Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
The big number on that quarterly report is revenue, rather than profit. They're up $7.8M from their opening this year.

As to how they did it- stuffing their best existing routes with time and planes. Sydney-Singapore, their other flights to Japan, New York-London, and their local North America flights are all pretty good routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
Open the bank to pay for an expansion of our air fleet , which we can then use to expand into Chicago/Sydney (whichever the CEO thinks is more financially viable at this time).

We'll bring the light of Islam to the world, one new market at a time.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Doug likes boats

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

The most merciful thing in the air-travel industry, I think, is the inability of the human mind to visit all its destinations. We ride in the placid cabin of ignorance in the midst of a black network of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The airlines, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated locations will open up such terrifying vistas of tourism, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new jet age.

You modified a quote for this, I'm sure. What was it?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Bloodly posted:

You modified a quote for this, I'm sure. What was it?

It's originally from The Call of Cthulhu.

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
Just realized that I hadn't actually modified my vote:

Make a withdrawal so that we can open a new region; my preference is CHIROM, to get up in 'Murica's face, but I leave the ultimate decision in the capable hands of our CEO.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Business Plan 1963

Budgets
pre:
Routes   Planes   Biz     Flex    Bank
------   ------   ------  ------  ------
18,641   26,152    9,787  22,136  18,067
Money’s adding up enough to get things done.

Primary Objectives:
pre:
6 - Use Bank Funds to procure a Jet Aircraft
It’s time to step up our game and buy into the jet age.

Secondary Objectives:
pre:
3 - Open Service to America or Oceania
With our choice of new inter-continental service.

Stretch Goals:
pre:
Reinforce presence in established hubs
Boats, Greek
One of these has funding.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Gonna go with my gut here and say that We are not a boat company. We provide Air-Travel and Air-Travel Accessory Services. With that in mind, we should open our arms to the elite of the Jet Set and use the attainted lucre of these great old families to Open up sunken R'lyeh I mean a Trans-Pacific Route.

America, ftaghn!

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
1963 - Coming of Jet Age

Q1 1963

It is time.

Also, time in Rome.

ConAir started reacting to our advances in the east, driving me to start squeezing fares on our new connection to Japan.

Air’Murica heads down under, hooking them into every region except Africa. They also bid for time in Osaka.

:geno:

Business as usual.

Q2 1963

Australian side-bids clear, 5 slots each.

I’d like everyone to extend their best wishes to new our teammate, Douglas.

He moving overseas, hoping to make it big in the city.

Godspeed, Douglas.

A quick snap at some Asian slots. We’ll find them all good homes.

Like Osaka, one of Japan’s best cities. We only end up with 3 of these after 9 months of negotiation, but they’ll find good use in due time.

The hangover from what it took to buy more Tu104s rages on.

Oh that’s some nice red on the map. Their routes to Sydney and Karachi aren’t doing so hot. Both are in direct competition with ConAir.

Meanwhile, their attention turns to Mexico.

Gonna gouge the hell out of this.

Rise in revenue but a brief downturn from a bad hotel season, and ConAir sneaks back ahead of us in Asia. We can fight them in their home zone, but we’ll have to keep the pressure on to make it stick.

Q3 1963

A political shift in Egypt leaves Africa’s hub of choice turning Pro-Russia, and presumably anti-America. They remain neutral to us.

The newly independent government of Malaysia remains friendly with Iran. No telling what it’ll mean for Singapore-based ConAir.

Next year’s forecast calls for SPORTS!

And planes. The B727-100 aims for the role of a midrange economy jet. It takes everything the Caravelle tried for back in ‘59 and does it better. It’s bigger, cheaper, and flies farther with better fuel efficiency. Just a smidge worse on the mechanical front. This is the first jet one could really point to as a general upgrade to the old prop-planes on big local routes.

Maybe if they lay low a while they can have this year deleted from history.

More planes purchased and confirmed interest in starting service in South America.

Blue continues to look east, securing their hub in Australia and opening a link to Japan. They also bid over in Melbourne.

More time in our major hubs. Much needed in the case of Rome.

Welcome home, Jerry.

Congratulations, Douglas, on a successful inaugural flight. :toot:

:siren:A CHALLENGER APPROACHES:siren:

LONTHR hauls 640 passengers per week against our 620, all at higher fares. At last, THROM knows a worthy adversary.

