Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'd actually rank 13-3 above 13-2. It's the only game of the three to actually hold my interest long enough to see it to the end. I did beat 13 and 13-2 just after taking breaks lasting at least a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

TheReverend posted:

So I just played the demo and I thought it was silly (The beginning scene where she's on that tower and she says something clever and she does a quick 180 and she's wearing a pair of dumb silly glasses had my eyes roll so hard I saw my own brain stem) and I didn't understand any of it (even though I played 13 and 13-2) so my question is if you think 13-2 is "fun enough" would you suppose 13-3 would be "fun enough" for about 30 bucks?

Also I played this sober. What drugs are you guys taking to understand the plot (and how much should I take)?

I'm definitely getting my money's worth, and I paid $45 for the game. There's a few genuinely great shmaltz moments, but for the most part you should be laughing at the intentionally funny bits and laughing even harder at the unintentionally funny bits.

Also, the storyline in LR is magnitudes more simple than 13 or 13-2.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ok thanks everyone. I'll pick it up on a sale or something.

[I beat 13-2 leveling everyone to 99 so I guess I'm a good fit]

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
After realizing I spent $60 on this game and I should give it another chance, I started a NG+ Easy. That skipped the intro and a lot of dumb poo poo as it starts you on the ARK ready to go down to the city.

Next came the politician's beard on Lightning with Tomb Raider. Finished Day 2 of spamming chronowhatis and knowing what I'm doing this time here's what I had done:

Spoilers:

Noel Down
Snow Down
Chocobo Healthy
Collecting tablets with Fang
4/5 pieces for Sazh
Reavers extinct. (Their weapon is awesome by the way.)
Something else extinct.
25 Quests
20 Prayers

I think what hosed up my original play-through was exploring and waiting till day 8 to fight bosses, I was wondering why they all had +'s in their names.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
^^ I'm heading in the same direction you were, with delaying boss fights and getting close to their + version. on day 6 atm and I haven't even set foot in The Dead Dunes.

I'm really digging this game. The combat is fun and engaging. The story is (the good kind of) nuts though a bit melodramatic at times. The music is cool. And I get to play pretty princess dressup to boot.
I'm on day 6 atm with 5 or 4 days left. Did everything in Luxerion and a bit in Yusnaan. The guy at the industrial zone gate for the backdoor tour into Augur's quarter said that I need to return around 6 PM. So I went to the wildlands for some time killing and ran into Reavers.
Goddamn that Shardblade is crazy awesome. And really strong too. It's a wonder Lightning can even lift the drat thing. Cloud would be proud.
But I kept missing the 6 PM deadline. Logistics is not my thing :v: and the general RPG mindset of 'side Q's first, main Q last' doesn't help either because of the timelimit.
I'm strongly considering to keep mucking about exploring, doing sidequests and a few main quest parts and then intentionally failing the game to start over in a NG+ doing the main quests asap with all the knowledge I now have.

Also I really like the Mi'qote dress. Magicslash has its uses using aforementioned shardblade. Plus the victory fanfare sounds awesome. Really should look into FFXIV someday.
Townfolk keep referring to me as 'that new hunter race' and that "A beast is on the prrrrowl" and all the cats and dogs follow you around with reckless abandon of what they were doing or where. The dogs even bark when you walk by :3: .
Only thing I don't like is that the tail and ears are part of the garb and not optional.

Funny thing about the outerworld NPC's. They can be cats and dogs too I found out. So when I felt really triumphant kicking Reaver rear end after dying a few times...Queue a bunch of NPC cats and dogs with blue names like "XxSephiroth1994xX" standing around, all with boasting comments and pictures about how they did it first try. No, silly dog, you did not slay a reaver with those tiny paws of yours. his sword doesn't even fit.

