Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

What is BROFORCE?
A 2d action platformer with offline and online multiplayer where you play as action heroes fighting terrorists and liberating the areas with guns and explosions!

How can I buy it?
It is currently in Beta, and you can buy it from the website for $15.
Buying it gets you access to the Beta that you can download and play as well as a Steam key for when it is out on steam.

When is it available on Steam?
It will be on Steam Early Access this March.

I hate Early Access
Well then you'll have to wait.
Currently the game has a fair bit of content: Over 15 different 'Bros' you can unlock and then play as, a fair selection of levels in the campaign, Level Editor, Online and Offline MP (Including Co-Op and Deathmatch).

Most recent update video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1DTgY1hqKw

Other stuff:
You can play the Alpha build for free but it hasn't had updates since Last year.

Every time you break a cage and rescue a hostage you change character, the more hostages you rescue the more characters you unlock, changing character also resets your ammo count for special attacks.

All Bros (apart from Indiana Brones who has an infinite use whip) have a special attack that ranges from grenades to air strikes to making enemies panic and fight each other, you can get more ammo for these special by breaking open crates with :911: on them or by changing character from respawning or hostage rescuing.

High five your buddy in multiplayer by meleeing at each other to go into bullet time.

Current Bros (Thanks LvK)

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Every video update looks the same, but with new bros.
Where is Brochete from?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Every video update looks the same, but with new bros.
Where is Brochete from?
It's from the joke trailer that later became a full-fledged movie, Machete. It's pretty much Danny Trejo playing the same role he always does, but with Machete and cameos from B-list actors.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
There's a Rambro right? There has to be. Forwarded this on to a friend of mine who's really into stuff like this, we might both order it for some BROFORCE.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

TehGherkin posted:

There's a Rambro right? There has to be. Forwarded this on to a friend of mine who's really into stuff like this, we might both order it for some BROFORCE.

Yep, he is the first Bro they added.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

This game is All-American. :911: God drat.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I am very particular to the Tactical Swine.

I might have to give this a try.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

gently caress. Yes.

I actually preordered this game in about July or August of last year and each update has just been getting me more and more excited. I haven't tried online multiplayer yet but local bro-op is a blast.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Ulvirich posted:

This game is All-American. :911: God drat.

And yet it's made by South Africans!

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
This game is dope, can't wait for it to be on Steam and play co-op with buddies tho. Already pre-ordered it.

BroGyver gets p. annoying to play and Terminatorbro is loving baller.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
I feel like it's doing a disservice to not mention that Devolver Digital made this game. After Hotline Miami and helping with the Shadow Warriors remake they're making games left and right.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Babyface Mingo posted:

BroGyver gets p. annoying to play

You serious?

He is by far the best, his TNT sticks to enemies and wall and his special is gloriously stupid.

Next-Jin Engine posted:

I feel like it's doing a disservice to not mention that Devolver Digital made this game. After Hotline Miami and helping with the Shadow Warriors remake they're making games left and right.

They didn't, Free Lives (the devs) recently partnered up with Devolver Digital as a publisher, so all the work is from Free Lives.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Geokinesis posted:

You serious?

He is by far the best, his TNT sticks to enemies and wall and his special is gloriously stupid.

Not saying he's bad, I just don't really like his play style of 'throw a tnt and run'. I'd much rather play any other of the bros over him v:v:v

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I guess here's a quick and dirty look at the cast so far.
(* indicates that I haven't spent much time with them and may be wrong)

Ash Brolliams (Ash Williams, Evil Dead trilogy)
Weapon: Double barrel shotgun - short range, low speed, disgustingly high power. Fires twice consecutively.
Special: Chainsaw - Runs fast, chops up absolutely everything in his way. 1 charge.
Notes: As far as I can tell, he's bulletproof during the chainsaw spree, but will die if he plows into an explosive.

B.A. Broracus (B.A. Baracus, The A-Team)
Weapon: Flamethrower - Very short range, but constant high damage output. Very useful for carving holes in the ground.
Special: Cluster bomb - Explosion that slowly spreads outwards. 3 charges.

Boondock Bros (Murphy and Connor MacManus, The Boondock Saints)
Weapon: Dual pistols - Rapid firing, weak, moderate spread.
Special: Summon backup (more on this in a sec). 1 charge.
Notes: There are two of these guys. One will always try to follow the other, and will attack voluntarily if endangered.
If one Boondock Bro dies, the other one will turn red and temporarily become faster, more powerful, and fire faster.
Performing the special attack with one Boondock Bro down will revive the second one. Doing it with both alive will summon Il Duce (Il Broce?), who increases firepower even further.

