Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
It took a few tries but I managed to take out both Wildlands bosses in a day. They were frustrating though. Caius and Chocobo Eater 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Oh hey maybe everyone figured this out already but all the monsters in the Wildlands come out at night (bell rings at 6PM and you hear an announcement to get the gently caress indoors), which explains why there was that one poster saying there were too many Reavers everywhere yesterday and everyone else saying "drat, I wish". I'm drowning in EP and shard swords right now.

Dead Dunes is the opposite, you get Gurengatches and Earth Eaters everywhere during the day but I read on a loading screen it goes quiet at night.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Wildlands boss dominated me something fierce. He does loving tons of damage and I don't have enough AP to keep blocking all that poo poo.

For him you really need to customize your schema a lot. It may even be worthwhile to make two defensive Schema, one geared towards physical and one geared towards magical. He's probably one of the overall toughest bosses in the game and really rewards specializing your setup. It also helps a lot if you can master perfect guarding which severely limits the damage he can do with some of his bigger attacks.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
I am actually enjoying this game. This is... genuine human surprise right here. FF13 was a slog and 13-2 was so anime my brain rejected it like a mismatched organ transplant.

I'm only on Day 3 so far, still haven't finished a Main Quest, so I reserve the right to back-peddle on this. But so far, it feels like Square finally admitted they're not capable of making all of the content high quality... so they just said, gently caress it. A few clearly defined main quests. Then, for the rest, we'll do fetch quests with NPCs you aren't supposed to give a poo poo about, and the fetching is for guaranteed drops from monsters you're killing anyway, or treasure chests you're opening anyway. Works for me.

It helps that I haven't hit any terrible melodrama or power of love and friendship speeches yet. Someone please warn me if this is incoming. I can deal with absurd plot lines about God restarting the Universe because Darkness. Just, for the love of all that is good and decent, no big eyed teenagers staring at the sky praying for Dead [Family Member] to come back.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Scenes like that are generally handled reasonably well in this game. The highest concentration of JRPG is to be found in the ending, but I actually reasonably enjoyed that.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't actually do much with the armageddon part of the story. Unlike in Majora's Mask where NPCs start with a vague sense of unease and generally move towards panic as the days go further and the music gets darker, the vast majority of the sidequests and NPCs in this tend to revolve around the 500 years of stagnation, rather than armageddon. The latter tends to get a passing mention sometimes - which I wouldn't mind, if they emphasised the "we're loving sick of this poo poo" aspect and had the end being more of a relief for characters, but nope.

e; also, the soundtrack's pretty disappointing compared to 13-2's. The best songs in the game are either continuations of a theme (Lightning's theme) or from previous games (Saber's Edge, Worlds Collide etc). Except for Yuuhi no Kaerimichi, which is a chillax song on-par with Fisherman's Horizon that is played very briefly in Eremis?

Murodese fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 17, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be honest the ending's stupid, but it does make actual sense in the context of the dumb story. Like if it were just the reincarnations of the character or something like that instead of literally Lightning being on a train to loving France, there would probably be less outrage over it I guess. Basically what I'm saying is just DDS2 the ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

To be honest the ending's stupid, but it does make actual sense in the context of the dumb story. Like if it were just the reincarnations of the character or something like that instead of literally Lightning being on a train to loving France, there would probably be less outrage over it I guess. Basically what I'm saying is just DDS2 the ending.

I'm pretty sure that is what it is supposed to be considering they're all magical ghost things by the end of the game.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
This game is fun but it's really frustrating that you can get stuck in a fight where you can't win at all. I ran across my first Earth Eater and my set up was not prepared for it at all. So now I'm stuck in a fight that I essentially can't lose, since I take no damage, but I essentially can't win because I deal no damage. I've been fighting him for 20 minutes and his health bar hasn't moved. So now I probably have to escape and lose an hour, which is frustrating.

