Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

They’ve started resuming again, according to my ATC buddy at ISP.

Yeah, they resumed almost immediately. No one knows if the agency said gently caress it, keep running, or what the hell is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
This is horrible and hilarious all at the same time.
On an unrelated note, there are reports of lice in my facility.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Someone took a poo poo in a trash can, here.

Seriously cannot make this stuff up.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrYenko posted:

First I thought this was made up stuff on this comedy forum. Then I saw the second sentence and did a spittake. Good thing I'm socially distanced.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MrYenko posted:

What an absolute legend

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
We had someone piss in a trash can on the mid last year.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
That's what the sink in the tower is for.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

MrYenko posted:

White Book, is that you?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pregnant women are supposed to be out of the building and they sent ours back to the dysim lab for metroplex training.

e: they've supposedly sent her home now.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 23, 2020

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's about time they sent most of us home.

For anyone who that doesn't read their NATCA emails:

NATCA posted:

The following employees in FAA air traffic control facilities are deemed non-essential and will be placed on excused absence:

Tower: employees not certified on local or ground control.

·     Tower/Approach (Up/Down): employees not certified on the above referenced positions in either the Tower or the Approach Control.

·     Approach Control: employees not certified on a radar position.

·     En Route: employees not certified on any radar (R-side) position.

All facilities: Employees that are performing approved Article 45 duties as of March 19, 2020, shall be deemed as non-essential and will be placed on excused absence.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
New York Oceanic is ATC zero still. None of the oceanic controllers are monitoring the airspace or ATOP. ARINC is still manning the HF radios and telling the pilots who check in that there are no ATC services being provided and that the airspace is class G. Since there is no link between the east coast FAA facilities and Gander/Shanwick/Santa Maria pilots are showing up in ZMA/ZJU/ZJX with no coordination, at the wrong altitude, and on their own decided routings. Everyone is climbing to their highest able altitude and going fast, of their own accord. The pilots are able to log onto CPDLC but not getting any responses to their requests, nor are they making the proper position reports. Why the gently caress hasn't the FAA turned CPDLC off is beyond me. Why the gently caress don't the FAA have a LOA with the surrounding facilities to pick up their airspace? As a former arinc operator, trainee center controller, and pilot, this blows my loving mind that the FAA can be even this inept.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

its all nice on rice posted:

It's about time they sent most of us home.

haha, "most of us". I think we lost 2 d side trainees and then a couple people in the high risk group.

two_beer_bishes posted:

New York Oceanic is ATC zero still. None of the oceanic controllers are monitoring the airspace or ATOP. ARINC is still manning the HF radios and telling the pilots who check in that there are no ATC services being provided and that the airspace is class G. Since there is no link between the east coast FAA facilities and Gander/Shanwick/Santa Maria pilots are showing up in ZMA/ZJU/ZJX with no coordination, at the wrong altitude, and on their own decided routings. Everyone is climbing to their highest able altitude and going fast, of their own accord. The pilots are able to log onto CPDLC but not getting any responses to their requests, nor are they making the proper position reports. Why the gently caress hasn't the FAA turned CPDLC off is beyond me. Why the gently caress don't the FAA have a LOA with the surrounding facilities to pick up their airspace? As a former arinc operator, trainee center controller, and pilot, this blows my loving mind that the FAA can be even this inept.

I'll have you know that safety was never compromised!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

I'll have you know that safety was never compromised!

God bless TCAS!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

two_beer_bishes posted:

As a former arinc operator, trainee center controller, and pilot, this blows my loving mind that the FAA can be even this inept.

This is absolutely not intended as a dig at you, but you weren’t around the agency long enough to fully appreciate what a failure cascade it really is. It’s fail stacked on incompetence stacked on indecision stacked on mistakes.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

two_beer_bishes posted:

As a former arinc operator, trainee center controller, and pilot, this blows my loving mind that the FAA can be even this inept.

hahahahahahahahah

*takes breath*

OK, serious. Were you not paying attention AT ALL or something? People fail UP in the FAA.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

This is absolutely not intended as a dig at you, but you weren’t around the agency long enough to fully appreciate what a failure cascade it really is. It’s fail stacked on incompetence stacked on indecision stacked on mistakes.

You're absolutely right about that, but I certainly saw plenty of examples that prove that too.

I just keep looking for a glimmer of hope that someone in management there is doing the right thing. I guess not.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Some of them might be, but the machine is way too big and stupid for it to matter.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The agency only cares about keeping the NAS open to make the boss happy. That's it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Day 2: there are still planes flying over my house. Seattle is in a south flow. The NAS appears intact for the time being.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

its all nice on rice posted:

Day 2: there are still planes flying over my house. Seattle is in a south flow. The NAS appears intact for the time being.

Reddit is talking about all facilities going to skeleton crews right now. Traffic was supposed to continue falling off a cliff this week.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, we’re finally down to 3 sectors, instead of 7. Also, they apparently just terminated all OJT.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Ya, we’re finally down to 3 sectors, instead of 7. Also, they apparently just terminated all OJT.

