Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.

Ah, blast this drat thing! It has no beginning or end? What kind of bloody story is this? Bah, don't give me that look. If it's the middle that's all there is, then it should suit ya just fine if I start there now won't it? Now where was I? Ah yes, here we go. A fine starting point if there ever was one in this book...

Lujen, one of many towns built along the Road Paved With Silk. Tents of hopeful merchants lie next to hastily built houses, themselves next to loading docks and gaudy displays of mercantile royalty. Guild houses struggle to moderate the flood of trade, but the tides are too strong for any one force to oversee. Scoundrels and cut-throats hope to make a fortune among the gilded snakes, often to be ratted out and thrown to the ever-hungry dogs. Hopes of striking it rich on the silken road are dashed and made in equal measure, the winners and losers made plain by their clothes. Yet people still try to make their fortune, against all hope.

The town is currently deep in the throes of chaos. A threat has been unleashed in the form of four slavering beasts, bodies like lions and faces like men and jaws like sharks. Such unnatural things were dredged up from the darkest corners of the world. These beasts have been set loose upon the world with the intent on rending you limb from limb. At least, that's what it appears to be. Perhaps more importantly, you all have a very good idea of who was responsible for the beasts; Sotha Demontongue, a Stygian necromancer whose taste for the dark arts is unnerving even among his own people. You have all come across this blasphemous man in some manner or another, and likely not in a positive light either. You also know he traffics in strange beasts such as these, and he has loosed them in hopes to be rid of you. Tell me, what have you done that you believe would warrant this wrath? What do you plan to do about the beasts that hunt you?

Alright everybody! Be sure to post your character sheet in the first post, though all the flavor text isn't necessary. Just the aspects and mechanics and name and such is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Aengus

*Sigh*

"It's always the same. I stop at a tavern along the way, try to flirt with the wenches a bit, and suddenly SOMEONE is screaming for my help. Although this one is new."

"Sir Knight, come quickly! Some horrid hellbeasts are rampaging through the main road!"

"Hellbeasts, eh? What sort of hellbeasts are we talking... about?"

Aengus stepped out of the tavern, still clutching his tankard of ale. He recognized the beasts, having slain one while saving the princess of... of...? Well, someplace. He couldn't possibly forget the villain, however. Sotha Demontongue, the foulest of necromancers Aengus ever had the 'good' fortune to come across. The wanton destruction Aengus had bestowed upon the wizard's home sent whatever dark plans he may have been concocting spiraling into uselessness. Aengus had heard enough stories to know that his kind tended to keep grudges.

"Oh ho! Nothing like a good warmup before getting down and dirty with the villains," Aengus finished his tankard with one gulp before placing his helmet back on his head then drawing his longsword. "Let us begin, foul beasts!"

Fate's Balance places the aspect "Chivalry First and Foremost" on Aengus with two free tags.

pre:
FP: 2
Aspects: Chivalry First and Foremost
Stress
Physical: OOOOO
Mental: OOOO

OmegaGoo posted:

Aengus, Crusader of the Stars

Refresh: 2
Stress

Consequences
Mild:
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

High Concept: Child of Fate

Trouble: Two Souls, One Body

Background: Born of an Unholy Sacrament

Lore: The Conquerer

Free: Honor, Glory, and the Maiden's Kiss

pre:
Skills
5: Physique
4: Fight
3: Athletics   Rapport
2: Contacts    Notice    Provoke  
1: Lore        Deceive   Resources  Will      
Stunts

Fate's Balance: At the beginning of each scene, Aengus places an aspect on himself representing the balance between his personalities with two free invokes that anyone (enemy or ally) can use.

Brutal Shift: If Gam's Desire or Need has been compelled this scene, Aengus gets an extra 2 shifts on a successful Fight attack.

For the Ladies: Aengus gains +2 Rapport whenever dealing with a fair maiden.

Dark Memories: Aengus may use Gam's Lore skill in place of his own by spending a Fate Point.

Gam
(Demon, Power 6)
Stress
Mental: OOOOO
Resentment: -

Consequences
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

Desire: Fear
Need: Worship

pre:
Skills
5: Deceive     Provoke
4: Fight       Lore
3: Physique    Will
2: Athletics   Crafts   
1: Notice      Stealth      
Stunts

Fearmonger: Gam can make Provoke attacks against all characters in a zone. This does not differentiate between allies and enemies.