Brade (Blade, Blade)
Weapon: Sword - Short range, extremely fast, sucks at breaking blocks.
Special: Flying sword dash - Soars through air, cutting through anything it touches. 3 charges.
Notes: Brade is particularly fast and has a very high jump to compensate for his lack of range.

Bro Dredd (Judge Dredd, Dredd [or, fine, Judge Dredd, or just the comics, whatever])
Weapon: Lawgiver - Moderate rate of fire, shots bounce.
Special: Guided missile - Leaves Dredd exposed, lets player remotely control a high explosive missile. 3 charges.

Bro Hard (John McClane, Die Hard)
Weapon: Dual SMGs - Super fast rate of fire, low power. Still carves through terrain like nobody's business.
Special: Flashbang - Stuns and confuses enemies in a large area. 3 charges.

Bro in Black (Agent J, Men in Black)
Weapon: Noisy Cricket - Fast, huge explosion, huge kickback. Will send player flying, but not very easy to control.
Special: Neuralyzer - Large beam stuns any enemy in its path. 3 charges.

Brobocop (Robocop, Robocop)
Weapon: Auto-9 pistol - Shots can be charged up to release a barrage of powerful bullets at once.
Special: Targeting system - Leaves Brobocop exposed, but displays a timed aiming guide onscreen, that can be used to 'mark' opponents. When time is up, super-powerful bullets curve and cut through almost anything to reach and hit the targets. 3 charges.

Brochete (Machete, Machete films)
Weapon: Throwing machetes - Low range, moderate-high power, one-two projectile.
Special: Machete storm - Freezes in place, fires a barrage of high-power knives in an outward cone formation. This attack's aim can be adjusted once started. If started in midair, Brochete slowly floats downwards. 3 charges.
note: Brochete seems to have a special property on his basic projectiles, where an enemy will get skewered and fly backwards with the knife. Not entirely sure what exactly this entails, yet, but I think it damages any enemy that it hits.

Brodell Walker (Cordell Walker, Walker, Texas Ranger)
Weapon: Pump-action shotgun - Slow, wide spread, good power.
Special: Air strike beacon - Throws grenade, five missiles (guided by big red lasers) aim at beacon from upper left corner at 45 degree angle. These hit whatever's in their way, so they likely won't hit targets in an underground cave. 3 charges.

Brominator (Terminator model T-800, Terminator movies)
Weapon: Minigun - Slow startup, high rate of fire, high power. Acts as a backwards propulsion device from recoil alone.
Special: Shed exoskeleton - Go full robot, turn invincible, significantly reduce knockback from firing minigun. 1 charge.
Notes: Extremely slow and heavy, especially in endoskeletonal mode. Probably don't want to try risky jumps with this guy. Also, I wasn't kidding about the backwards propulsion device - he can literally fly across the level if used right.

Brommando (Col. John Matrix, Commando)
Weapon: FLASH rocket launcher - Slow, powerful rocket launcher. Brommando can not directly kill himself with the blast from this.
Special: Rocket salvo - Fires 5 rockets in rapid succession, that have longer range and do extreme damage. 3 charges.

Bronan the Barbarian (Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Barbarian [Arnie version, natch])
Weapon: Broadsword - Does powerful slash projectile with a large vertical hitbox, can charge to increase range (and power?) of slashes.
Special: Overhead slam - Releases hilarious Arnie yell, leaps into air, tears poo poo up with a huge forward-traveling shockwave. 3 charges.

Col. James Brodock (Missing in Action trilogy, specifically Braddock: Missing in Action 3
Weapon: Rotary Grenade Launcher - Slow, medium range, launches large projectiles that bounce off of walls and cause damage (and stun) to enemies before exploding. Kind of like a portable coconut gun, but with a timed bang.
Special: "Fireworks" grenade. Shoots one large grenade at medium range. Doesn't seem to bounce as much as primary attack. Sits and then explodes, sending a cluster (how many?) of smaller grenades into the air, which come back down and explode on their own timer. 3 charges.

Broniversal Soldier (Pvt. Luc Deveraux/GR44, Universal Soldier series)
Weapon: Single shot rifle. Slow rate of fire, medium range. Shoots huge, slow projectiles. Doesn't seem to be too powerful?
Special: Revival charge. Short range pulse that revives fallen teammates and foes to fight alongside you, mirroring your inputs as best they can. 5 charges.