Everyone else is doing it, may as well get our share.

Another shot at sneaking off with a piece of the big apple. Two years before we’ll get another.

I use Jerry for a quick glance at the cost of Hubs.

After a year slogging around Miami, he deserves a chance to dry off. After this round with the egyptians, we’ll be close to all the time we’ll ever need there. They’re mostly to feed into connectors, as the region can’t support much local business. The Russians only run on flight on each of their routes here.

Back in action. ConAir’s renewed lead in Asia is quite slim, less than 10 passengers per week.

Q4 1963

Imitators.

Hibernators

Competitors.

Round 2: 525 vs 627. Advantage: THROM.

Closing on a high note.

1963 Year-End Review

Kenya joins the list of independent nations. Their government remains on good terms with Iran.

Well, that was certainly a year. We bit the jet-bullet and put money down on a big airliner, launching our first trans-oceanic flight. Douglas met with great success overseas. Business is also picking up in the old world, filling the seats of our competitors as more people take to air travel. Even Paris and Berlin managed to fill their old IL14s this last turn.

Though we peaked higher than ever before in our last quarter, a bad valley put us slightly behind last year’s performance, leaving $57,880K to throw to next year’s budget.

Budget Carryover:
pre:
Routes   Planes   Biz       Flex    Bank
------   ------   ------  ------  ------
     0        0     9,787  16,016       0
Our network spreads farther than ever before. We have many many miles and may ways to go.

Build our Plan, and Cut our Budget for 1964.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Routes and build a hub in Chicago. CHIROM must awaken.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Business as usual.

You mean Aero-Biz as usual. :colbert:

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Douglas is the key to success it seems.

Invest more in Douglas
Expand flights in the Americas
Put the choke hold down on ConAir and tighten our grip in the East, namely invest in Japan for the coming Olympics.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Routes, routes, routes. We've already started the process, let's keep the pressure on Murica by developing routes in North America. Doug does well, keep him in our good graces.

Also, make Jerry dance for our amusement or something. He's spent too much time carousing about when he's not making us look bad in front of the other countries. I don't trust him one bit.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
We can't have routes without more planes! Another DC-8-50 running to Chicago will expand out profits and get us closer to the point where we can sell off some of our tired IL-14s for 727s, and use the speed advantage to shuffle DC-6s around for a slight bit of expansion.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Routes! Planes! CHIROM HUNGERS!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Well when you put it like that, how can I argue? Let's Get more Dougs and Cement our grip on Asia before opening up the Americas.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It seems that despite having cheaper prices, people go with Murica because those jets are faster and fancier. Or amybe they're just British. Either way, I think THROM NEEDS JETS, Give him Douglases

Also, damnit, I really want to play this now. I used to rent this as a kid all the time, was poo poo at it, but I loved it. Its amazing how many surprisingly awesome and deep strategy games Koei made for a (mostly) children's console. Are there any modernish equivalents of Aerobiz?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 20, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, damnit, I really want to play this now. I used to rent this as a kid all the time, was poo poo at it, but I loved it. Its amazing how many surprisingly awesome and deep strategy games Koei made for a (mostly) children's console. Are there any modernish equivalents of Aerobiz?

I mentioned it earlier in the thread - there's Airline Tycoon for the PC, which is pretty good. Stay away from the "sequel", though, just get the original with the expansion.

As for our plan, I'd go with more Dougs, more routes in the Americas and that Greek boat. We're basically sorta on autopilot right now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thanks I must've missed that (I skimmed the non LP posts to catch up). It seems only the second one is on steam, darn.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Asia, let's get that sweet Olympic monies

Budget routes

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Budget planes, the DC-8-50 is going to be handy in other places but we need its range for CHIROM. Consider the 727 later too.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Doug, Routes, Greek Boat.

The boat is going to be the finale of the game isn't it?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Vexrm posted:

A boat is what we're going to be relegated to running between THROM if we screw this up!

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Vexrm posted:

If people ever authorize funding for it, maybe.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

If people ever authorize funding for it, maybe.

