Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!
:siren::siren: Steel Diver 4.0 update out makes this game great and fun and everyone should be playing.:siren::siren:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS-download-software/Steel-Diver-Sub-Wars-851885.html

This game was recently met with a pretty poor reception during yesterdays Nintendo Direct. But actually it's pretty awesome.

It's free on the 3DS right now, you can upgrade to premium and unlock more stuff for :10bux: but it's a pretty nice little submarine multi-player fps.

What is this game?
This is a very slow-paced fps for the 3DS handheld gaming system. You can play online multiplayer in with 7 other submarines, there are both ranked and unranked ladders. Basically you fire extremely slow-moving torpedoes at your enemies whilst trying to move your gigantic submarine in an unpredictable way so that their extremely slow-moving torpedoes don't hit you.

The controls are pretty simple, and the whole game doesn't really have much depth to it. But it can be really fun to outwit another player in the methodically slow fire-fights that usually erupt in the multiplayer.

Morse Code is your only method of communication with other players. You can actually see the flashing lights on top of ally subs when they are typing out their messages and it's really neat. You can also just go hang out in a Morse Code chatroom with random Japanese children if you like.

Sonar is the main way you'll find your allies and enemies alike. Press Y to send out a ping to light up submarines as white dots on the map. If you stay perfectly still however: you won't appear on anyone's map, you'll be JUST LIKE THE RED OCTOBER.

Masker. I don't think submarines work like this in real life but you can choose to use some of your limited air supply to turn your boat invisible for a few seconds. This throws any homing torpedoes off your scent and also allows you to throw your engines in reverse and confuse your opponent. Very useful. Unfortunately, however, this means you'll have to surface at some point. You move more slowly on the surface and become a prime target for a volley of disgustingly colourful torpedoes.

Crew Members can be rescued from the surface by you or your team-mates and are permanently added to your roster. Each crew member has a different effect on the stats of your submarine and they usually have a little paragraph of advice for you. You can only hold a couple of crew in the free subs but they can make a big difference. (Especially if you get the guy that increases your sonar range.)

Unfortunately there's really no way to team up with your friends or join a clan or anything like that right now. And I'm reasonably sure nothing like that will ever be patched in. The playerbase will shrivel up within a matter of days so you should play this game right now if you want to see what it's like before you lose your chance.

Ganty fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

This game is currently my "Can't believe it's not poo poo" game of the year so far.

Went into it after watching the Direct and thinking it was some stupid poo poo I didn't want, came out having a good deal more fun than I expected. With how the crew works and all of the colour and pattern options for your sub, game has a decent amount of customization.

Also is F2P done rather well in my opinion. All that's locked away in the Premium version is the other 11 unlockable subs, the ability to buy the special RL version subs, the rest of the single player campaign, and the crew that is locked away inside it.

Multiplayer is completely free and a good deal more fun than I expected, where the only downside is having someone on your team who doesn't realize that you are on theirs who then trails you the rest of the match trying to kill you.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Crawfish posted:

Also is F2P done rather well in my opinion. All that's locked away in the Premium version is the other 11 unlockable subs, the ability to buy the special RL version subs, the rest of the single player campaign, and the crew that is locked away inside it.

How do you know which crew are only encountered in the singleplayer? I saw a pink dot on one of the first missions I did but I forgot to pick him up. He wasn't there the next time so maybe I've missed it forever. I never use the sonar in multiplayer matches either so I have to rely on my teammates to rescue the floaters.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

Ganty posted:

How do you know which crew are only encountered in the singleplayer? I saw a pink dot on one of the first missions I did but I forgot to pick him up. He wasn't there the next time so maybe I've missed it forever. I never use the sonar in multiplayer matches either so I have to rely on my teammates to rescue the floaters.

On the crew menu you can hover over a locked person and it'll tell you where to find them.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I don't think you can miss them forever, since there's only like 7 guys you can get from the first two missions and I missed a bunch of Purple spots before I knew what they were, and am only missing Dude #1 at the moment.

