Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Butt Reactor posted:

In other news has anyone heard anymore about off-the-street hiring?

The one person I know that got past the biographical quiz has an ATSAT date. That's all I've heard.

In other news, our new supervisor tried to put our arrivals and departures for one of the approaches we service into essentially the same chunk of sky, yesterday, for weather...

It didn't work. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

In other news, our new supervisor tried to put our arrivals and departures for one of the approaches we service into essentially the same chunk of sky, yesterday, for weather...

It didn't work. :v:

Why the hell was a supervisor working when there was weather?

That's something you have to do under certain circumstances, but when you're getting 8 hours a month you shouldn't be doing it.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

fknlo posted:

That's something you have to do under certain circumstances, but when you're getting 8 hours a month you shouldn't be doing it.

I told my supervisors it was easier to recertify them in 30 minutes than to have them keep their currency.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

She wasn't, she called the approach and told them to shift all their turbojet departures to the DTA we normally only use for props, which runs under the main turbojet ATA. It would've worked, if all the jets wanted to go to their destinations at eight thousand feet.

She's new...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Butt Reactor posted:

In other news has anyone heard anymore about off-the-street hiring?

After the announcement closed, only a scant few were selected for entrance testing. This is the smallest test group I've seen selected out of an open announcement since I've been in the agency, I was shocked. Rumors abound of "reverse discrimination," among my coworkers, as the selections were almost totally based of responses to the Biographical Questionnaire. However, both people I know personally who were selected to advance are white males, so I think that's just more baseless whining from guys I work with whose kids applied.

The ones selected to move forward (approx 2,000 applicants out of 28,000) are now scheduled to take the entrance exam called the AT-SAT sometimes in April or May. After the testing is complete, eligible folks will move on to background checks, medical screening, interview, and selection.

My understanding is that, this time around, folks will first go to the ATC Academy in Oklahoma City, and will be placed in facilities based on their performance at the academy. If that's true, none of these folks will know where they're going until the very last minute.

I was shocked as anyone that they selected so few people. I'm hoping there will be additional announcements coming soon, since part of the wider forum-appeal of this thread was supposed to be goons who applied. So far I haven't heard of any SA users who made it through the first screen, which bums me out.

MrYenko posted:

She wasn't, she called the approach and told them to shift all their turbojet departures to the DTA we normally only use for props, which runs under the main turbojet ATA. It would've worked, if all the jets wanted to go to their destinations at eight thousand feet.

She's new...

DTA = Departure Something Something
ATA = Arrival Something Something

And yes, supervisors are lovely at working airplanes LOL. Good thing they get paid more than we do and have more opportunity for career mobility.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 25, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

My understanding is that, this time around, folks will first go to the ATC Academy in Oklahoma City, and will be placed in facilities based on their performance at the academy. If that's true, none of these folks will know where they're going until the very last minute.

I assume there are still different enroute and tower programs at the academy? It's going to be bad enough as is, I can't even imagine the clusterfuck of not knowing if you're going to some level 4 tower in Wyoming or a center until you're done.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's still split between Terminal and En Route. So they'll know at least that much before attending the academy.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

DTA = Departure Something Something
ATA = Arrival Something Something

And yes, supervisors are lovely at working airplanes LOL. Good thing they get paid more than we do and have more opportunity for career mobility.

Departure Terminal Area & Arrival Terminal Area?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Maybe. I wasn't JUST being flippant, I didn't find the terms with a Google search or in our contractions manual.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Whoever first used the terms probably could have followed the OP's lead and defined them. If he didn't completely know them, we sure as poo poo don't. Thank you, OP.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm an rear end. All of our letters with terminal facilities define the arrival and departure gates as Arrival Transition Areas, and Departure Transition Areas. I didn't realize it wasn't a common term. :v:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

MrYenko posted:

I'm an rear end. All of our letters with terminal facilities define the arrival and departure gates as Arrival Transition Areas, and Departure Transition Areas. I didn't realize it wasn't a common term. :v:

Before I went center I thought it was a common term. You aren't an rear end.

squeakygeek
Oct 27, 2005
Nobody is an rear end, but common in industry or not, the jargon makes an otherwise great thread pretty frustrating at times for the general reader.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I am just a goony nerd who doesn't work in ATC but plays London Control a lot. So sometimes I do get lost in the thread

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A fellow goon PM'd me with some questions about ATC in my area, I invited him to this thread as well and he said it'd be cool if I shared his questions since others might find it interesting:

quote:

Hey man I just had some general ATC questions I came up with while flying along, mind answering them? I think you said you worked for tower AND approach?