And I'm not even sure how to fix the issue because it says use wind and I'm spamming the poo poo out of Aeroga but he won't stagger. I think it's the status effect that reduces magic damage that is causing the problem perhaps, but I have no way to remove them.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

The T3 spells are not great for staggering, they're way too slow to cast and use too much ATB. You're better off being able to chain-spam 3 T2 spells than a T3. I only used T3 spells a handful of times throughout the game - they make sense in 13/13-2 because you can hit hard with magic during staggers, but it just doesn't compare to melee in staggers for 13-3.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I decided to make a branched off save file to take a peek at the endgame (on Day 7 at the moment), and wowza. I felt like the game was getting easier and then the difficulty spiked right back up. Didn't even stand a chance of beating the final boss and his four loving forms.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Murodese posted:

The T3 spells are not great for staggering, they're way too slow to cast and use too much ATB. You're better off being able to chain-spam 3 T2 spells than a T3. I only used T3 spells a handful of times throughout the game - they make sense in 13/13-2 because you can hit hard with magic during staggers, but it just doesn't compare to melee in staggers for 13-3.

Yeah I've found that the 4 garbs that have the + versions of the basic spells are generally pretty good since a full chain of the + spell is pretty fast, cheap, and hits hard at the end. It's a shame midnight mauve isn't that great, since it looks good.

I've only finished Snow's and Noel's stories so far, but Snow's was really good and the fight against Snow himself was great. Noel's was kind of half assed, just like Noel. Inoffensive, but bland. He was a jerk to fight with all his evading, though. Been mostly doing side quests in Luxerion and am now on day 6 with 4 left.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Murodese posted:

I understand that, that's kinda my point though. I use those big spells on the trash as I'm running around because you can clear them fast and easy. Then up pops a random enemy for which you have no effective skills at all and you lose an hour. Maybe they should have let you change abilities during a fight, or maybe an hour isn't that big of a deal, I don't know.

Really it's not that big of a deal I guess, I lost an hour but now I know what I need to bring to the table if I see one of those in the wild again.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 17, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I understand that, that's kinda my point though. I use those big spells on the trash as I'm running around because you can clear them fast and easy. Then up pops a random enemy for which you have no effective skills at all and you lose an hour. Maybe they should have let you change abilities during a fight, or maybe an hour isn't that big of a deal, I don't know.

An hour is not actually a big deal unless you're on a timed quest. However it generally helps to have at least one good staggering spell on your guys.

That said, Earth Eaters are pretty big fuckers. They're probably the single most annoying regular mob in the game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just finished the Shadow Hunter fight.

Took me a couple tries, but I thought it was really fun. Fighting Noel seemed closer to a Devil May Cry boss fight than a typical JRPG fight. I also thought the pre-fight banter was pretty neat, if only for Noel and Lightning being stone-loving cold to each other and showing signs of mentally cracking. "You want to find Yeul? Find her in death." :stare:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Just finished the Shadow Hunter fight.

Took me a couple tries, but I thought it was really fun. Fighting Noel seemed closer to a Devil May Cry boss fight than a typical JRPG fight. I also thought the pre-fight banter was pretty neat, if only for Noel and Lightning being stone-loving cold to each other and showing signs of mentally cracking. "You want to find Yeul? Find her in death." :stare:

I liked how Lightning was being :smug: as poo poo to him, too. Lightning is so much more interesting and fun as a character when she can actually emote and interact with people, even though she's supposed to be dead inside. I want to believe the voice directors just said "You know what, gently caress being accurate to the story, let's actually make it fun." Hope also has some good moments from time to time. Mostly when he's making fun of Lightning instead of being an annoying nag or creepy pervert.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Beat Yusnaan's main quest today. That boss at the end was awesome. Started fighting him around five in the morning, he beat me, so back up to the Ark I went. Decided on better tactics, went back down, oops, it was the time when everything suddenly gets powered up. Beat him first try anyway.

Found a couple of things in Yusnaan that have entirely broken the game in terms of fighting monsters. That item you get at the end of Yusnaan, one of the Garbs that has Physical Defence up, an extra def accessory and Mediguard. As long as I avoid taking magic head-on, I have unlimited healing through the awesome power of stalling. Since the accessory tanks magic and strength, I'm using it for Saboteur things as well. Also since I can beat up as many monsters as I want, it's practically infinite EP as well.

And the Chocobo quest in Yusnaan. :3:

Also started the Wildlands. I love it. :3: times a million, sheeps, Chocobos, and I hope Moogles if these random forest people are right. Couldn't fit Bobby Corwen in the name box, so went for the Best Chocobo Name (Choco, duh). Going to take him around to eat those flowers now while I wait for the vines to move so I can go poke around the last little bits of the forest

Oh, and the Amazon Warrior garb or whatever turned up in the Ark. Ahahahaha.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McDragon posted:

Oh, and the Amazon Warrior garb or whatever turned up in the Ark. Ahahahaha.

