Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

sunburstbasser posted:

Would the DC-9 be a suitable candidate for HK-Tokyo? Smaller than a 727, but cheaper too.

Tokyo's 310 miles outside of Jr's flight range. Kid's a bit out of shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I tend to agree. We had our fun voting. We got to see a boat. I want to see how a win can be pulled out of this scenario, and I think if we keep picking random options, we won't ever be able to defeat 'Murica.

Another vote for this option. I know I don't know nearly enough about this game to find a path to victory from this point; and I suspect that those in the thread that do are vastly outnumbered.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

The White Dragon posted:

Permanent abdication to the CEO, he's more or less the only one who has any idea how this game works. We've had about as much growth as AirMarx in the same amount of time.

Fourthing this.

What is the name of the phenomenon whereby a democracy votes to abolish itself and institute a dictatorship, anyway?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

The White Dragon posted:

Permanent abdication to the CEO, he's more or less the only one who has any idea how this game works. We've had about as much growth as AirMarx in the same amount of time.

Echo this vote. We're flailing here.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

This is the best vote. O Great Benevolet CEO, please assume direct control henceforth.

PS - Please send the proceeds of my share of AirRan to Totally Legal Finance Holding Company at 1 Cayman Islands Street, Cayman Islands.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
It looks like Berlin and Paris still aren't doing too well. Are all of our executives in use at all times? If not we could try a Cultural Promotion in Europe if we can spare one of them for a year. Otherwise the museum isn't serving any other purpose other than a few hundred extra K per quarter since cultural buildings don't seem to have the passive effects the other types of businesses do; we can consider selling it to facilitate plane purchases if we aren't going to use it to its full potential.

Actually, I haven't really played around with ads too much myself so I don't know if promoting a museum in London will even help the Paris and Berlin routes (my ads generally center around businesses in my hub cities).

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

The White Dragon posted:

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I tend to agree. We had our fun voting. We got to see a boat. I want to see how a win can be pulled out of this scenario, and I think if we keep picking random options, we won't ever be able to defeat 'Murica.

Chuu posted:

Another vote for this option. I know I don't know nearly enough about this game to find a path to victory from this point; and I suspect that those in the thread that do are vastly outnumbered.

Hedera Helix posted:

Fourthing this.

What is the name of the phenomenon whereby a democracy votes to abolish itself and institute a dictatorship, anyway?

Agent Interrobang posted:

Echo this vote. We're flailing here.

Techno Remix posted:

This is the best vote. O Great Benevolet CEO, please assume direct control henceforth.

PS - Please send the proceeds of my share of AirRan to Totally Legal Finance Holding Company at 1 Cayman Islands Street, Cayman Islands.

So be it! For the rest of Scenario 1, Voting is suspended.

I'll play out the rest of AirRan's story on my own judgment and see what can be made from what the thread has given me.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

good. I like that

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Good! Maybe not as a shareholder I'll actually see some profit from this drat company. I knew I should've invested in 'Murica. :v:

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Even though the LP isn't over, can I just say how awesome it is to see this being played out and explained? I loved the concept of this game as a kid, but (like most Koei games) the concepts were way smarter than me and I was more often than not renting them from small town video rental stores that came with no instruction books and a five day max rental period. I probably wouldn't be any better at playing it now, but at least everything makes sense after reading this.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
buy boat

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Buy TWO boats :v:

Serious answer: MORE ANDOUG THE GIANT (and posse). We need that sweet, sweet, transatlantic money. ALL HAIL ROMNYC, SON OF THROM.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Sneak preview of upcoming Air-Business Update:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Good god it's true, goons really do ruin everything.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I vote to add exactly where the boat was purchased on that graph to see who we can blame.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Most Intriguing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I regret nothing. :colbert:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

NewMars posted:

Of course-we have no understanding of the game.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe

NewMars posted:

Indeed we do, see for example:

The democracy 3 let's play, goons managed to trigger one of the worst situations in the game. :haw:

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler

Bloodly posted:

Of course-we have no understanding of the game.
Still, people should at least understand that an aeronautics company has no business owning a boat. :colbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Diversification is actually a key component of lategame Aerobiz strategy :colbert: We just jumped the gun a bit.

Actually, I still find myself unable to account for the mysterious malaise that gripped post-boat AirRan. I suspect sabotage from anti-boat extremists proverbially sunk our ship, and also literally sunk our ship.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Zero grinder posted:

Indeed we do, see for example:

The democracy 3 let's play, goons managed to trigger one of the worst situations in the game. :haw:

Speaking of, I'll be borrowing some procedural stuff from that thread once we move on to Scenario 2, to make it easier to support long-form plans. The year-by-year vote/budget format made some sorts of action very tricky.

E: I'll do a full postmortem after we're done with Scen1, but considering that it's a first time game from one of the worst starts on the map, goons did fairly well.

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 4, 2014

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
I fully support a name change for OP to A Raving Balloon in honor of this let's play. Just sayin.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
1969-71 - Resurgence

For detailed information regarding the events of the last three years, please consult the attached minutes from our last general performance review.

To make sense of it all, let’s look at some graphs.