-what kind of screens do you guys use? I see all these pictures of ATC (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/atc-radar-20100601-600.jpg) that have these old rear end monitors and screens. do you guys have pretty updated stuff? what do you use to talk on frequency? I notice sometimes one guy will be on one, later he'll be covering three, then he'll be back to one freq.
-do you have runway diagrams on your screen?
-how do you communicate with tower? it always seems like approach guys can get info faster than I can from a tower controller, do you just have a separate radio to them?
-what kind of shifts do you have? i get tired as hell of talking on the radio but you guys go a mile a minute.

thanks man!

I've worked at two tower/approach facilities so far in my career, and they both have different radar display systems. I first worked at Waco Regional Airport (KACT, Waco TX) and we had a display and interface system called "ARTS IIe" (Automated Radar Terminal System, pronounced "arts two ee"). It looks like this:

My current facility (KCRP Corpus Christi International, Corpus Christi TX) is on a system called STARS (Standard Terminal Automation Replacement System) and it looks like this:

The most obvious differences are the square screen and color display of the STARS sytem. The old ARTS scope really does have the sweep going round-and-round. The STARS display hides the sweep. The ARTS display is photo sensitive, so it has to be a really dark room or the presentation gets washed out. STARS is back lit and much easier to see when light is present in the room (we still keep the control room fairly dark anyway, to reduce glare).

Our radio interface at CRP is called an ETVS (Enhanced Terminal Voice Switch) and looks like this:

The left most bank of buttons is where you select which frequencies you're going to receive and/or transmit on. Generally, when positions are combined up and we're working multiple frequencies, we will always broadcast and receive on all of them simultaneously. This means that sometimes pilots won't hear someone else talking on another frequency, and it can cause some irritating congestion if it's busy. You're probably familiar with what happens when two people try to transmit at once on the same frequency (it tones out and makes a loud squealing noise). Well, when we're working multiple frequencies, and two or more aircraft transmit on different ones, it all just comes in through our headset in a garbled mess. On a good day I can actually make out up to 3 airplanes simultaneously (yes this happens) and get back to each one in turn. Sometimes it's just too garbled to make out and I have to try and catch a portion of one aircraft's message so I can narrow down who to ask to "say again." Because, if you just say "say again" all 3 will call back at once.

Combining and splitting control positions/frequencies is done on a staffing and workload permitting basis. Hopefully if you're working a bunch of frequencies at once it's because it's relatively slow and you shouldn't get too much frequency congestion. Sometimes it's unavoidable and you just have to work through it and try to maintain control of your frequencies.

The middle column of the ETVS labeled G/G is for ground to ground communications. This is how we talk to the tower from downstairs and vice versa. Our line to the tower controller and the ground controller is called an "override" line. We hold the button down and we immediately patch in to that controller's headset. Some courtesy is exercised to make sure you're not interrupting them, because they can't really get rid of you as long as you have that button pressed down. Adjacent facility lines are called "shout lines." You press and hold the button down and say the name of the facility you're calling, then your facility ID, then the number of the line. That comes out through a speaker at the other facility's control position, and they have to press their corresponding button and hold it down to establish communications with you. These types of calls are easier to ignore until you have time to answer because the voice only comes through the external speaker until you actually answer the call, then the audio is routed through your headset. We also have dial lines that accept 2 or 3 digit codes and call out to other facilities. That's how we call Flight Service or Traffic Management. We also have an external line that can call out like a regular phone, but we rarely use it.

