Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Title stolen from a goon suggestion.

Sonic Boom is the latest entry in the long running Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, rumoured for some time now as a television series, and recently confirmed on February 6th not merely as such, but in fact a whole new sub-franchise for the series. What this means is that (for now) the mainstay 'Modern' Sonic games are not to be replaced, but instead will continue to be developed by Sonic Team proper, whilst Sonic Boom is handled by Sega of America.

Sonic Boom as a sub-franchise is going to effectively consist of three parts:
1) A Nintendo exclusive pair of games, the last in a three part deal between SEGA and Nintendo. Developed by Big Red Button Entertainment and Sanzaru Games for the Wii U and 3DS respectively, the games will feature new character designs, enemies, abilities, etc. One of the big selling point however is the promise of these games creating a new canon, serving as a prequel to...
2) A TV series. Also named Sonic Boom, co-produced by SEGA of America and OuiDO! productions, it will consist of 52 11-minute standalone episodes, with a comedic focus. Plans to debut in the 2014/2015 season, on Cartoon Network for the USA and CANAL J and GULLI for France.
3) A toyline provided by TOMY. Said to contain a variety of toys including action figures, plushies, remote control toys, etc.

SEGA's official blog on the announcement can be found here, complete with concept art, screenshots and trailers. It turns out, BRB had in fact put out footage of its version of the game during the previous year, as part of a CryEngine 3 Tech Trailer, but noone suspected it to be a Sonic game at the time. Release dates on the games are unknown but assumed to be 2014 for the run up to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm getting used to Knuckles' huge arms quicker than I thought I would.

Here's the cartoon trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_A3e2bl334

And the game trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRprvD5J-YA

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Why must they insist on calling him Eggman?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

THE BAR posted:

Because they've always called him that in Japan. His name and some of the elements of his design owes a lot to John Lennon's "Sgt Pepper" period, but when Sega USA was a young company they shied away from satirical references to the Beatles more than they do now.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 11, 2014

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Sonic used to be cooler when he was a short pudgy hedgehog that collected rings and only collected rings. Why they gotta go loving with the program

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Because they've always called him that in Japan. When Sega USA was a young company they shied away from satirical references to the Beatles more than they do now.

But it always confuses me, makes me think we're dealing with a Mega Man crony!

It's Robotnik. He makes robots and is a scary foreigner.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Robotnik was his grandfather apparently. So why are Sonic's arms blue now?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I get vibes of Sonic Adventure from the gameplay trailer. That maybe is a step in the right direction? I don't know, I haven't cared about Sonic since SA2.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Robotnik was his grandfather apparently. So why are Sonic's arms blue now?

Its like... from Adventure on, Ivo Robotnik is his birth name, Eggman is just what everybody ended up calling him and he embraced it. Guess for Boom he's just either got 'Eggman' on the birth certificate, or just doesn't like having to change his business card again.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

THE BAR posted:

It's Robotnik. He makes robots and is a scary foreigner.

And voiced by Tim Curry. :colbert:

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

What's with the tape? Are they wrestling now?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

bakka bakka posted:

Athletic Tape. Turns out, spatting is a real thing. This game has actually caused me to learn things.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

THE BAR posted:

But it always confuses me, makes me think we're dealing with a Mega Man crony!

Well, SOMEONE's childhood car didn't have an 8-track player. :colbert:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

bakka bakka posted:

"WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY" suddenly takes on a whole new meaning.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

THE BAR posted:

He is the Eggman. That's what he is.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Sega of America didn't do that great of a job removing all instances of "Eggman" from Sonic 2 in any case.

Was there that much gnashing and whining when Princess Peach stopped being called "Princess Toadstool"?

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

Athletic Tape. Turns out, spatting is a real thing. This game has actually caused me to learn things.

I'm aware of that but Knuckles is almost a drat mummy. I'm just hoping for a few Stone Cold Stunners.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

1999 was a WHILE ago, dude.

All I know is that in that one cartoon I saw and those couple of games I played, the villain was called Robotnik. Calling him Eggman makes him sound like more of a clown than he is.

