Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Thanks to anyone on NorCal Approach or Reno tower for putting up with me and slowing down a bit to read me the wind when I don't pick up on it the first time

Especially the guy who held traffic short of the runway when I was 15 miles out in a 172 :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Tommy 2.0 posted:

o_O

There more to this?

Nope, he cleared me to land and then I heard him talking to someone else on frequency to hold short of 16L, my runway, due to traffic (specifically mentioned a skyhawk so I know it was me)

He realized a few minutes later and cleared the guy to leave

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

its all nice on rice posted:

In flight school I misheard, and improperly read back, a runway assignment for landing (on my first solo flight nonetheless). Tower was not happy with me when I was on final for right instead of left.

I mean, what I've learned is that it's ATC's job to catch incorrect readbacks and if they don't correct you, you're legally in the clear

Not that they'll be happy with you, of course, and with good reason. I've had controllers read the incorrect runway to me (when one was closed for maintenance when I left but not closed when I returned) and that's a little shot of self-confidence, catching a controller's tiny mistake :smuggo:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Legally, yes, but legality matters a lot less if two airplanes become a single cloud of falling debris. The pilot/controller interface is a huge human factors hotspot, and both parties should be doing everything in their power to ensure that they are both on the same page.

As a reminder, if you miss a readback that I don't catch, I still get to go home after the end of my shift.

Oh definitely, and my instructor was very clear on asking for a repeat of any instruction/recommendation/clearance if I didn't 100% hear it the first time, to avoid bad readbacks that could start an issue in any way. I've even requested "resume own navigation" to be repeated to me because I hadn't heard that specific instruction said to me before (because I'm a baby pilot).

Do you have any recommendations for how to deal with ATC other than "have your ducks in a row and your thoughts in order before calling"?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Brevity is the soul of wit, and also of radio communications.

More seriously, when you tune a new frequency, or if you have a request, break your concentration on other things, and actually listen to the freq for a few seconds, before keying up. I listened to a tape the other day of a loss of separation between two air carriers at altitude, and literally right in the middle of the controller trying to pry two airplanes apart using "Immediately" and other capitalized words (between an immediately clearance and the loving read back,) an Air Canada at cruise breaks in and asks how the rides are.

:wtc:

For a more GA-centric reply, I'd much prefer you make me aware that you're out there and looking for something, and let me ask you for the other info I need, instead of keying up with:

"Uhhhhh center, this is November three one five Mike Romeo ahhhh we're a bonanza bee eee three five slant golf ahhhhh at one thousand four hundred, climbing to five thousand five hundred, one five miles south ahhhhh south east of lakeland, ahhhh that's lima alpha lima, uhhhhh looking for flight following to Tamiami, thats kilo, tango, mike, aahhhhhhhh, bravo."

That guy just wasted thirty seconds of my frequency time, and now I'm behind on six things I need to do with IFR aircraft. If he had just checked on "Center, November three one five Mike Romeo, VFR request," I can get to him as soon as I have a moment, without getting behind on my higher-priority tasks.

Basically, I can make time for a pilot who isn't very good at radio comms, but I can't get time back from a pilot who doesn't realize he's poo poo at it.

Standing offer to pilot or dispatcher-goons: If you're in the Miami area, I'd be more than happy to give you a center tour. Some of these things make more sense when you see them from the other side of the scope.

My instructor has definitely drilled into me to take up as little space on the airwaves as possible, including not saying my whole ID on CTAFs after the first two times or so. That said, I try to take a second or two to thank the controller I'm speaking to, and even at my baby pilot stage I feel like I'm getting good at saying "contactingtower118.7thankyousirskyhawk123" and such.

I'm moving to the Fort Lauderdale area soon and probably will be hanging around KFXE a lot, so I might just come down the way and take you up on that offer at some point!

hjp766 posted:

If it's busy adopt the "Contact Director, Callsign only approach"... Get a gap in transmission. Then just "Director/Centre/Radar XXX123. Shut up and wait to be asked. They know you're listening. Also, what part of "Monitor" and "Standby" do people not understand.

