Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Lepers Colony Spectators Colony

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Replying to Ootrek's post in the other thread:

Ootrek posted:

From my perspective, they were playing devil's advocate to make up for the lack of people on the other side willing to post in that thread. It might not have been approached in the right way, but I think it was step in the right direction wrt bringing more debate to that forum.
Yeah, Null Byte's posts also seemed to be getting increasingly better as the discussion progressed, which indicates a certain sincerity to me. (As opposed to just wanting to stir up poo poo for no reason.) It's not like writing out a huge post telling people how they're wrong as your first move is likely to work either, those have a habit of being ignored or replied to with far less effort than was put into them. The approach of challenging a specific post, and then building up a discussion from there, is basically how most arguments in D&D go. Except in this case, Null Byte was probated when the discussion started moving on to the specific topic of how to relate politically to people whose political language is heavily focused on morality, instead of the perhaps played out discussion of abortion. Sure, maybe his first posts weren't 100% top grade D&D, but why not just give the (from my perspective at least) improving discussion a chance? At least further discussion might have made up for the "damage" of the initial posts, but now it's just a few pages of people being annoyed/mad/condescending.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ootrek posted:

Haha really?

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This one is my favorite unnecessary ban and/or probation.

Ootrek posted:

Christ. And a week at that.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Rando posted:

This one is my favorite unnecessary ban and/or probation.

Christ. And a week at that.

That post was edited :ssh:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

KoldPT posted:

yep and the probation was brojo levels of petty regardless

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KoldPT posted:

What did it say originally?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rando posted:

It was just a short sentence or two, telling people to people to post probations/bans they disagreed with. Basically, he posted the thread Ralp seems to have given a go-ahead for here:

Fernhill posted:

Ralp, didn't you say somewhere in QCS that someone could create a bans/probations thread? Both the question and suggestion threads have a lot of people asking about specific things in the Leper's Colony, and it might make things easier to read if that was in a thread of its own.

Ralp posted:

Yeah that's fine. I'll make a new Quick Suggestions thread too but I'm phone posting til tonight or tomorrow.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I was also under the impression that Ralp wanted a separate thread for discussing/complaining about bans and probations. The Quick Suggestions and Quick Questions threads were getting clogged up since that was pretty much all that was being discussed over there for the past week.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 16, 2014

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Ralp wants chaos and despair imo

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

Ruddha posted:

I'm a fan of both those things.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

OP and title edited, poster probated for a week, but thread remains. This all makes sense.

Fernhill
Oct 28, 2013

I somehow feel I'm to blame. Sorry, Ootrek! :ohdear:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rando posted:

It was called something like "Post your least favorite bans and bitch about mod actions". I edited it to this (SORRY FOR THE LACK OF PAPER TRAIL ACCOUNTABILITY), he apologized in PM and said he wouldn't challenge the probation, but I pretty much walked into this one.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ralp posted:

It was called something like "Post your least favorite bans and bitch about mod actions". I edited it to this (SORRY FOR THE LACK OF PAPER TRAIL ACCOUNTABILITY), he apologized in PM and said he wouldn't challenge the probation, but I pretty much walked into this one.

The fate of the phone poster.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Ruddha posted:

This sounds like fun. I support this measure.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ralp posted:

Fair enough.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It does not seem very fair to probate people for "making GBS threads up the thread" or even posting in bad faith if they're making valid arguments and adding to the conversation (the debate part of D&D) instead of just handwringing like Yiggy appeared to be doing (and also forum shaming that sure seems lovely)

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Anyone who willingly posts in D&D is a retard and deserves to be probated.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Posting well thought out and contrary opinions should be encouraged in a subforum about debating and discussing.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
What I'm not sure people realize is that the GOP watch 2014 thread is essentially a mock thread. You could attempt to start a legitimate dialogue on Feminism in one of the Tumblr threads, but you really shouldn't expect it to go anywhere. I'm all for people putting forth their opinions, but there are a number of D&D threads that are more about pointing and laughing than actual discourse.

