Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Any ZMA guys working the abaco sector or SUMRS/SNAGY, or LETON/LNHOM/LAMER/LUCTI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

EDIT: This may not be obvious to everyone so I should clarify. Jet engines are very inefficient at low altitudes. 10,000ft is an unreasonably low altitude for a jet making a long flight. They tend to cruise between 30,000 and 45,000ft. It's unlikely you could even make it from coast to coast at 10,000ft without running out of gas midway.

I was curious about this, and it turns out an A320 can go from sfo to jfk at 15000ft but takes an additional 10k lbs of fuel and an extra hour. It can make it non stop as long as the flight isn't full.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

I'm guessing AR is Aerial Refueling. And what is Tailhook? And Blue alerts? I'm not asking just for me, mind you.

AR traffic I'm assuming are the routes off the east coast

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

How accurate is this nerd game?

http://www.atc-sim.com/

Every time I've tried, I just throw up my hands in frustration after fifteen minutes and rage quit; that's why I never bothered to apply to Nav Canada.

I can sit on this for hours at a time which is great when my wife is watching dancing with the stars. It's a bit clunky and complicated since you have to type the commands in but once you know the commands you just have to deal with the traffic.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm in the same bucket, extensive aviation experience and I "failed" the bio questionnaire. I just heard that there may have been a meeting at the FAA about the hiring matrix being flawed. gently caress this noise

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Crunk Abortion posted:

I failed the bio too. All jokes about entitled douchebags aside, I can't help but feel like I've had my entire future pulled the gently caress out from under me. I'm 27 years old. I probably won't get another shot to play their lovely lottery to try and win a future that doesn't revolve around paycheck-to-paycheck poverty.

I just turned 28 and feeling the same way. It sucks being in aviation for so long and now having to seriously consider alternative careers.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
So two flights takes off out of ORD going east bound and are told to contact ZOB after departure but none of the flights going eastbound can get in contact for about half an hour. I'm told they're being separated 30 miles in trail, but if they aren't in contact with anyone, how are they providing separation?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

Probably assigned speeds. For us they're climbing to FL230 with no speed restrictions, but we can somewhat communicate with them as soon as C90 ships them.

Gotcha, thanks

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I've actually worked with people that would hold back people's training for not saying "tree" and "fife". I want to kick these people in their reproductive organs.

I work with people who even when off the radios say "tree" when talking about a flight. Also pilots who say nine and five in the same breath then get pissy when you ask them to say again.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

eternalname posted:

What exactly gives you a better chance of being selected? Ive applied for the position once and gotten passed over. I met all of the minimum qualifications

I don't think anyone really knows, seems to be mostly luck. I meet all requirements and have been applying since 2008 including wasting money on a cti degree and I have exactly one year before I age out.

I know people that work in an FAA facility that haven't been selected. Hell, I work with New York center, Miami, Jacksonville, San Juan, and Washington every day working the radios, issuing clearances and talking to traffic and that isn't enough to get a call back.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

We were just informed at ZMA that instead of six (6) trainees for the fiscal year, we'll be getting fifty (50).

Our training department is gonna be hoppin'. :v:

Goddamn, hopefully other facilities have similar numbers!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

DNova posted:

What are the options for voice communications with aircraft that are in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean (on a route from Paris to NYC for example)?

My understanding is that there is some VHF coverage when near land and at high altitudes, but it would mostly be HF radio when far from land. Is there a minimum altitude at which HF is reliable?

So that's actually my job, HF radio operator for the Atlantic and Caribbean. No vhf except for 200DME from Bermuda and along the coast. HF is reliable at all altitudes above 15000 feet, never worked anyone below that.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

hjp766 posted:

Don't be the moron who instead of when airbourne asking me for level, mach number and ETA instead, on the ground, when I asked for clearance out of San Juan at stupid o'clock at night when it is just one frequency, read out THE ENTIRE loving FLIGHT PLAN TO FRANKFURT. PLEASE GOD: I have to read it back to you exactly :commissar: That's a 4000 mile route, everyone got pissed off.