Lord of Fear: If Gam Succeeds with Style on a Provoke attack targeting a single character, he can reduce the damage done by 2 shifts to place the aspect "Awed and Afraid" on the target instead of a boost.

Worship Me!: Gam may compel the aspect "Awed and Afraid" on a character to cause them to skip their next action.

Master of Illusion: Gam may use Deceive in place of Athletics to defend against attacks until he fails a defense roll.

Ancient Knowledge: Gam's Lore checks complete two time increments faster than normal.

Deceptive Smile: Gam may use Aengus's Rapport skill in place of his own by spending a Fate Point.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The Rat

Never steal from a wizard.

That had been Makronicus the Spider-Eyed's first lesson. And sixth. And fourteenth. And technically last.

Never steal from a wizard.

So, the Rat had stolen from a wizard.

Sitting at the bar, settling for but two mugs for now, the Rat takes out the small metal device he had pocketed (and nothing more, since taking that alone set off eldritch lights and alarms). There was a sick irony to this; the only thing the drat thing did was track the exact beasts the warlock had sent after him. And now some hoity toity tin-plate man was boasting to the other nobodies about some kinda mon-

The device had begin reacting.

Dammit.

The Rat, trying to appear nonchalant, quietly slips away from the bar, using Captain Honorable's load boasting to distract the barkeep from his tab and waits for the knight to leave. If this stranger could kill the beast for him, things would start looking up for the Rat. And if not, well, surely the knight would distract it long enough for the Rat to make the killing blow. Heroism you don't technically work for is the BEST kind.

quote:

Stress
Physical: [][][]
Mental: [][][]

Consequences
Minor:
Moderate:
Severe:

Refresh: 3/3

High Concept: Adventurer and Thief for Hire

Invoke: Hear/feel the call for adventure, succeed in acts of daring, skulk through the shadows
Compel: Never have enough to pay rent, never a dull moment, no place to call home

Trouble: Money Makes the World Go Round

Invoke: Smell out gold, know just how to get the valuables
Compel: Be driven by pure avarice and absolute greed, accept bribes with ease, potentially sell out for giant pouches of gold.

Background: Wizard's Apprentice

Invoke: Understand wizardry, have "friends" in arcane places
Compel: Other sorcerers know him, be used as a gofer, master comes a'calling, magic reacts weird around him

Lore: Tales of High (and Low) Adventure

Invoke: Be known for his adventures, have high bids for his skills,
Compel: Have lots and lots of bitter former enemies, be marked for REVENGE, former marks want their gold back

Wildcard: Lady Troubles

Invoke: Save the ladies, woo the ladies, charm the ladies
Compel: Be dumb around ladies, be taken advantage of by the ladies, constantly have to go save YET ANOTHER loving lady

Skills
+5: Stealth
+4: Burglary, Fight
+3: Acrobatics, Notice
+2: Lore, Shoot
+1: Physique, Will

Stunts

Level 10 Thief: Gains +2 to Lore when dealing with magical items. On a failed roll when using an activated magical item, the item still goes off - with unstable, and potentially even backwards results!

Thieves' Cant: Use Burglary for Contacts when attempting to contact other ne'er-do-wells

Backstab: Is treated as having Weapon 2 when invoking an aspect related to Stealth

Rakish Charm: Use Burglary instead of Rapport when trying to be charming

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus, the Son of Oberon

Sotha Demontongue. Vile bastard.

Jaxus spits upon the ground, sword slung over his back, his hulking seven and a half foot frame leaned just outside the tavern, idly pulling his own tankard of Northern mead. It was from the homeland, imported, but it was worth the gold coin he had spent on it. It tasted like home, reminded him of better days.

The knight stumbled out of the tavern, rambling of hellbeasts, and Jaxus knew.

He thought back to his encounter with Sotha Demontongue, the vile mage whose magicks shifted the dead back to life. He remembered slaying, hacking his way through hordes of mutilated corpses and maggot-ridden monstrosities of meat.

And he remembered why.

