of time, but I've never tried buying one, say, a year or more in advance.

It sounds really complicated because there's so many dang planes and there's so many airports.

It's called enterprise optimization and it involves statistical modeling, neural networks, and so on. Aircraft scheduling, revenue management, supply chain management, crew planning and operations all fall under this umbrella and involve similar tools.

fe: didn't realize this post was so old.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Please, please, please be real:

:v:

simble
May 11, 2004

Welcome to the inside jokes thread. What's funny about this?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
12/C680/G indicates a flight of 12 C680s (Cessna Citation Sovereigns, large business jets). 12 of them in a formation would be quite a sight indeed.

Probably somebody fat fingered "1/C680" when entering the data. Though when a flight is just one aircraft the 1 is usually omitted, some automated systems include the 1 if not manually corrected.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Just got the call from Northwest Mountain HR that I was selected on an ERR to Seattle Center, should get my tentative offer letter tomorrow morning. :dance: :toot: :hawksin: :toot: :dance:

I already know my release date isn't going to be good, but I'll deal with it. I think I remember one of you guys had made the transition from terminal to enroute, how did that go?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zochness posted:

Just got the call from Northwest Mountain HR that I was selected on an ERR to Seattle Center, should get my tentative offer letter tomorrow morning. :dance: :toot: :hawksin: :toot: :dance:

I already know my release date isn't going to be good, but I'll deal with it. I think I remember one of you guys had made the transition from terminal to enroute, how did that go?

We have a VFR tower CPC who was a trainee at a lvl8 up/down before he ERRed to Miami Center. He says its quite a bit harder, in terms of required knowledge/LOAs, etc, but he's kicking its rear end.

Are you going to have to do the enroute academy course?

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

We have a VFR tower CPC who was a trainee at a lvl8 up/down before he ERRed to Miami Center. He says its quite a bit harder, in terms of required knowledge/LOAs, etc, but he's kicking its rear end.

I don't think so, one of our guys (whose first facility was AMA too) is leaving for Houston Center next month and he isn't going back to OKC. I've got my radar ticket already so I'm sure that will help, but the rules will take some getting used to.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Tower to enroute don't go to the academy for some really strange reason. I started with a guy that went from Riverside in Tulsa and he definitely struggled a bit.

edit:

quote:

I've got my radar ticket already so I'm sure that will help, but the rules will take some getting used to.

That will definitely help. You'll at least know what a point out is.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got our "thanks for the hard work when Chicago Center exploded" stuff today. Time off or cash award? Nope! A coin and a letter. :thumbsup:

I'd heard rumors of up to a week of time off award for everyone "directly" involved, but nope. poo poo, we even got 4 hours just for transitioning to ERAM.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sounds familiar: we got the 4 hours of leave for transitioning to ERAM, but we can't have spot leave, because we're understaffed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Sounds familiar: we got the 4 hours of leave for transitioning to ERAM, but we can't have spot leave, because we're understaffed.

The best part about time off awards is that they expire after a year! Your best bet is to use it when you already have approved leave and just save yourself those 4 hours.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A new publication regarding 2015 hiring. I'm still reading through it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23553830/ATCS%20LTprocess%20stakeholderFINAL1.16.15v1.pdf

quote:

General Experience/Education Only Track
•March 2015 announcement; Temporary, 2152 FG-1
•ATO will determine the number of hires needed for 18-24 months
–Announcement open period will be sufficient to reach total number of applications required to meet projected hiring needs
•Candidates MUST pass qualifications tests
–Revised Biographical Assessment; Increased security
–Alternate version of the AT-SAT
•All candidates who pass qualifications tests provided tentative offer letter
•All qualified candidates who then meet all pre-employment requirements will receive a firm offer letter
•New hires attend Academy for initial training, facility offered upon graduation
•Service area preference considered but final facility assignment and option based on Agency need
•Includes consideration of those candidates impacted by age-related provision in the FY15 Consolidated Appropriations Act

quote:

Specialized Experienced Track
•52 weeks of post-certification ATC experience
•Permanent, 2152 AT-AG (or higher pay level, if CBA provides)
•Specialized ATC experience requirement eliminates need for qualifications tests
•Hired for/go directly to a specific facility (training at Academy as required)
•Service area preference considered but final facility assignment and option based on Agency need
•January 2015 announcement with reference to the March 2015 announcement for General Experience/Education Track candidates
•Includes consideration of those candidates impacted by age-related provision in the FY15 Consolidated Appropriations Act

For general experience applicants starting FY2017 they're looking at revamping the entrance exam:

quote:

Future Improvements for FY2017 Hiring
•Introduction of new validated cognitive ability test to replace
AT-SAT
•Projected first use for announcement in Fall 2016
•Applies to General Experience/Education, FG-01 track only

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What does this mean for off the street hiring? Keep your eyes and ears open for something in March.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

If you are wanting to get hired, get your poo poo together. March.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I see no mention of age waivers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
All of these people that are going to get thrown to whatever facility the FAA decides to send them to are going to make it so easy for me to swap when I decide I want to go somewhere else.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah this critical staffing level wasn't going to last forever. Hopefully in 5 more years, mobility will increase quite a bit.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A close call at New York's JFK airport:

http://7online.com/travel/jetblue-flight-stops-short-during-takeoff-at-kennedy-airport/479757/

I'm gonna see if I can get LiveATC recordings of the incident in a bit.

