Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Krysmphoenix posted:

Nah, Don't sell the boat as long as it brings in profits. Not to mention the tourist boom. We have it, let's at least not throw away an expensive yet minor advantage when we're not in the lead.

The boat turned a small profit each turn. Might as well sell a business that isn't pulling it's weight, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

At roughly 600k a quarter income, the boat will make back a roughly 55million purchase cost in 92 quarters, or 23 years. (the scenario ends in 10 years) All for a 5 point tourism increase. :sigh:

Open more inter-regional routes and reinforce existing ones. The interegionals are where the big money is to be made. We need to open up ChiRom and improve the routes going through Tehran. Get a route going through Sydney as well, preferably with a jet, but a Doug will do if its all we got.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gotta have that Doug Jet for THROM.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

We need more Planes.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
If we can afford to do so, and have planes ready for them, we should open routes to Madrid and New York.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
What a fantastic LP.

As a new shareholder I wish to exercise my voting rights by pressing the Douglas button.

Let's free up some of his smaller siblings to do foot work while we bring back THROM or break into Sydney (which I presume is now dry).

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
I have but one item to support this turn: JETS. We can get a DC9 immediately, and depending on how the year plays out, we may be able to afford 2.

If we swap out for a jet in THROM or THR'HKG (or jets in both), we can reassign our current Doug to spoke routes and up our game that way. Especially in North America and Asia. Then, next year, we can go for a DC8 and open up Oceania.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
We need to weaken our competitors, AirMarx is already crippled but ConAir is still potentially threatening but Air'Murica is our biggest worry.
Try to weaken Air'Murica I'm not sure how best to do that (do more stuff with London?), but I'm sure if we Defer to the CEO it should be easily possible.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
buy another boat

realvote edit: bail us out, CEO!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Teach me how to Dougie.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
It looks to me like we need more planes to start shoving into different routes to make MURICA compete with us. If we get them to undercut themselves enough their empire will start crumbling. So, PLANES! And oh god save us CEO.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
There's a fair deal of support for going Laissez-Fair in '66.

If it pulls more votes than any other order, our next business plan will be a blank cheque.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I wanna DC-9!!

Actually I wanna Lotta them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The bright red klaxon announcing war is a pretty nice effect on the global map.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
And then you move on to the next news item and it's right back to the elevator music.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

A_Raving_Loon posted:

There's a fair deal of support for going Laissez-Fair in '66.

If it pulls more votes than any other order, our next business plan will be a blank cheque.

It's less lasseize-faire and more electing a dictator in the Roman Republic way.

Killer Emcee
May 19, 2010

"Looks like your angel has misplaced her halo."
Destroy democracy.

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Killer Emcee posted:

Destroy democracy.

There I did it.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
In a bout of taking my own advice, I went out and found a copy of the manual. It's for the Genesis version, but still serve to clarify a lot of little things I'd never noticed about the game.

For example, Service Businesses (Shuttle Services, Ferries, and Commuter Airlines) increase the effective population of a city once purchased.

The bus we bought in Tehran provided travel access to an extra 0.6M people! :eng101:

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 3, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm guessing that's to represent more people having easy access to our biz so they can Aero?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yup, which means transportation services are most effective in cities with a high population and economy: more people who can afford to fly. If you want to juice a city with poor population or economy you should invest in tourist attractions, because tourism will drive traffic to a location even if it's tiny and poor. (This doesn't have that much impact in this scenario, but as the nascent tourism industry grows in the latter part of the 20th century all those little island resorts turn into big Aero-bizness despite poo poo population and economy.)

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Business Plan 1966

Budgets
pre:
Routes   Planes   Biz     Flex    Bank   
------   ------   ------  ------  ------ 
     0        0        0  49,262       0
In light of the ongoing crisis, the board has approved a special budget for the coming year.

Primary Objectives:
pre:
7 - Assume Direct Control
We will grant the CEO emergency powers to take all due measures to safeguard the interests of the company.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
1966 - Pax Aeronautica

Q1 1966

The year begins with some cost-cutting measures. Precedent from our other business in India tells me we’ll never get more than 7 flights out of Calcutta, especially with the age of tiny planes like the IL14 very over. Giving back this time will save us money.

I roll back the changes made to our schedule last year. They really didn’t add up to much, and that Doug could be put to much better use.

Right here. Maximum flight count to London. That’s 320 new seats on our weekly Euro-schedule, about $1.2M in potential quarterly airfare.

I peg down some free slots in our open hubs. More scraps of time that we can find good use for.

Airports these days, with their short runways and their rock music blasting at all hours of the night! :argh:

ConAir really wants their home zone back.

And Air’Murica looks to enforce MonrAero Doctrine. New flights to Chile, more offers to Brazil.

The change in cash value is the only way to tell that I’m not just reusing the same screenshot.

(Or am I?) :iiam:

Definitely reusing that gif. Fortunately, this storm lands off our network.

No sign of ending.

We’ll manage.

Q2 1966

Blue is taking a liking to the Constellation for their non-jet routes.