I named the Angel of Valhalla 'Chocobodin' :v:. Seemed appropiate.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Met the Moogles yesterday. They were great. Was wandering in the forest looking for mushrooms. "Hey, these lights are interesting, wait a second, they're Moogles!" And then Moogle Village and everything involved with that. :3:

Beat Wildlands boss too. Who thought jumping puzzles were a good idea? Mind you, that place did signal the game starting to give me the 3rd tier spells, and now the game is filled with pretty explosions. Magic Schema is now using Guardian Corps so I can go for Firaga/Blizzaga/Aeroga/Thundaga. Doesn't work so well against bosses in terms of Staggering, but I've got an extra magic Schema for that now. Still, managed to beat Caius with it. Barely.

Wildlands boss was probably the most exciting fight yet. Just managed to scrape a win the first try, out of EP, out of healing items, about 1500 health but he wasn't doing much better so I went all-out and just managed to beat him down. The Caius and Yeul story stuff was dumb as hell, basically XIII-2 but somehow even stupider. But the Odin bits were really quite heartwarming. :3: And then we got into a ridiculously long fight with a Chaos-infused Chocobo Eater, and after that I made a special Schema for Chocobo Eater fighting.

Oh, and I managed to loot a sword off a Reaver. Thing's even bigger than the Buster Sword. And then I got an even bigger one from you-know-where. Also it turns out that weapon choice can also make some cutscenes ridiculous. I'd been using that really thin sword you get in Yusnaan for the play on the default Schema. So when Caius is swinging his ridiculously huge sword around, it gets blocked by this tiny little thing and sends me into a minor laughing fit.

I hate not having Choco around when not in the Wildlands. :qq: It's so slow and I miss my buddy.

DarkstarIV posted:

Last One stuff

Thanks. Found out pretty soon after asking actually, Niblets went down to Rare after I did a quest involving mass Niblet-slaying. Guess I needed to be more patient. But how are you supposed to get that many Mekonekton kills? Is the Last One just a fixed encounter in the optional dungeon or something?

Oh, and I found one of the official Outerworld bots too. Had some kind of shield for 400,000+ gil. How are you supposed to get that much, just grinding?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

McDragon posted:

Thanks. Found out pretty soon after asking actually, Niblets went down to Rare after I did a quest involving mass Niblet-slaying. Guess I needed to be more patient. But how are you supposed to get that many Mekonekton kills? Is the Last One just a fixed encounter in the optional dungeon or something?

Oh, and I found one of the official Outerworld bots too. Had some kind of shield for 400,000+ gil. How are you supposed to get that much, just grinding?

Yeah, its a fixed encounter in the optional dungeon. It's a great place to get some decent accessories (how about a PIN that increases your starting ATB by 50%?), and some not so decent accessories (Increase resistance to fire by 90%, but double all other damage you take).

As for the gil costs, that is about right. The Astral Lord garb on Hard Mode is 500,000 gil, but you get more gil on HM.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Oh my god.

Afro and red chick adornment.

Game of the Year.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

DarkstarIV posted:

some not so decent accessories (Increase resistance to fire by 90%, but double all other damage you take)
The wind one was invaluable for taking on a few of the Last One fights. (Gaunt and... Zaltys?)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This game is great. I was a little concerned about the time limit at first, but it is definitely manageable. I beat the Shadow Hunter, which was an incredibly exhilarating battle. So much strategy involved, and it required good timing of guards to instantly stagger him. Took me five tries, the final lasting eight minutes and giving me a whopping score of 1 point :lol: but I felt a sense of accomplishment and badassery that I haven't in a game in a long time.

I took care of most of the side quests in Luxerion, and am about to move on to Yusnaan, but I was wondering about the Born from Chaos quest. How early are people generally strong enough to beat it? Dude was taking like ~1500 off per hit when I fought him earlier and gently caress that noise.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This game is great. I was a little concerned about the time limit at first, but it is definitely manageable. I beat the Shadow Hunter, which was an incredibly exhilarating battle. So much strategy involved, and it required good timing of guards to instantly stagger him. Took me five tries, the final lasting eight minutes and giving me a whopping score of 1 point :lol: but I felt a sense of accomplishment and badassery that I haven't in a game in a long time.

I took care of most of the side quests in Luxerion, and am about to move on to Yusnaan, but I was wondering about the Born from Chaos quest. How early are people generally strong enough to beat it? Dude was taking like ~1500 off per hit when I fought him earlier and gently caress that noise.