*Cherry Broling (Cherry Darling, Planet Terror)
Weapon: Prosthetic leg assault rifle - Long range, high power, high speed, can only aim down. "Pushes" Cherry a bit, letting her hover. Will aim slightly in the opposite direction of the direction pushed while in midair (meaning that hovering right will cause her to shoot left.)
Special: Underslung grenade launcher - Long range, moderately high explosive. Can similarly only aim down. I think it gives her an extra push in midair? 5 charges.

Ellen Ripbro (Ellen Ripley, Alien duology)
Weapon: M41A Pulse Rifle - Medium repeating fire, long range, stuns enemies and 'charges' them. Shooting them enough causes an explosion (not a gib, a full-on blast).
Special: M240 Flamethrower - Releases a tall burst of fire that slowly moves forward. Hella damaging to enemies. 3 charges.

Indiana Brones (Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones trilogy)
Weapon: Whip - Short-medium range, comes out fast, very weak damage. Causes enemies to run when cracked. Can be used as a grappling hook, a la Worms.
Special: Revolver - Slow rate of fire, long range, hell of fast. Small explosion when it hits a target, seems to go through targets it doesn't kill. Still has the flare gun sprite. 5 charges.

MacBrover (Angus MacGyver, MacGyver)
Weapon: Sticky bomb - Low-range arced lob, if used up-close it will stick to walls and enemies. Explodes shortly after landing.
Special: Decoy - Causes enemies nearby to become curious and gather around it. Creates large explosion on detonation (pressing special button again). 3 charges.
Notes: Enemies will try to line up near the same location as the decoy, even if they are above or below it. Planting a bomb directly on an enemy will usually cause them to flip out and run away.

Nebro (Neo, The Matrix trilogy)
Weapon: Punch - No range, quick combos.
Special: Bullet time - Creates a shield around Nebro, that slows down bullets and returns them to sender. Turns red as it decays. 3 charges.
Special 2: Matrix jump - Performed by pressing a direction and melee while not in melee range. Nebro will fly through the air until reaching an obstacle, at which point he'll hit with great impact (usually destroying a layer or two of the ground and anything on it). The Matrix jump can be combo'd together in midair, but the same direction can't be used twice in a row (so, for instance, "left, up" will work, "up, up" will not).

Rambro (John Rambo, Rambo series)
Weapon: M60 machine gun - Rapid fire, large spread. Your basic machine gun.
Special: Grenade - No frills thrown explosive. Rambro just gets more than anyone else. 5 charges.

Snake Broskin (Snake Plissken, Escape from New York/Escape from LA [totally wearing the LA attire, though])
Weapon: Coreburner rifle - Lower rate of fire, but long range and high power with no spread whatsoever.
Special: Molotov cocktail - Explodes on impact with anything, covering the nearby area completely in fire. 3 charges.

Timebro (Agent Max Walker, Timecop)
Weapon: Burst rifle - Medium-Long range, fires a short burst of high-speed rounds, with a slight delay between bursts.
Special: Time Slow - Slows down time for everyone and everything but the player. 2 charges.

EXPENDABROS-ONLY CHARACTERS:
Based on the Expendables 3 cast. We want Jet Li!

Broney Ross (Barney Ross)
Weapon: Colts akimbo - Medium-short range, high speed and power.
Special: Sticky bombs - Throws three at once. Short range, short arc, stick to any object/surface before exploding on timed fuses. 3 charges.

Bro Christmas (Lee Christmas)
Weapon: Throwing knives. Fires off five at once in very rapid succession, at (very) slightly varied heights and short range.
Special: Knife flurry. Fires off a poo poo ton of knives at a low arc, landing in a wide area in front of Christmas. Lasts a second or two, locks Christmas in place, but can be switched from side to side. 3 charges.

Trent Broser (Trench Mauser)
Weapon: Automatic shotgun (slug-loaded) - Medium firing speed, high power, high projectile speed, medium range.
Special: Air strike - Long-range grenade, upon landing it calls down five missiles from the upper left corner of the stage. The same notes as Brodell Walker apply. 3 charges.
note: I think Broser's airstrike shots are spaced apart wider than Walker's.

