Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Question for you ATC folks:

If you're taking off on an RNAV departure why do some towers will have you report the preceding aircraft in sight before giving you your clearance while most don't bother? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, spacing, WX, and even the departure path doesn't seem to make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

We have a few flight schools in the area that like to do group cross countries.

Been there, done that. Generally we would keep about 3 miles of spacing and only the lead guy would get flight following. Everyone else would monitor ATC and we would talk amongst ourselves on a company frequency. It wasn't an "official" formation but it kept everyone safe without pissing off ATC.

Of course, our system wasn't perfect:

http://www.kingmandailyminer.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&subsectionID=798&articleID=46128

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

From the fix discussion on the last page: RNAV STAR's seem to be growing in popularity, and with them creatively named waypoints.

There's an arrival into ORD that has has WELCM, TEEOO, CHCGO in a row. Edit: beaten to the BULLZ/BHAWK irony.

The best (worst) have to be the FRDMM and TRUPS arrivals into DCA. They both have a serious helping of :911: and are a royal pain in the rear end to fly because they have waaaaaay too many speed and altitude restrictions.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 25, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Monitor radiation is like, almost the same thing, man.

Also, my area just voted to dim the lights. It's getting even darker in my little slice of the control room.

Do you ever walk out of work surprised by the fact that it's suddenly become day/night?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Were any of you atc goons working Amarillo approach or tower tonight? I seem to remember one of you works here. If you were, we just had some goon to goon communication.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Oh boy! I'm on airport reserve in Chicago tonight, I get the feeling it's gonna be a loooong day.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

fknlo posted:

Also, hearing rumors it might be like a month before things get fixed. Just saw on stuckmic that he apparently torched the mains, standby, and backup frequencies as well as loving up flight data and radar data stuff too. One guy just royally hosed some stuff up.

:suicide:

Just posted onto the work FB page:

quote:

Get ready for some extensive delays guys. TEC is in effect along the I-80 corridor and all westbound traffic is being kept at 14,000 feet and handled by RFD, MLI, CID and DSM TRACONs. Somehow I get the feeling Chicago ARTCC is not going to by up and running by tomorrow. The words I heard from the Quad City controller were “the damage is much more extensive than ever imagined” when questioned by a pilot. I'm listening to a live ATC feed now and it doesn't sound good.

I'm not an ATC guy but is there any way they can borrow some space at ZKC or ZMP and run part of the center from there? Do they have the equipment in Chicago approach to run part of the center from there? Or are the next few weeks just going to be a royal pain in everyone's rear end?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

2+ hour edcts for ORD on a Sunday at 2200L. It is now officially time for this fiasco the be over.

On the plus side My clearance shorthand is the best it's been in years...

Do you ATC guys have some sort of standard shorthand for writing stuff down or is it your own personal method?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Tommy 2.0 posted:

OH! This makes me feel a lot better. I thought he was a controller, hence my facepalming and concern.
Nah, that's my attempt to write down a clearance given by a controller trying to deal with 30+ aircraft waiting in line for clearance bytalkingfivemillionmilesaminutewithoutpausingever. Operating out of airports with PDC for a few years basically removed my ability to write and comprehend my own shorthand but it's back now thanks to writing down clearances for the last two weeks.

Which brings up another question. I know ORD ATC has been in manual mode recently and can't issue clearances via PDC. What I don't understand is why when you request your clearance they want your A/C type, requested final altitude, and first two fixes on your departure. Even at places that normally don't have that much automation don't ask for that. Are they sorting the strips via that kind of information and they need it to find where yours is amongst the hundreds they're dealing with?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Are there regularly scheduled planes like trains have a train that leaves every day at such and such time or something like that? How far into the future do they do the scheduling? I've never bought a plane ticket more than a few months or so ahead of time, but I've never tried buying one, say, a year or more in advance.

Most airlines that I know of schedule 3-6 months in advace, and run close to the same schedule every day. Certain days of the week are usually a lighter schedule (Saturday), and holidays cause the schedule to be altered. But generally speaking Goonflight#1234 will always be between the same cities at the same scheduled time day after day.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Warning: The following link contains a dangerous amount of stupid:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/cockpit-audio-from-jetblues-near-miss-with-plane/vi-AA8OwRK?refvid=AA8FNNL

Also, Since JetBlue names all their airplanes they need to name the next one "Deborah."

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I want to know why there are pilots letting themselves be dispatched at min fuel. Even at my cost obsessed airline no one will fight a pilot for a request for more fuel. If they ever did they would probably end up doing a carpet dance once the union, or the FAA, found out about it.