If that's the one with the green dragon in the chaos area of Luxerion, I think you can technically beat it as soon as you get it, provided you're good enough with your perfect guards. You do want to have the right elements going in, though. It's weak to lightning damage. I'd recommend going to the first town in the Wildlands and picking up the electronica garb if you want to make it a little easier on yourself. Having the quiet guardian's heavy guard instead of regular guards would also help. Past that it's just a matter of attrition.

One thing I noticed about chaos area fights, though can't confirm since I only went that long once, is that if you take long enough they will eventually turn off regen on the monster out of pity.

Also I'd say pretty much everyone is going to suck on their first attempt against any boss or monster that isn't trivial, just due to not knowing attack/guard timings, weaknesses, or the best way to stagger them. I blew through full stacks of potions on my first reaver, zomok, and dreadnought fights, and now they're pretty much just speed bumps. Though that being said I still don't have a good answer for flame cyclone and diving strike besides just tanking them. Both are really hard to perfect guard.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 18, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I did that one immediately after the Shadow Hunter and did fine. You get a nice chunk of stats from the SH fight, and the preparation for that fight made me ready for it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

So far I've got 0 Stars and 1 point for every boss except the very first. I guess they're more of a high-score thing with the boss replay thing and they're for later when you've got more stuff. That or I just suck. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
After losing to Caius a few times then changing around garbs a bit to fit the fight I managed to five star him on the first try. It's really awesome messing around with garbs and just dominating a tough boss.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 18, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

After losing to Caius a few times then changing around garbs a bit to fit the fight I managed to five star him on the first try. It's really awesome messing around with garbs and just dominating a tough boss.

Please spoiler that boss, thanks.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Miniflan are extinct! Which is a shame because I'd just found the most hilarious way of taking out the huge groups. Magnet to draw them together, Thundaga to blast them all up in the air. It'll probably Stagger them all at once, making a ridiculously loud noise. Then they all slam into the ground together with the most silly thud. It's way louder than you'd expect for such tiny dudes. Felt a bit sorry for the Last One, not having any buddies to back him up.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I stalled out on 13-2 as soon as I hit Serendipity and got bored trying to cheese the slot machines (and failing but nonetheless). Anyhow, I'm trying to wrap up 13-2 and am now at Academia 200 which seems like it's about 2/3's through the main story. My biggest problem is I get analysis paralysis when it comes to leveling creatures because I don't want to waste any precious mats. Are there any creatures I should (or shouldn't) look for/focus on in a normal play through? I'm probably not going to do much endgame and just jump straight over to 13-3.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Campbell posted:

I stalled out on 13-2 as soon as I hit Serendipity and got bored trying to cheese the slot machines (and failing but nonetheless). Anyhow, I'm trying to wrap up 13-2 and am now at Academia 200 which seems like it's about 2/3's through the main story. My biggest problem is I get analysis paralysis when it comes to leveling creatures because I don't want to waste any precious mats. Are there any creatures I should (or shouldn't) look for/focus on in a normal play through? I'm probably not going to do much endgame and just jump straight over to 13-3.

Once you get the upgraded Mog Throw, go to the Plains of Eternity or whatever and throw mog into a patch of red flowers near the settlement.

Congrats, you just got the best COM monster in the game.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Chichu takes a long time to level up (farming power crystals hurray). If you just want to beat the game, get a Dragoon (COM) from Augusta Tower (300 AF I know they spawn, might come from other times), a Flanitor (MED) (again, Augusta Tower 300 AF), a Bunkerbeast (SEN) (Yaschas Massif 100 AF), and a Leyak (SYN) (Mog Throw while riding Enril). All of those monsters are relatively easy to cap (read: don't need crystals for the most part), and do a fine enough job to take you through the final boss. If you want a RAV, or a SAB (hint: don't use a SAB monster), just pick one with good HP growth.

