Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

This is from some random NeoGAF post so it may or may not be total bullshit:

1. Lightning
2. Hatsune Miku
3. Monokuma
4. Zero from Drag-on Dragoon 3
5. Neptune/Purple Heart
6. God Eater's Alisa
7. Yuna and Raiden tied
9. Rorona
10. Rean from Sen no Kiseki

I haven't played most of these so I dunno, maybe this is actually a total travesty and "Rean from Sen no Kiseki" is literally Japanese Citizen Kane, but just out of the ones I've seen I'd probably pick Lightning as well. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Miku Hatsune has one of the nuttiest fanbases in Japan and Danganronpa's most popular character is Monokuma and he is also super popular outside of that game. The fact that Lightning beat those two is a massive accomplishment.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Tempo 119 posted:

5. Neptune/Purple Heart

The fact that this is even on the list shows just how worthless the whole thing is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

The fact that this is even on the list shows just how worthless the whole thing is.

Those games have more sequels than even FFXIII and keep getting them. I don't understand at all. :smith:

(Well, okay, I do understand but the answer is :pedo: + a budget of a buck fifty.)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Miku Hatsune has one of the nuttiest fanbases in Japan and Danganronpa's most popular character is Monokuma and he is also super popular outside of that game. The fact that Lightning beat those two is a massive accomplishment.

The funny thing is that Miku isn't even a character. Or do the Vocaloid games have stories now?

I've beaten all the main quests with three days to spare. Seriously considering just looking at FAQs for some of the sidequests because finding specific characters with no clues as to where they are or when is really annoying.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Renoistic posted:

The funny thing is that Miku isn't even a character. Or do the Vocaloid games have stories now?

Much like Touhou and Kancolle, the Vocaloid series is a series where most of the character and story stuff is fan content and there is a lot of it. That makes it all the more insane that Lightning beat her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I've beaten all the main quests with three days to spare. Seriously considering just looking at FAQs for some of the sidequests because finding specific characters with no clues as to where they are or when is really annoying.

She has enough of a character she appeared in Super Robot Wars somehow.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I just got back into this and just got the shard blade from a Reaver. I thought Cloud's sword was ridiculous, but man. Now I can't wait to get the pink one.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
I have a spare keycode for the FFX Summoner outfit (+staff/shield) from the FFX HD remake. EU version if that matters.

2KD5-MCN2-CH5B

first come first served if anyone wants it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Qwezz posted:

I have a spare keycode for the FFX Summoner outfit (+staff/shield) from the FFX HD remake. EU version if that matters.

2KD5-MCN2-CH5B

first come first served if anyone wants it.

Snapped up gladly!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This game is pretty incredible because unless I am mistaken, it is the first Final Fantasy game for 14 years that lets you play as a female character who wears pants

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Instant Grat posted:

This game is pretty incredible because unless I am mistaken, it is the first Final Fantasy game for 14 years that lets you play as a female character who wears pants

On the other hand, there are also dresspheresschema which are teeeeny tiny bikinis, and Lightning got an obvious boob job since the last game.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
We don't talk about Amazon Warrior and the boob job

Really though, I know Toriyama is weird and in love with Lightning in a bad way, but at least there were outfit-designers on the dev team who were nice enough to make garbs that don't make me feel like I'm being put on a list somewhere for playing the game. Quiet Guardian is cool, Velvet Bouncer is cool, Cyber Jumpsuit is cool, Midnight Mauve is cool. Primavera is cool if you wear a moustache adornment with it.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 22, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Honestly there are only about four or five schema I've found (granted, I don't have most of the Hard mode ones) that seem really creepy. Out of 80+ or so, that's not bad.

Edit:
Incidentally, Square is holding a sale on their site, where it's 20% off one item, or 30% off two I think. A bunch of stuff is eligible, including LR: FFXIII. Not that many people probably read this thread who don't already have the game...

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quiet Guardian is basically what I wore the entire game. It's a completely reasonable outfit.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I really like Cold Rebellion (coat + scarf) but having it upgrade into Watery Chorus is some kind of thematic whiplash if nothing else.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ImpAtom posted:

Quiet Guardian is basically what I wore the entire game. It's a completely reasonable outfit.