Zochness posted:

AMA

We got no applicants on our last CPC bid either haha. I guess we're getting an ERR eventually but their release date is like mine, 2 years. Really hope they change things and give us some new people soon.

According to the rumor mill one of our planes had to go around twice in a row at AMA the other week because a V-22 was completely making GBS threads up the pattern. Any truth to that?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Did someone working at ZDC just get transferred to Hawaii?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Whats with YYZ approach control responding with "roger" after every readback?

"Goon 1234 turn right heading 330 and maintain 4'000"
"Heading 330 down to 4,000 goon1234"
"roger"

After literally every single readback.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Only thing better is a standing take off. I still have no idea why they would have done it, though it was at LEX, maybe they were confused about the runway. :v:

CRJ-700, standing takeoff, no de-rating the engines , 2 souls on board, and enough fuel to go all the way from JFK to LGA. We made it to cruise altitude literally before the end of the runway.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hjp766 posted:

However, I must confess to being among the have dones in regards to confusing the PA and COM1 selector on a Boeing... You never ever ever are allowed to forget that one - and I've done it both ways - we had some very puzzled passengers :doh:
Heard this the other day:

AAL1234: "Ladies and gentlemen we are beginning our final descent into ORD on American 1234 and are leaving 10 for 8 thousand with delta."
Tracon: "Nice save"

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

fknlo posted:

You'll know when you talk to me. I always sound angry and can convey how little I care about choppy rides through tone very well.

You must work at ZKC.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Why is it that the ZKC controllers always seem a little grumpy anyways? Do you guys have some supervisor that's really strict about proper phraseology and you're afraid of getting yelled at for saying "Good morning?" Even when you guys aren't busy the controllers there always seem a little more uptight than other centers.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Let's say your airport is landing on runway 10. At the other end of the airport is a taxiway with a runway 28 approach hold short marking. Do you need specifically need to say "Cross runway 28 approach" for a taxi clearance that crosses the hold short? Or is that line only there to let pilots know where to hold short when given a clearance to do so?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

JohnClark posted:

Ferret King is right on as ever. Just like with ILS critical areas, unless you're specifically instructed to hold short of an approach area you can proceed through.

That's what we figured. It's just weird to go cruising past a hold short line without clearance. I wonder why they didn't paint them with the same markings as the ILS critical areas.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Ord, taxiway Y north east bound. You cross the 28C approach hold short first then cross the ILS hold short for 28C/10C.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Anyone know who the ZKC controller is that still calls envoy "Eagle?" It's kinda funny but all the new hires I'm flying with keep missing calls because they were never around in the days of eagle flight.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

vessbot posted:

The change was years ago now, :wtf:

As far as I know this only started happening recently. I think it may have started around the time endeavor changed their call sign and all the EDV/ENY confusion started happening a while back.

fknlo posted:

Which side of the center? Doesn't sound like anyone I knew.

Your company needs to remember to keep putting "Callsign Envoy" in the remarks like they did for a really long time. Hell, they might still do it and I just ignore it now.

Not totally sure how the sectors are split but I only hear him in the northeast near the border with ZAU.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

So rather than fix the root problem with the EDV/ENY confusion our company has asked for us to start snitching on controllers who mess it up:

"so that the FAA can combat the problem at the local sites immediately." That sounds deeply unpleasant.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

Controllers confuse SkyWest and Southwest all the time (especially the further east we fly at OO) yet neither of us get butthurt whenever a controller slips up. :shrug:

None of our pilots get butthurt either. At most a bit annoyed. I guess someone somewhere must have had an incident somewhere that caught the attention of the FAA, who in turn talked to our company, who in turn is shirking responsibility by throwing controllers under the bus.

They have shown no intention of fixing the problems we've been having by flying flights with similar flight numbers in the same airspace. Go figure.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

fknlo posted:

I immediately asked that if the airplane was on fire if we're expected to vector them into an arrival gate. He replied with "that's a good question" and that was that. The controllers that worked it don't agree that any departures would have been a factor either.

Airline pilot input: If my airplane is on fire we're going direct to the marker of the closest runway we can land on. Unless there's an immediate collision threat we're not taking vectors/ re-routes or slowing down until we absolutley have to for landing.

PAX medical emergencies are a little different but I'd be really annoyed with anything that wasn't more or less direct.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

Solution: kill all VLJ owners, no more issue! :v:

All 3 of them?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

fknlo posted:

For the pilots in here, is wind shear on takeoff not as much of an issue as it is on arrival? We've been shut off to Denver for like an hour and every gate is holding 20-30+ but they're still sending aircraft out so I can only assume that's the case?

