Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Cogent offered to upgrade their settlement-free peering connections, but the other ISPs tried to get access fees, which Cogent didn't and shouldn't pay.

I did explain, in detail, why access fees are a problem, and why the traffic ratio argument is erroneous. Customers are paying the ISPs to maintain an acceptable level of service to the whole Internet. It'd be different if Netflix was paying Comcast for transit, just like they were/are with Cogent, but as you can see, Comcast doesn't appear anywhere in the list of peers, which suggests that Comcast is not providing transit to Netflix.

Edit: I give up. We've both stated our arguments in multiple ways and are going around in circles. I'm interested in what others have to say on this topic, but I'll post no more in this thread.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Cogent should pay. That's standard practice.

Again, cogent shouldn't go around selling Transit they ain't equipped for in the first place.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
The bottom line is, Netflix agreed to peer directly with Comcast probably because it was cheaper than Cogent. And Comcast is trying to not put more resources into helping others make money without getting a piece of the pie. Ultimately they aren't doing this for the consumers, they are doing this for their shareholders.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Install Windows posted:

So again, what, exactly, is the problem?

Netflix was paying someone for access to Comcast, who incidentally could not provide the service at an acceptable level.

Now Netflix is instead paying Comcast directly, for service that's impossible to not be provided at the acceptable level.

gently caress cogent for selling access their pipes couldn't cash.

Comcast has been purposely delaying upgrades to these interconnects to force Netflix's hand. For someone with as many posts in this thread as you do you should know this.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

revmoo posted:

Comcast has been purposely delaying upgrades to these interconnects to force Netflix's hand. For someone with as many posts in this thread as you do you should know this.

There's a reason that he's one of the most ignore-listed users on the forums. "Install Windows" is fishmech, a man whose posting is so bad his posts were once set to automatically redirect to a thread in the gas chamber.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

revmoo posted:

Comcast has been purposely delaying upgrades to these interconnects to force Netflix's hand.

Prove it for once. Noone ever has.

Ryokurin posted:

The bottom line is, Netflix agreed to peer directly with Comcast probably because it was cheaper than Cogent.

Definitely.

mezoth
Aug 7, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

I did explain, in detail, why access fees are a problem, and why the traffic ratio argument is erroneous. Customers are paying the ISPs to maintain an acceptable level of service to the whole Internet. It'd be different if Netflix was paying Comcast for transit, just like they were/are with Cogent, but as you can see, Comcast doesn't appear anywhere in the list of peers, which suggests that Comcast is not providing transit to Netflix.

Ignoring the question of if it is right or not, Cogent always had the option of terminating peering AND (any) transit connections with Comcast if they felt they were not getting value out of the contract they had signed to settlement free interconnect the networks. The one thing most people forget about peering agreements is that they are formal contracts that have formal terms. If those terms are traffic ratios, a nanog vote means nothing about how the businesses in question are going to treat that traffic at that peering point.

The other point that I will make is around hot-potato / cold-potato routing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-potato_and_cold-potato_routing). Cogent and Level 3 can bring on the traffic from Netflix to their network at literally the same router they drop the traffic off onto Comcast, leaving Comcast to carry the traffic for the longest bit miles and thus actually take the brunt of the expense for transporting that data. This is why settlement free peering contracts do not work for large asymmetric flows, and why the SENDER of the data pays, not the receiver.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Install Windows posted:

Prove it for once. Noone ever has.

You're being obtuse; the fact that they refused to upgrade their interconnects, even AFTER Cogent offer to fund the capital costs is the entire reason we're even here today discussing this. I'm not going to prove something that is all over the news.

You can choose to believe Cogent simply didn't have the capacity on their network and this is all a smokescreen but you're wrong.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There's a reason that he's one of the most ignore-listed users on the forums. "Install Windows" is fishmech, a man whose posting is so bad his posts were once set to automatically redirect to a thread in the gas chamber.

You know at the end of The Usual Suspects when the guy figures everything out and the camera lingers on him with that shocked look on his face as realization hits him? That was me just now.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guess what tag Time Warner just added to its "$14.99 everyday forever and ever with no restrictions" plan?

