Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Ice Caps just got quick whistled out of a win. The response by both sides seems to be frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

DOOMocrat posted:

Ice Caps just got quick whistled out of a win. The response by both sides seems to be frustration.

yeah the Texas Stars got screwed out of a goal in game 1 with the same thing (like a play whistled dead when the puck was in front of the goalie just before a player tapped it in). Not to mention the horrible / missed calls on icings, offsides by the linesmen for both teams. The quality of the officiating in this series so far has been loving terrible.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
new canadian junior team coach says that they need a new philosophy when putting the team together, by which i assume he means actually picking the best players availab--

"On veut dénicher des joueurs de classe mondiale, mais pas nécessairement en fonction de ce qu'ils ont fait par le passé ou de leurs statistiques, a-t-il expliqué. On veut trouver des joueurs acharnés, des joueurs qui veulent faire la différence et qui seront prêts à accepter le rôle qu'on leur donnera"

(we want to find world class players, but not necessarily based on what they have done in the past or their statistics, he explained, we want to find avid gamers, players who want to make a difference, and who accept the role we give them)

oh

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey-junior/201406/12/01-4775215-equipe-canada-junior-benoit-groulx-prechera-une-nouvelle-philosophie.php

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Zamboni Jesus posted:

new canadian junior team coach says that they need a new philosophy when putting the team together, by which i assume he means actually picking the best players availab--

"On veut dénicher des joueurs de classe mondiale, mais pas nécessairement en fonction de ce qu'ils ont fait par le passé ou de leurs statistiques, a-t-il expliqué. On veut trouver des joueurs acharnés, des joueurs qui veulent faire la différence et qui seront prêts à accepter le rôle qu'on leur donnera"

(we want to find world class players, but not necessarily based on what they have done in the past or their statistics, he explained, we want to find avid gamers, players who want to make a difference, and who accept the role we give them)

oh

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey-junior/201406/12/01-4775215-equipe-canada-junior-benoit-groulx-prechera-une-nouvelle-philosophie.php

We need CHARACTER and GRIT and they better do what we tell em!

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

dyn posted:

a good start would be not to bring garbage pile goalies

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

dyn posted:

Since hockey is a Canadian game then the surest way to win is to embody the most Canadian characteristics. Accordingly, if they lose it is because they lacked the ideological purity held by me, the Toronto-Sun-reading fan.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I really hope Nylander drops for the Coyotes to pick him so they can in a few years roll a Domi-Samuelsson-Nylander line with Murphy playing D behind them next to, I don't know, Hitler's great grandson or something to make the lineup's rep a bit better.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Is anyone else watching the Calder Cup or have I lost you all to the Association Football plague?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The AHL video review team is a disgrace.

That puck was several inches inside the net, obvious even from that distance away. They loving stole a goal from the Stars.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Starsfan posted:

That puck was several inches inside the net, obvious even from that distance away. They loving stole a goal from the Stars.

Can you be surprised at this series? They've been making these calls in overtime and everything is apparently 4 on 4.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

Can you be surprised at this series? They've been making these calls in overtime and everything is apparently 4 on 4.

yeah the sad thing is that I'm sure the idiots manning the review center are the clowns that were too lovely to officiate even in this bush league. No wonder they get every loving thing wrong.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

gently caress yeah! not even the officials can steal this one from the Stars!

although the game should be 4-3 right now, which would be a Texas win.. seems like the Stars need to take their chances in OT.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Texas wins the game in OT! 3 chances to clinch the cup!

You will never see a more bipolar game. Shots when St. John's went up 3-0 halfway through the 2nd were 29-6 for the Ice Caps, Texas ended up with a 38-35 edge for the game.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Starsfan posted:

yeah the sad thing is that I'm sure the idiots manning the review center are the clowns that were too lovely to officiate even in this bush league. No wonder they get every loving thing wrong.