If you don't do that on the ground on VHF you'll do it in the air on HF, which makes nobody happy. See notam A0017 13 for changes to the new york oceanic clearance delivery procedures (I must say that 10 times per shift).

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

hjp766 posted:

All that is now required is (please forgive the made up departure name as I seriously can't be arsed looking up a SID right now).
Callsign 759 cleared Frankfurt via WATRS3 Departure, Flight planned route to destination, on departure climb runway track 4000, expect 350 enroute squawk 7575.

As long as she just says "Flight plan route" on the deck this satisfies the new NY Oceanic entry requirements as we are deemed to be entering NAT airspace driect from US domestic airspace provided we then give Centre the ETA, and Mach over the first NAT waypoint. Piarco & Shanwick still require a full clearance prior to entry. NY, Gander, Santa Maria we can now enter prior to receiving clearance because of your beautifully expressed second point.

We only now use HF for reroutes.

Wow, that's much easier. The only time I ever get to say "Flight plan route" instead of giving the entire route is with Piarco clearances when we get the flight to say their full route (at least until landfall) before issuing the oceanic clearance so they can verify the assigned route. I work HF for NY/Piarco and reroutes are a serious pain.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Spacewolf posted:

OK, gotta ask: If airlines are playing fuel games like that, does there come a point where that impacts safety (of me the passenger)? Like, are we talking a situation where these guys are crying wolf and nobody'll believe em when they really *do* have min fuel for some reason?

They can declare an emergency if it really gets bad (surefire way to get priority), but then the pilot and dispatcher have to answer for lovely fueling.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

the culminator posted:

Just finished the academy up today (En route). Its definitely an experience. Any of you guys have any insight on New York Center?

Just curious, how long before finishing the academy did you know your options and then get your assignment?

Not sure if you're local already but I work across the street from zny and live pretty close. I'm fairly new to the area but if you need any local advice or help feel free to pm me!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
deleted

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 22, 2015

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Boola posted:

Boo! I submitted mine Monday morning. Close it close it!

Seriously close it!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bitchymcjones posted:

Has anyone who applied for the ATC jobs heard anything yet?

ATSAT emails were sent today

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Has to be more than just the BJ part right?

The 'two for one' part also?

MrYenko posted:

We also have a bizjet company that just started flying around with the callsign "screamer." They only use one flight number: 69.

What's their ICAO code?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Thanks, always curious about the fun callsigns!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Oh yeah! Thanks!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

I don't think it's a bad idea.

EDIT: In the above situation at Midway how much would it have helped?

"Delta One Three Two Eight"

"Southwest Three Eight Two Eight"

Seems like they're still similar enough to create likely confusion on a busy frequency.

On HF we can't group numbers, we're required to say each number like that. I'm not sure if it's a company rule or if it's an ICAO thing, but it can be the difference in understanding the callsign or not.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

I linked the relevant ICAO document in a post above, which cites the requirement to speak out numbers in serial for callsigns.

Callsigns in group form are a U.S. FAA ATC practice. Possibly other countries, but I'm not certain (would love to hear from others who know).

The FAA deviates from ICAO standards in many areas. Though, lately, changes have been coming to bring some procedures in line with ICAO standards. For example, the recent change of "Position and Hold" to "Line Up And Wait."

Yes you did, and somehow I missed it. Disregard

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Awesome, ZNY oceanic has SOORY and SORRY is in Connecticut, I think. I've heard of pilots punching in the wrong fix and ending up in ZNY radar instead of continuing east bound!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Minneapolis center did 3 years ago when I visited.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Anybody been to OKC lately? I'm starting enroute training in a couple weeks and I'm trying to come up with some stuff to do when I'm not studying.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

!!!

Congrats man. Kick its rear end.

Thanks, I'm pretty goddamn excited about this!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I think I'm the most recent academy grad here, and even that was more than two years ago. If you have any questions specifically about the current curriculum, we have a couple trainees that just got to the area I can bounce questions off of.

Also; go to Cowboys.

Quarter beers, and live bull riding in the bar. Also, RePublic.