I do this a lot with Approach and they haven't gotten mad at me yet, as far as I can tell. Skyhawks move slow as poo poo compared to everything else so it's easy to just stay outside Class C for a bit and wait for them to call me back

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

I feel bad for Reno controllers, last time I flew they had 16L closed (the one they normally put GA on because the FBO is on that side of the field) and not only were they forced to sequence airliner traffic behind my slow rear end, taxi instructions are all messed up due to the work they're doing

right now the way to get from the FBO ramp to the active runway is to taxi south out of the ramp, over to (closed to landings and takeoffs) 16L, north on it all the way to the end where you dogleg around on taxiways to avoid the large glowing X they parked there, and then over to the threshold for the active runway. normally it's just "taxi via C to 16L" and Ground is done with you

I somehow managed to pick up most of what he was getting at and my instructor filled in the rest. Another Cessna that was heading out heard all of it, waited 30 seconds, and then asked again on Ground "Can I get a clearance to leave the ramp?"

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Ugh, the forced progressive on every clearance change...wonder who was incompetent enough to muck that up for everyone.

I love (hate) the people who are that bad, but only when I'm on frequency and far away

Had a dude at RNO where the tower asked him if he had the airfield in sight, from 2 miles away, in broad daylight

First and only time I've heard a landing clearance canceled

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

Having trouble spotting a single airstrip that blends in with the landscape is one thing, but I just looked up RNO and yeah you should really be able to see that from a considerable distance.

i'm pretty sure he used the whole runway in a light twin too because the tower asked me to look for him (I was still miles away) and he was 1300' above field height on a one mile final

16L is 9,000' useable or something like that too :V some people should have their licenses pulled

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I refuse to believe that is real. It just can't be.

Are you still in Miami Center? I may have talked to you recently on frequency. I got VFR FF through uncongested areas for a cross country flight but picking my callsign out of the enormous volume of frequency traffic sucked and I didn't bother on subsequent legs

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Yup. If you talked to anyone on 127.2, 132.45, 135.17 or 134.55, it may have been me.

Where are these uncontested areas you speak of?

Low level VFR west to Immokalee and then Naples. I definitely spent some time on 132.45 but it was relatively minimal because I didn't need anything on the way out, and didn't ask for FF (because of how hellaciously busy center and Approach were) on the way back

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

That guy just wasted thirty seconds of my frequency time, and now I'm behind on six things I need to do with IFR aircraft. If he had just checked on "Center, November three one five Mike Romeo, VFR request," I can get to him as soon as I have a moment, without getting behind on my higher-priority tasks.

My instrument DPE told me that we're no longer to use the terminology "VFR Request", in favor of reading out our whole request on initial contact. Is he full of poo poo?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

He might have a teaching goal, or it might be a school/club requirement, but that’s annoying as gently caress.

He's not directly affiliated with the school I go to, and I don't believe he has a specific teaching goal. As far as I can tell, he just thinks that that way is correct.

None of the CFIs I've worked with at that school have a specific procedure for cold-contacting controllers for a request either :shrug:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I wish I could shirk my responsibilities like a congresscritter. Not having repercussions for not doing the singular loving thing you get the job to do must be nice.

At least the TFR was cancelled, this time (dunno how much extra work it is for you guys)

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

There's a prohibited area SFC-2499 over a nuclear submarine base outside of Seattle, and if you're on flight following the controllers start getting nervous when you're within 3nm laterally or about 1500' vertically of it

Then yesterday they vectored me overhead (I was IFR in VMC) at 3,000', basically directly over it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

well you're doing better than the Seattle TRACON guy who cleared a bizjet for an ILS which was notam'd out of service, then handed him over to tower

tower was a little surprised by that one. apparently the glideslope was "a little weird"

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Rincey posted:

I love fucky airspace things :allears:

Boeing Field's like that. Want to fly south? Well you're going to fly southeast for awhile at 1,500', because if you go straight south it's into SeaTac's airspace. SeaTac, by the way, is both a Class D tower and a Class B surface area. Can't go east, either, because that's Renton's airspace. Want to go straight up? Class Bravo shelf at 1,100', so don't. We've caused several RAs (including, if you believe the stories, a BA 747) by pegging the VSI too high turning downwind on the west side of the field.

The fuckiest thing is that the area over Lake Washington that's nominally Boeing's airspace... isn't, until you get to 800' MSL. Below that, it's controlled by Renton Tower. That's not marked on the chart, either- you have to check Renton's Chart Supplement, because it's not listed in BFI's. This is mostly for the benefit of the seaplane base that's just off RNT to the north.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

There's a little bit of Class D that extends west and east out of the Class B surface area. That 2,000' B shelf over the Sound west of SeaTac would allow people to get quite low and close to SeaTac, which I'm guessing they didn't want for whatever reason, so they kept the tower. The vast majority of the charted Class D airspace, though, is also Class B.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

D side labs are done and we're headed to the floor after next week!
One out of the six of us had a deal when he gave a bad clearance, so he'll have to retake tomorrow. 98% chance he'll pass.
Hello Sunday pay. Goodbye weekends.