Put on the hat you get for beating Aeronite, and then color the jacket white, the pants red, and the boots white for the best outfit.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Schwartzcough posted:

Honestly there are only about four or five schema I've found (granted, I don't have most of the Hard mode ones) that seem really creepy. Out of 80+ or so, that's not bad.

Edit:
Incidentally, Square is holding a sale on their site, where it's 20% off one item, or 30% off two I think. A bunch of stuff is eligible, including LR: FFXIII. Not that many people probably read this thread who don't already have the game...

Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Oh, it's going for the low low price for 48 bucks! PASS.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It would have been neat if they had put in a way to decouple a garb's appearance from what it does. Some of the cooler looking ones have kinda crappy built in skills. Cyber jumpsuit is neat, but dispel is just not terribly useful. Likewise primavera, vigilance, and Siegfried. I used bold vanguard, intruder, and dust and shadow a lot, personally. Bold vanguard in particular was really customizable color-wise.

The two super-FF dlc ones are also pretty cool for being so incredibly FF armor.

vvvv Yeah. I am ashamed to admit that I used amazon warrior for a while because speed strike and the passives were better than my alternatives. Fortunately innocence was decent and I eventually got higher level attack skills.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 22, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

chumbler posted:

It would have been neat if they had put in a way to decouple a garb's appearance from what it does. Some of the cooler looking ones have kinda crappy built in skills.

On the flip side of the coin, some of the more interesting unique abilities are on the most awful fanservice garbs, like that Siren Strike skill that does quick hits that inflict short-lasting ailments being on the only garb that's less clothed than the Amazon Warrior.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I have actually used the Siegfried outfit a tonne. I also coloured it the deepest black you could make it and it looks even more awesome.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So, the last boss is a complete bastard. I sail through every form but the hit the solid brick wall of death that is the final form. I just can't get a stagger on it. I manage to get the stagger meter up to 50-70% with overclock and by switching between outfits mid combo. Then it attacks, I block, and the meter is all but gone. Usually I use physical attacks to get the meter to stay high longer but the attacks just take too long in this fight.

I've looked up strategies but they usually use weapons and equipment I've never seen even though I finished almost every sidequest and request and (almost) beat the secret dungeon. Does anyone have any tips? It's getting really annoying, even worse than the final boss of XIII-2.

Rothgil
May 12, 2008

Renoistic posted:

So, the last boss is a complete bastard. I sail through every form but the hit the solid brick wall of death that is the final form. I just can't get a stagger on it. I manage to get the stagger meter up to 50-70% with overclock and by switching between outfits mid combo. Then it attacks, I block, and the meter is all but gone. Usually I use physical attacks to get the meter to stay high longer but the attacks just take too long in this fight.

I've looked up strategies but they usually use weapons and equipment I've never seen even though I finished almost every sidequest and request and (almost) beat the secret dungeon. Does anyone have any tips? It's getting really annoying, even worse than the final boss of XIII-2.

I used aerora and thundera. Put either one on each scheme then cast it once and switch to the next schema and continue casting it. Repeat until stagger. Works great with the superbosses

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Renoistic posted:

I only managed to beat that bastard by stockpiling ethers and turbo-ethers. I could not stagger the final form legit and was just about dead so in desperation I had to overdrive him into stagger and then spam overdrive until he was dead. Even then I ran out of EP and just barely managed to deliver the finishing blow while he was still down. I felt a little bad for cheesing it like that and probably could have found a better strategy if I had worked at it, but hell if I'm fighting those first forms again to do it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The weapon you get for beating the Wildlands boss is invaluable in the final boss fight (as well as both superbosses) - any stagger-raising attack you perform while it's equipped will instantly stagger the enemy if the stagger wave is at 75% or more (around when it gets red). Other than that, Thundara or Aerora are the best spells for stagger-raising, so have one of them on each of your schema and spam 'em like crazy - putting them all on the same button helps make it a bit easier to execute.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, as soon as the bar turns red, switch to the schema with Chaos's Revenge equipped, even if it's got little ATB and you should stagger it then and there.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the suggestions I haven't tried spamming those spells yet. Does the Wild lands boss sword work even when you're casting spells? I don't have any ethers since I wasted all of them in the secret dungeon, but I can get to the final form without using any EP so I'll gave enough for a couple of overdrives.