I was like "Huh, I wonder how bad...", saw it, and quickly clicked away before even checking the stats. It may be the strongest Garb in the game for all I know. It's still not getting equipped.

The Demoness garb is worse.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

The extinct mechanic is actually quite cool.

(end-game)
I liked how any of the Last Ones you defeated in Ultimate Lair then led to doors on in the Ultima shrines being totally unguarded, because those monsters didn't exist anymore. The only stuff that was there was the few chaos monsters, Anubys and Sets.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I beat the Wildlands boss eventually, after backing off and doing two other entire main quests first (all on the same day :smug: ). My overall strategy was to turtle up for his whole commando phase and just lob a bunch of spells in the short pauses between his ravager attacks. Still never managed to stagger him, but it didn't take too long to wear him down and I got 4 stars for it (possibly could have used an overclock somewhere to bump it up). It probably helps that I wiped out the Reavers for a FLESH RENDER (900 STR/MAG, a million miles better than anything else I've seen at this point), and also I don't remember where I picked it up but I have an accessory that charges the two inactive ATBs every time you do magic damage. It might be the 6EP chest on top of the ruined city? Not sure.

The cutscene that followed was some real loving nonsense by the way, I think this means Yeul is the Dark Souls??

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 17, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I got 5 stars on the Shadow Hunter fight on my first try, but they're small red stars rather than the big gold ones you get for the beating the tutorial boss. Do the smaller stars mean something different?

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 17, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

chumbler posted:

I liked how Lightning was being :smug: as poo poo to him, too. Lightning is so much more interesting and fun as a character when she can actually emote and interact with people, even though she's supposed to be dead inside. I want to believe the voice directors just said "You know what, gently caress being accurate to the story, let's actually make it fun." Hope also has some good moments from time to time. Mostly when he's making fun of Lightning instead of being an annoying nag or creepy pervert.

Their conversation in the Moogle search quest was great. Speaking of the Moogles, I got a good laugh at Lightning and Mog's "hug."

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Except for the Wildlands and parts where they said gently caress this let's have fun with the script, I hate this game. Getting the bad ending is cannon enough for me.

I can't imagine how much more annoying this game would be if you didn't have the DLC/cloud outfits. I've been looking for boss strategies that don't involve Overclock Slayer over and over or take 10 minutes.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 17, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

Except for the Wildlands and parts where they said gently caress this let's have fun with the script, I hate this game. Getting the bad ending is cannon enough for me.

I can't imagine how much more annoying this game would be if you didn't have the DLC/cloud outfits. I've been looking for boss strategies that don't involve Overclock Slayer over and over or take 10 minutes.

What's giving you trouble? I didn't have any DLC outfits and had no trouble with it so they're not necessary.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
Walking around in the FFX-2 Yuna outfit in Luxerion.

"She must be in the Gullwings"

"Hey, found any spheres lately?"

:allears:

Do other outfits also get unique NPC remarks?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm wearing the Business Suit you get from Yusnaan and I've heard a few comments about it.

"Hey is that a suit?"

"Is she an official?"

Also when wearing the Warrior of Etro suit from FF 13-2

"A Knight? I didn't think we still had any of those!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of outfits get unique comments. Including, bizarrely, a few which are like "What a handsome man" and "Wow, he's cute... wait, that's a woman?!" which I don't even know where the hell that comes from.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yeah I've had a few that were snarky when going around in one suit (can't remember which suit). Stuff like "what is she wearing?".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I forgot to pick up the weapon the Luxerion boss drops.
It's gone until NG+ now, I'm assuming?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, no getting that back. Same goes for any of the Last One drops.

Midnight Mauve gets a lot of comments in towns, as well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ah, poo poo. I'm not sure why Squeenix decided it'd be a good idea to put their drops in the world instead of the battle drops like everything else, but oh well, I know now. Square works in mysterious ways.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of outfits get unique comments. Including, bizarrely, a few which are like "What a handsome man" and "Wow, he's cute... wait, that's a woman?!" which I don't even know where the hell that comes from.

