Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

cigaw posted:

Interesting! Thanks for the answer!

I wish there was an easier way of knowing when or where you might be refused one but I guess it just comes down to familiarity with the facilities around you. I imagine that being bounced over to FSS to file a plan after weather moved in would suck but screw the people gaming the system trying to airfile to Teterboro lol

Sometimes around big events that have a bunch of private jet level rich people attending you'll see a notam warning that pop up IFR clearances won't be available. Inevitably people still try. Apparently it was a total poo poo-show in AUS after the first F1 race there when something like 60+ bizjets all tried to get IFR clearances at basically the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

Sometimes around big events that have a bunch of private jet level rich people attending you'll see a notam warning that pop up IFR clearances won't be available. Inevitably people still try. Apparently it was a total poo poo-show in AUS after the first F1 race there when something like 60+ bizjets all tried to get IFR clearances at basically the same time.

Apparently the FAA turned off funding for Augusta to have a tower for the Masters this year.

SHOULD BE FUN.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

I remember going to flight school in Daytona Beach (no, I was too poor for Embry Riddle) and the entire airport shutting down for the Daytona 500 because of the TFR.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

MrYenko posted:

Apparently the FAA turned off funding for Augusta to have a tower for the Masters this year.

SHOULD BE FUN.
Now if they can just quit supporting the goddamn EAA, we'd be set.

Man I hate EAA.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Why does that Subaru break down every time you look at it, Travis", Punchy said. I nearly fell out of the jump seat in my Brat, aghast. "That thing a princess?" I coughed and gulped. "Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy", I said

Just because of Oshkosh, or it it deeper than that?

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Sagebrush posted:

Just because of Oshkosh, or it it deeper than that?
Yeah, I should say I hate airventure specifically. I don't really know anything about the organization otherwise.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

What's wrong with the EAA? They lobby against privatization. That alone makes them okay by me, and I actually have to work the Oshkosh madness.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Got a piece of paper yesterday saying I'm an essential person who's eligible for the vaccine. I've already gotten my first dose with the second already scheduled. LOL

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

its all nice on rice posted:

Got a piece of paper yesterday saying I'm an essential person who's eligible for the vaccine. I've already gotten my first dose with the second already scheduled. LOL

An essential worker with priority for the vaccine (that depends on your state and local authorities deciding they agree with the federal guidelines which Florida doesnít.)

The FAA is perpetually a day late and a dollar short.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I got my second shot a bit over a week ago. The FAA is still completely reliant on the states. Our ATM was working on something with the national guard at one point but that fell through. It didn't matter though as our county did a mass vaccination and we lost like half the facility at once for both doses.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

...and we lost like half the facility at once for both doses.

One sup in my building mentioned at one point that we should like, ask permission to get vaccinated so as to not turbo-gently caress the schedule.

I laughed at him. And not like a spiteful gently caress-you kind of laugh. A full on genuine laugh where I almost couldnít talk or breathe. Because the FAA hasnít given a single gently caress about my well being at any point so far; Iím not asking their loving permission to get vaccinated.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

One sup in my building mentioned at one point that we should like, ask permission to get vaccinated so as to not turbo-gently caress the schedule.

I laughed at him. And not like a spiteful gently caress-you kind of laugh. A full on genuine laugh where I almost couldnít talk or breathe. Because the FAA hasnít given a single gently caress about my well being at any point so far; Iím not asking their loving permission to get vaccinated.

We never got past "please get it in conjunction with your weekend if possible". Then the county did what they told the facility they wouldn't do and blasted out an email about a mass vaccination site. No one was ready for it and our facrep said she told the ATM that even if something like that happened that no one would use sick leave to cover it. Well, they did. They did all get EA for the second dose at least but our staffing was a loving wreck.

Thankfully it's not a ton of people, but we do have folks shopping different vaccination dates to make sure they get EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That system is pretty much right on the ZMA/ZJX boundary. Our TMO (who is the worst kind of ladder climber) is currently about to poo poo herself in the control room because ZJX told her ďlol no, go gently caress yourself, weíre not taking any northbound traffic that youíre dumb enough to try to force through that.Ē

And yes, our TMU is dumb enough to try to force airplanes through that so they donít have to explain delays to the command center.