Also is every god / demigod in the FF13 universe contractually obligated to be a petty dick? Sure seems that way.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 29, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

When switching from Aerora to Thundara and from schema to schema, do your best to avoid triggering the spell finales so you can keep up the constant stream of casting. Instead of blocking, it helps to have an outfit that can nullify most or all of magical damage that you can just switch to to tank stuff while still casting. It also helps to have one of your outfits be Equilibrium+ as its special ability will help you keep up the onslaught.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Yeah, spells, physical attacks, perfectly timed guards, anything. As long as it raises the stagger gauge and you do it from a schema with that sword equipped, it'll work.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I find that mixing a few uses of Ruin in when staggering someone is particularly helpful, especially if it has Stagger Duration bonuses.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Some other weapons, like most spears (including the one you get from the Luxerion boss) have +stagger% (similar to the weapon from the Wildland's boss, but a bit different). Those may help too. Although they probably won't have the best stats, they're still helpful, especially if you have one or two schemas using the hoods to reduce physical or magical damage- those kill your damage output, but stagger buildup isn't tied to the damage you do. So you can still build stagger if you're doing 5 damage a hit.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

"Schwartzcough" posted:

Although they probably won't have the best stats, they're still helpful, especially if you have one or two schemas using the hoods to reduce physical or magical damage- those kill your damage output, but stagger buildup isn't tied to the damage you do. So you can still build stagger if you're doing 5 damage a hit.

Seriously? I'll have to try that out next time. I'll give the boss shot again after work.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You basically want to switch between stagger rate and stagger duration; throw Light Slash on one or two of your shemas and intersperse it through everything else to make sure stagger doesn't decay. Once you do get that stagger, you've won.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Spent around 30 minutes oppressing about my setup, then finally beat the last boss! I took it easy for the first forms, taking my time to heal with mediguard. The second to last form beat my face in since I had completely focused on negating magic damage but I got past him while using up most of my items. The timing for his attacks are pretty darn tricky as well. Then for the final form I just used up all my EP and threw everything I had at the bastard and managed to stagger it. It took twenty minutes but I don't care. It's done. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd put it together with Ex-death and Caious on my list of annoying dickish bosses.

Edit: I have no idea why people are making GBS threads on the ending. It was corny in the best way and I'm having trouble imagining a better ending for the trilogy. Who cares if it's out of character or whatever? I had a goofy grin on my face throughout the whole ending which is what I want from a Final Fantasy finale.

Smiling french Lightning at the end looked seriously creepy though :gonk:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 30, 2014

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally beat Caius. Bloody hell is he hard. Now all I need to do is trigger the final major soul and wait for the endgame.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In case anyone needed further proof that Japan lacks good taste, these were apparently rejected garb designs:

We missed out on penguin Lightning, Garland/Mordekaiser Lightning knocking people down, a proper moogle suit Lightning, sentai Lightning, and Asura Lightning. If only there was hope in dlc.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 6, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

chumbler posted:

In case anyone needed further proof that Japan lacks good taste, these were apparently rejected garb designs:

We missed out on penguin Lightning, Garland/Mordekaiser Lightning knocking people down, a proper moogle suit Lightning, sentai Lightning, and Asura Lightning. If only there was hope in dlc.

Can't be a moogle suit- no pom pom. Still, I would totally rock the Lenna Monk outfit or the Battle Nun.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

chumbler posted:

Give me the magical girl, the penguin, and the Anime Sauron IMMEDIATELY

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
Well, thanks for posting that. Now I'm sad I'll never get to play Lightning Returns as Cait Sith or Lum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will forever lament we did not get to use Akashic Lightning.

• Locked thread