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/internet/internet-service-plans.html

quote:

$ 14 99 per month for 12 months

Nothing lasts forever. This merger is gonna suck.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Hey guess what tag Time Warner just added to its "$14.99 everyday forever and ever with no restrictions" plan?

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/internet/internet-service-plans.html

Nothing lasts forever. This merger is gonna suck.

That is still sooo much better than Cox in my area:

Cheapest Cox is waaay more than $15 and after only 6 months they increase the price $13.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crotch Fruit posted:

That is still sooo much better than Cox in my area:

Cheapest Cox is waaay more than $15 and after only 6 months they increase the price $13.

Comcast rates look worse since they require you to have TV or phone before you can have broadband:

http://www.comcast.com/internet-service.html

quote:

This price is for customers who currently subscribe to XFINITY Digital TV or XFINITY VoiceŽ service.

Verizon is the same with not offering standalone internet in my area.

Time to rig up a Cantenna and troll for public wi-fi.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EugeneJ posted:

Comcast rates look worse since they require you to have TV or phone before you can have broadband:

http://www.comcast.com/internet-service.html

Verizon is the same with not offering standalone internet in my area.

Time to rig up a Cantenna and troll for public wi-fi.

You can get standalone internet with comcast, but it does cost more. Its usually cheaper to get starter digital and not hook it up.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

You can get standalone internet with comcast, but it does cost more. Its usually cheaper to get starter digital and not hook it up.

We need some sort of regulation that make companies put the non-promo price in big letters right next to the limited promo price. I can't figure out the pricing of various comcast bundles without breaking out excel.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Hey, last week or so my internet has slowed to a crawl, with somewhere around a MB of download speed. Only person who I've gotten answers from says it's some hacktivist mad over this merger thing. Any credence to this? I live in Chicago and this poo poo just started last week.

edit: m and g are different letters

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 12, 2014

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Not as far as I'm aware, I too live in Chicago, use comcast as my ISP, and have zero issues.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/10/7186243/obama-just-did-the-right-thing-for-the-internet-and-made-life-hell

I'm all for treating the internet like a utility.

But I will be surprised if this happens, primarily because I believe congress is made up of gray haired old men, most of whom probably don't know the difference between a web browser and a spreadsheet, and they will probably declare that the internet largest information source in the history of time is just some shiny new fad for the younger generations, and it is not really necessary to protect it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crotch Fruit posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/10/7186243/obama-just-did-the-right-thing-for-the-internet-and-made-life-hell

But I will be surprised if this happens, primarily because I believe congress is made up of gray haired old men, most of whom probably don't know the difference between a web browser and a spreadsheet, and they will probably declare that the internet largest information source in the history of time is just some shiny new fad for the younger generations, and it is not really necessary to protect it.

Note that "treating it like a utility" doesn't really mean anything in day to day business.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am curious what you think the advantage to that is. I know that in my house, I have three options for high speed internet today, and expect at least one more in the next 3 years. For reference, the three are cable, DSL, and 3g/4g (technically I have a choice in carriers there as well). There is plenty of fiber going into the ground all over the place, so I expect some kind of fiber to the premises, or at least fiber to the street scenario soon. Given all of this, why is treating it like a utility, which has little to no competition, useful to me? If you regulate in such a way, what incentive do the fiber carriers have to build to me, when they may not actually be able to compete any longer, due to tariffed rates for their services. Even if you do regulate it that way, how does that prevent carrier hijinx? One of the things I have heard opposition to is "sponsored wireless data". If I access service X, the data used for that won't count against me. I can understand how that benefits the big guys, but how is it any different than a toll free number?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

adorai posted:

I am curious what you think the advantage to that is. I know that in my house, I have three options for high speed internet today, and expect at least one more in the next 3 years. For reference, the three are cable, DSL, and 3g/4g (technically I have a choice in carriers there as well). There is plenty of fiber going into the ground all over the place, so I expect some kind of fiber to the premises, or at least fiber to the street scenario soon. Given all of this, why is treating it like a utility, which has little to no competition, useful to me? If you regulate in such a way, what incentive do the fiber carriers have to build to me, when they may not actually be able to compete any longer, due to tariffed rates for their services. Even if you do regulate it that way, how does that prevent carrier hijinx? One of the things I have heard opposition to is "sponsored wireless data". If I access service X, the data used for that won't count against me. I can understand how that benefits the big guys, but how is it any different than a toll free number?