Congrats dude! Talk to you soon!

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

I’m not a controller but I do fly out of Boeing Field and the FAA has the “careless and reckless” clause for stuff like this. What they did was absolute insanity given the airspace constraints that exist at BFI.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

The problem is that he can’t go east. Due east is Renton’s airspace up to 2500’, and class B between 2k and 3k base- tops 10k. What he ended up doing put him in a place where TRACON is used to working departures out of BFI given the prevailing traffic flow. Had that Global gone northeast, he also probably wouldn’t have been able to climb at all for awhile due to traffic on SeaTac’s downwind between 3k and 7k.

Disclaimer- not a controller, not even flying jets, just fly IFR in that particular area a lot.

E: he did contact TRACON while still in BFI’s airspace and started hassling Tower to give him their vectors, which lol

a patagonian cavy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 11, 2019

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

azflyboy posted:

BFI and Seattle are located and laid out so that there's lots of ways to have airplanes from BFI and SEA conflicting with each other.

Since Vistajet departed off runway 32 while SEA had south flow, his intended departure path conflicts with SEA departures and arrivals on the downwind, so I'm guessing he just figured he'd pick up the clearance in the air and didn't realize how boxed in BFI really is with Renton and the departure/arrival paths at SEA.

Thing is, he initially asked for closed traffic. Had he been attempting to depart airspace, they never would have given him opposite direction. There's really a ton I don't understand about what happened.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

There aren't normally long holds for release when the area is south flow, unless IFR traffic is flying into/out of Renton (because the departure/missed approach out of Renton and Boeing's departure intersect). Additionally, the only time they give people EDCT is for airports in the USA, to the best of my knowledge.

I only know that they asked for closed traffic because a copy of the recording including Ground got posted on a local Facebook group.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that the rich guy in the back wanted to see downtown Seattle before going to Athens and this is the insane way that the crew figured out how to accommodate it.

People in Youtube comments (I know, I know) are convinced that 14R had obstacles in the departure corridor so they needed 32L. It's bullshit, the RNAV 14R DP requires 507'/nm to 700'MSL and the RNAV DP for 32L requires 425'/nm to 1400. Neither would give a jet any issue. 32L does have a longer published ASDA but it's 10,000' versus 14R's 9120'. All other published takeoff distances remain identical- the full 10,000' of the runway.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

less than three posted:

CYXX is like an inch from the border and takes off into Seattle airspace that's... something.

The airspace to about overhead Bellingham and maybe a bit south is controlled by Victoria Terminal.

Every time I fly the ILS into BLI, I get my clearance from a nice man who says “decimal” when saying frequencies rather than “point”.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Four, but otherwise accurate.

I lived underneath the CVG approach path and I’d sit around with my dad and he’d point out all the types

My favorite were the 737-200s with the little sausage engines

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Its so much harder to do this these days though.

You basically have to live in northern Canada, yeah.

I did see a DC-9 flying into BFI recently. that was nifty

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

The training MOU is going to expire on the 15th with no current extension currently planned. The national work group is expected to release their plan for training "soon."
Apparently, some managers at my facility have decided this means trainees are coming back on the 16th, and are trying to schedule them.
While I understand that training needs to start back up eventually, traffic levels don't really support quality training. That, and COVID numbers are on the uptick nationwide.
None of the controllers really wanted us there for the quick recerts, but they understood it was for a couple of days. I see a lot of pushback if they start sending trainees back at this point.

I feel like this will also mean a lot more ATC Zero days/nights as COVID-positive people are discovered to have been in towers/TRACONs/ARTCCs. The more people get locked in a box together, the more risk there is of spread, and thus more “oh gently caress deep clean” days.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

it’s too early to say anything definitive. wait for facts to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Curious what OT looks like in other facilities. Coming into spring, we have almost everyone on OT every week. Even those of us on the no list. Management is starting to send out sick leave abuse letters to people who consistently call in on their OT shifts.

I’m sure this will help morale