Runways are depicted on our radar scope as thin lines. The length and orientation of the line matches with the length and orientation of the runway. Then, we have dashed lines extending outward from the runway centerlines to depict that runway's final approach course for whatever instrument approach serves it. Each dash and each blank space between the dashes represents 1 nautical mile of distance. This helps us space out aircraft the proper amount on approach. This is what our basic composite radar map looks like at Corpus:

On the scopes themselves the background is black, this was taken from a PDF file I had. You can see the "V" shaped runways of Corpus Christi International where I marked it with the red line. Then the dashed final approach lines extending outward away from the airport. The little circle about 8NM north northeast of CRP is the Corpus Christi VORTAC (radio based navigational aid), and it has a final depicted because there is a VOR approach to runway 18 that comes in at an angle.

I did a write up of our working schedule in the thread already, my post is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608176#post425573775

quote:

hey, feel free to share it. I'm going to share it with my squadron too if you don't mind. A bunch of us have had questions and no one has gotten a chance to go to the radar room (other than the radar box here at NGP) and this clears up a lot of it.

is there some way to interrogate the radar contacts that you have? so that you can see what their current clearance is or what another controller has cleared them too? How does that work for practice approach requests? do you just call the corresponding tower and tell them or do you annotate it in their clearance?

The radar doesn't hold that kind of information. We keep track of route and altitude information via flight progress strips. We keep track of approach requests on them. At CRP the tower has a radar display and we coordinate climb out information by editing the aircrafts radar data block (the block of text associated with each aircraft's radar target). There are some fields we can change to indicate what runway the airplane is going to and what their climb out is. JohnClark posted an example earlier in this thread:

JohnClark posted:

Lastly, since MrYenko showed you his cool URET business for handling flight plans, here's what we use:

These are printed by printers I have never seen anywhere else, I believe the FAA keeps that company in business single-handedly. Still, antiquated though they are, flight strips contain a ton of useful information. Going from top to bottom and left to right on the uppermost strip, it has the callsign, aircraft type, and computer ID. It then has the transponder code, proposed departure time, and requested altitude. It then has the departure airport and the route of flight.

NGP tower does not have the ability to see our data blocks, we coordinate every single approach and climb out (departure instructions for training aircraft planning to go missed approach and not land) verbally through the shout line. It's a pain.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 29, 2014

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
The National Air Traffic Controllers Association just held the annual Communicating for Safety conference this week which means another round of Archie League Medal of Safety Awards. These are given to a controller or controllers from each of the 9 regions in the US for life saving actions. Gives me a lot of pride in doing this job and it's awesome to see how well all these situations were handled. The awards for 2014 are listed here https://www.natca.org/archie_league_awards.aspx and most have both audio and visual replays.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As a small and incomplete aside to Ferretkings post, centers run equipment known as either HOST (older) or ERAM (newer) that provides some measure of flight plan automation, depending on local procedures. You can call up flight plans in the computer with the flight's three digit computer ID number, or with the trackball at the radar scope itself, and all flights relevant to your sector(s) are displayed on the URET/EDST (User Response Evaluation Tool with HOST, and Enhanced Decision Support Tool, associated with ERAM) screen, next to the radar screen itself.

Our area, in fact, just got approval to turn our strip printers off when ERAM goes live, shortly. All of our flight plan data will be digitally stored and displayed. (Finally.) We'll only get paper strips when we specifically print them. Strips are still used elsewhere in the building for nonradar procedures.

Our voice system is different, as well. Named the Voice Control System, it's a pair of iPad sized touch screens mounted just below the radar scope for the R side, as well as one under the URET and one above for the D side, and an additional unit above the radar scope for a tracker. They operate in much the same way as the terminal version, except we don't have to hold anything down for override calls.

Also, there's no pictures of center equipment loving anywhere. Godamned camera-ban.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Whether you have to hold the button down or just press it once to activate is configurable by our tech ops staff for our ETVSs (the touch screen panels I posted about above). In fact, the override lines on our coordinator ETVS panels don't need to be held down. For the control positions themselves, the override and shout lines must be held, but the dial lines are push to toggle.

Sometimes the line gets stuck on, so if you get into the habit of releasing the button then cursing the person you were just talking to, eventually you're gonna get an angry call back.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 30, 2014

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

Sometimes the line gets stuck on, so if you get into the habit of releasing the button then cursing the person you were just talking to, eventually you're gonna get an angry call back.

