Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The airline I work for recently sent out a memo that the FAA has banned opposite direction operations again due to a new policy.

I remember that opposite directions were stopped for a while a couple years back following an incident at DCA, but I hadn't heard anything about any recent incidents, and my google-fu doesn't turn up anything newer than the 2012 ban.

Does anyone here know what the "new policy" is that banned opposite direction operations again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Whats with YYZ approach control responding with "roger" after every readback?

"Goon 1234 turn right heading 330 and maintain 4'000"
"Heading 330 down to 4,000 goon1234"
"roger"

After literally every single readback.

I'm pretty sure it's a Canada thing, since I hear it all the time with center and approach controllers going into Vancouver and Calgary.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
A question on "hold short" clearances.

At SEA, it's pretty common to get a taxi clearance of "Taxi to runway 16C via bravo, hold short 16L at charlie". When we switch to tower (who controls both 16C and L), they commonly clear us to simply "Cross runway 16L at charlie", but don't specifically tell us to hold short of 16C.

My understanding had been that controllers were required to issue specific instructions any time an aircraft is going to cross or hold short of a runway, but I'm starting to think that was incorrect based on what I keep hearing in Seattle.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

A pilot is expected to hold short of their assigned departure runway without being told.

Since 16C is your assigned runway for departure, a hold short instruction isn't needed because you wouldn't otherwise be "crossing" it.

Thanks!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

its all nice on rice posted:

Evals finished today. 12 of 15 passed. Had a shot at Seattle (3 spots) but poo poo the bed on problem 2 and placed 4th in the class. The first three people took Seattle. My choices are now between ZKC and ZAB. The last two people are stuck with ZSU.

E: holy poo poo curve ball. The guy ahead of me chose ZKC. I'm going home to ZSE.

Congrats! Now there's a chance it'll be a fellow goon giving me the standard "I show you with a 10 minute delay, expect vectors for metering" speech every time I get handed off to Seattle.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Specifically, a suicidal Horizon employee somehow stole an empty Q400 and flew it around Puget Sound before crashing it. It appears the employee was the only one killed.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
BFI and Seattle are located and laid out so that there's lots of ways to have airplanes from BFI and SEA conflicting with each other.

Since Vistajet departed off runway 32 while SEA had south flow, his intended departure path conflicts with SEA departures and arrivals on the downwind, so I'm guessing he just figured he'd pick up the clearance in the air and didn't realize how boxed in BFI really is with Renton and the departure/arrival paths at SEA.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The YouTube clip doesn't have his initial call to Boeing clearance or ground, so I'm curious if there was a complete misunderstanding between what the pilot thought he requested versus what ATC thought he wanted (staying in the pattern for a landing versus departing from the pattern), or if it was an attempt at avoiding a hold for release or something.

Either way, it's completely bizarre.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 15, 2019

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That's hilariously probable.

I'm not a controller (I just drive the bus), but I don't think I've ever heard a long haul flight get anything near that much of a delay, so "confuses time zone, thinks 20 minute delay is 7:20" seems like the best alternative to "crew had no idea what they were doing" or "crew were deliberately being dicks"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

In Canada, how close do they let you get to the airport without a clearance, then? Does everyone just get stuck on downwind until the one guy who's cleared has completed his base and final? Do you get the clearance as you're on final approach, preparing for a go-around in case you don't get it?

When I fly into Canada, they normally word it as something like "Callsign 1234, proceed zero eight right, you're number two", with the landing clearance being issued when the runway is actually clear.

The closest I've been before they issued the clearance was about a two mile final (in an airplane with an approach speed around 120kts) but I don't know how close the controllers are actually allowed to cut it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mollymauk posted:

Anyone got any tips for memorizing the name, designator and recognizable features for 50 different aircraft?

That's probably one of those things you just rote memorize (flashcards would probably help) but there's ways to narrow it down a bit.

For single engine airplanes, wing on the bottom is usually Piper, wing on the top is Cessna. Wing on the bottom and crashing into poo poo or doing something dumb is a Cirrus or Bonanza, especially if there's a doctor flying.