I really don't know what to ask, to be honest. I'll definitely check out RePublic though!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

Big truck tacos

BIG TRUCK TACOS

That looks awesome!

fknlo posted:

Try to find a regular apartment that will let you sign a short term lease instead of staying at one of the "official" housing providers. You'll save a shitload of money.

I'm booked at Kim's Place. I thought about getting an apartment but I'd rather spend the extra money and not have to deal with buying furniture and getting rid of it when I leave.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 4, 2015

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

I'm currently attending yet another course at the FAA academy in OKC. This

Hey cool I'm in OKC too for initial en route training!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

You in the en route building already or in the basics building?

En route building, finished basics last week.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Cool beans. Basics was tedious but beneficial.

I'm sure you've received plenty of unsolicited advice, so I'll keep it short. Don't be playing catch up. You want to be as prepared as possible going into the graded sims so you have a comfortable point cushion and aren't having to scramble on the last problem for a passing grade.

I take my lunch in the "international hall" between the basics classrooms and the radar lab building (it's all connected). If you're ever back over there, say hi. I'm the one with the beard. You'll know. I'm done with class on the 15th.

Thanks for the advice; I've been hearing that much pretty much since day 1 and I can definitely see how that would be beneficial. Up until last week I had lunch every day in int'l hall too. I don't think I'll be back over there in the next few weeks but I'll keep an eye out!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

FK and two beer bishes are invited to fly in my airplane with me while in OKC

Have your affairs in order.

Holy poo poo are you serious? I haven't flown in 7 years according to my logbook (fuuuuck) and I brought my headset along! What airport do you fly out of?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Where are you staying? I didn't drunkenly ramble at your table at Isola Bella Bar the night before Thanksgiving, did I?

...no. no way. You would have remembered the beard.

I'm at Kim's Place. I've seen one or two magnificent beards while walking around though!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
They told my class on day 1 that we would have the employee express info mailed to us within 4 weeks. Not a single person got it! We all had to request another password to be sent and even then for me it took 8 days of emailing and another 5 days to get it. What a joke

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

two_beer_bishes, if you don't jump on this man's offer like a starving cat on a flopping trout, I'm going to drive back to that poo poo-hole and kick your rear end.

wat

xaarman, I'll definitely take you up on the offer! Are weekends or weekdays better? I'm working 7-3:30 Mon-Fri until I'm done here (end of Feb). Can I bring a friend too?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

xaarman posted:

M-F bankers hours only, the govvy sim operators aren't paid to work otherwise.

If they have a valid government ID and are a US citizen, that's fine. It's for base access.

Well poo poo, that's going to be tough to arrange. I appreciate the offer and I'll keep it in mind if something changes with my schedule.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Anyone that is smart enough to go to college is smart enough to do the math between the annual hiring numbers and the number of CTI graduates every year. The program certainly has upsides, but mostly its a scam to funnel student loans into aviation college coffers.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I applied to two different PUBNAT announcements before they made it "CTI only". That fall I started taking online classes, then the following summer started the 3 semester 'on campus' portion of the cti school I attended. I knew nothing was a guarantee but since that was the only route, I was going to try. I had a really good part time job (my FT job let me go part time, working weekends only) and I moved back in with my mom to save on expenses. I finished the program with just under $4k in loans that I paid back in less than a year. I graduated in 2011 and now I'm 6 weeks from completing the FAA academy (they've only hired twice since I graduated). Would I be doing as well as I am had I not spent 2 entire semesters in CTI school working on non radar? Probably not but I really don't care. I don't regret getting a specialized degree that's only useful for one job, but only because my minimal loans are long since paid off. I'm happy as gently caress that I'm where I am right now and I feel very fortunate for the opportunity. I know some people get this far and just don't give a poo poo and don't put forth the effort required and I'm happy to see that everyone in my class feels the same way I do.

As far as turning the hiring to all off the street, it's lovely and feels like a slap in the face after putting the time and money into the degree. I haven't read any details about the pending lawsuit but from the few notes I read I think it's pretty bullshit. Some people around the academy think that anyone involved will either get an age waiver to attend to academy or a huge payout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
There's a NATCA dinner on Tuesday and Rinaldi is supposed to be there. I wonder what he's going to say about this.