Alternatively...
"Aircraft ABC went unsuccessful do you have information?"
"Aircraft abc is (lists all information) but there seems to be something missing"
"I think you listed it all"
"For the airplane yes but I missed your number"

She is fair game if shes not in the area code right? Or was it state?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Found this cool image depicting current approach control radar (TRACON) equipment in the US: (Click HERE for larger version)

I explained STARS and ARTS IIe in my post above

Blue areas are STARS facilities:

Red areas are ARTS IIe facilities:

Green areas are ARTS IIIe/CARTS (Common ARTS) facilities:

ARTS IIIe displays look a lot like STARS but some of the functionality is different in ways that I don't recall anymore. The FAA academy had both STARS and ARTS IIIe simulators when I went for radar training years ago, but I don't completely recall the differences. The map background and radar target presentation were very very similar, it was mostly differences in user interface I think. Note also the lack of physical settings knobs on either side of the ARTS IIIe display's frame. The same settings can be tweaked using a GUI in both the ARTS IIIe and STARS displays, but STARS also has physical knobs that I guess are supposed to mimic the old-timey analogue feel of the green, round, ARTS IIe radar scope. Both STARS and ARTS IIIe have user preference settings that can be saved and loaded by each controller, so you can set your brightness and color intensities to suit your tastes. The old round ARTS IIe scopes required manually twisting all those knobs to get the image exactly the way you wanted it, which may have generated the desire to retain physical controls when those facilities were switching over to STARS.

Going back to the map image:

Purple areas are Department of Defense STARS facilities.
It's the same radar scope built by Raytheon but re-tooled for specific DoD integration. At Corpus Christi International (the blue spot in southernmost Texas), we border Kingsville Naval Air Station/Approach and their DoD STARS connects with ours just fine. This allows us to transfer some amount of aircraft information between each other automatically through the radar system instead of coordinating verbally. Not really sure what other practical differences there are, and I'm probably not allowed to know.

The tiny blue dots seen in Southwest Montana and Northwest Colorado are STARS Lite. These are tiny flat panel LCD monitors that have a similar presentation to STARS, but the colors are a little different. These are used in small control towers and integrated with an overlying Center or Approach radar system for basic aircraft information transfer. I found a techno-babble PDF about them here. These displays are probably not used for actual separation of aircraft, only as an aid for the tower controller to visually acquire the aircraft and coordinate departure/arrival information with the overlying facility that actually has full function radar systems.

The tiny red dots are ARTS Ie (already I'm thinking "man, that must mean it's even shittier than ARTS IIe..."). I'm not exactly sure what these are, but I think these are the tower versions of the old round ARTS IIe scopes pictured above. I'm not certain that's what it was called, but there's one in the tower at Waco, TX (image is the same model of display I'm thinking of, not of Waco Regional's tower itself):

I happen to know from experience that it IS a full featured radar display that can be used for separation and other normal radar services. I couldn't find any other information on it, but LOOK! I mentioned earlier that the ARTS IIe used an eraser nub style slew device instead of a trackball and there it is. Just above the bright red button off by itself to the right. Anyway, we'd use this display to work traffic late at night after we'd gone down to minimal staffing and the traffic was light. It's not an optimal display to work traffic from because it's small and the presentation isn't as clear. But it's a CRT TV-like display so it's bright enough to be usable in the daylight tower environment.

The FAA's overall plan is to modernize all US Civilian TRACONs to a STARS like system by 2020. Their progress so far and future plan summary is outlined here.

EDIT: Just a clarification on the already confusing mashup of radar technology. There is a difference between the radar tech being employed in the back room and at the radar antenna site, and the display technology being used to show it to the controller. I've been referring to the radar technology by name above in place of the names of the display screens themselves because it's just been how I've heard it referred to at my facilities. It'd be neat if we had any Tech Ops goons on the forums that could clear up anything I got horribly wrong or over simplified. Tech Ops are employed by the FAA to maintain all the equipment in the National Airspace System. Radar, Radios, aircraft navigational aids, runway and approach lighting, you name it. Some of those guys are pretty drat bright.