The easiest way to get all 7 is to just keep playing Mission 2 Lv 3, as I played that for an hour last night and got a dude almost every time I did it.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Crawfish posted:

I don't think you can miss them forever, since there's only like 7 guys you can get from the first two missions and I missed a bunch of Purple spots before I knew what they were, and am only missing Dude #1 at the moment.

The easiest way to get all 7 is to just keep playing Mission 2 Lv 3, as I played that for an hour last night and got a dude almost every time I did it.

Oh man. I just found a guy that lets me see my teammates as white spots on the map. That's an incredibly powerful crewmember. Now I literally never use the sonar.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

But....don't you need to see your opponents?

I guess the Blue/Red name over their sub works. Yeah the crew you can find in online multi are rather OP in comparison.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Crawfish posted:

But....don't you need to see your opponents?

I guess the Blue/Red name over their sub works. Yeah the crew you can find in online multi are rather OP in comparison.

Yeah but using the sonar only serves to reveal yourself to the whole map. Being able to know where my teammates are means I can guess more easily where my opponents are by looking at the green squares on the map and then using the periscope.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Oh nice. As long as someone on your team grabs a crew on online battles, everyone in the team gets him.

I raced a bunch of dudes for some of them, and eventually one dude beat me to it, so it's a relief to find this out.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
My boat is a clownfish now.

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
This game is just so charming. I really love it when Nintendo does those 'hey its released right at the end of Nintendo Direct'. The only lovely part about it is the lack of online friend play. It'd be great if that ever came in, but if it doesn't I'm still pretty happy with it. Maybe if it does well they'll do more?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They did comment they were entering the F2P market way back at June with this game (well, a game that would come out before March), so I'm guessing this one's the test for the market.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 15, 2014

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Played the first two single player missions and this is pretty neat for a free game. I like how unique it is, looking forward to trying out the multiplayer.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Opinionated posted:

Played the first two single player missions and this is pretty neat for a free game. I like how unique it is, looking forward to trying out the multiplayer.
Multiplayer is great. Generally I do horribly in it, but I had two really tense matches last night that nearly reached the 10 minute cap. Both times the rest of my team was downed in like 3 minutes, and it left me with a 1x3 situation twice. Getting ridiculously stealthy and hiding on the bottom of the arena not moving so I didn't show up on Sonar got me victory both times.

It helps that occasionally, if the other team hasn't found you for long enough, they start taking out themselves for some reason.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
I just found out that winstreaks all have to be in the same session. What a bummer! My best is 5 before getting an error and being kicked back to the menu screen. At least I have a snazzy number "05" on my sub now.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Hah! I have a "06" imprinted on the side of my sub just today.

Also, hello new favorite thread.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I picked up the premium in this as well, I never really looked at the stats of the different subs before but there could be some fun strategies with surface/underward speed, slow moving high-HP subs, etc. All the DLC subs are historic ones, like the german uboat, USA Gato-class, a French, British, Japanese ones - I expected more fantastical ones, I wonder if they'll add more later.

I cant remember if matches time out, but it could be funny to zip along on the surface and frustrate people to death :)

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

PlushCow posted:

I cant remember if matches time out, but it could be funny to zip along on the surface and frustrate people to death :)

Yeah I think the matches last 10 minutes. I'm not sure if it's always a tie after that or it chooses a winner based on health. I have definitely stayed silent and hidden for 3 or 4 minutes in the hopes the enemy team might split apart looking for me.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

Rexroom posted:

Hah! I have a "06" imprinted on the side of my sub just today.

Also, hello new favorite thread.

Your move.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I am more impressed that you didn't get kicked during that streak.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Well, should be easy to test, now that I went and purchased the premium pass. Subsequently, I learned the power of long-range torpedoes and what they can achieve. I sank three subs from a distance easily, even when my side was full of single digit players. Truly a force to be reckoned with.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Rexroom posted:

Well, should be easy to test, now that I went and purchased the premium pass. Subsequently, I learned the power of long-range torpedoes and what they can achieve. I sank three subs from a distance easily, even when my side was full of single digit players. Truly a force to be reckoned with.

