Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

ur supposed to take off ur glasses and sit 6 feet back for that all natural antialiasing

you cant since most tvs have tn panels so by the time you're at a good distance away the contrast has shifted so badly that only half the screen is readable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beeftweeter posted:

you cant since most tvs have tn panels so by the time you're at a good distance away the contrast has shifted so badly that only half the screen is readable

ya thats the best way to read my posts

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

where is pagancow, what happened to him?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah 27" is too big for me honestly, 24-25" seems to be the sweet spot in terms of physical size and pixel density. i had a 30" monitor for a while and i hated it since my eyes were constantly darting all over the place when i sat at my desk (from farther away it was ok)

the only thing thats making me hesitate is going from 16:10 (1920x1200) to 16:9 no matter which i choose, but it looks like you can't get a 16:10 monitor with good pixel density at a reasonable price anymore :sigh:

im 40" dawg

1080p

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

spankmeister posted:

he saw a 240x360 video stretched out to 1080i on a tn panel

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

he saw a 240x360 video stretched out to 1080i on a tn panel

:rip:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

where is pagancow, what happened to her?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

spankmeister posted:

iirc he said hes working on something last time i saw him post

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

remember how i was trying to figure out how to use NVENC?

ffmpeg 2.6.1 supports NVENC now :gowron:

...but of course not on os x :sigh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

gonna try and compile it with mingw-64 i guess but i honestly have no idea how to do that (i'm fine with using clang/gcc on os x though, actually compiling it now). i know the binary technically wouldn't be redistributable but if anyone else knows how and wants to throw a build my way that would be extremely cool

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it wont work bc the mac has the aids

i mean it doesn't have the drivers for it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

spankmeister posted:

it wont work bc the mac has the aids

i mean it doesn't have the drivers for it

well i copied over the lunix header files for it from the nvenc sdk which ffmpeg actually accepted and compiled with, but when i try and use "nvenc" as the video codec it complains that it cant find the CUDA library, even though i have the CUDA toolkit installed. i guess it uses CUDA for something?

oh well :smith:

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

spankmeister posted:

I guess those controllers finally made it to him. Rest in peace lil dude.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

anyway i am looking for a new monitor and think i have it narrowed down to 3 models: dell UP2414Q, P2415Q or U2515H

the first one is their high gamut model but i'm not sure i need that for home use, the second is just a srgb UHD panel (both 0.137mm dot pitch) and the third is a srgb 25" 1440p panel (0.216mm). im not really sure which one i should get

the up2414q is a mst monitor. it appears to your graphics card as two monitors and it's up to the card to try and keep poo poo in sync

not cool

the p2415q is a year newer and lacks that particular defect. i don't know how good a monitor it is but at least it's not stupid broken

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the up2414q is a mst monitor. it appears to your graphics card as two monitors and it's up to the card to try and keep poo poo in sync

not cool

the p2415q is a year newer and lacks that particular defect. i don't know how good a monitor it is but at least it's not stupid broken

oh good to know i was just about to pull the trigger on it. i guess i'll go for the p2415q

still kinda pissed i have to give up 16:10 but having a monitor that can use retina assets will own & probably make up for it

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
There are a lot of video formats out there today, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Overall, though, there can only be one "best" type of video, and my personal pick for that has to be high quality videos.

-The "m'fontcache" guy

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
4:4:4 blaze it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wild EEPROM posted:

4:4:4 blaze it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

p2415q came today

it owns i have all the pixels now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

although im still a little sad its not 16:10

rip good aspect ratio

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

rip good aspect ratio

lmao enjoy your garbage monitor

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

rip good aspect ratio
why would you buy 16:9 that's disgusting.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hum dum time 2 buy the thing I will be looking @ 18 hours a day. lets get the one that sucks.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

- everyone buying a labtop except for macbook pro buyers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

finally a shag-pinion everyone can get behind

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
ok what about 21:9

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shaggar posted:

you literally cant get a high dpi 16:10 monitor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

ok what about 21:9

i guess that might be good if you have the desk space for it and want to replace multiple monitors. i wanted a single non-garbage refresh rate 24" high dpi display and the p2415q fit the bill

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i had been wanting a 3 x 16:9 setup for a while. honestly 2x would be fine if bezels werent a thing. 21:9 monitors seem like a brilliant compromise and are getting pretty cheap

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
pagancow posts as 'black pete' cos she doesn't want the fame

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pagancow is a sassy black woman

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

spankmeister posted:

knew it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

spankmeister posted:

coincidentally named pete

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

- everyone buying a labtop except for macbook pro buyers

does the mac book have 16:10 ?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Shaggar posted:

does the mac book have 16:10 ?

the pro 13 and 15 and the air 13 are 16:10

the poverty air and the one port wonder aren't

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Wild EEPROM posted:

the pro 13 and 15 and the air 13 are 16:10

the poverty air and the one port wonder aren't

the 12" macbook is 16:10

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perplx posted:

the 12" macbook is 16:10

ya

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it has no other redeeming qualities about it tho

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
why is 16:10 good, dont tell me its because 16:9 monitors are rebranded tv panels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i got 2 mac cinema displays

like that

plz tell me if my pixels are bad

• Locked thread