It's a big deal for both. Really bad windshear, the kind that will knock your rear end out of the sky, pretty much only comes from thunderstorms so it tends to be pretty localized. With Denver's physically massive layout it's fesiable that a storm on a 4 mile final may make it impossible to land but fine for takeoff because you're going to be 7-8 miles away from the storm once you depart.

Of course that only works right up until a departure gets a 20 knot loss and suddenly all of us pilots decide it may not be a great idea to take off.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

movax posted:

WTF was going on in / near ORD today?

I was at home near ORD drinking beer. Apparently I picked a good day to not be at work.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Apparently the mountains in Russia change their height based on the local altimiter setting.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

fknlo posted:

This is correct in my experience as well. I swear that American has a keep clear of clouds policy.

Clouds, especially those associated with thunderstorms, are bumpy. They also make it kind of hard to see outside, which can be a pain in the rear end if you're in an area with a lot of bad weather. If I think staying out of a cloud that I could easily fly through will give me a better ride or better visibility of better weather I'll definitely ask for deviation.

The Ferret King posted:

I imagine they get pretty hot in the Washington DC area over prohibited airspace busts. Presidential TFRs too.

Busting P56 means you get to have an uncomfortable chat with about 4 different government agencies. Then you get yelled at by your own company. Which is pretty stupid because people bust it all the time and they still get super twitchy about it. "You put your wingtip 5 feet over the line because there was a stiff crosswind. Are you sure you're not actually a terrorist?" I mean, they put a prohibited area one mile directly off the end of a runway. What did they think was going to happen?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't, but think they can, supervise.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Currently on hour 8 of cancellations and EDCTs and this just popped up.

ORD GS ADZV posted:

PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MEDIUM IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / SNOW-ICE COMMENTS: PLAN 28 RATE THROUGH 2059Z DUE TO 28C NOT BEING AN OPTION. GDP WE NEED TO BE REVISED, HOWEVER AT 28 RATE THERE IS ENOUGH AIRBORNE FOR 2+ HOURS.

Anyone have the inside scoop on what the hell is going on in ORD? It stopped snowing 5 hours ago and they can barely keep a single runway open. I'm used to the normal ORD winter clusterfucks but this the worst I've seen in the 8 years I've been based there.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

From those of us on the other side of the radio good luck you poor* bastards. Nothing says merry Christmas like furloughs.

*Maybe figuratively, maybe literally for some of you.

Edit: I can do the english good.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 23, 2018

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

At some point does this get worse for you guys? I know you're already on "essential duties only" but if this thing continues are they eventually going to start cutting back staffing? I imagine that if they stop your pay we're suddenly going to see 5 hour EDCTs popping up everywhere like we did with the sequester.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how many people work in ORD tracon/tower at any given point in time? Also about how many slices of real Chicago deep dish* will the average controller eat?

*Giordanos. Ginos is also acceptable.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I know of at least 2 pilots and 1 controller who have dropped an F-bomb on the radio and as far as I know nothing has ever come from it aside from a funny story.

1. My college roommate and I were doing our solo cross counties to the same airport only a few minutes apart. While trying to listen to FSS over a VOR he didn't have the nav volume turned up so FSS could hear him but he couldn't hear them. When he heard me call up FSS he told me what was happening and said "I don't know what the gently caress is going on." FSS was not happy but as far as I know nothing ever happened.

2. A laguardia approach controller with a stuck mic was trying to fix it and referred to what I can only imagine was his PTT as a "loving piece of junk."

3. While attempt to simultaneously talk to tower and complete our landing checklist my FO never let go of the PTT . After informing EWR tower that our EICAS was checked and our flaps were set to 5 he dropped an "oh gently caress" at roughly the same time as he released the PTT. Tower just told us to check for a stuck mic and nothing ever happened.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Anyone know why ORD is ground stopped for "Technical Issues" or is that just atc slang for "No one at ATC or the airlines bothered to check the weather forecast and now were all getting our asses kicked by a surprise blizzard?"

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 14, 2019

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

This is actually a question I've had for a while. What are the rules about having a second controller around at those small towers that operate 24/7 but are totally dead during the middle of the night? If it is just one person, what are they supposed to do if they need to take a piss? Use a bottle? Just step out of the cab for a few minutes to "use the land line?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Wasn't there a center (zkc?) that got evacuated a few years ago for a spider infestation? I think they take the cake for custodial issues.