Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Nobody at ZDC uses strips. Not for departures, approaches, or emergencies. We still run the printers, wasting thousands of dollars a day printing gi messages and tmu advisories.

Here's some more info for people wondering what we look at
\ this is an airplane. Specifically it's a paired beacon. You can click it and a data block will appear.
I this is a mode C intruder. It will have a beacon code and an altitude. You MAY be able to find a flight plan using the code. If there is no code, it is a VFR above 5000
/ this is an unpaired beacon. You cannot click it or get a flight plan from it. It will have a code and a mode C.
X this is a paired primary target. This is a plane with no transponder that someone has tagged up. Obviously no mode C.
+ and . are primaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

xaarman posted:

So if someone reports an ELT, what is the process that happens? Today, ATC asked several planes if they could pick it up, how strong it was and if it was getting stronger/weaker, but then what?

What if it's on 243.0?

Tell the sup, sup passes it on to whoever who investigates. They may come back and ask you to solicit more reports

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

JohnClark posted:

We get those ever now and then through our airspace at Potomac, I think they're usually just a one way trip so they can get the repairs done. It's very strange though, the routes are that altitude are typically occupied by cessnas and cherokees, and then a CRJ or an E145 comes bombing down at 10,000.

We get that a lot at ZDC especially during summer months. The high sectors will get swamped so tmu puts out a cap of something like fl200. Your options are fly dca to fll at 20k or delay until the cap is lifted. Of course the pilots always check in requesting higher.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Speaking of entitled motherfuckers on stuckmic, has anyone heard anything about the cti class action?
"I paid for this meaningless piece of paper so no one else should get this job before me" was the sentiment back when I was :f5:ing that site all day waiting for my FOL.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
N124 5 miles south of FARTO cross FARTO at or above 2,100.......

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Interesting new arrival to iah popped up in the uret today....

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

The Ferret King posted:

Dot Dot Dot.

We've seen many new standard arrivals into the Houston area in the last few weeks as a result of their airspace re-design. What are you talking about?

EDIT: I'm guessing the BOOZZ1? Yeah, kinda funny. Because, alcohol?

Nope. DOOBI1

Although the WHACK1 was good too

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Pilot people. What burns more fuel? Doing 220kts on a 40 minute flight and holding for 30 minutes while I fit you into the flow for ONE OF THE BUSIEST AIRPORTS ON THE EAST COAST, or just loving doing 300 like I asked you to?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

The Ferret King posted:

Were they gear-down or something?

No. It's a scam by a certain regional to save gas. They were underfuelling planes so they declared min fuel ad soon as we assigned a speed. That lasted 3 days until we got approval to clear them back to their departure airport if they pulled that. It stopped almost immediately.
Now their scam is to say they are MEL limited to 220.
We are countering this with lengthy holding and brasher warnings. We have requested inspectors at the gates to ground the planes also.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

The cap for this particular route is fl210 so indicated. We assign speeds 100% of the time for this airport and we hold so often that our sectors are literally just a line of holding patterns.
Now that departing min fuel is a guaranteed clearance back to your departure airport for more fuel, they are claiming their airplanes and broken and they can't fly the speeds we need to sequence them. I'm not going to try and sell a stack to the tracon because I know you're full of poo poo and after about the 5th time, they aren't going to buy it.
So fly fast or fly slow in a circle for an hour and burn more fuel and deal with the customer service issues when people miss connections.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

KodiakRS posted:

I want to know why there are pilots letting themselves be dispatched at min fuel. Even at my cost obsessed airline no one will fight a pilot for a request for more fuel. If they ever did they would probably end up doing a carpet dance once the union, or the FAA, found out about it.
The faa did find out about it and it was addressed. Now the problem is making revenue flights on allegedly broken planes so they don't have to fly fast.
With min fuel you can complain about a speed assignment but you can't refuse it. With a broken plane you can claim you are unable the speed.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

"Butt Reactor" posted:

Also, kmcormick9, is that regional pulling that nonsense Waterski?

No comment.
I heard a new one today-
"Center we have a little girl with cancer who will be late to her 1 o'clock doctors appointment if we hold"

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Spookydonut posted:

Wouldn't you just ask them to confirm them declaring a medical emergency?

It just sounded so made up. The tracon bought it and that was all that mattered to me, but I was fully expecting the other pilots already holding to start coming up with sob stories

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

fordan posted:

Did it seem like it was an Angel Flight or similar type of flight? Though I thought they usually used call signs like "Compassion."

Those guys have their own call signs. This was a regional not calling themselves medevac or anything.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I honestly have only heard word of mouth for the reason. That word of mouth has told me it was between the union and management to reduce the amount of aircraft needed in the sectors for them to go "red". Simply, they just wanted to work less planes. Not because of an event, redesign, or weather. Which was also my first guess. That was the reason for the wording of my original post about this. I want some clarification because that is some serious weak sauce to me and I would love to hear a controller's reasoning from those sectors before I make a make a worthless judgement.

Don't worry about drinking together. I'm much MUCH easier than that.

That's the weakest area in the building. It's called "snow bird" because they are SUPPOSED to handle all that southbound traffic, but the numbers for 09 are set so low because of military airspace that sometimes goes active that most of it gets rerouted to the west (through my area).
The pilots hate it. New York hates it. The rest of ZDC hates it. ZTL hates it. ZJX hates it.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

The Ferret King posted:

I'm starting to hate it by proxy.

Flying an extra 200 miles because of one sector

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
KEHBECK

One of my trainers would ding me on phraseology when I said KWABECK.

Also there's a guy flying around with the tail number N38DD. How would you address him?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I work some very congested airspace and the primary returns can easily get lost in the mix.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I am still on FMLA SO I wasn't there for the crash but apparently it was not without warning. Looks like the people on those cushy details get to extend them a little longer.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

MrYenko posted:

We have a running fued with one of our approach controls, due in no small part to several controllers in my area being massive cocks. Teach me your ways, that I may learn to get others to shame my coworkers for me.

Content: In ERAM, clicking the non-ADS-B button in DB Fields causes non-ADS-B track targets to display a coral A to the left of the AID. Does anyone know if this is a reliable indicator of the aircraft's actual ADS-B out capability, or is it just whether ADS-B is the current preferred sensor for that track? We've had a couple guys ask for ADS-B equipment checks, and we're really not totally sure of the symbology on our end.

Gonna ask our automation guy on Monday for an official answer, but my trainer and I are curious, and this thread has been dead, recently.

The way I was told was that eram is currently like one of those xm-ready car stereos, it doesn't have the receiver but it is designed to work seamlessly when one is plugged in.
AFAIK, the scopes on the floor are mode c only, and do not have ANY ads-b data sent to them. There may be a non operational scope somewhere in the building that shows it, but you don't get it on the floor.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
There's light at the end of the tunnel.
https://youtu.be/QPE8hspaI1k
This guy just started here.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Where do I go to find bids for sups, tmu, etc? I'm trying to get back to the Richmond area, but without losing 40 k a year, and since err is shutdown at zdc, I'll have to find another way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Yeah that's where I've been checking but nothing relevant ever gets posted.