Yeah, that was apparently part of the telcon where the skeleton crew thing was talked about. We ran 2 sectors pretty much all week. We had to split out to 3 or 4 a couple times and that's it. We were at 6 pretty much all day the week before. If this stays like this all summer I might actually make it through the year.

I wonder how that plays with the administration deciding that we're just going to sacrifice people to make the stock market happy?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 24, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's no secret that I hate it here at ZDV and before all this virus poo poo started I just assumed that I wasn't going to make it through this year without some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. I asked my OM about what needed to be in a 2 weeks notice a while back. He has resigned from the agency once, so I figured he'd actually know. This apparently freaked them out hard enough that they're offering me a temp sup job. That wasn't my intent, but hell, I'll take it. I need to figure out if I can still get picked up on an ERR after accepting but before actually becoming a sup. I doubt that changes my decision but it would be nice to know. I'm just trying to give myself as many avenues as possible to get the gently caress out of here.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Who is enjoying watching their coworkers melt the gently caress down about the FAA's staffing contingency implementation, and all the scammers with previously-unreported medical conditions losing their excused leave free rides? I know I am. :mmmhmm:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Who is enjoying watching their coworkers melt the gently caress down about the FAA's staffing contingency implementation, and all the scammers with previously-unreported medical conditions losing their excused leave free rides? I know I am. :mmmhmm:

They haven't announced what we'll be doing here, but what exactly are people melting down about? I know we'll be going to something very different from what we're doing but it will supposedly include a shitload of time not at work. How did they get the scammers?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

They haven't announced what we'll be doing here, but what exactly are people melting down about? I know we'll be going to something very different from what we're doing but it will supposedly include a shitload of time not at work. How did they get the scammers?

Effective the same time this plan goes into action, anyone on FMLA (which was previously being coded as excused, and resulted in like, thirty or forty previously-undisclosed medical issues,) will now be on actual FMLA leave, which means either LWOP or burn your own leave.

Also, the elimination of AWS and rotating days off. The senior crews are crying like little bitches.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Effective the same time this plan goes into action, anyone on FMLA (which was previously being coded as excused, and resulted in like, thirty or forty previously-undisclosed medical issues,) will now be on actual FMLA leave, which means either LWOP or burn your own leave.

Also, the elimination of AWS and rotating days off. The senior crews are crying like little bitches.

ahahaha, and under the new guidance they can't come to work either can they? So they just totally hosed themselves by being pieces of poo poo. Please tell me that's a national thing.

People with seniority are the absolute biggest bitches. Your days off don't even matter right now, it's not like you can do anything on them. Just take the 2 weeks you're going to get off and shut the gently caress up.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Apparently NY went ATC Zero again last night for a deep clean for a guy that hasn't been there for 10 days anyway.
Government!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Houston center was closed for cleaning from 0400-1100z tonight. I didn't even know they had a case. We asked another center (atlanta?) if we could cut the corner through their space and were told no, even though it was 2 am and we were the only plane within 100nm.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

We asked another center (atlanta?) if we could cut the corner through their space and were told no, even though it was 2 am and we were the only plane within 100nm.

#JustZTLThings

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just accepted that temporary supervisor bid. What have I done? A change of pace will be nice and hopefully it will open more doors to get back to KC. It might take a bit longer, but with the way things were going with NCEPT before all this virus poo poo that's not a given at all.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Well my academy start date of May 6th is back on, all online classes, same pass/fail, same trainee pay but no per diem and they are sending me an IPad to Zoom in on.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That doesn’t sound like the reactive no-idea-too-good-to-sit-on-and-debate-for-literally-three-years FAA that I know...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

That doesn’t sound like the reactive no-idea-too-good-to-sit-on-and-debate-for-literally-three-years FAA that I know...

Don't worry, they'll still find a way to gently caress it up.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PT6A posted:

Don't worry, they'll still find a way to gently caress it up.

The ipad will be locked with a 16-digit PIN stored in a .txt document labelled ".jpeg" on some dude's hard drive some where, and zoom won't be pre-installed.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
If it's anything like the ipad I got, the pin is printed out with a label maker and stuck on the stylus :downs:
You also have to change the pin every few months, but can't use a previous one :downs:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Facility reduced hour list is out.

The CPR open time is confusing as they're by far the busiest in the morning when a bunch of Sky West/Key Lime/Alpine Air/Air Spur's all go in and out of there. Our low traffic hasn't subsided at all and it has been a real pain in the rear end without having to deal with getting all these dudes in and out of our busiest low airport.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I wonder what the plan for bringing people back is. I've talked with some other trainees, and we've not heard anything outside of the NATCA emails.
All of us will need to be recertified when we get back, and classes will need to be rescheduled. It was pretty obvious I wouldn't be starting radar classes this week.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Us staff haven't been told anything really.

I schedule training for my facility. We're gonna have to play catch-up. Everything is so backlogged now compared to where we were in February.

And they're still sending people to us. Folks are transferring and going straight to sitting at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Thinking about applying for an air safety inspector job for the airlines. But first I have to redo my entire resume in their byzanitine format. Why is the government like this? Would the whole thing just be an exercise in screaming "there's a less stupid way to do this!"?