Overall Performance Retrospective

With the campaign nearly through, most the major trends have set in. The Americans are handed domination over the markets by virtue of their strong starting position, but even with that the AI still sort of stumbles its way to the top of the pile instead of leaping it in a single bound. A less privileged start like ConAir’s can still produce a strong portfolio, but not one immune to pressure from smaller competitors. A bad spot like 1950s Russia presents a situation which the AI has no idea how to deal with, where it is easily crippled and left to limp along in obscurity for the next twenty years.

Wedged in between there us. Under mass goon control we got off to a quick start, and tended to have more ups than downs. However, as the midgame settled in the board had trouble finding ways to build upward momentum. This was far from helped by the limitations of the LP’s planning and budgeting formats, which made it difficult to lay long-term plans, and the fact that roughly all of the voters hadn’t the slightest clue how to AeroBiz, as illustrated here:

My actions during this span were fairly straightforward: adding a jet to our trans-atlantic line, upgrading some old Doug-routes, getting into Australia, and hooking up some solid midrange cities. Having the freedom to enact those plans at their own pace helped ensure a smooth rollout, but there is only so much smooth that we can roll.

We are not in a position to win, but for a game started in from one of the hardest positions and run by folks who’d gladly piss away a year’s budget on Chinese Yachts, we’ve come out rather well. We won’t come out of this on top, but we can sure as hell drag everyone else down with us. For the final years of Scenario 1, I have two goals:

1. Claim North America

The Islamabubble has delivered us the temporary insult of being outdone in our home region. We will repay this.

With the current spread of passengers, the addition of 3-5 Juniors running daily flights out of Chicago will be enough to close the gap between us and the Americans. Everything east of the Rockies is within Jr’s range and carries opening fees of less than twenty million per city. With a few strong steps we can bring them down a peg.

2. Defeat ConAir

ConAir has not held the top spot in their home zone for years. Everywhere that we compete, we have overtaken them. It is time we took away their final hiding place. A swift thrust into the heart of Oceania will drain their numbers in a twelve thousand passenger market where they’ve long reigned supreme. There are currently eleven thousand passengers between our scores. Combining that with out offensive in America should be exactly what we need to get them underfoot and claim our rightful place as the second greatest airline in the world.

1972 Is upon us. It is a good year to fly.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
That slideshow was tremendous. I'd like to see more of those in the future!

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
More D. Increase the D. Forever D :d:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just want to stress for people in that future scenarios we should concentrate on building up a strong presence of flights between different regions. They take fewer planes and can generate large amounts of income. Expand across the globe and backfill later using the money obtained from that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

You know, I like that B. That's half a D, and half Ds can eventually become full Ds. You know what else has a B? Boat! Must get in on that boat business. Boat business! That has two Bs, that's one D! We need more D, so we need more B. Get in on that.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Honestly, Scenario 1 is one of the harder ones because of the limits that 50s aircraft slap you with in the early game. You can be much more flexible with what's on the table in 70s.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Honestly, Scenario 1 is one of the harder ones because of the limits that 50s aircraft slap you with in the early game. You can be much more flexible with what's on the table in 70s.

You're also missing out on a lot of lucrative tourism destinations that haven't developed yet. Also the world has not yet reached :japan: GLORIOUS NIPPON APOTHEOSIS :japan: so you can't break the game by spamming flights from Tokyo.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I was happy to see this game pop up and happy to see one scenario done start to finish.

I am ecstatic to hear that you're going to take us all the way to 2015.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
All I can say is we need more D for more Dollars.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I think the real issue is that we stopped buying boats. Just look at where our profit peaked! We bought one boat and then no more profit growth. I'm sure that Mark Penn would agree with me about this obvious correlation.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I'd like to publically apologize for hobbling our fair airline because of a pun. It was the fifties. We were high off the war and we thought we were the masters of the universe. If you could reduce Hiroshima to cinders in seconds why couldn't there be a powerhouse Iranian airline? Time to crush our enemies.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Speaking of, I'll be borrowing some procedural stuff from that thread once we move on to Scenario 2, to make it easier to support long-form plans. The year-by-year vote/budget format made some sorts of action very tricky.

Heh, glad you think the vote system worked out so well :) It took a bit of improvisation to get it to work the way I wanted, but it think it worked out pretty decently in the end.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

This game was a favorite rental of mine back when it was contemporary; so I put it on my Kindle- still fun, but oh man it seems like relevant information is so difficult to get to or just plain nonexistent. I suppose I've been spoiled by the ~20 years of strategy games since then, but the lack of a comprehensive list of possible routes, available planes, and history graphs make this game a lot harder to play.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
The final stretch is played and a report on the events of 1972-75 is being compiled.

Until such time as it is ready for review, consider this:

I found one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Congrats. Are they rare these days? I'm not too knowledgeable on the whole collecting thing.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
There's not too many of them out there, but low demand keeps the price around $30. I found that one at a hole-in-the-wall buy/sell/trade store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The biggest problem AirRan has had is facing as its #1 competitor an airline that can use NY-LON, which is a kingmaker route in Scenario 1. We ended up pretty boxed in, though not as badly as AirMarx of course.

• Locked thread