Also, if you bought "Requiem of the Goddess," beating it with five-stars (relatively easy, and it doesn't depend on your party's stats), gets you Lightning as a COM, and she is a extremely strong COM, even without leveling her at all.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 18, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well these ruins are off to a stupid start. "Hey be careful, you can't rest in here and there's no shortcuts out" as you run slap-bang into one of the teleporters.

Did run into the Last Gremlin a few steps in though. That's Miniflans, Niblets, and Gremlins exterminated so far. All accessories dropped, no hot-pink weapons yet. If Reavers don't have a bright pink sword to loot I will be sad.

I wish all the areas had party characters to help you. Luxerion and Yusnaan are obvious. Give us Noel and Snow. Or just let Choco follow you everywhere. Here's the deal, I won't bring him on the train if you explain why to him, Mr. Train Attendant.

For XIII-2 monsters, I liked Team Chocobo. All the colours. You can't go wrong with Chocobos. :3:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

McDragon posted:

Well these ruins are off to a stupid start. "Hey be careful, you can't rest in here and there's no shortcuts out" as you run slap-bang into one of the teleporters.

Did run into the Last Gremlin a few steps in though. That's Miniflans, Niblets, and Gremlins exterminated so far. All accessories dropped, no hot-pink weapons yet. If Reavers don't have a bright pink sword to loot I will be sad.

I wish all the areas had party characters to help you. Luxerion and Yusnaan are obvious. Give us Noel and Snow. Or just let Choco follow you everywhere. Here's the deal, I won't bring him on the train if you explain why to him, Mr. Train Attendant.

For XIII-2 monsters, I liked Team Chocobo. All the colours. You can't go wrong with Chocobos. :3:

I really liked the Wildlands because you bonded with the Chocobo and then you turn into a team of whoop rear end. I will never forget you Mee Deggi...

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Please tell me you can extinct skeletons. I have been dicking around in the ruins for 3 hours now and I am certain I have got to be close to the extinction number.

Edit: Haha literally the very next fight is the pinky.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I hope they take another look at this Outerworld thing some time - it's so close to a fun idea, but it's so ineffective at every stage I can't figure out what they even want out of it. Spamming Facebook walls I suppose. The "submit 100,000 snapshots" challenge suggests it's all a numbers game too. Thing is, if the in-game stuff didn't all take forever to load I'd probably click on them all and get really into it. I love pushing the AI around and trying to frame scenes with the camera tool. An online gallery would be great, maybe even some control over what shows up in-game (I mean who wants to sit through half a minute of "Downloading" just for my Zaltys score screen with no caption or item?).

Failboattootoot posted:

Please tell me you can extinct skeletons. I have been dicking around in the ruins for 3 hours now and I am certain I have got to be close to the extinction number.

Yes there's a man in Ruffian who asks you to do exactly that, and the remaining number shows up on the quest screen.

Edit: aha nice

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Failboattootoot posted:

Edit: Haha literally the very next fight is the pinky.

The guide lists the exact number for extinction of stuff. There are 60 of those.

There are 65,535 Meonektons. GOOD LUCK!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

The guide lists the exact number for extinction of stuff. There are 60 of those.

There are 65,535 Meonektons. GOOD LUCK!

That's apparently for a reason. So there's pretty much always at least one monster in the bonus dungeon

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Does anyone have a good strategy for getting Earth Eaters down somewhat quickly? My god these things are a pain in the rear end to kill, I'm usually in no danger of death but it takes about 20 minutes.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

edit: Nevermind that. Just finished the last main quest at the beginning of day 6 and I've done most of the sidequests so far. I really like this game, but I also really liked the other 2 so that's no surprise really. The combat system in particular is brilliant and it gives me a lot of faith in FF15.

That said, some parts of the goddess temple gave me xenogears' Tower of Babel flashbacks :argh:

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 19, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

Does anyone have a good strategy for getting Earth Eaters down somewhat quickly? My god these things are a pain in the rear end to kill, I'm usually in no danger of death but it takes about 20 minutes.