Can't we just assume that if people vote for certain things (buy more Dougs, expand certain routes, etc), they're voting for funds to be allocated for that as well?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hey, what is the distance between Rome and Hong Kong? Can a DC-8-50 make it? Its got 6000mile of range, right? That could be a lucrative intercontinental flight, since people don't have to relay through the middle east. Though I suppose that could actually hurt traffic on our Interregional Tehran flights, if the game models that.

Either way, the real money seems to be in Intercontinental/interregional flights (look at the money the 'Mericans are pulling in!), so I say we focus on establishing and reinforcing those for now.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
At 5810 miles Rome-Hong Kong is indeed within the flight range of Douglas. Edit: And an opening cost of only $29M!

TheMcD posted:

Can't we just assume that if people vote for certain things (buy more Dougs, expand certain routes, etc), they're voting for funds to be allocated for that as well?

Asking me to take liberties with the pebbles leads down dangerous paths.

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 21, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok then. Allocate budget for additional D-8-50s and establishing a Rome-HongKong interregional flight

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hey, what is the distance between Rome and Hong Kong? Can a DC-8-50 make it? Its got 6000mile of range, right? That could be a lucrative intercontinental flight, since people don't have to relay through the middle east. Though I suppose that could actually hurt traffic on our Interregional Tehran flights, if the game models that.

Either way, the real money seems to be in Intercontinental/interregional flights (look at the money the 'Mericans are pulling in!), so I say we focus on establishing and reinforcing those for now.

Hurting sales on THROM may not be a bad thing if we can connect directly from Europe to Asia. That would mean we could pull an aircraft or two off of that line for use elsewhere. Planes are a big bottleneck for us.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Rome-Hong Kong would be a gamble. Triangular routes tend to hurt profitability since any two destinations have two possible routes that compete with each other. I would wait until we've built up our Rome and Hong Kong hubs some, to ensure that we'll have enough traffic through Rome and Hong Kong to support two competing international routes.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Make sure you exploit the hell out of Japan as much as you can. Besides the olympics boost, it'll be great to have just as a major economic/tourist city.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vexrm posted:

Koei games have mad aggressive AI, so I fear we may not actually make it to that finale :smith:

I think this year, we should bid for time, but focus mostly on improving our existing routes. Our transatlantic route looks like it's doing pretty good, but we don't have that many planes on it, do we?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 21, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

GetWellGamers posted:

Make sure you exploit the hell out of Japan as much as you can. Besides the olympics boost, it'll be great to have just as a major economic/tourist city.

This is the 50s and 60s scenario, Japan's economy probably only gets monstrous in the 70s and 80s scenario(s).

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
Doug.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Gabriel Pope posted:

Rome-Hong Kong would be a gamble. Triangular routes tend to hurt profitability since any two destinations have two possible routes that compete with each other. I would wait until we've built up our Rome and Hong Kong hubs some, to ensure that we'll have enough traffic through Rome and Hong Kong to support two competing international routes.

Hong Kong is an objectively superior destination to Tehran. There are more passengers than we can currently support, and they're more willing to fly there directly, and the route generates more money because of the distances involved. Tehran is our headquarters, and we obviously care about the image of our mother hub, but we must also consider the demands of our customers. People are beginning to expect rapid, direct travel to faraway destinations. I would say a route like Cairo-Rome would be much more risky to Tehran's importance, as after a direct route to Asia, that would leave little reason at all to pass through the Middle East for most passengers.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I advocate for Greek Boat and Chicago Hub.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is the 50s and 60s scenario, Japan's economy probably only gets monstrous in the 70s and 80s scenario(s).

Even now they've got some stand-out cities in the region.

The White Dragon posted:

I think this year, we should bid for time, but focus mostly on improving our existing routes. Our transatlantic route looks like it's doing pretty good, but we don't have that many planes on it, do we?

Just the one, and an understanding that it'll take around six to max it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Generally jet aircraft on long routes offer one flight per week for the first aircraft, and then roughly two more for each subsequent aircraft, but it's a rounded number so every few planes will only offer one extra flight. So, you're looking at 1 -> 3 -> 5 -> 6 or 7 and so on. Transatlantic flights are sure profitable but they tie up a lot of planes if you're running at peak capacity. Bear in mind that a jet on a shorter route can usually get 5-7 flights off a single aircraft.

• Locked thread