Does the torpedo range just mean how long they'll travel on their own before they blow up? I'm pretty bad at shooting stuff far away, lately I've been going with a sub with high health and winning slugging matches just from that.

I unlocked some crewman that heals you when you're on the surface; it's not that great, doesnt heal that fast, but if you have a fast surface speed sub and can zip around and away from the other team I can see it being really useful.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011
The longer ranged torpedoes travel over a longer distance and do more damage but have a slower rate of fire. They're extremely dangerous if you've got a good aim.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

PlushCow posted:

I unlocked some crewman that heals you when you're on the surface; it's not that great, doesnt heal that fast, but if you have a fast surface speed sub and can zip around and away from the other team I can see it being really useful.

Yeah I thought this guy might be really great but in reality he just sucks. Durability +1 is far more useful.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Ganty posted:

You move more slowly on the surface and become a prime target

This was in the OP, but I think it's incorrect. I'm pretty sure all of my subs move faster when surfaced :confused:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

cap601 posted:

Your move.

Someone in this sub was just wrecking in a few games I was playing yesterday; I'm just too awful at aiming so I've been using a sub with medium torpedos instead of long and just spitting them out, longest killstreak has been 5 so far.

Ganty posted:

Yeah I thought this guy might be really great but in reality he just sucks. Durability +1 is far more useful.

Yea, I think I'd need a sub that can really zip around to make use of him, but it wouldn't matter because my whole team is probably dead by then and I'd rather just play another match. I think I saw one of the premium DLC boats, the uboat, in a match, looked nice but I'm not sure they're any more useful than others you can unlock, unless you just like the historical aspect. I wonder when/if more subs will be released.

For those interested in premium, bestbuy has eshop cards on sale this week 25% off, though the lowest one I think you can get is a $20 card for $16.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

eightysixed posted:

This was in the OP, but I think it's incorrect. I'm pretty sure all of my subs move faster when surfaced :confused:

I've definitely noticed my speed dropping above the water with the second free sub but maybe I had some crew that made this happen. In any case you are definitely easier to hit above the water because torpedoes travel parallel to the surface once they reach it. So verticality is no longer a problem when aiming.

I think...

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
It's been quiet lately here, but lately the connections have improved as of late, which let me raise my streak to 8. Which is nice.

Anyway, some actual content in the form of some news straight from the devs. I'm getting this thru Google Translate, so there could be some errors. But anyway:

• Connection errors are being worked on with some success
  • They have been listening to suggestions and are willing to look into them - whatever that means
  • "Morse chat" (ie. that chat room thingie you find in game mode select screen) will be closed in the next update due to "unpleasant experiences" - the lobby chats however remain

As to when the "next update" goes live, that's still up in the air. But at least they're keen on supporting it further.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
English version:

quote:

Hello. This is Tadashi Sugiyama, Producer of Steel Diver: Sub Wars.

Thank you very much for playing Steel Diver: Sub Wars. I wanted to give you all a heads-up that we are planning to release an update for this game soon.

After this update, we should see fewer errors with the following error codes: [018-0501], [018-0502], and [018-0506]. Beyond this, we plan to continue improving the quality of the game's network connectivity.

We are also planning to implement a number of requests we have received from players in this update. Details will follow in the near future.

Finally, we have decided to close the Morse code chat room, so that change is included in this update as well. You will, however, still be able to use Morse code chat while waiting for online battles to begin, and during game play. I am thinking about preparing something to replace the Morse code chat room, so please be on the lookout for future updates.

Thank you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Patch is up, and it includes sub rebalancing.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Patch is up, and it includes sub rebalancing.

