Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Grey plane with four engines, a huge whale tail, a weight issue, and super saggy wings? C-17, baby!

Mollymauk posted:

The little aesthetic stuff like the Boeing window nose side closest to the door has a Nevada shape where Airbuses look like an SD card is neat though.

My basics instructor had a very aggressive reaction when a student didn't recognize that Boeing window.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mollymauk posted:

. Also all of the Boeing's names are like Boeing 757 and none of the designators are the same as the name (B752/B753).

If it didn't get explained anywhere, Boeing designators are just dropping the last "7" from the model name and replacing it with the specific version, so the 757-200 is 752, 737-800 is 738, etc...

Keeping Piper designators straight is kind of a pain in the rear end, but like Cessna, bigger/more complex airplane generally equals bigger number, which might help.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
azflyboy has the right of it, the best way I found was like he demonstrated, to group aircraft that look similar and then memorize their distinctive features. A quick example is the CRJ-200/700/900 vs the E-145. They both have dual rear-fuselage mounted engines, but the cowl on the E-145 covers the entire engine, while the exhaust nozzle of the CRJ series is visible extending beyond the cowling.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Keeping Piper designators straight is kind of a pain in the rear end, but like Cessna, bigger/more complex airplane generally equals bigger number, which might help.

Thank you, that will at least help me rule out numbers in my mind for the Cessnas we need to know, I know if it's a CAT II then it'll be a 300+ for the number in the designator. There's more Piper fuckery in today's batch with the PAY3, bleh .

The K in military designators threw me off enough that I had to look it up to see why it was a tanker, didn't really see a great explanation beyond"T was taken and there is a K in tanker".

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Mollymauk posted:

The K in military designators threw me off enough that I had to look it up to see why it was a tanker, didn't really see a great explanation beyond"T was taken and there is a K in tanker".

I always think of kerosene as the reason for the K

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

K for Kaboom

Also, calling a KC-135 “K35R” makes baby Jesus cry.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Mollymauk posted:

That's pretty much it, same thing in the fire service. Tower ladders get the T designation, Tankers (or tenders) get the K.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

azflyboy posted:

Eh... not really, at least with the ones we see on a regular basis at my airport. PA24 is bigger than PA28, which is smaller than PA30 (which is the same size as the PA24 with an additional engine), which is a lot smaller than the PA31, which is much bigger than the PA34, which itself is bigger than the PA44.

There's no reliable rule, I think you just need to know it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I guess you also have to memorize all the abbreviations for different airlines/callsigns too, huh?

A while back I picked up flight following from Travis AFB approach control, and my flight school has its own callsign (because we are extremely cool dudes) and the controller hesitated and asked me to confirm the three-letter version of it for whatever you guys do with it behind the scenes.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sagebrush posted:

I guess you also have to memorize all the abbreviations for different airlines/callsigns too, huh?

A while back I picked up flight following from Travis AFB approach control, and my flight school has its own callsign (because we are extremely cool dudes) and the controller hesitated and asked me to confirm the three-letter version of it for whatever you guys do with it behind the scenes.

You tend to memorize the ones you need to use most often and either ask the flight crew or look it up when you encounter a new one.

Bonus points when it's a foreign carrier and the discussion devolves into further misunderstanding through the accent-barrier.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's apparently a big push for us to go back to our normal schedule. Not because of staffing or traffic, but because we're getting paid and not working.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
From the NATCA National email that went out this morning:

quote:

Trainees: employees presently on excused absence based on a non-essential determination will be recalled to duty for the purpose of receiving an over-the-shoulder and achieving the necessary time on position to retain existing certifications without a requirement to enter training. Each employee will be assigned to a specific crew for the duration of this process and must occur within 120 days since last working an operational position.

It sounds like they want us to go in, get some OJTI, get re-certified, and then go back home until this whole non-essential thing is over? Either way, if they expect me to go back and straight into over the shoulder, that's laughable. We're going on three months, and It's going to take some study time to get back up to speed.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Alright, there was not a single question about airplane ID in the block 2 test. Finishing up Pilot's Environment tomorrow. I am also the dumbest person in the world I had no idea how the hell reading an altimeter was done, the instruction didn't go into it, so I thought that if the 10,000' pointer was halfway between 7 and 8, the thousand was at 4 and the hundred was on the first tick after 5 then it was 79,520'. I had to look up an explanation mid module.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

only SR-71 pilots need to read an altimeter that high anyway

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Welp, it wasn't a rumour, we're going back to normal schedules starting pay period 16. Time to figure out how to get on the high risk list because those folks don't have to come back.

e: apparently some people have been bitching to management about their workload too. I don't understand how as we've had more than enough people to open sectors since we went 5/5. Thanks for ruining the best thing that has ever happened in this career field!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 18, 2020

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Alright Block three test tomorrow, then we start on weather which all the instructors seem to hate?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
In case something happens to the forums, we've started an Aviation Goons discord here https://discord.gg/FmCNyHq

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is this for real (1:38)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx8rglGpZd0&t=98s

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"Are you ready for a phone number"

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Bring your wife, we'll gently caress her. That's right, we'll gently caress your wife!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
ZLA with 2 positives in 2 different areas. They'll go ATC zero on the mid for a couple hours for cleaning.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Got called in, recertified, met minimums, then got sent home. ZSE is running the 5/5 for the foreseeable future.
We're entering the highest traffic volume weeks. Rumor mill is that if they can get past these weeks with the current staffing/schedule, non-essentials will be home for a considerable time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

its all nice on rice posted:

Got called in, recertified, met minimums, then got sent home. ZSE is running the 5/5 for the foreseeable future.
We're entering the highest traffic volume weeks. Rumor mill is that if they can get past these weeks with the current staffing/schedule, non-essentials will be home for a considerable time.