EDIT:

Found the audio from the tower. Not sure if anything happened on Ground Control's frequency that would have added to this confusion, I'm still looking.

Here's the audio file, incident occurs at 00:40

Tower: Carribean 526 can you hold short of 22R?
Tower: Carribean 526 STOP
Tower: JetBlue 1295 abort takeoff
Tower: Carribean 526?
Tower: JetBlue 1295 do you require any assistance?
Tower: JetBlue 1295 turn right Golf, taxi right Bravo
JetBlue: Right Golf, right Bravo and we'll advise, we'll get back to ya JetBlue 1295

Here are the paths that each plane took:

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 19, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

If you are wanting to get hired, get your poo poo together. March.

What does one have to do to have their poo poo together? I'm a prior USAF flight engineer, if it matters any.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
For applying off the street, review the requirements for employment earlier in this thread. Make sure you can pass an Airmen's 2nd Class medical plus EKG, can obtain a secret level or lower security clearance, review the ATSAT entrance exam material and practice programs (some available on https://www.stuckmic.com). Have some personal and professional references ready and all of your medical history. Don't have horrible credit or recent substance or psychological issues.

Oh, and be younger than 31, hopefully by a year or two so you have time to go through the process.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 20, 2015

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah this critical staffing level wasn't going to last forever. Hopefully in 5 more years, mobility will increase quite a bit.

Let's hope. My wife GTFO of Memphis center, thankfully. We're in SLC now and down the road looking to move back East.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We were just informed at ZMA that instead of six (6) trainees for the fiscal year, we'll be getting fifty (50).

Our training department is gonna be hoppin'. :v:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

We were just informed at ZMA that instead of six (6) trainees for the fiscal year, we'll be getting fifty (50).

Goddamn, hopefully other facilities have similar numbers!

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Oh, and be younger than 31, hopefully by a year or two so you have time to go through the process.

What's the exact age cutoff?

I turn 30 in August. Would I probably be fine applying again in March if they open up off the street hiring applications again?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Nice!

I'm not sure what the plans for ZKC are right now. My area has something like 6 or 7 guys training on the D-side right now. I have my OJTI class this week so I can get in on the fun! :downs:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Boola posted:

What's the exact age cutoff?

I turn 30 in August. Would I probably be fine applying again in March if they open up off the street hiring applications again?

Need to have a tentative job offer letter by your 31st birthday (someone please tell me if they know this has changed, I'm aware of what the FAA website says but it was wrong in the past).

It takes about 1-2 years from application to academy start, with the tentative offer coming in months before the academy. So your time line doesn't leave much wiggle room, but I think it should be enough for one try.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Ferret King posted:

Need to have a tentative job offer letter by your 31st birthday (someone please tell me if they know this has changed, I'm aware of what the FAA website says but it was wrong in the past).

It takes about 1-2 years from application to academy start, with the tentative offer coming in months before the academy. So your time line doesn't leave much wiggle room, but I think it should be enough for one try.

So I'm hosed then. Turned 30 in December.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

Nice!

I'm not sure what the plans for ZKC are right now. My area has something like 6 or 7 guys training on the D-side right now. I have my OJTI class this week so I can get in on the fun! :downs:

I'm finally building up some experience training others and I've really not been enjoying it. I've yet to have a developmental that gives a crap and it's pretty irritating. I'm also really friendly, patient, and bookish so they like to give me the trainees that are struggling so they're not getting constantly demoralized by the more aggressive controllers.

I'm not certain it's been a good tactic for anyone involved, as my recommendation rate is pretty low so far. I'm even looking at going through a training review board (official process to extend or terminate training) with one of my developmentals within a month. I've never done that before.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

holocaust bloopers posted:

So I'm hosed then. Turned 30 in December.

No harm trying, but it'll be really really close. I think last year people got offer letters in the fall, from the March announcement. So it's not hopeless. Definitely apply.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In the past, HR has expedited paperwork for people that were selected, but getting close to the deadline. If the initial test is in March, you may get selected in time. Worth a shot.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I'm finally building up some experience training others and I've really not been enjoying it. I've yet to have a developmental that gives a crap and it's pretty irritating. I'm also really friendly, patient, and bookish so they like to give me the trainees that are struggling so they're not getting constantly demoralized by the more aggressive controllers.

I'm not certain it's been a good tactic for anyone involved, as my recommendation rate is pretty low so far. I'm even looking at going through a training review board (official process to extend or terminate training) with one of my developmentals within a month. I've never done that before.