Bronar Jenson (Gunnar Jensen)
Weapon: Rotary grenade launcher. Slow, medium range and arc. Sticks to anything. Explodes with a long fuse.
Special: R/C bomb. Forfeits control of Bronar momentarily to take control of a remote control car. The car can hop and climb ledges. Firing again causes a large explosion. The car itself causes enemies to panic. 3 charges.

Bro Caesar (Hale Caesar)
Weapon: Minigun. Long range, high power, high speed, slow startup.
Special: Shockwave slam. Leaps into the air, propelling self forward with minigun. Lands down with a tall, medium-wave shockwave that travels across the ground level that Caesar lands on (and destroys said ground.) During flight, Caesar shoots at a 45 degree angle down and back from himself. 3 charges.
Note: Caesar is lighter than the Brominator and, as such, can still fly across the level with his gun.

Broctor Death (Doctor Death)
Weapon: Sword. Very short range, quick attacks. Holding a direction alters the attack (forward-stepping swipes for left and right, jumping uppercut for up, jumping ground stab for down. The left and right ones can combo into each other.)
Special: Dashing thrust. Fast dash, carves through environment (with a pretty tall hitbox - he carves out like three blocks above him.) Pushes enemies and physics objects together, and destroys them at the end. I think it might make him invincible during the dash itself? I forgot to check. 3 charges.

Toll Broad (Toll Road)
Weapon: Shotgun with Dragon's Breath rounds. Medium-slow firing, very short range. Destroys blocks easily (hits multiple times?), lights enemies and objects on fire.
Special: Fireburst grenade. Large grenade with 'heavy' arc, bursts into several smaller projectiles that slowly arc towards the ground and ignite anything in their path. 3 charges.

LvK fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 6, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

LvK posted:

Words!

Nice, although Brodell Walker's special summons 5 missiles rather than 3!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Geokinesis posted:

Nice, although Brodell Walker's special summons 5 missiles rather than 3!

Noted. Fixed a few other things, too.

I'm still not entirely sure how the Boondock Bros work. Sometimes it seems like the CPU-controlled bro will only ever stab on his own, and one time I think the dead bro regenerated without me activating the special? That last part might just be a glitch, since I literally just got a glitch where the dead bro was dropping disappearing corpses of himself every time he left the ground.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

You serious?
They didn't, Free Lives (the devs) recently partnered up with Devolver Digital as a publisher, so all the work is from Free Lives.

Thanks for clearing that up. I looked at Devolver Digital's page and all it had was BroForce, and it wasn't too far from the kind of game they'd normally do.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Devolver didn't make Hotline Miami either, they just published it. The game was made by a two-man team, one doing programming the other doing art. Devolver just sees games that they think look cool and offer to publish them for the developers. They definitely have good taste, but they don't actually make the games.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Played the year old demo and it was fun as hell. The controls are great, and the game feels a LOT like JumpMan in a way.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Bought it and I'm having a blast. You can go in just just blow everything away, but you can also try to be stealthy, which is a lot of fun. The footsteps noise cracks me up for some reason.

The only thing missing for me is more comprehensive controller support. I'm on a mac and can't find a way to use my ps3 controller. Anyone know of a joy2key-like thing for osx?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've only seen a 360 controller driver on OSX. It works incredibly well. Might be a solution if nothing else shows up.

Also, what does the current build have over the older demo other than just more characters? I'm swaying back and forth on wanting to jump in on this. The controls are just so solid.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Philthy posted:

Also, what does the current build have over the older demo other than just more characters? I'm swaying back and forth on wanting to jump in on this. The controls are just so solid.

The Beta has as you said more characters, more levels, more bosses (one is dolph lundgren!), grenades can kill enemies before exploding by clonking them on the head, dogs that when they eat corpse become mega dogs, armour suited mooks, jungle locals you can give guns too, exploding gas pipes, killer coconuts etc etc.

Also:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I feel like Bro Dredd should be renamed Judge Brett, but that's just me.

This game is action packed and ridiculously fun. Well worth the $15.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

The Beta has as you said more characters, more levels, more bosses (one is dolph lundgren!), grenades can kill enemies before exploding by clonking them on the head, dogs that when they eat corpse become mega dogs, armour suited mooks, jungle locals you can give guns too, exploding gas pipes, killer coconuts etc etc.