In many states, treating it like a utility opens the possibility of forcing them to lease their infrastructure to their competitors to deliver their service to your home. So any ISP can use Comcast's cable or Verizon's fiber optic network to serve you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Treating it like a utility has some vague connection to making it slightly easier to enforce certain regulations. It's a thing some people have really latched on but it's not some sort of magic bullet for anything.

psydude posted:

Treating it like a utility requires them to allow their competitors to use their infrastructure to deliver their service to your home. So any ISP can use Comcast's cable to serve you.

This isn't really true. It's something that could potentially happen but in no way guarenteed. Also I'll remind you that we have that for DSL and landlines and nearly everyone just uses the actual owner of said DSL and landline instead of the "competitors" because they get to dictate maintenance terms and can easily control what'll actually go through.

Most people don't really want to have "your existing cable company, and 3 other cable companies that charge +/- 0.01% of the price for the same service".

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 12, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

adorai posted:

I know that in my house, I have three options for high speed internet today, and expect at least one more in the next 3 years. For reference, the three are cable, DSL, and 3g/4g (technically I have a choice in carriers there as well). There is plenty of fiber going into the ground all over the place, so I expect some kind of fiber to the premises, or at least fiber to the street scenario soon.

Actually, your choices are slow (DSL), medium (cable) and ungodly regulated and limited but sometimes "fast" 3g/4g, with the possibility of fiber unless your cable provider manages to convince your local government that the fiber provider is not playing nice. I am hoping that treating internet like a utility would prevent fast lanes, at least I sure like that better than the other plan of allowing regulated fast lanes.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It loving needs to be nationalized. That will never happen in this hosed up country, so we're looking at... what degree of hosed we want to be.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"Fast lanes" aren't preventable. There's no sensible way to void all the existing in-network CDNs and private routing arragements. Also nobody's really been complainign about them for the past 15 plus years they've existed.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Actually, your choices are slow (DSL), medium (cable) and ungodly regulated and limited but sometimes "fast" 3g/4g

In what world are you that cable is "medium" and 4g is "fast"? Current national 4g networks top out around 75 megabits down in ideal conditions, 100 or higher megabit cable connections are available all over the place, and in places where they aren't, the LTE services available tend to be much slower than them as well.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Actually, your choices are slow (DSL), medium (cable) and ungodly regulated and limited but sometimes "fast" 3g/4g, with the possibility of fiber unless your cable provider manages to convince your local government that the fiber provider is not playing nice. I am hoping that treating internet like a utility would prevent fast lanes, at least I sure like that better than the other plan of allowing regulated fast lanes.
I can get 25mbps DSL to my house right now, and there is nothing stopping my LEC from bumping that up to 75mbps if they chose to (25mbps with two pair, I have 6 pair coming into my home). My local cable service CURRENTLY offers 100+mbps at what I would consider to be a reasonable price (under $100/mo). 4g service is extremely fast, with serious bandwidth limits. I have no concerns about my local fiber initiatives being hijacked by Comcast. There are more than one in my town, the most prominent of which is an LLC with strong ties to the local city government.

Not every city is quite as flush with competition as mine is, but that's not a problem for the FCC to solve, it's a problem for LOCAL government and LOCAL business to solve. If you have crony corruption in your town, the answer is to vote them out, not to invite higher level cronies to the party.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

"Fast lanes" aren't preventable. There's no sensible way to void all the existing in-network CDNs and private routing arragements. Also nobody's really been complainign about them for the past 15 plus years they've existed.

In what world are you that cable is "medium" and 4g is "fast"? Current national 4g networks top out around 75 megabits down in ideal conditions, 100 or higher megabit cable connections are available all over the place, and in places where they aren't, the LTE services available tend to be much slower than them as well.

