Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
http://thebat-sf.com/2014/02/10/stormy-outlook-sfo/ Interesting article about ATC issues in the Bay Area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I remember somebody here, maybe it was awseft, doing some RJ flight at 8000 or 10,000 but I think it was due to a broken pack or something that restricted their alt.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
To answer your question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJG0HqILWm0

So yes, even the professionals can be dicks. But mostly people are pretty professional.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Tommy 2.0 posted:

A lot of pilots think that departing/flying VFR is pretty much the cure-all for any ailment air traffic related. 99% of the time that works, but when it doesn't...yeesh.

Pilots departing VFR in IFR conditions probably piss me off more than anything. I know that isn't the case there, but it made me think of one of our busier uncontrolled airports we have where this happens a lot. They depart VFR, start climbing through other plane's altitudes, call us up for an IFR clearance.

pilot: center we are position alitude looking for our ifr clearance to bumfuck
center: lol no we can't, maintain VFR
pilot: uhh we can't maintain VFR
center: *sigh*

Well, sir, good job on not only endangering yourself but everyone else trying to fly. A lot of times these guys doing this will depart in the opposite direction of guys we just cleared in. Yeah, the WX is jusssssssssst at the minimum to depart VFR. That doesn't mean it is a good idea.

what's the backend process when I call the clearance delivery hotline?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
No, I mean I'm on the ground, at an uncontrolled airport with no FSS reachable, so I call the clearance delivery hotline to get my IFR clearance. Now what's happening behind the scenes to get me off the ground and in the system IFR?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
If you kindly go check your application status, you'll see that if you're a CTI grad or someone very qualified that you've been denied. :cool: (at least according to my facebook)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Iucounu posted:

When I was a controller in the Air Force working at Nellis, the tower was infested with giant camel spiders. Fuckers would randomly drop down on you.

Southwest 373, turn left heading two seven OH JESUS CHRIST

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

Sure seems like there should be some prior coordination with the ATC facility having jurisdiction. I wouldn't know what to do if two random navy trainers I was working suddenly said "I declare MARSA."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuGIgf-ICHM

This is the first thing I thought of and I heard it exactly in this voice.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yes and no. It's updated every hour, so if it's only updated once an hour in theory it should be the same. However, that's assuming a 24 hour tower, I dunno what part time ones do in that regard. Also, it can often times be updated way more frequently than every hour, in practice - changing winds, ceilings, etc. So I don't think you can predict it so easily.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
MrYenko: If not for getting sick mid-week, last week, I would have had the honor of pissing off palm beach approach and miami approach with low level survey work! Kinda bummed that I didn't get to, I missed out on a lot of flight time :(

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
We do have 206s, but idk if that's us or not. I was out in sarasota not too long ago. Our callsign is snapshot, ... or if you're a controller, "snapchat", or "uh, what's the 3 letter identifier for that?" (FSP)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I don't understand how you can not want to shoot yourself in the head while being in an underground building 8 hours a day in a dark room staring at a computer screen doing a stressful job.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

As opposed to how I spend the rest of my home life? (sitting in a dark room staring at a screen playing video games).

That makes it even more depressing. Ugh.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Haha, I don't hate flying. I love going to get a $100 (okay, $300, let's be honest here) hamburger. But I don't always enjoy working. It's totally different when someone is telling you when and where to fly. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it sucks. And I have a feeling when I'm doing KFAT-KPHX-KFAT-KPHX-KFAT over and over for a week that I'm probably going to get sick of it, just as anybody would.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Can confirm that Philly approach won't let you do opp direction anymore at all. Somewhere else (norcal?) wasn't allowing them either, citing a 'new rule' etc. Makes it a pain to get traffic advisories for vfr practice circling approaches which is counter to safety...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah I mean like.. we need it for our recurrent. It calls for a circling approach. So we can do it while talking to you or squawking 1200... It's hard to imagine they prefer airplanes coming at the takeoff runway squawking 1200 not talking to them, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah at towered places I'll just call the tower if I need an opposite direction.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Department of redundancy department? In government? well i never.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Isn't it your job to make sure it can be done where it's not potentially dangerous? What about pilots that break out at circling mins and have to circle to land but they aren't proficient because practicing those approaches is like pulling teeth now?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Might have been a little smarter to go around that one.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I would actually think something like that would warrant an NTSB investigation at the very least as an incident.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah, the noise they make can really interrupt your nap. *rim-shot*

Thanks folks I'll be here all week.

Why did she want to know temp/dew point anyway? Was it foggy? Seems like that would have already been something she knew about if she was on the approach. Maybe they use it for performance charts...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It seems like ATC is more like an apprenticeship type program combined with some school training. It's not the same as a law degree.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
He was supposedly about to get transferred to hawaii. Dude must really not like hawaii.

Anybody know if my sister should change her Wednesday flight out of midway?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
A lot of people broadcasting on 121.5 I'd imagine.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I believe I can clear that one up. The only unholy way to keep things running there at current levels was to appeal to the dark demon entity Nbutu. Nbutu requires that information for unknown purposes but they just have to go with it as he now gives them the clearances.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Because Lockheed Martin is dumb and I'm gonna get flight following in the air to my destination.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

Look forward to robot ATC in the DFW terminal area beginning Nov 2015.