Also:

A friend of mine and I just played through the pre-order beta and didn't see any of this :confused:

We killed a helicopter and then the game ended.

e: I started playing through a single player campaign, and it turns out the game keeps going v:v:v

Catts fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 17, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Catts posted:

A friend of mine and I just played through the pre-order beta and didn't see any of this :confused:

We killed a helicopter and then the game ended.

e: I started playing through a single player campaign, and it turns out the game keeps going v:v:v

It does in co-op too. I'm guessing you guys encountered a bug.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
As an Alien/Aliens/Alien vs Predator fan I am quite saddened that there is no Michael Broen of the United States Brolonial Marine Corps yet.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

InfiniteJesters posted:

As an Alien/Aliens/Alien vs Predator fan I am quite saddened that there is no Michael Broen of the United States Brolonial Marine Corps yet.

Well, there might still be a chance. The first Broforce newsletter had concept art of an Aliens/Contra inspired level so here's hoping that it's still coming.

Also, it's so terrible that it took so long for me to realise that was the guy that played Hicks.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Guys my erection for this game won't go away, I bet purchasing it next month on steam will not help.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Question about Co-Op.

I would assume there is online co-op, but can you do single computer local co op too? We're looking to play this at a LAN we have coming up and we're hoping to connect some 360 controllers and play it on the big screen.

Secondly, Xbox 360 Gamepad support? I assume it has gamepad support, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to double check.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Question about Co-Op.

I would assume there is online co-op, but can you do single computer local co op too? We're looking to play this at a LAN we have coming up and we're hoping to connect some 360 controllers and play it on the big screen.

Secondly, Xbox 360 Gamepad support? I assume it has gamepad support, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to double check.

Yep, you can do up to four people with 360 controllers on a single computer.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
Sometimes I have trouble with this game but then I think maybe the best way to play it is like Hotline Miami where the true playstyle to properly sync with the atmosphere is to just to all in without thinking shooting your guns and swinging your swords/fists like a madman and blowing poo poo up always.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

New Update! New Trailer! Now on Steam Early Access!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/274190/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAlQx-kOjOE

For those too lazy to watch the video Ripbro is the latest character and Aliens enemies coming soon.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Shouldn't that be Ripsis? :v:

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
Are you saying women can't be bros too? Sexist.

triad
Jan 6, 2007

YOU KNEADED SOMEONE TO BLAME, SO YOU CRUST IT ON ME
Loved the demo, just bought it early access. We played some 4 player at lunch, it still owns.

It also looks like they added some kind of crazy backflip when you're jumping out and up at an overhang. It kind of catapults you upwards, it's pretty rad. I'm still not exactly sure how to trigger it, need to mess around with that more.

edit: oh drat there's online coop AND competitive stuff now? this game

triad fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 8, 2014

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I played the demo of this with my siblings on local co-op and had a blast.

As soon as I saw Multiplayer under the Steam page for this game, I bought three copies for them so we could all play together. :black101:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
haven't had too much time to play with the new Steam build, but some things of note:

-It seems that Bro in Black's gun has significantly less recoil
-The knife slashes now drag you forward (with all characters?) and it gets kind of annoying occasionally
-The Dolph Lundgren boss' AI is WAY more timid now, to the point of being annoying and hard. My suggestion is to just get in close and knife him so he keeps doing his giant bowser superjump until he punches a hole through the bottom of the screen.

also, haven't had MUCH chance to play with the new character, but:
Ellen Ripbro (Ellen Ripley, Alien duology)
Weapon: M41A Pulse Rifle - Medium repeating fire, long range, stuns enemies.
Special: M240 Flamethrower - Releases a tall burst of fire that slowly moves forward. Hella damaging to enemies. 3 charges.

information may or may not be accurate, I will play around more later

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Aswell as being able to throw grenades back with the knife attack, you can also throw coconuts!

If you jump at the tree and knife you can throw them right off the tree too.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Anyone got a list or compilation of special bro abilities? Like Neo gets a small dash mid-air, Robocop can charge up his pistol, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Babyface Mingo posted:

Anyone got a list or compilation of special bro abilities? Like Neo gets a small dash mid-air, Robocop can charge up his pistol, etc.

LvK did a post herethat has that stuff.

LvK posted:

-The Dolph Lundgren boss' AI is WAY more timid now, to the point of being annoying and hard. My suggestion is to just get in close and knife him so he keeps doing his giant bowser superjump until he punches a hole through the bottom of the screen.

You can cheese him as he chooses his attacks based upon horizontal distance, get him under cover so he can't jump then just stand above him and he'll prioritise using his grenades. With a little moving around above him to change where he aims them he'll just dig himself to the bottom of the level and die.

• Locked thread