Of course 4G is nowhere near as fast as DSL or even cable. I find that unless the moon is in proper alignment, my 4g connection is usually incredibly slow, but there are some rare moments when my 4g connection actually works at a decent speed fast enough for Netflix, that is why I said but sometimes "fast", I will admit that could appear misleading.

adorai posted:

I can get 25mbps DSL to my house right now, and there is nothing stopping my LEC from bumping that up to 75mbps if they chose to (25mbps with two pair, I have 6 pair coming into my home). My local cable service CURRENTLY offers 100+mbps at what I would consider to be a reasonable price (under $100/mo). 4g service is extremely fast, with serious bandwidth limits. I have no concerns about my local fiber initiatives being hijacked by Comcast. There are more than one in my town, the most prominent of which is an LLC with strong ties to the local city government.

Not every city is quite as flush with competition as mine is, but that's not a problem for the FCC to solve, it's a problem for LOCAL government and LOCAL business to solve. If you have crony corruption in your town, the answer is to vote them out, not to invite higher level cronies to the party.

Of course, not every city is as well off as yours, hell most cities have pretty lovely choices for internet. Naturally, it's a problem with the local government, and I can do my best to vote but it will not make a difference. I can dream all I want about an end to corruption but if a politician in Kansas doesn't actively bash gays and praise Jesus their career will be over no matter what their other policies are.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 12, 2014

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Naturally, it's a problem with the local government, and I can do my best to vote but it will not make a difference.
I realize this is going to a D&D tangent, but I find it humorous that your solution to lovely government is more government.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah it is ironic. . . but if the kids cant play nice, might as well give them rules.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Yeah it is ironic. . . but if the kids cant play nice, might as well give them rules.

Yeah but the rules will ultimately be written by lobbyists in such a way as to protect the incumbent. Let the market sort it out, and eliminate the barriers to that. Because otherwise the head of the FCC ends up working for Comcast after giving them a sweetheart deal.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

adorai posted:

Yeah but the rules will ultimately be written by lobbyists in such a way as to protect the incumbent. Let the market sort it out, and eliminate the barriers to that. Because otherwise the head of the FCC ends up working for Comcast after giving them a sweetheart deal.

The barriers of entry are basically insurmountable unless you can literally burn milions billions of dollars like google is doing on fiber.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Forcing companies to open up their ducts / poles / network to competitors who have absolutely no capital costs is a great way of ensuring nobody invests in infrastructure.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Thanks Ants posted:

Forcing companies to open up their ducts / poles / network to competitors who have absolutely no capital costs is a great way of ensuring nobody invests in infrastructure.

Not like they put all that much effort into it as it is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Diviance posted:

Not like they put all that much effort into it as it is.

The US actually has a greater >10Mbit penetration rate than Europe.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

computer parts posted:

The US actually has a greater >10Mbit penetration rate than Europe.

Europe is a pretty broad generalization. Are we talking about Spain, where most people still haven't heard of the internet? Or Sweden, where 100mbps is as cheap as DSL?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The US has also dumped hundred of billions in subsidies on cable companies for infrastructure. *Everyone* in the US was supposed to have the kind of ~50 Mbps service that is only now becoming mainstream in 2005, for $40 a month. Direct-to-home fiber equal upstream/downstream rates. And it's not that the money wasn't spent, either. The telcos overcommitted and underperformed even what they could've delivered.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 13, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

psydude posted:

Europe is a pretty broad generalization. Are we talking about Spain, where most people still haven't heard of the internet? Or Sweden, where 100mbps is as cheap as DSL?

More than Sweden too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

But I was told everyone in Europe had $10/m gigabit Ethernet

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
That report not really broadband penetration rate. "Average speed person from country X gets from Akamai" is not the same thing as "Percentage of country X population has access to broadband faster than Y". There's a bit of correlation, but hardly an actual accurate study of broadband speed availability.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Edit: You edited, but yes that is pretty much the same thing. I also slow post :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GokieKS posted:

That report not really broadband penetration rate. "Average speed person from country X gets from Akamai" is not the same thing as "Percentage of country X population has access to broadband faster than Y". There's a bit of correlation, but hardly an actual accurate study of broadband speed availability.

At the very least it's telling you that most people don't actually care about faster internet.

• Locked thread