We're at about 60% of normal traffic already and it's been getting busier every week. So as of now we're still going back to a normal schedule for pay period 16. I've been saying that once July 4th is the super spreader event of the century that things will probably drop off again but who the hell knows any more?

Hearing the day shift controllers talk about how it's needed because they regularly have to open 4 sectors while having 7 controllers is pretty loving infuriating.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So each facility gets to set their schedule huh?

Sounds like some are still hanging on to the 5/5 and some are creeping to 5/2.

Anybody still running 5/10?

I also think air traffic will rebound faster than anyone anticipates... No way it takes 5 years to rebound like some have suggested.

Krime fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 1, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The schedule varies by facility and there are definitely still some on the 5/10 schedule. The return to normal traffic hinges on so many things that it's hard to predict. If nothing else were to change I'd agree that it wouldn't take 5 years. I think poo poo is about to get weird though.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!
ATCers, when do you think AI with automate the entire Tower?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ZMA is still nominally 5/10, but we had a positive case on C(orona) crew, and swapped some things around to get them 14 days for quarantine. Once they come back, we’re headed back to 5/10. ZMA has the advantage that this time of year is frequently MUCH slower than the winter, which is helping. Only two of the six areas really come off midops for more than an hour or two a day, currently.

We also got a new facility manager right before this all started that actually seems to have a loving backbone. Our previous FacMan would have folded like a wet dishrag the first time an OM suggested going to normal schedules. Our new FacMan and FacRep told them to stuff it; I’m still in disbelief.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

NGC773 posted:

I'll let Euro or Cana-goons take this one because I think it will be sometime after the US collapses later in the year, so I'm not really sure.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

NGC773 posted:

Towers will be the last thing to be automated.

I could see oceanic being the first. But I'd estimate that being at least a decade away, and a slow step-down of humans/increase in automation.

It'll also take stuff like ADSB being absolutely mandatory.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

St_Ides posted:

ADS-B should have been mandatory at introduction.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One of the two questions I got wrong on my PPL knowledge test was about where ADS-B is required, because it seems like an impossibly obvious safety feature and also I live under a Mode C veil and it's never even been in question :mad:

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Thanks to all that helped even though there was not a single aircraft ID question on the final. Next step online Radar basics for two weeks then I'm off to OKC.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NGC773 posted:

As soon as we have cars that can drive themselves. You could probably automate large parts of the enroute environment a couple years before that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NGC773 posted:

All transportation infrastructure that is run in an environment where multiple vehicles can collide will never be fully automated unless "hard" AI is invented. Train systems that are tightly controlled like airport shuttle trains and some simpler light rail systems can be fully automated and if anything looks a touch off the entire thing shuts down and conductors and dispatchers need to step in and unfuck everything which can shut down systems for some time.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

St_Ides posted:

Towers will be the last thing to be automated.

I could see oceanic being the first. But I'd estimate that being at least a decade away, and a slow step-down of humans/increase in automation.

Can't you get virtual towers? Central ops rooms where the air traffic is coordinated for several airports.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NGC773 posted:

Can't you get virtual towers? Central ops rooms where the air traffic is coordinated for several airports.

The point of a tower is to allow the controllers to see what's going on at the field. It's especially important that controllers be able to see the airplanes for VFR operations and ground control. No, I do not think this can be replaced with a bunch of cameras. (Maybe I'm just a luddite but knowing how easy it is to spot airplanes in real life vs. on a flight simulator screen...eesh)

There are already enroute centers that coordinate traffic over a wide area using only radar; that's what people are suggesting might be automated eventually. Those centers always hand control over to the tower (or just to the pilot, in case of an untowered airport) when the aircraft gets close to the field.

Here are the ARTCCs ("Oakland Center," "Miami Center") that a pilot will talk to when they're in the middle of a long distance flight

Here are the TRACONs ("Norcal Approach," "Seattle Departure") that a pilot will talk to as they get closer to a big airport

There's a bunch of stuff about how ATC works as a megapost near the beginning of the thread.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 2, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NGC773 posted:

That's not anything even close to automation. It's still humans doing tower stuff, just without being in a tower at that exact field.

I'm off starting today, but yesterday was pretty loving busy, presumably for the holiday weekend. 4th of July is gonna spread some rona like crazy.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

fknlo posted:

That's not anything even close to automation. It's still humans doing tower stuff, just without being in a tower at that exact field.

I'm off starting today, but yesterday was pretty loving busy, presumably for the holiday weekend. 4th of July is gonna spread some rona like crazy.

I forget, you in Denver or KC now?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Krime posted:

I forget, you in Denver or KC now?

Still at ZDV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

PHX and DFW terminals were packed this week. All of my flights were 60-90% full (except PHX-NYL, only 15 people on that one).