It isn't a good strategy, but I use Cloud DLC + the sword you get from the Reaver Last One (Soldier of Peace might be better?) for Slayer, the Aero+ garb with the sword you get from one of the Wildlands Main Quests (Quick Stagger) and Deprotect/Deshell, and the last garb to be immune to magic attacks. Basically spam aero while perfect guarding the physicals, and eating the magical attacks in the garb immune to them. With Fang, I could kill them in about 2 minutes with one Overclock.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Main Quests all done. Now just to faff about until the end of the world. Reavers are extinct and I think Skeletons are next on the list. Or Chocobo Eaters, they need punishing too.

I think the Dead Dunes might be my favourite area. It's very Indiana Jones in places. Would probably be better if you could take Choco there too.

mikeraskol posted:

Put Aerora on every Schema. Keep him staggered as much as possible, use physicals while he's staggered. Block just before he uses So Hungry, and when he uses Chef's Special block that too. Works better if you let go of block after the fire bit but before the ice bit.

Oops, you said Earth Eater not Chocobo Eater. Aerora spam is still the way to go, physical when staggered, block before his poison thing and I guess block the fireball thing too. I'm not looking forward to fighting them without Fang.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Phantasium posted:

I did that one immediately after the Shadow Hunter and did fine. You get a nice chunk of stats from the SH fight, and the preparation for that fight made me ready for it.

Yeah, I ended up beating him with judicious use of Heavy Guard and Thunder/Thundara/Sparkstrike. Staggering him with magic then hitting him in the head with Sparkstrike was brutal and owned pretty hard.

I farmed a bunch of Liquid Glass from those bug dudes because why the gently caress do they only appear from 4-6am? I have an extra ten or so, hopefully you don't need a million later on.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The more monsters you drive to extinction, the more often you'll see them. I assume making them basically impossible to drive to extinction was partially so that there would always be something to fight.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
My copy was finally delivered, and I'm really enjoying this so far. I'd probably be getting my rear end kicked if I wasn't playing on Easy, and I still suck at swiching to my defensive schema in time, but I'm getting better.

Regarding the time limit: again, I'm on Easy, but I've been playing for 4 1/2 hours and just finished day 1 (which is much shorter than all the other days you get, for people who haven't played yet). Chronostatis spam let me explore Luxurion pretty thoroughly, and activated several teleporters in the Dead Dunes.

I guess I haven't been paying close attention, but it seems like playing on Easy restores a bit of health after battle, but not all of it? Or does it just regenerate your health while out of battle? Because I was coming out of fights in the Dead Dunes still at critical health and had to burn a few EP on Curagas instead of Chronostasis.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I thought it regenerated all your health after battle but I only saw the tool-tip once.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

My copy was finally delivered, and I'm really enjoying this so far. I'd probably be getting my rear end kicked if I wasn't playing on Easy, and I still suck at swiching to my defensive schema in time, but I'm getting better.

Regarding the time limit: again, I'm on Easy, but I've been playing for 4 1/2 hours and just finished day 1 (which is much shorter than all the other days you get, for people who haven't played yet). Chronostatis spam let me explore Luxurion pretty thoroughly, and activated several teleporters in the Dead Dunes.

I guess I haven't been paying close attention, but it seems like playing on Easy restores a bit of health after battle, but not all of it? Or does it just regenerate your health while out of battle? Because I was coming out of fights in the Dead Dunes still at critical health and had to burn a few EP on Curagas instead of Chronostasis.

Use Potions to cure. There's not much point in using Curaga unless you're almost dead in a really close and important/long fight and most things will give you the 360 gil you need to replace it, not many will give you the EP to cover it early.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
End game poo poo:

Just died on Bhunivelze's fourth form after using about four X Potions and two ethers. I was barely doing any damage to him and Heartless Angel kept wrecking me because I couldn't figure out how to escape the angels before they processed the attack. By the time I made it to the end, I don't think I made even a small dent in his HP. I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong here- the previous forms were all no issue at all and suddenly I'm on the floor in my own pool of blood.