You have to remember that there may be reasons that they're struggling outside of aggressive trainers. It's definitely not good if they don't seem to give a crap. Our last washout seemed to have that kind of attitude. Good guy, I'm pretty sure he could do the job, but his attitude leaned towards not giving a gently caress until he was in front of the review board. He would also let situations develop way longer than he should have.

I've told them I'd wanted to wait a couple of years after getting checked out before I started training but I realized that wasn't feasible under current conditions. I'm hoping I'll just be a backup for a while as I continue to learn.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I updated the second post with more fleshed out information on the hiring process. I'll continue to work on it as needed:

quote:

What's the pre employment test?

The Air Traffic Selection And Training test (ATSAT) is an 8 hour cognitive ability test taken on computer. It's split into the following sections (click the section names for more complete information, courtesy of Stuckmic.com):

Analogies, AY; Word and visual anaologies. The world analogies focus not just on the meaning of the words, but also similarities in their spelling or pronunciation.
Angles, AN; You're shown a variety of angles and asked to pick from a selection of numerical degrees that best represent that angle
Applied Math, AM; Time/Distance problems, most of which resolve to specific minutes AND seconds. You can't use scratch paper or a calculator.
Dials, DI; You're shown a variety of dials and gauges and asked to describe their incrementation, or to read the dial/gauge value.
Experiences Questionnaire, EQ; A short questionnaire about how you'd describe your personality. This is not the MMPI2 psychological questionnaire, which you take later on during your medical screening.
Letter Factory, LF; A puzzle game where colored letters travel down from the top of the screen on four conveyor belts at varying speeds and must be placed in specific boxes at the bottom.
Scan, SC; A screen is filled with data tags for aircraft, each containing a 2-digit, 2-letter ID. At the bottom is a range between two numbers. Any aircraft whose ID falls outside of this range needs to be excluded by typing the 2-digit aircraft ID and then the enter key. You keep filtering out unwanted aircraft as more are added, and the range of numbers at the bottom occasionally changes.
ATC Scenarios; A basic representation of a radar screen with simulated aircraft. You have to guide them to their landing runway or outside of the airspace along the proper routes while maintaining separation from other aircraft and the airspace boundary itself.

The starting pay seems really low

Starting salary for attending the academy is quite low, but supplemented with a per-diem that was around $80-90/day when I was there last. Some is only usable for housing, but the incidentals portion of the per diem can be spent or saved as you see fit. When I ran the numbers for my stay at the academy, I calculated I was really making more like $30k-35k effectively with the per diem figured in. It was livable for me, your mileage may vary.

Once you pass the academy and report to your facility, you start at the bottom of that facility's AG (academy grad) pay band. It's about $37,000/yr now I think plus a locality adjustment (what they call their cost of living adjustment) of between 14-35% depending on the geographical area of your facility. As you earn certifications through your facility, you hit certain Development Steps (D#) and start making the bottom of that pay band. Here they are for 2014 (you get 14-35% locality pay on top of this amount based on your location):

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've been looking for an updated pay chart. Thanks!

(I'm terminally lazy.)

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Ferret King posted:

A close call at New York's JFK airport:

http://7online.com/travel/jetblue-flight-stops-short-during-takeoff-at-kennedy-airport/479757/

I'm gonna see if I can get LiveATC recordings of the incident in a bit.

EDIT:

Found the audio from the tower. Not sure if anything happened on Ground Control's frequency that would have added to this confusion, I'm still looking.

Here's the audio file, incident occurs at 00:40

Tower: Carribean 526 can you hold short of 22R?
Tower: Carribean 526 STOP
Tower: JetBlue 1295 abort takeoff
Tower: JetBlue 1295 do you require any assistance?
Tower: JetBlue 1295 turn right Golf, taxi right Bravo
JetBlue: Right Golf, right Bravo and we'll advise, we'll get back to ya JetBlue 1295

Here are the paths that each plane took:

First I'm hearing of this, any more details?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

I updated the second post with more fleshed out information on the hiring process. I'll continue to work on it as needed:

How long does it take to work through the different D levels?

I'm really excited about the new hiring round coming up. I washed out at the Bio-Q last time. Probably will again, because that thing made no sense.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Bramble posted:

How long does it take to work through the different D levels?

It varies greatly. Several months each, usually. It depends on the size of the facility, the complexity, the availability of training time, your personal initiative and talent, and even more factors. Complete certification times range from 6 months at super sleepy facilities (or super human trainees) to 5 years for really back-logged facilities or poor trainees, and everywhere in between.

I spend about 6 months at each D step overall at a level 6 facility. Certifying in 1.5yrs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Why do the level 4/5/6 not have a D1, 4/5 not have a D2, and 4 not have a D3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Locator posted:

Why do the level 4/5/6 not have a D1, 4/5 not have a D2, and 4 not have a D3?

They're not complex enough to warrant the additional incremental steps. They don't have as many sectors/positions to certify on.