Airport Surface Detection Equipment:

ASDE-X is a radar system that tracks aircraft movement on the surface of the airport, and airborne targets at a very very close range to the airport. It will detect aircraft both with or without transponders, and provide tower controllers a bird's eye view of the airport surface and all things moving on it. Additionally, there are safety logic systems built into the ASDE-X that will warn of an impending conflict between aircraft operating on or near the runways. Without this system, tower controllers rely entirely on their eyeballs to work aircraft on the airport surface itself. ASDE-X allows controllers to continue a fairly normal ground operation even when visibility from the tower is 0.

Normally, aircraft that are observed on terminal radar systems are not visible to controllers on the radar screens until they're at least a hundred feet off the ground (for departures), or they drop off the radar screen when very close to the airport (for arrivals). This happens even when the terminal radar antenna is located right at the airport! This is not because the antenna CAN'T see these airplanes, mind you, but because software filters eventually exclude those airplanes to keep other ground clutter from obstructing the radar presentation, like highway vehicle traffic, trees, buildings, etc. ASDE-X continues this radar coverage all the way to the surface, enhancing situational awareness. The controller's utilize ASDE-X from a different display than the tower's main approach radar displays:

ASDE-X fuses radar input from a variety of sources. Primarily, the ASDE-X has its own antenna located at the top of the control tower. It usually looks like a white spinning disc or some sort of nautical antenna. It may be encapsulated by a radome that prevents you from seeing its movement:

It also takes input from the terminal radar antenna, nearby ADSB (a newer type of transponder based surveillance) antennas, and multilateration antennas, which are located on the airport and provide triangulation support for the main ASDE antenna:

A very small image of a multilateration antenna

These systems are present at the largest airports in the U.S. I've never worked at an airport that has one. The ASDE-X significantly improves ground operation efficiency and situational awareness. Additionally, the safety logic system built into it allows application of some ATC rules that are otherwise unavailable to controllers working without the system (the rules are too boring to explain unless you really really wanna know).

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 30, 2015

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Are you constantly reviewing NOTAMs in your airspace or do you just tower call to see? I asked for a LOC BC in HRL the other day and one of you guys knew right away that the runway was closed and the tower probably wouldn't allowed it but somehow you were able to negotiate to get us a circle to land there (thanks for that, I needed the approach).

How do you divy up the frequencies? I think Corpus approach has three (I have to reference the freqs each time cause we're mostly on UHF but button 6/8/12) I have a hunch its one for arrivals at CRP, one for arrivals at NGP, and one other?

How do you do freq switches? I know the other controllers in the sector are sitting next to you, but for tower and center switches-- someone told me there is a way to positively switch us?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

Are you constantly reviewing NOTAMs in your airspace or do you just tower call to see? I asked for a LOC BC in HRL the other day and one of you guys knew right away that the runway was closed and the tower probably wouldn't allowed it but somehow you were able to negotiate to get us a circle to land there (thanks for that, I needed the approach).

We review the Notices to Airmen daily in the morning for all airports under our control. We rely on Flight Service, or the towers of affected airports to call us for pertinent closures/notices that happen later on that same day. Big stuff is usually coordinated through us in advance by multiple sources. The towers might call the approach control position, the tower supervisor or airport manager might call our managers on the telephone, the FAA regional office or Flight Service might send us a fax. Either way, we usually get the information.

quote:

How do you divy up the frequencies? I think Corpus approach has three (I have to reference the freqs each time cause we're mostly on UHF but button 6/8/12) I have a hunch its one for arrivals at CRP, one for arrivals at NGP, and one other?

Corpus Approach is split up a lot more than you think. Valley Approach is easier to explain so I'll start there. Valley Approach sectors are Valley West, North, and East. They're almost always combined to one position. Valley Approach combined works 3 VHF frequencies and 3 UHF frequencies, and also monitors 3 clearance delivery frequencies for our untowered airports at Weslaco and Port Isabel TX. All Valley frequencies are used because the area is large enough that you can't have an aircraft on Valley West frequency over at Brownsville Airport (far East end of our airspace) doing approaches and still be able to hear them, so we must make sure aircraft are on the right frequency for their arrival airport or we risk losing them at low level (probably while they're pointed at the Mexican border waiting for a turn toward the runway at either McAllen or Brownsville airports).

Corpus Approach has a complicated sector set up to accommodate Navy Trainer traffic from NGP-Navy Corpus Airport/Truax Field.