Changing up my garbs to make a schema built directly on Defense using Sacred Knight. If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what I'll do. I've got way more hours on this game than what you goons are suggesting the median is, yet I'm still having all of this trouble. What the gently caress.
:psyduck:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Grimace posted:

End game poo poo:

Just died on Bhunivelze's fourth form after using about four X Potions and two ethers. I was barely doing any damage to him and Heartless Angel kept wrecking me because I couldn't figure out how to escape the angels before they processed the attack. By the time I made it to the end, I don't think I made even a small dent in his HP. I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong here- the previous forms were all no issue at all and suddenly I'm on the floor in my own pool of blood.

Changing up my garbs to make a schema built directly on Defense using Sacred Knight. If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what I'll do. I've got way more hours on this game than what you goons are suggesting the median is, yet I'm still having all of this trouble. What the gently caress.

Endgame spoilers: Bhunivelze's fourth and final form is a stagger check. Really damaging attacks aren't all that necessary, as once you've staggered him you've essentially won. You'll want a mix of abilities with high stagger power and high stagger time, and switch between the two to make sure any stagger you've built up doesn't fall off, .e.g switch between Light Slash and regular Attack. Jump is useless, as any melee attack you do will put you in the air, which is something to keep in mind with defense; you need to land before you can guard, so get good with reading the tells for each attack. He's immune to all debuffs, so don't bother with those, and the only buffs useful to you are Protect, Shell, and Haste.

Hope this helps! I beat him earlier today, and that ending is... it's an ending, all right!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Grimace posted:

End game poo poo:

The trick to Heartless Angel is to defend as soon as the camera angle changes.

As for the fourth form: You need to stagger it. He has a gigantic defense until he is staggered but once he is staggered he's basically dead.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Syrant posted:

I thought it regenerated all your health after battle but I only saw the tool-tip once.

Yeah, I thought that's how it was supposed to work too, but I definitely got out of several battles with low health. I was using one of the Samurai outfits that sets regen at low health, and the one time I really paid attention to it my health was gradually increasing after the battle. So I was wondering if the Regen status persisted outside of battle and "overrode" the Easy-mode post-battle heal.

Aurain posted:

Use Potions to cure. There's not much point in using Curaga unless you're almost dead in a really close and important/long fight and most things will give you the 360 gil you need to replace it, not many will give you the EP to cover it early.

Well, I was satisfied with my Day 1 progress, so I didn't care if I ran out of EP since it was going to be restored shortly at the Ark. Also, I only had about 1 potion, and those don't even heal me to full.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Endgame spoilers: Bhunivelze's fourth and final form is a stagger check. Really damaging attacks aren't all that necessary, as once you've staggered him you've essentially won. You'll want a mix of abilities with high stagger power and high stagger time, and switch between the two to make sure any stagger you've built up doesn't fall off, .e.g switch between Light Slash and regular Attack. Jump is useless, as any melee attack you do will put you in the air, which is something to keep in mind with defense; you need to land before you can guard, so get good with reading the tells for each attack. He's immune to all debuffs, so don't bother with those, and the only buffs useful to you are Protect, Shell, and Haste.

Hope this helps! I beat him earlier today, and that ending is... it's an ending, all right!

Thanks. This is essentially what I've been figuring out, albeit slowly. My only problem is that when it comes to staggering, I've never cared to use any strategies outside of "hit it with what it's weak against," so for much of this I've been brute forcing it. I do have a stagger schema set up that I may drag with me if I fail this current run.

Speaking of Heartless Angel, I've found that it's easy to dodge as long as I drop every single thing I'm doing, and then attack right when the camera zooms in to finalize the attack.

e: ah, thanks to Imp Atom, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Thanks, guys. Finally beat the game, although it still took me forever.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I beat him earlier today, and that ending is... it's an ending, all right!

I just want to reiterate this. Had a big goofy grin on my face through the whole thing. It's what I expected for the end of the Final Fantasy XIII series, so it's fitting. And as cheesy and ridiculous as it was, it was still 500x better than Mass Effect 3's ending.

As a whole, definitely enjoyed the game. I'll work on doing all of the stuff I passed some other time. Definitely need a short break from the game before I try doing more hunting.

• Locked thread