Piston engine twins are trickier, since they all tend to look similar at any kind of distance.

Corporate jets suffer a similar issue, but each of the big "families" (Citation, Learjet, Challenger, Phenom and Gulfstream) tend to have a distinct look that carries from one model to the next, which helps distinguish them.

For airliners, the 737 family and A318-21 have fairly obvious differences in the engine design (Airbus engines look round, Boeing has flattened bottoms), the noses look different, and they use differently shaped wingtips.

The 757 is distinct because it looks long and skinny, the 767 looks like a fat 757. The A330 looks a bit like a 767, but the winglets are probably the easiest way to tell them apart at a glance.

The 747 and A380 are easy to tell apart (the 747 has a hump, the A380 doesn't, and the A380 has a distinct "giant forehead" when seen from the front) the 777 stands out because it's larger than any other twinjet, but the 787 and A350 are kind of hard to tell apart at a distance.

For military airplanes, looking at the vertical tails makes it easy to distinguish F-15 from F-18 the F-16 and F-35, and C-17 and C-5, and the C-130 and Kc-135 don't really look like anything else flying.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mollymauk posted:

. Also all of the Boeing's names are like Boeing 757 and none of the designators are the same as the name (B752/B753).

If it didn't get explained anywhere, Boeing designators are just dropping the last "7" from the model name and replacing it with the specific version, so the 757-200 is 752, 737-800 is 738, etc...

Keeping Piper designators straight is kind of a pain in the rear end, but like Cessna, bigger/more complex airplane generally equals bigger number, which might help.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
What are the requirements for how soon you're allowed to clear an airplane for takeoff behind another departure, assuming it's VMC, and neither airplane is "heavy"?

I've had a couple of times in the last few weeks where the tower controller at SEA will clear us for takeoff before the airplane ahead has even rotated, and since I've never seen that anywhere else, I was curious what the rules were regarding departure spacing.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks for the replies. Common sense says the separation will work (they're not issuing the clearance until the preceding aircraft is far enough down the runway that they're not going to abort, and a Q400 sure as hell won't catch a 737 or A320 in the climb), so I was just curious what the actual rules about that were.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I have a question about STAR's I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

Going into SEA from the east, we usually file via the GLASR 1 arrival, which has exactly one crossing restriction (JAKSN @12,000/250kt) when the airport is doing south flow.

For the last few months, I've noticed that instead of just clearing us to "descend via" the arrival, the controller tells us to "cross JAKSN at and maintain 12,000, 250kts", which is the exact same thing as the STAR, but with more words.

It doesn't seem to be specific to our airplane/airline, so all I can figure is that it's somehow tied to the lack of traffic from the pandemic, but I'm confused as to exactly why the controllers are seemingly giving themselves more work instead of just having us descend via the arrival.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks for the explanation. Since most of the traffic I hear going into Seattle over the last few months are crews that probably know the area fairly well, I hadn't actually heard anyone mess up the restrictions, but I can absolutely see that the chart makes it easy to accidentally try and follow the wrong profile.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks for all the replies.

I'd been wondering about it for a couple of weeks since another pilot pointed it out to me, so it all makes more sense now.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 28, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Is there some kind of audio warning system in towers that goes off if an airplane crosses into the departure path of a different runway?

A few days ago at SEA, I saw an airplane depart 16C, and make an immediate left turn across the departure path for 16L, which they weren't supposed to do.

While the tower controller was giving them an "immediate" turn back to runway heading, it sounded like there was something going "WARNING, WARNING" in the background, which I assumed had to be related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
At airports with closely spaced parallel runways, is there some kind of audible alarm that sounds if a departing airplane wanders into the departure path for another runway?

A few weeks ago at SEA, I heard a Southwest flight accidentally turn across the departure paths for the other runways (there were no departures off them, so there wasn't a collision risk), and while the tower controller was telling Southwest to turn the correct direction, it sounded like some kind of alarm was going off in the background that I don't recall ever hearing there.