The simpler side, configuration wise, is the one handling CRP-Corpus International Airport and other smaller fields nearby. That is almost always worked by one controller but it can be split into Corpus North, South, and West. 2 VHF frequencies, 3 UHF frequencies, and 1 Clearance Delivery frequency for RKP-Rockport Aransas Country Airport.

The East side of Corpus Approach, that handles the NGP-Navy Corpus radar pattern, and the VFR (Visual Flight Rules) practice areas for the NGP Training Wing 4 aircraft.... That's a cluster of frequencies and positions. There's Corpus Low East, High East, Mustang, and Recovery. Back in the day, all would be split up quite frequently and worked by separate controllers. Now, it's mostly worked combined to one guy during the week, or completely combined up with Corpus N, S, W at night or on the weekend. That side in its entirety has 4 VHF frequencies, 6 UHF Frequencies, and 1 Clearance Delivery frequency for NGP-Navy Corpus when their tower is closed. This is the side where frequency congestion gets a little crazy if we don't have it split up enough.

All of the Corpus Approach side sectors call themselves "Corpus Approach." All of the Valley Approach sectors call themselves "Valley Approach" even though we're all the same group of controllers and working in the same room.

quote:

How do you do freq switches? I know the other controllers in the sector are sitting next to you, but for tower and center switches-- someone told me there is a way to positively switch us?

Most of the time, our radar allows us to automatically pass the aircraft's identification to adjacent facilities using a "hand off" function. We push a simple command on our keyboard and "click" on the aircraft and it begins flashing on the receiving controllers radar display. They click the flashing aircraft to accept the hand off and then we see our own display flash back. We then know they have accepted the radar hand off of that target and we tell the pilot to switch to the new controller's frequency. It's the same process between our own sectors. The receiving controller already has flight plan information on the aircraft from whatever flight plan system their facility uses, so they know to expect someone flashing at them from a certain direction.

If the automated hand off function in the radar system fails, we have to call the adjacent controller on the shout line and perform a verbal hand off, where we tell them exactly where the aircraft is reference to a common geographical point depicted on both our radar displays (like an airway intersection, airport, or prominent landmark) and they accept the hand off by saying the words "radar contact." Almost always, the automated system works. Verbal hand offs are only required for weirdo glitches in our flight plan computer, or for aircraft operating without a transponder (the radars rely heavily on transponder replies to coordinate the location of an incoming aircraft with it's expected location and make sure the flight plan info is matching up with the right aircraft radar target).

When you first show up at any facility to begin training, one of the first things you have to do is memorize all the frequencies within your facility as well as the ones at adjacent facilities (towers, center sectors, other approaches) that you hand off to. It's a lot of numbers to remember.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 31, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yo man, this is great info. I've been sharing a lot of this with my squadron buddies. None of us ever got the standard tower/ATC tour and at least for me, I always wonder at the systems/practices at play.

How often and for what reasons do you put people in the penalty box? I was in the radar pattern at NGP last Wednesday and there was one guy requesting the full PT approach for an ILS Z from Rynol. He got an EFC time on the hold of like 20 minutes later, did it, and then got told to hold for like 10 minutes more. I was laughing my rear end off because I could hear the student try to negotiate with the controller, then get cut off as the instructor came on the radio to try to talk his way out of it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Got to work the Thunderbirds on their way off Punta Gorda, back to Nellis this morning. :unsmith: ...And then, literally five minutes later, TBird14, the C-17 going in to pick up all their GSE. :v:

A bunch of cool stuff coming out VFR from the Punta Gorda airport yesterday and today, post airshow, as well. A couple C-47s, a C-46, a C-1 Trader, and a B-25 are the highlights.

And Sun N Fun is this week!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How do airshows work, you just cordon off a block of airspace and the participants are free to do whatever in there?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

Yo man, this is great info. I've been sharing a lot of this with my squadron buddies. None of us ever got the standard tower/ATC tour and at least for me, I always wonder at the systems/practices at play.