At least an improved chance in DFW that I'll get to be controlled by robot ATC as compared to your previous facility!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
In the case of the aforementioned LAX plate, all the altitude restrictions are 'at or above'. The glideslope from the FAF to the runway is actually steeper than the altitude restrictions which are a slightly less than 3 degree path. So it would have to be a pretty weird pressure day to make a difference, on most days because it's a shallower descent path and "at or above" restrictions you'd need a severely unusual pressure to not make one of the restrictions, but something to keep in mind. In practice at LAX they usually dunk you from above anyway and start issuing speed restrictions at the same time which, again, go down and slow down tough in turbojets, it's one or the other. Things can get really interesting with a tailwind.
If I'm on an arrival transitioning at 280 kts and I get a descend via, I'm on an optimized 3 degree glideslope all the way to the runway as much as possible complying with the fixes on there. It's not quite idle power, though, at 3 degrees usually, with zero wind 3.7 is idle power but that leaves very little wiggle room. Can go up to 4.3 with a good headwind but the problem is the wind dies down as you get lower and now you're boned. If I'm at 3.7 deg. and I get a weird restriction I'm gonna be either riding the speedbrakes hard or 'unable'. Which is why most people at my company just use 3.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Were you able to keep your beard? Does your beard interfere in any way with the console?
These are the important questions I want to know.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yenko, you've got nothing on FK. NOTHING. His beard makes that look like a tiny mustache.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
why don't they just hire and train more? i don't get it

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
A normal day going into seatac.. "say best forward speed".... .79, maybe .80 if it stayed smooth. "Okay maintain at or above .79..".. 20 minutes later... "slow to .72"... you can see where this is going. Sped up/slow down no less than 6 times and that was about 100nm before we hit the arrival. We also got a delay vector off course and then cleared back to BTG. And then on the arrival, maintain 250 kts..... delete speed you can resume 270... maintain 250... maintain 210... Finally got our turn onto the ILS with maintain 170 til FINKA and then... "maintain 150 kts".. well that last one we couldn't do, our approach speed due to the super gusty winds and icing was 163 kts, so we were 'unable'.. "okay i may have to break you off, the dash in front of you is about to slow down"... fortunately it just barely worked (thanks to the horizon crew since atc was like "oh they didn't really slow down", i'm sure they heard us..)... I guess my question is, was there some big picture plan here that I'm just not seeing? From the pilot end of it, I don't mind speeding up and slowing down, and I expect it on the arrival certainly, but wtf, really? I know we can't see the big picture, but sometimes it just gets bizarre...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

Lots of Stuff stuff stuff stuff.

That was actually a pretty good explanation, thanks. On our end I'm trying to give the controllers a break cause I know the wind is annoying and I usually expect at least one metering turn near BTG cause it happens pretty much every night it's north flow and a good bet on the south flow if the field's IMC. But sometimes it's like "loving wow". I assume there are plenty of "loving wow" moments on the controllers end with regards to the pilots, however.. we're all human. And in retrospect we usually slow to about 132-140 on final with calm winds, 163 is certainly not super normal although our groundspeed was probably pretty close to normal with the strong winds all the way down to the 30 kt surface headwind, but I guess the pilot monitoring could have said something to the effect of 'for planning, we're restricted to this speed' somewhere before the turn and that might have been beneficial. We were pretty task saturated at the time though.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 25, 2015

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Holy poo poo, 90 kts? Haha. I can't even imagine the flaps on that thing. I think if we did flaps full (which we rarely do) extremely light we still couldn't touch that. I'd say our average vAPP is 130-140 kts. Looking at our absolute minimum vref with flaps 5, it's 112 kts. At flaps full, 105 kts. Plus we'd always add 5 knots min to vref. But we'd have to be 52,000 lbs to hit those speeds. Basic operating weight for the 170s averages but is usually about 50493, so you're probably into your reserve fuel if you're that light and certainly on an empty ferry.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Does that apply to scummy regional pilots as well? Or only government employees?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

xaarman posted:

You can too, but didn't think regional pilots would be that interested in a Beech 400 non moving sim.

No problem.

Oh but it's always fun to gently caress around in a sim.
Our sim instructors were far too serious and we didn't get to do poo poo extra. (and non moving sim is way better than moving sim. Moving sim= vomit oh god why is the motion cueing on the ground with the tiller so bad)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Pictured equipment still in use today.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Tommy 2.0 posted:

What Ferret said is spot on about the technicalities of getting your clearance. With that said, if you are at a busy facility and do this you are making extra work for the controller and they will NOT be happy. It creates extra work where those seconds can be better utilized elsewhere. Don't be surprised if you are told to "standby for squawk" if requesting prior to that 30 minute window. The ATC computers don't assign a beacon code to an IFR plan until that flight is within 30 minutes of it's proposed departure time.

Now if you are at a slow place, who cares. You will most likely piss someone off regardless if you are doing it nicely or rudely when talking to controllers.

My squawk was 6660 the other day. The ATC computer shouldn't be able to spit that out in case of superstitious pilots like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

azflyboy posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a Canada thing, since I hear it all the time with center and approach controllers going into Vancouver and Calgary.

It's not every Vancouver controller but it is most of them, yes.
Airline 5761, Vancouver center, contact Vancouver approach 132 decimal 1"
"Okay 132 decimal 1 airline 5761"
"Roger"
"You guys have a good night."
"Roger, you too"
"And thanks for the direct there."
"Roger"
It's literally impossible to get the last word. This of course leads to pilots playing games with them because we're bored and it's comical. I wouldn't because I am a perfect professional but perhaps some others would.