Sotha Demontongue had been one of Kurgul's customers since long before Jaxus was taken as a slave. He paid for slaves, experimented on them, and used them as minions in his own vile manse. It was the day Jaxus had spoken to the spirits, had heard Iraya's lilting voice like frost-lilies in the wind, that he was to be sold to Sotha Demontongue for his "insubordination." And it was from Sotha Demontongue's manse that Jaxus escaped, a free man, and never to be enslaved again.

The necromancer was enraged - he spat vile curses at the hulking barbarian, screaming that decades of research had been ruined by Jaxus' savage hand. Jaxus laughed, dashing the frail old man against the wall of his own laboratory before slashing his way out of the manse.

But here he was, just another barbarian in just another city, with Sotha's hellbeasts hunting him and no respite in sight.

He pulled at his mead again.

"Armored man!" he calls, gravelly voice booming in the night. "I hear you are hunting the hellbeasts. We have the same prey."

He looks at the knight, waiting for an answer.

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Jaxus, the Son of Oberon

High Concept: Barbarian Heir With No Clan

Invoke To: be regal in his own savage way, to know the ways of the barbarians, to have pull among people similar to him
Compel To: be reminded of his stripped stature, to see just how things have changed in his absence, to be seen as little more than a savage

Trouble: Trouble on the Homefront

Invoke To: pursue the interests of the Magnusson Clan, help savage peoples who are plighted
Compel To: drive Jaxus mad with grief and loss over his clan, push him to take rash and unnecessary risks to save his people

Background: From Slave to Slayer

Invoke to: Wreck Shop in a huge way, feats of barbaric strength and athleticism, get creative with the shop-wrecking
Compel to: not know finer skills and arts, not understand the civilized world, try to solve all his problems with violence

Lore: No Chains May Bind Me, No Fortress Shall Hold Me

Invoke to: break his bonds and those of others, strike against slavers and those who would play at owning men, break (literally) into and out of places.
Compel to: free people no matter the cost, fly into a rage at slavers, be restless and full of wanderlust despite having good reasons to stay

Aspect: Reserved for now!

Stress:
Physical: O O O O O
Mental: O O O O O
Consequences: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Skills:
+5 Fight,
+4 Provoke, Physique
+3 Will, Athletics
+2 Notice, Shoot
+1 Burglary, Stealth

Stunts:
I'll Cleave Your Skull To The Teeth! When Jaxus takes someone out in a physical combat and kills them, he also creates a "Terrified" advantage on all other enemies in the immediate area.

The Strongest One There Is: When Jaxus is overcoming advantages through brute physical strength, he gains +2 to his Physique rolls.

On Raven's Black Wings: When Jaxus is leaping or running to overcome or create advantages, he gains +2 to his Athletics checks.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 18, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Aislin FP:3

Aislin bit the coin the innkeep had given her in change for a mug of something that smelled more like lamp oil than drink. She glared at him over the top of it, her flame kissed hair twirling in ringlets around the lunar crescent that marked her brow. "Are ye sure that's what ye saw, now?" she asked.

"Y-yes." The chubby man in the dirty apron said. "Weren't just me, miss. There's chaos in the streets."

The bard sighed. She'd been sleeping, never you mind the hour, and come down the stairs for a wake-me-up mug and to hear tales of- "Man-faced lions, wirra wirra." She shook her head. "It be that necromancer, Sotha Demontongue. He's always setting the likes of them loose ta trouble honest folk."

She threw back the mug and smacked her lips at the strength of the liquor. "It's time for me ta be off, sir. I've got a good feeling about this'n."

The innkeep blinked as she shouldered her bag and tied the brace of javelins to her belt. "Are you planning to slay the creatures?"

Aislin laughed. "Not I, good sir. Wee beasties like that bring others to the fore, and so a tale begins. I'll tell it to ye when next I pass this way."

"Good fortune, singer." He said, giving her a nod.

"And ye also, innkeep."

As she pushed the door open to greet the deserted streets, Aislin took a deep breath of the pungent smell of what should have been a crowded marketplace. Screams not far away marked her path. She wondered if the man-faced lions had any particular victims in mind. Certainly not herself.