I’d like to introduce your all to a sterling example of the next generation of the Air-Travel industry. Doug Jr. may look a little rough around the edges, but the boy is every bit his father’s son and I have absolute confidence that he will-

:siren:SPRING BREAK:siren:

Right then.

Over in Europe, the added capacity on our London connection sold out immediately. So much so that we’re once again ahead of AirMarx in Euro-sales. It’ll take a lot more than that to overtake the Americans, but it’s a profitable step in the right direction.

We’re feeling the Burn from ConAir’s efforts to undercut us in China. They’re only running one flight each, but the presence of those cheaper seats demands we take action to keep our share.

While it was once the best of our Mideast destinations, Tashkent has shown it can’t quite live up to much more than we have. Another place to shave away some unused time. Likewise, competition in Shanghai has shown the city’s not the sort of place to handle much more than daily flights. In each case, I still leave some room to grow. Just in case.

I suppose sometimes a few of the lines change colour too. That’s another way to tell them apart.

A mission to Taiwan reaffirms their desire to retake their home region.

END

Q3 1966

Behold, the largest plane which will appear in scenario one. 50% more chairs than the next leading competitor!

All the nice things they can’t have.

Second-rate plane for second-place airline.

Douglas.

Not a bad first turn for Doug Jr. That’s still 62 people per flight, nearly a Dougload. It’s a glass-half-full kinda deal.

Steady discounts will lure more young folks out to the beaches.

Peace in the Middle East.

None too soon. Expenses quickly fall back towards pre-war levels.

Q4 1966

Oh for gently caress’s sake.

Appropriate measures are dragging people back to us in China. We’ve been trading back and forth with ConAir turn by turn.

More time to put on our side.

Junior settles in for the winter.

More outward focus, linking Sao Paulo and bidding in Iraq and New Zealand.

Con wants a piece of Kong. They also try for Munich out west.

The AI really does not know how to play Russia.

It is time for Gouging.

Times are good.

1966 Year-End Review

I may as well stop taking these until they bother to do something.

You win this round, Yang. :argh:

The war is over and we’ve come through in decent shape. We managed to continue adding value to the company despite the spike in fuel prices, kept pace in our competitive zones, and got a taste of some new Aero-Technology.

And to show for it, we pulled back up to $53,250K in profit this year.

Budget Carryover:
pre:
Routes   Planes   Biz       Flex    Bank
------   ------   ------  ------  ------
     0        0         0  12,702       0
Build our Plan, and Cut our Budget for 1967.

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 14, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Planes. If we're filling up 3x DC-6 on a profitable route, we can use fewer of a bigger, shinier plane and put the older Dougs someplace else.

…right?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Routes. We need to keep Murica from just sticking a hose in these uncontested regions and sucking money 'till all they get is lint completely unopposed.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

StandardVC10 posted:

Planes. If we're filling up 3x DC-6 on a profitable route, we can use fewer of a bigger, shinier plane and put the older Dougs someplace else.

…right?

Quite.

Larger, faster planes will be more effective at pulling in the kilodollars from our big routes. The light craft can then be redeployed to other lines or sold off to finance more big guys.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I'll be voting routes, specifically New York and wherever else in Europe or SE Asia that would help us.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Planes Planes to blot out the sun and to chock our enemies with their fumes. Planes.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Does oil even travel through India or Pakistan? :signings:

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
MORE DOUG. Always more Doug. Also expand in North America.

maybe we could perhaps think about opening Oceania at some point?

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
More Planes to capitalise on our already open routes. AEROBIZ!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Buy planes, resume attempts at expanding into North America.

vdate fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 8, 2014

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
In light of the current spread of votes, two equally-supported plans of attack have emerged for 1967 which I shall now set before the board of directors.

Plan A: Taking advantage of Doug Jr's flair for hip new American business trends, we'll wire him the money to expand our operations in the USA with a link to New York City. For a total cost of $60,960K we build on our presence in the Americas with a hook into one of the top cities in the world.

Plan B: Or perhaps instead we make contact with good friend from old country, Доуглас. Do not worry, he is good plane. Strong Worker. Fly far. He make good flights, sell many ticket to Аустралиа. For you, special price - only add to $61,740K after *ahem* "Service Fees". Open whole new region for you! Great Аеро-Биз, да?

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Plan A, because more Dougs the better.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
New York just has such ridiculously strong stats that no matter what we spend we're almost sure to make it back, it seemms. Plan A.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I'm under no Ilyushin that plan B would work.

Plan A all the way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The only reason that this is contention is that we're stuck at 4 slots in New York and it's inefficient to stick a plane on a route that can't use all of its flight time. If we were dealing with a shittier plane flying to a shittier city this would be an issue, but this is New York and Doug will prevail. Plan A.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Plan A. Sorry Comrade Ilyushin, we need to get to New York so we can see those big American titties. Our cousin is already an important man with a job waiting for us there!

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Plana is spanish for page.

Go with page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Plan B. This game doesn't seem to have a Vickers VC-10, so the Ilyushin Il-62 will have to suffice as the closest thing. Plus, hell the rest of you voted for a pleasure boat so I'm going to vote for something silly too.

• Locked thread