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Why do they run with their arms flailing behind them like they have dislocated shoulders?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This, to me, feels like Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles revival: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%282012_TV_series%29

Four characters with distinct personalities, reveal a redesign, cartoon, game, toyline. All TMNT is missing is dubstep, though I've never bothered to watch it so who knows. Granted, most things aimed at a younger audience are this formulaic.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Was there that much gnashing and whining when Princess Peach stopped being called "Princess Toadstool"?
Peach isn't an insult to the Princess' physical appearance, whereas Eggman refers to the doctor's improbable body shape. Sonic calling him Eggman is one thing, but that he insists Sonic do it as well just comes off as weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The way they introduced it pretty much addressed that - SA1 Sonic uses it as an insulting nickname, by SA2 Eggy's taken so many hits to the noggin that he calls himself that for the most part.

I think there are still a few lines in the western games where his name is treated as Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, like how Maria and Gerald are Robotniks instead of Eggmans.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

He will always be Robotnik in my heart. Whatever one may say about the old cartoons, he was comedy gold in every scene he appeared in.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Prowler posted:

This, to me, feels like Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles revival: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%282012_TV_series%29

Four characters with distinct personalities, reveal a redesign, cartoon, game, toyline. All TMNT is missing is dubstep, though I've never bothered to watch it so who knows. Granted, most things aimed at a younger audience are this formulaic.

The TMNT revival is pure gold, tho. Season 2 is basically "Casey Jones: Year One"

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Dr. Robotnik is a much better moniker.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

Sega of America didn't do that great of a job removing all instances of "Eggman" from Sonic 2 in any case.

No, because Peach and Toadstool are both good names.

Eggman is just stupid as gently caress.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

borf posted:

Why do they run with their arms flailing behind them like they have dislocated shoulders?

Because of this trope. Its been the running pose for a while now really (certainly at top speed anyway), though I suppose being a new sub-franchise and all, they could have found something else if they wanted.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In Sonic Generations, Classic Tails refers to Classic Eggman as Robotnik and he says "HEH nobody calls me that anymore!" :smug:

The Eggmans were the best part of that game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The last game to seriously call him Robotnik was that crappy RPG Bioware shat out (Sonic Generations called him Robotnik once as a joke). They're not going to go back to Robotnik, get over it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

VJeff posted:

In Sonic Generations, Classic Tails refers to Classic Eggman as Robotnik and he says "HEH nobody calls me that anymore!" :smug:

The Eggmans were the best part of that game.

Eggman is the best part of anything Sonic-related.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The TMNT revival is pure gold, tho. Season 2 is basically "Casey Jones: Year One"
And the recent game was absolute garbage but also not related much (at all?) to the show.

I'm glad that Amy and her hammer are back at least. Smashing things with a hammer bigger than oneself can't possibly make a game worse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Edit:Beaten never mind.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It's a shame that the new game is using CryEngine 3 but isn't coming to PC, because I'd like to see what happens if you chuck a load of Crysis graphics mods at it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Calling him Eggman makes him sound like more of a clown than he is.

No, that's Dimps' job.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Having story boarded on the new TMNT, I can appreciate athletic tape on characters. From a design perspective, it's a quick and dirty way to show volume and direction. You may not think about it, but even in CG it's important to have visual cues like that.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

That loving Sned posted:

It's a shame that the new game is using CryEngine 3 but isn't coming to PC, because I'd like to see what happens if you chuck a load of Crysis graphics mods at it.

You know that Nexus would be the first place with the graphics mods for a Sonic game.

They'd probably have fifty of them out the door before the game even went gold.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ah yes, Dr. Robotnik's Big Gay Circus.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Why does Amy have a lazy eye?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So, a bit of extra news on both the series and the game. Firstly, the series will be composed of entirely standalone episodes, which isn't particularly surprising:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/02/sonic-boom-tv-world-to-reset-in-every-episode/

The game, amongst other things, will feature other redesigned characters from the franchise (but no chaos emeralds):

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/02/new-sonic-boom-details-no-chaos-emeralds/

So who knows, maybe we'll get this after all:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The game, amongst other things, will feature other redesigned characters from the franchise (but no chaos emeralds):

That's actually surprising to me, considering that in the top row here it's clear that there will be new side characters, probably for the show and the game (Spoilers, I guess for everyone who've already seen the pic but not closely):

Wonder who'd be important enough to share space next to that many characters.

Having no chaos emeralds is good news to me, because having chaos emeralds as a plot point really contributed to melodrama, not to mention spawning an entire fanbase devoted to Super Sonic(s).

• Locked thread