Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
NVENC is part of their driver and their SDK. It requires an app that uses NVENC SDK to use. There's an After Effects plugin for it, and OBS also supports it apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Suspicious Dish posted:

NVENC is part of their driver and their SDK. It requires an app that uses NVENC SDK to use. There's an After Effects plugin for it, and OBS also supports it apparently.

yeah i was just looking for their sample code really, i wouldn't know how to make a usable application out of it unless it's pretty rudimentary. i'm kinda bummed it's not cuda based anymore actually since it looks like that api isn't available on os x even though they provide drivers in the 34x series

a long while ago i was actually able to build their lunix cuda sample encoder on os x with a few edits, but like i said it only accepted raw yuv for input so it was just sort of a novelty. guess i'll have to use windows

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
it was always an awkward fit in CUDA, considering it needs to use separate, dedicated hardware on their board. Basically, it does use the compute cores, but it also has silicon logic for placing and moving mblocks around in the DPB.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Beeftweeter posted:

i finally got a GTX 970 (after being sent a card from the last loving decade first), does anyone know where to get nvidia's NVENC thing? i wanna try the hevc encoder

i think i remember the h.264 one being a part of some cuda sdk (and iirc it only took yuv input) but i'm having trouble finding it

how are you liking the Actually A 970?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Suspicious Dish posted:

it was always an awkward fit in CUDA, considering it needs to use separate, dedicated hardware on their board. Basically, it does use the compute cores, but it also has silicon logic for placing and moving mblocks around in the DPB.

yeah that's what i figured, it just seemed like nv was using cuda to do it just to use cuda. still sucks os x doesnt get to play with anything neat ever :sigh:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i spent a solid week figuring out how to use nvenc for anything useful, the links are all scratched into the insides of my eyelids. and yeah, it doesn't work on os x afaik because apple pick all the os x graphics driver interfaces and didn't want to muddy the waters for their own hardware encoder stuff.

things with cuda get even more complicated because nvidia had a prior-to-kepler asic-less cuda implementation which they called NVENCODE or something and they came in different SDKs. that one was much slower though.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-eYiD9OfM

Genuinely curious what Pagan Cow thinks.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

josh04 posted:

i spent a solid week figuring out how to use nvenc for anything useful, the links are all scratched into the insides of my eyelids. and yeah, it doesn't work on os x afaik because apple pick all the os x graphics driver interfaces and didn't want to muddy the waters for their own hardware encoder stuff.

things with cuda get even more complicated because nvidia had a prior-to-kepler asic-less cuda implementation which they called NVENCODE or something and they came in different SDKs. that one was much slower though.

that might have been the one i played with actually, i don't remember for sure since you're right: there are way too many nvidia encoders. either way i couldn't get nvenc to do anything either but i'm not exactly a coder

madeupfred posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-eYiD9OfM

Genuinely curious what Pagan Cow thinks.

crank up the vibrance slider and call it a day :shepface:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

crank up the vibrance slider and call it a day :shepface:

seems sensible for a movie based on a comic

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

yeah but then your comic movie looks too comicy and jesus we cant have that!!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

true, you could say the same about the desaturated look too though. it's really his choice. zack snyder has proven that if he wants something burn your eyes out saturated he's more than willing to do it

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

abuse of desaturation is a crime

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
the video was faked btw, the original isn't nearly as dark

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sacré bleu!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

computer parts posted:

the video was faked btw, the original isn't nearly as dark

just wait until they find the clarity slider

What if Man of Steel was IN SUPER HD???

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

what if you use image stabilization on Waking Life?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

gonna tonemap the gently caress out of this scene rip i have

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
No. dont like it

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

no they will not posted:

No. dont like it

lol

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

no they will not posted:

No. dont like it
      /

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

bobbilljim posted:

/

lmao

needs to be animated

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

yvcpos status: http://scottsievert.github.io/blog/2015/04/23/image-sqrt/

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pls don't post my posting station

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i had an exam today where i got to talk about steganography and watermarking which is kinda yvcpos i guess

where is pagancow anyway :iiam:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
busy streaming video games with chip cheezum

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Shooting more infomercials for golf clubs you can piss in

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i think he said he was busy shooting something but that was a few months ago. i guess i could email him if people are really concerned that he meant he was shooting himself or something lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

anyway i am looking for a new monitor and think i have it narrowed down to 3 models: dell UP2414Q, P2415Q or U2515H

the first one is their high gamut model but i'm not sure i need that for home use, the second is just a srgb UHD panel (both 0.137mm dot pitch) and the third is a srgb 25" 1440p panel (0.216mm). im not really sure which one i should get

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 8, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i think he said he was busy shooting something but that was a few months ago. i guess i could email him if people are really concerned that he meant he was shooting himself or something lol

a $1 million per minute video suicide note would be pretty impressive

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

univbee posted:

anything less than $1 million/min: "please look away if this will offend you"

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

univbee posted:

"bye"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I can afford a million dollar minute suicide note, it would only last for a single frame though

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

anyway i am looking for a new monitor and think i have it narrowed down to 3 models: dell UP2414Q, P2415Q or U2515H

the first one is their high gamut model but i'm not sure i need that for home use, the second is just a srgb UHD panel (both 0.137mm dot pitch) and the third is a srgb 25" 1440p panel (0.216mm). im not really sure which one i should get

I have a pair of 2715q displays, and they calibrated pretty well but I only need ATSC gamut.

Once you go UHD density even at 27" there's no going back. I need a new macbook now :/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

I have a pair of 2715q displays, and they calibrated pretty well but I only need ATSC gamut.

Once you go UHD density even at 27" there's no going back. I need a new macbook now :/

yeah 27" is too big for me honestly, 24-25" seems to be the sweet spot in terms of physical size and pixel density. i had a 30" monitor for a while and i hated it since my eyes were constantly darting all over the place when i sat at my desk (from farther away it was ok)

the only thing thats making me hesitate is going from 16:10 (1920x1200) to 16:9 no matter which i choose, but it looks like you can't get a 16:10 monitor with good pixel density at a reasonable price anymore :sigh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also i have no idea how people use tvs as monitors (and sit at desks!). you can literally see the goddamn pixels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beeftweeter posted:

also i have no idea how people use tvs as monitors (and sit at desks!). you can literally see the goddamn pixels

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

ur supposed to take off ur glasses and sit 6 feet back for that all natural antialiasing

• Locked thread