Much like a torpedo, :siren: :effort: question incoming! :siren:

Where can I find these "rebalancing" fixes? :v:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I assume like with normal game patches, either booting up the game or booting up the eShop would give you a prompt to go download the patch.

Unless you mean what are the rebalances, in which a few stats on the first three subs have been tweaked around a little.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Wow, I'm amazed to see any support for this game at all really. And you can still easily find a match within seconds and have a pretty good time.

This is an excellent toilet time game.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Another update coming up this month.

Takaya Imamura posted:

In Version 2.0, in Internet Battle mode, you will now also earn bonuses for consecutive victories in Matched Skills Battles. Additionally, owners of the Premium Version will have access to a larger arsenal of subs as they level up, and more subs will be made available for purchase in the Online Shop within the game.

We also received a lot of feedback via Miiverse about players attacking their allies. In Version 2.0, players who torpedo their allies will receive a warning message on their screen, and points will be deducted for every hit. We’re also planning to add a new multiplayer stage, and to continue to fine-tune the submarine stats, among other things.

Hooray! (And cue cries of nerfing their favourite sub.)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
The 2.0 update is up and out. Time for a list:

• Three new (premium) subs, all are enhanced versions of the first three subs.
  • Submarine shop has a slew of new submarines to purchase.
  • New arctic level full of icebergs and corridors.
  • Free version now consumes two Play Coins per round. You know, those "coins" you get for taking your 3DS out for a walk? This is probably the most controversial change.
  • Spawn points have been reassigned in certain levels. The hot springs level for example has both teams starting in both pools.
  • You know that mode where you can battle with similar leveled submarine captains? That's changed so it also has win streaks.
  • Random battles don't tell what levels players have.
  • And some other tweaks here and there.

All-in-all a good update - unless you're on freemium.

Furthermore, for premium players, one of the subs (Star Fox Blue Marine) in the shop can be "bought" for free for a limited time period.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Thanks for the heads up on this. Time to go back and shoot subs for a little while :)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

The 2.0 update is up and out. Time for a list:

• Three new (premium) subs, all are enhanced versions of the first three subs.
  • Submarine shop has a slew of new submarines to purchase.
  • New arctic level full of icebergs and corridors.
  • Free version now consumes two Play Coins per round. You know, those "coins" you get for taking your 3DS out for a walk? This is probably the most controversial change.
  • Spawn points have been reassigned in certain levels. The hot springs level for example has both teams starting in both pools.
  • You know that mode where you can battle with similar leveled submarine captains? That's changed so it also has win streaks.
  • Random battles don't tell what levels players have.
  • And some other tweaks here and there.

All-in-all a good update - unless you're on freemium.

Furthermore, for premium players, one of the subs (Star Fox Blue Marine) in the shop can be "bought" for free for a limited time period.

The play coins thing is a bit disappointing but on the other hand Blue Fuckin' Marine. I knew buying this game was a good idea. Also the free Blue Marine offer apparently extends until the 19th so anybody who doesn't have premium yet can still get in on it.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

The play coins thing is a bit disappointing but on the other hand Blue Fuckin' Marine. I knew buying this game was a good idea. Also the free Blue Marine offer apparently extends until the 19th so anybody who doesn't have premium yet can still get in on it.

The coins change has ruined the formerly illustrious Steel Diver: Sub Wars experience for this young man. I am frothing with indignant rage.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Ganty posted:

The coins change has ruined the formerly illustrious Steel Diver: Sub Wars experience for this young man. I am frothing with indignant rage.

It's a bad change, but the playerbase must still be large & healthy enough to take the hit that some people may not play as much as before to try and push people into buying premium. I haven't touched the game (or my 3DS, really) in awhile but I'll have to try this new patch out. I like that they're making changes, I don't know why however they haven't changed it so that your team is always BLUE and the enemy is always RED. Pretty standard for most multiplayer games, but you know, Nintendo :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Well, the game does display a big "stop shooting your teammate you colorblind doofus" sign if you hit your side. So I guess that's a step to the right direction.

• Locked thread