Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Is "mark the tape" still a formal thing you have to do, or is it just a holdover that old disgruntled pilots say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

MrYenko posted:

This.

Tailhook is one of the great big warning areas over the Atlantic. Northbound traffic over AR18 clips the southeast corner of it. (It doesn't ACTUALLY clip it, but the computer is over-cautious, so every single loving airplane shows up in conflict whenever it's hot.)

Blue alerts are potential airspace violations in URET. There are also yellow and red alerts for conflicts between aircraft. ERAM changes blue alerts to amber, because what the gently caress, how could we NOT give LockMart another couple million dollars.

By the time URET or whatever conflict decision tool smart enough to beep/blink early enough to avoid whatever the disciplinary process over there considers a separation conflict, or is a funny color a sign you're going to get a talking-to from your supervisor?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

In the spirit of being pointlessly nosy, have any of you had or seen a TCAS RA go off?

I read on Wikipedia that under Mode S or ADS-B coverage, you can automatically see a TCAS RA when it happens, but that's not exactly sourced nor is it terribly specific whether that's something that happens now or if it's on the big list of NextGen stuff to cram into towers/centers.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

MrYenko posted:

Had a fighter come out of the top of his restricted airspace (SFC-070 at the time,) and pass within about a mile of IFR traffic, going nearly straight up. First hit was 065, next was 092, traffic was at 100, R side called it, next hit was at 127.

I tried really hard not to be a dick to the range officer, but what the gently caress, guys.

When you say the R-side "called it", does this consist of saying "holy poo poo, what the gently caress"/"guys I think we have a problem", or hailing the aircraft over the radio, or something else?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

The Ferret King posted:

Three and Increasing - 3 miles and increasing. The West Palm Beach and Miami Approach controls were showing their disinterest in the traffic issues facing Augusta/Atlanta by giving MrYenko planes separated by as little as 3 miles when the requested interval was 20 miles. "Mostly" is partially a joke, since less than 3 miles would be a simple loss of separation in most areas, so if they were handing planes over with less than 3 it was really a tight squeeze and maybe not legal.

In that case, would you try to increase seperation somehow (I assume having the trailing plane do a few circles), or just deal with it in some other manner?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

The Ferret King posted:

I won't be around to watch it, thankfully. I've already seen several military controllers who didn't work out so well. Also saw a few that did very well. It just depends on the individual.

I'm curious, what are the primary differences in military controlling and civil controlling? There's the obvious stuff, like the type of aircraft most commonly handled, different sorts of approaches with different technology, and civil having less masturbation jokes related to strangling the parrot, but I wonder if there's some fundamental differences in control methodology/mindset between the two that cause the military controllers to wash out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Ladies and gentlemen, we got them.

"The New York Times posted:

Man and Woman Arrested Over Drone Incursions at Gatwick Airport

LONDON — A 47-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of wreaking havoc with a drone at Gatwick Airport, Britain’s second-largest air travel hub, forcing hundreds of planes to be grounded or diverted and tens of thousands of holiday travelers to be delayed.

edit: never mind

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 23, 2018