She might have spread the tale of how Sotha was humiliated by a barbarian slave, and written a song about the one time he'd summoned an entire cadre of cherubs instead of imps. (They'd draped his dungeons and dark spire in silks and flowers before he was rid of them.) And once she drew a picture of Sotha, (someone who spent too much time in the dark without the sense to eat regular meals or bathe at all,) for that knight who'd been looking for the necromancer. It'd not been a flattering likeness, but it had certainly been accurate.

Aislin had been enough of a thorn in Sotha's side that for months now he'd been adding "And if you see the red-haired witch with the big mouth, kill her too." to all of his servant's orders. These were simply the first she'd come across in her travels.

But even as she came across them, she came across some others. A big man in plate mail yelling a challenge to the monsters, and a barbarian with a sword as large as she.

"Wirra, wirra." Aislin whispered, snatching one of her javelins from the brace, hoping the beasts hadn't yet seen her. The words to the first chapter of this tale were already forming in her mind.

-----

(Note, Aislin started in a different inn than the tavern the boys came out of, so she's joining battle from another angle. 'Wirra wirra' is an old Irish expression for something bad, kind of an "Oh no" or "That sucks".)

Javelin stunt added.

quote:

Aislin Brannagh

High Concept: The Wandering Chronicler
Invoke: To write, sing, or tell a tale. To live a nomad's lifestyle.
Compel: Some tales are best left untold. Some secrets are best kept.

Trouble: "I'll Not Lie..."
Invoke: Some people like brutal honesty!
Compel: But most people don't.

Background: You Must Live To Tell The Tale
Invoke: Survival skills, making useful things from natural materials, getting herself or others out of a jam.
Compel: To refuse to go on suicide missions, to sit on the sidelines, to be the lone survivor.

Lore: Twister of Fate
Invoke: When declaring something to be true, or trying to force events to play out in a certain way.
Compel: Monkey's Paw Effect- trying to force the world to bend to your will has terrible consequences.

Aspect: In the Company of Heroes
Invoke: To throw a narrative spotlight on something or someone she finds interesting. To call others to action when something bad happens.
Compel: To be a living trouble-magnet, or to cause trouble in order to liven things up.

Skills:

+5 Provoke
+4 Empathy, Fight
+3 Athletics, Will
+2 Stealth, Investigate
+1 Notice, Physique

Stress Tracks:
Phys: ()()()()
Mental: ()()()

Refresh: 3

Stunts:

Once More, With Feeling: Once per scene, you may increase an ally's roll by +2, or grant them a free reroll.

True Colors: When you compel an aspect revealed by Empathy, your target becomes consumed with that aspect and must behave as though it is the driving force in their life for the rest of the scene. Resisting this compel costs 3 FP.

Thought-Provoking: When you tell a story or sing, you may use Provoke in place of Rapport to instill thoughtful and inspiring moods on an audience, rather than just hostile reactions. In addition, you may use Provoke to encourage and coax your allies into actions, but they may not take your insults well down the line.

Forest's Teeth: You always carry three javelins. You may use Fight instead of Shoot to throw your javelins one zone away. Thrown javelins deal one additional stress if they hit, but you must move into that zone in order to retrieve them. You may retrieve one javelin per turn as a free action as long as it is within the same zone as you.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 18, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Jack Starchild - FP: 1 - Stress: OOOO (P) / OOOOO (M) (-2/-4/-6)

Lujen's a quaint little town. Sure, it's full of thieves, robbers and magistrates, but that's cities for you. Can't go anywhere man's been and not expect to find people like that. So when you take the good with the bad, Lujen isn't too badly off. It's lively without being noisy, people know how to treat their guests, and the food's pretty good. That made it all the more of a pity when the hounds came marching in.

I didn't notice they'd arrived, at first. Just a bunch of hounds? That's smalltime. When something big comes a-knocking, my ears start buzzing, and it's not in anticipation of the blows I'm about to take. Those dogs weren't big enough to do that, so it took until people started screaming for me to realize something was up. drat. Demons already? They'd gotten ahead of schedule. Demons come in thirds. Third day of the week, third day of the month, third day of the year. It's almost a tradition at this point, but apparently these pups wanted to break with tradition.