You know how people crack wise about anime men looking indistinguishable from women? It goes both ways, androgynous ladies are pretty common too. Usually leading to much "Wah! I've been crushing on a G-GIRL?!" nonsense. Prime example being Sailor Uranus from Sailor Moon (though, to be fair, she IS a lesbian, and flirts with anything in a skirt). Lightning has a not-traditonally-girly hairstyle, a relatively deep voice and in those costumes is wearing a suit cut for a man. Thus, comments.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Hah, that's a neat detail. Now I need to see if the Cloud outfit gets any unique conversation. Speaking of neat touches, I found one of the street performers people mentioned, and this time he was doing an acoustic version of the New Bhodum theme. The game's a lot more fun when you explore and not try to follow the completion guide.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I must have glossed over this, but from the op:

quote:

Head Accessory allows you to equip another passive ability specifically to that Schema. It does not apply to other Schema but tends to be powerful. It can be anything from starting with extra ATB to reducing all damage by 75%. It's probably the single most important inventory slot.

Arm Accessory is a weaker version of Head Accessory. What makes it stand out is that Arm Accessories apply to all three Schema. Equip an anti-Deprotect and it works for anything you throw on.

So am I reading this correctly? Each Schema give you a head and arm accessory slot, but the head slot only works for that schema while the arm slot gives you the bonus over all three schema? So if I put, say DEF+10% on Seigfried, when I swap to Midnight Mauve I still get DEF+10% (but not whatever head bonus I had on Siegfried)?

Also, I'm in the camp of not liking having a time limit. Right now I'm on Day 3 and have cleared maybe half the Luxerion/Yusnaan quests and have dipped my toe in the Wildlands/Dead Dunes, but haven't completed missions 1 or 2 yet (I think I'm on 1-3 and 2-2). I just feel underpowered in general, even though I've bought pretty much every outfit possible at this point in the game, but the fights that DO click are certainly fun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just got a bunch of Shard Blades from the Behemoths at the start of the Wildlands. They're a tad awesome.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

PunkBoy posted:

Hah, that's a neat detail. Now I need to see if the Cloud outfit gets any unique conversation. Speaking of neat touches, I found one of the street performers people mentioned, and this time he was doing an acoustic version of the New Bhodum theme. The game's a lot more fun when you explore and not try to follow the completion guide.

I've heard, "that must be one of the elites!" and, "That's a big sword!" in the cloud outfit.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
I'm on day 8 and have just completed all the main quests and ~45 of the side quests so far. Does more content open up towards the end, or am I gonna have some slow days? All I can think to do now is explore more in the Dead Dunes/Wildlands and collect stuff for canvas quests.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Refused posted:

I'm on day 8 and have just completed all the main quests and ~45 of the side quests so far. Does more content open up towards the end, or am I gonna have some slow days? All I can think to do now is explore more in the Dead Dunes/Wildlands and collect stuff for canvas quests.

You will unlock the optional dungeon on the 13th day, since you have 45 side quests done. Otherwise I just endlessly killed monsters, and killing their Last Ones. The big problem with the optional dungeon is that time still flows while you are in battle, and you cannot use Chronostasis, so being able to skip a few last one fights is a godsend.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm wearing the Business Suit you get from Yusnaan and I've heard a few comments about it.

"Hey is that a suit?"

"Is she an official?"

Also when wearing the Warrior of Etro suit from FF 13-2

"A Knight? I didn't think we still had any of those!"

The knight-ish one (can't remember its name) from the rare shop gets similar comments to the 13-2 armor, I think. The paladin garb makes people talk about you as a holy knight or member of the order, at least in Luxerion. I need to run around the towns one of these days wearing all the different outfits just to see what people say. They really came up with a ton of lines, and it's a little touch that I appreciate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

In the guide, there's a whole category of outfits categorized as masculine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My roommate picked this up and I am really enjoying the flow of the combat system even though I'm not very good at it. After reading the thread it seems like that may just be because I've been staying in the first city to resolve the Shadow Hunter story instead of going out and doing other stuff. My save is directly before the fight with him, am I able to turn around and do it later or am I stuck there? I can't even get him to 50% (although reading general advice in the thread I think I might be able to beat him after a few more tries now).

Also: Should I hang on to all these medals I keep finding or can I just sell them? I assume the monster parts I'm finding I should hang onto since they have come up in quests.

• Locked thread