How often and for what reasons do you put people in the penalty box? I was in the radar pattern at NGP last Wednesday and there was one guy requesting the full PT approach for an ILS Z from Rynol. He got an EFC time on the hold of like 20 minutes later, did it, and then got told to hold for like 10 minutes more. I was laughing my rear end off because I could hear the student try to negotiate with the controller, then get cut off as the instructor came on the radio to try to talk his way out of it.

Was this at night on a Friday or a weekend? When Navy Corpus Tower closes, it's 1 in 1 out instrument operations with few exceptions. On Friday the tower will close without regard to how many navy trainers are still up in the air. The past few weeks they've closed while we've had 7-9 airplanes in the immediate area, plus several expected to return from their cross country flights. In this situation, all we can do is hold people and let them in one at a time. We try to time it as close as possible so the next plane begins their final approach as soon as the first one cancels their flight plan or otherwise makes a missed approach.

Holding can also be forced on pilots that want longer, full procedure instrument approaches, when there are 10 other airplanes asking for quicker straight-in approaches. Though I'm guessing your recent situation probably was due to tower closure and not traffic congestion specifically. We still try to fit in those full procedure requests as quickly as possible.

When the tower is open, we can put you guys much closer together and let you proceed into the airport more efficiently, since your flight plan cancels on landing at a towered airport, or the tower calls us when you execute a missed approach. When the tower is closed, the preceeding arrival pilot has to call us and cancel their instrument flight plan or go missed approach and we see them again on the radar, before the next aircraft can be cleared for the approach. It slows things down considerably, it's not something we like to be doing when there are a bunch of airplanes trying to get into Navy Corpus, but we do not control the Navy Tower's schedule.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

How do airshows work, you just cordon off a block of airspace and the participants are free to do whatever in there?

Air shows are run by an "air boss", who doesn't really control but remains in contact with air show participants and cues the next participants when it's time to go.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FrozenVent posted:

The MacDill, Punta Gorda, and Lakeland (SunNFun) air shows all had/have a 5nm radius TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) placed on them, from the surface to 15,000ft MSL. During the show, that airspace belongs to the air boss, and we just avoid it.

As an example, Fort Myers approach owns the area where the PGD TFR was located, from surface to 10,000 MSL. We own above that, so it impacts our operations. Tampa owns surface to 12,000, so the MacDill TFR impacted our ops, as well, and the LAL TFR will do the same. LAL actually more than most, because we have traffic going through that chunk of sky.

Orlando approach owns all the way up to 16,000, though, so if they were to have an air-show at say, Kissimmee, they probably wouldn't even bother to tell us, unless it was near the lateral boundary.

*NOTE: All air shows are different, always check your NOTAMS.*

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Zochness posted:

The National Air Traffic Controllers Association just held the annual Communicating for Safety conference this week which means another round of Archie League Medal of Safety Awards. These are given to a controller or controllers from each of the 9 regions in the US for life saving actions. Gives me a lot of pride in doing this job and it's awesome to see how well all these situations were handled. The awards for 2014 are listed here https://www.natca.org/archie_league_awards.aspx and most have both audio and visual replays.

I just read a news article about this incident and enjoyed the extra perspective from the controller. He was pretty shaken up by it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHUKkyfXGNE

Portland Press Herald posted:

“When they get below 300 feet, from our line of sight they’re below the horizon and there’s a whole backdrop of lights – there’s the cruise ship terminal, ships in the harbor, of course the airport lighting itself,” DiMillo said. “Picking out an aircraft like that with one little tiny light on its nose is very difficult, as opposed to airliners with a huge array of lights that you can see 10 miles away.”

But at the same time, the human element is essential, he said. A controller can tell quickly that a given plane is slowing, as its nose starts to dip.

THE CALL TO ABORT LANDING

DiMillo said that when he noticed the light on the single-engine plane’s nose, he could sense something wasn’t right, but depth perception is difficult at night. He checked ground radar, which picked up the plane as it descended below 300 feet, confirming his suspicions.

Ground radar, aka ASDE-X was invaluable in being able to determine the aircraft's orientation against an array of city and harbor lights.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Possible best part of working at a center:

Access to the cartographers cabinet.

:getin:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Any of you current controllers want to come to Corpus Christi? JohnClark? You look like you could use a break?

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/366485500

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

The Ferret King posted:

Any of you current controllers want to come to Corpus Christi? JohnClark? You look like you could use a break?