This is a standing complaint every year- during last year's Finals, they magically put an additional 2 minutes onto the 2nd period, and no one is quite sure why the gently caress they did that. It is always sad, and I wonder why, come Finals time, the NHL doesn't send down some guys who are on the cusp of a big assignment up there, down for some more experience. Somehow, during one of the first round games this year, Binghamton and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton managed to have THREE goals waived off in the same game, including 1 in overtime, again, for no clear reason. It is sad, because the referees just drag the games out so much.

I actually think that there is no command center for video review in the AHL, I think the referee makes the call himself looking at the replay.

Looks like, though, that Texas has the hot hand, and I really thought St. John's would pull it out, though I don't think anyone can really gripe about 3 1-goal games, 2 of which have gone into overtime. Wouldn't shock me if the IceCaps pull one out tomorrow, though.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Starsfan posted:

It's literally the refs looking at a computer monitor in the scorer's booth. Blame them.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ok so after reading up on it a bit, I guess there's some rule in the AHL that referees can only use 1 specific camera angle to review goal decisions - the overhead view which is standard to all AHL arenas. So if another camera angle (say the one being broadcasted on live TV) clearly shows the puck crossing the line, but the goaltenders equipment obscures the overhead view it's tough poo poo for you I guess.

St. John's in an impressive team, they are much better than I gave them credit for reviewing their record this season - I figured they were a similar team to Toronto that was carried by exceptional goaltending and not much else. They've matched the Texas Stars at even strength line for line, and I think it's pretty clear that this is a case of legitimately the two best teams from each conference meeting each-other and battling in the finals.

Texas has had a lot of luck in this series, and good goaltending - two things they didn't have at times in previous series. It's hard to say if the series score situation wouldn't be reversed right now if the circumstances with those two key factors were different.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 17, 2014

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Starsfan posted:

ok so after reading up on it a bit, I guess there's some rule in the AHL that referees can only use 1 specific camera angle to review goal decisions - the overhead view which is standard to all AHL arenas. So if another camera angle (say the one being broadcasted on live TV) clearly shows the puck crossing the line, but the goaltenders equipment obscures the overhead view it's tough poo poo for you I guess.

Yep. The very last game of the Monsters' season, I was back down in the scorer's booth, and a replacement was the penalty timekeeper, who is also in charge of the computer that refs use. They came over to review a goal, and he couldn't get it working, and he timidly suggested that they use the camera up on the scoreboard, or the view on the TV sitting next to them. But the (very frustrated at this point) ref angrily told him that they have to use that exact (computer) feed.

Also, they basically only review if the puck crossed the line. I don't think they can review kicking, high stick, etc

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Hockles posted:

Yep. The very last game of the Monsters' season, I was back down in the scorer's booth, and a replacement was the penalty timekeeper, who is also in charge of the computer that refs use. They came over to review a goal, and he couldn't get it working, and he timidly suggested that they use the camera up on the scoreboard, or the view on the TV sitting next to them. But the (very frustrated at this point) ref angrily told him that they have to use that exact (computer) feed.

Also, they basically only review if the puck crossed the line. I don't think they can review kicking, high stick, etc

Nope, they can review, at the very least, goaltender interference and kicking, at least, those were the reasons that two of the goals in the Binghamton-W-B/S playoff game that I mentioned earlier got disallowed after review.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If anyone has a working stream for the Calder Cup game going on now I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit: Found one. http://www.wiz1.net/channel19

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 17, 2014

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The defense of the Texas Stars is pretty loving terrible outside of Patrik Nemeth.

For a bunch of guys that profile mostly as transition / offense first / two way defenders, they don't produce poo poo on the score sheet and they turn the puck over constantly. It's been a major advantage for St. John's all series long, and it's paid off in spades for them tonight. Texas does not look likely to tie this one back up.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
SUCK A FISH NEWFOUNDLAND
BLADES STARS WIN BLADES STARS WIN BLADES STARS WIN

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Congrats Stars fans. I was really hoping St. John's would pull through with at least one more win, three straight OT losses is tough to take.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

That was Nemeth's fifth North American goal at any level. What a backhander.

