Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Are your monitors and screens chosen for its appearance because its the most efficient? or because its difficult to update reliably? The screenshots look like what I'd stereotype air traffic control screens to be 20-30 years ago. Why doesn't it look like a trendy smartphone app!?!?!

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I forgot where I read it, but are New York Controllers known for being the sassiest with the pilots and will punish them if they don't react correctly?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Fragrag posted:

I remember that as well but I forgot so I looked it up and it's from a segment in Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell on Crew Resource Management. I don't have the book on me but what I remember, Avianca Flight 52 was on a holding pattern and the co-pilot was in charge of communications. Gladwell mentions that New York ATCs have a rather inflexible reputation as Liar of the Shire mentioned. He thinks it slightly bullied the co-pilot and bad communication with his superior pilot led to him not reporting to ATC that they were on a dangerous amount of fuel.

YEAH thats where I read it.

What is the ATCs ITT relationship with the pilots like normally?