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/366485500
I'm so addicted to leaving PCT I've got an RSS feed from usajobs ;)

But believe it or not I have a release date to ORD tower, December 14th is my last day at Potomac! I bid on an FLM job at MSN as well, we'll see how that goes.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

JohnClark posted:

I'm so addicted to leaving PCT I've got an RSS feed from usajobs ;)

But believe it or not I have a release date to ORD tower, December 14th is my last day at Potomac! I bid on an FLM job at MSN as well, we'll see how that goes.

I hope you love doing ground.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I hope you love doing ground.
Never done tower, but I can't wait to learn. I got to visit ORD a couple years ago and it was amazing, if intimidating for a radar-only guy like me.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

JohnClark posted:

Never done tower, but I can't wait to learn. I got to visit ORD a couple years ago and it was amazing, if intimidating for a radar-only guy like me.

Busy place like ORD you aren't going to get the tower experience you might be expecting. Places like that, if ORD's volume is similar to ATL/JFK, normally have people wash out in ground control. Not local. That is the complete opposite of most towers where normally most of the real complexity comes from the local control position.

Sadly, as a radar guy, you might not truly appreciate the complexity going on at a place like ORD since the real poo poo kicking happens at ground control, whereas a place that has busy local traffic a radar guy can walk upstairs and immediately see shenanigans and appreciate it.

Then again, a place like ORD might have an ASDE. Ground radar. Neat tool, never used it though.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
So Tommy 2.0, how are you enjoying Masters week? :supaburn:

The Masters golf tournament is taking place in Augusta, GA. Augusta approach control is located right below the airspace I work in Atlanta Center, and part of Jacksonville Center. For this one week every April, the traffic going into AGS and satellite airports becomes crazy busy. Numerous routings and altitude restrictions have to be put into place to make the traffic flow manageable. Sometimes there are so many that they run out of parking at the terminal, and we have to hold them in our airspace, which I was doing on Thursday. At least I'm on Sat/Sun days off now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We had twenty in trail to ATL/AGS in addition to the altitude caps, but PBI and MIA approach give zero fucks, and were throwing them at us at three and increasing. (Mostly.)

:suicide:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Twenty In Trail - A requirement to have airplanes with a common destination at least 20 miles separated longitudinally. Normally this would be 5 miles in nominal traffic conditions, so this is a big slow down to try and keep people from having to hold when airborne.

Altitude Caps - An altitude restriction probably much lower than what aircraft would normally want to climb to for their cruise to that airport. This keep the airplanes slower (the lower you are, the thicker the air, the slow you go, generally) and also frees up the higher altitudes for normal traffic NOT destined to the special event airport.

PBI is West Balm Beach airport, Florida.

Three and Increasing - 3 miles and increasing. The West Palm Beach and Miami Approach controls were showing their disinterest in the traffic issues facing Augusta/Atlanta by giving MrYenko planes separated by as little as 3 miles when the requested interval was 20 miles. "Mostly" is partially a joke, since less than 3 miles would be a simple loss of separation in most areas, so if they were handing planes over with less than 3 it was really a tight squeeze and maybe not legal.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

The Ferret King posted:

Three and Increasing - 3 miles and increasing. The West Palm Beach and Miami Approach controls were showing their disinterest in the traffic issues facing Augusta/Atlanta by giving MrYenko planes separated by as little as 3 miles when the requested interval was 20 miles. "Mostly" is partially a joke, since less than 3 miles would be a simple loss of separation in most areas, so if they were handing planes over with less than 3 it was really a tight squeeze and maybe not legal.

In that case, would you try to increase seperation somehow (I assume having the trailing plane do a few circles), or just deal with it in some other manner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

E4C85D38 posted:

In that case, would you try to increase seperation somehow (I assume having the trailing plane do a few circles), or just deal with it in some other manner?

In the approach environment at least, the quickest way to affect separation when you've lost it or nearly lost it is to issue a combination of turns and altitude adjustments to get it back.

Speed control can also be used but it takes a lot longer to get anything out of it. There's a considerable lag in the assignment of a speed instruction and the pilot's compliance, plus speed differences still take several minutes to result in extra miles.