Also: WOOOOOOOOOO

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Holy poo poo what a move by Patrick Nemeth - that would make Malkin look twice! :)

Tough breaks for St. John's all the way along. That could have easily been a different series, and they deserved a better record than 1 win in 5 games. They played a tough and fast brand of hockey that gave the Stars all they could handle.

Congrats baby Stars! Now get some of that quality skill and the NHL lineup for next year Jim Nill :)

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Morin's punched his ticket. Nemeth probably did too. Oleksiak... I think maybe more AHL seasoning wouldn't be the worst idea, especially if he gets stronger. And Faksa's getting real good, real fast. He for sure looks like the small forward of the future. McKenzie probably surpassed my expectations the most and could be a solid affordable bottom six winger for somebody.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Miruvor posted:

Congrats Stars fans. I was really hoping St. John's would pull through with at least one more win, three straight OT losses is tough to take.

the nhl finals say whats up

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Champions Hockey League begins tomorrow.

This is the most ambitious pan-European club competition in a while. The last attempt (also known as CHL) folded after just one year when Gazprom canceled their funding.

This iteration is a direct continuation to European Trophy which was a nice biggish tournament but was barely marketed at all and never attracted a huge following.

Concept
-44 teams from 12 countries including 26 founding members and 18 teams based on their success in domestic leagues
-Group stage with 11 groups and 6 games/team
-Group winners and the five best group runners-up will qualify for the playoffs

Good
+More competitive games
+They seem to do some serious marketing
+Most of the best teams from Western Europe + some interesting exotic clubs
+The founding members have guaranteed the funding for three(?) years

Bad
-Most (66%) of the group stage games are played during the preseason
-Probably unprofitable for the most teams
-Several "undeserved" teams because the founding members have a guaranteed entry spot (such as the two worst teams from Finnish league)
-No KHL teams
-These things have failed to create interest for like 50 years now

It would be nice if it worked this time but I'm sceptic.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
I would love to see some kind of a 6-8 team best-of-the-best tourney involving the winners/runners-up from the NHL, KHL, and this. In any case, not sure which part of my ancestry I should favor, England or Denmark (moot point since I doubt either will go very far :v: )

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why is Nottingham in it? Belfast are the most recent winners.

e: NM they won the Challenge Cup apparently.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

i desperately want the development of an international champions cup tournament (modeled vaguely after the champions league) for hockey with the top teams from the nhl, khl and european leagues. i don't think the nhl would have any interest in it at all sadly.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah there's no way the NHL is going to send teams and risk any kind of status loss. I'm sure they'll keep playing preseason games over there / trying to get exposure with the long long term goal of setting up real live NHL teams in those markets.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

ThinkTank posted:

Why is Nottingham in it? Belfast are the most recent winners.

e: NM they won the Challenge Cup apparently.

It was really weird. Belfast are in the Continental Cup instead, I think they'll do pretty well. They were a lot better than Nottingham last year.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism
I think we might just have gotten the goal of the tournament in the CHL last night:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Krokerik posted:

I think we might just have gotten the goal of the tournament in the CHL last night:

i had to look up who this was and ive not heard of vincent praplan before but now i want him on my team

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
drat, those top scorer jerseys are dumb.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Kennel posted:

drat, those top scorer jerseys are dumb.
loving Swiss, man.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

That's a really big gif.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
A Norwegian team actually won a game! Against Tirnec from Czech Republic.

I actually like CHL so far, the teams involved seems to take it seriously and play with a passion. The games played back home in Norway gonna be packed.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Krokerik posted:

Just saw this in Sportcentre. It's like something you'd make up while daydreaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Time for that question: Do we want to reboot this for the global 14-15 season or keep this thread by calendar year?

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 26, 2014

• Locked thread