Yeah I know, those threads really aren't about "debating" or "discussing," but neither are many of the current events threads. The subforum is more about politics in general. :shrug:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

What I'm not sure people realize is that the GOP watch 2014 thread is essentially a mock thread. You could attempt to start a legitimate dialogue on Feminism in one of the Tumblr threads, but you really shouldn't expect it to go anywhere. I'm all for people putting forth their opinions, but there are a number of D&D threads that are more about pointing and laughing than actual discourse.

Yeah I know, those threads really aren't about "debating" or "discussing," but neither are many of the current events threads. The subforum is more about politics in general. :shrug:

What Null Byte was doing should still be acceptable though: reminding people that people who have differing opinions do not necessarily do so because they are cartoon villains.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Ralp posted:

he apologized in PM and said he wouldn't challenge the probation

Well it's a good thing he didn't challenge it...

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

serious posting in the non-serious posting zone of the serious posting area is probatable.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Beat the poo poo out of the mods and admins.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Spiderman posted:

Beat the poo poo out of the mods and admins.

No!!! please x_x

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
i like admin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's also difficult to have a discussion about something people disagree on, because it's real easy for people to think you're just being an rear end in a top hat about it (because plenty of people would just be an rear end in a top hat about it), so they respond with over-the-top hostility.

Angstrom
Nov 4, 2011

So Ralp tells someone it's fine to make a thread discussing questionable mod actions, then when said poster makes the thread he edits out the title, content, and probates the poster for a week. Yes this seems reasonable.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Ralp posted:

Edit this into the op as well to stop the 500 pages of posts about it please

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

That kvit! Ban is magical.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bitchtard posted:

That kvit! Ban is magical.

bitchtard no, please dont turn this into a pyf thread

e; oh nevermind the title says its a pyf thread now, my bad

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

A buncha people on twitch are playing a hacked version of pokemon, where you can type in commands like "down" or "b" and it'll push that button on the emulator, and it's like a chatroom of people trying to pokemon when everybody's pushing all the buttons at once
cheez had a meltdown over it

Cheez posted:

Think I care? They already hosed it up beyond any help.

We can get eevee, all we need is a water stone to make it evolve and we can use surf :downs:

We can fix this, all we have to do is go to the PC and deposit eevee, we've done this before :downs:

Now what? You have a grand total of one pokemon with weak moves. Assuming anyone even gets past the safari zone, assuming anyone gets past victory road, assuming anyone gets to the elite four, there is no backup plan. And you don't see how a bunch of people collectively thinking like this is horrifying when applied to actual real life situations.

It's okay cheez
It's just internet Pokemon
I know you can't hear me but it'll be okay

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Cheez for games mod. I want to see that kind of passion for order applied to the forums themselves.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I am angry on the internet about things. SO ANGRY!!!

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Chokes McGee posted:

I am angry on the internet about things. SO ANGRY!!!

Congrats. I have real problems.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I know this was already quoted but loving lmao

Cheez posted:

Think I care? They already hosed it up beyond any help.

We can get eevee, all we need is a water stone to make it evolve and we can use surf :downs:

We can fix this, all we have to do is go to the PC and deposit eevee, we've done this before :downs:

Now what? You have a grand total of one pokemon with weak moves. Assuming anyone even gets past the safari zone, assuming anyone gets past victory road, assuming anyone gets to the elite four, there is no backup plan. And you don't see how a bunch of people collectively thinking like this is horrifying when applied to actual real life situations.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Personally I feel the ban post is superior

Cheez posted:

I can see how you would defend this idea seeing as you all paid $10 to be part of a forum that's no different from the ones you can visit for free.

The difference is that I see the mistake in doing this.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

g0lbez posted:

I know this was already quoted but loving lmao

holy moly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

KoldPT posted:

Personally I feel the ban post is superior

What is it with Pokemon and why does it turn people crazy?

• Locked thread