"Work's calling, Wick. Sorry. I'll see you around." Wick's a bookish little fellow, runs one of the few libraries of Lujen. Since the fiasco with that fire temple I'd been a little lost, so I figured I'd peer through the books to get a refresher on where I should go next. Turns out it wasn't needed.

Outside, Lujen was in chaos. The minions of hell marching into town always ends with people making a mess of things and some jackass starting a fire or two. Carts were overturned, windows broken...drat. Things had gone sour fast. At least it didn't take too long to find the pups. They were being pretty loud, stomping through town like they owned the place. Other people had found them too, by the looks of it. A knight in shining armor, a northman so big it looked like a mountain had decided to grow legs, and a cute redhead with a nice pokey stick that looked pretty dangerous. Hmm...hadn't I seen her somewhere before? ...Nah. Didn't ring any bells. I'd recognize those curls anywhere, too, so this was a first meeting. Four of us and four of them. This was going to be an even fight.

"Hey tin man, big guy, Red! Whaddya say we team up and put these dogs back in the pound?" I called out, gesturing at the pups with my sword. "I got this one, this one and this one." I pointed the blade at each of the three hounds in turn. "Think you can take care of the rest?"

quote:

Jack Starchild

High Concept: First Blood

Invoke: The blood of gods can do great things, and make the impossible trivial.
Compel: It's also the single most delectable treat a demon can taste, a magical reagent worth giving up the world for, and did we mention that a god's child can't act against his nature without risking terrible consequences for himself and others?

Trouble: Highway To Hell

Invoke: If there ought to be a law against it, Jack's probably got some experience with it. When you travel as much as he has and meet so many interesting people, you learn a couple useful things. Not that he likes using them, of course.
Compel: Sometimes, there's actually a whole lotta law against what Jack needs to do. It would be so easy to get through obstacles by using Jack's godly blood for petty gains, or by taking a nasty shortcut...surely it won't hurt anybody to do the wrong thing just this once?

Background: Playing With Girls

Invoke: Jack spent his childhood hiding his identity, and that's stuck with him to a degree. You'd be surprised by how useful a convincing falsetto can be when combined with a big cloak. Above all, however, he's a charmer: something about him just gets the attention of girls to a frankly astounding degree. He knows a lot of ladies, and they know him well too.
Compel: For instance, they know he knows lots of other girls and most of them really don't appreciate that. They also know he can leave at the drop of a hat, and some of them can be clingy. They even know that he's a sucker for a pretty face and doesn't always think straight when confronted with a pretty gal. Did we mention that the assassins and warriors known as the Sisters of Selene are after him, by the way?

Lore: Back In Black

Invoke: Calling Jack die-hard is an understatement. Anything that doesn't get rid of him will just make him come back stronger. He's not one to quit, and will never stop chasing after a goal until he's grabbed it (most often at swordpoint). He's also got a real flair for making his comebacks look great - he's done it enough times to get practice at it...
Compel: ...Because inhuman amounts of pain and trouble always seem to come his way. Around Jack, things always seem to get bloody, and he doesn't always escape the chaos unscathed.

Wildcard: It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N Roll)

Invoke: Jack's traveled a lot, but in all the time he's been wandering the world, his goals haven't changed: Find his mother and reunite with her, find his father and uncover his identity, and find his heritage and earn his right to it. And he won't stop till he gets there.
Compel: It's a hell of a lot of work for one guy. He's bound to get robbed, stoned, beat up, broken-boned, had and took, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's harder than it looks, being a godchild, but that's the price you pay for greatness. It's a long way to the top, after all.

---

Skills:

Superb (+5): Godsblood (Fight)
Great (+4): Rapport, Deceit
Good (+3): Athletics, Will
Fair (+2): Stealth, Physique
Average (+1): Notice, Investigate

Stunts:

Number One With A Bullet: It's hard to come out on top against someone who has unlimited potential for greatness (in theory, at least). When you make a roll, you may replace one fudge die with a d6, adding the die's result to your total. You may use this stunt once per scene free of charge, paying a cumulative Fate Point for each subsequent use.

I'M BACK!: You've really got a flair for the dramatic, don't you? Once per Milestone, you may enter a scene you were not originally a part of, no matter how unlikely your arrival would be. At your option, you may also spend a Fate Point to place an Aspect on the scene, representing the dramatic impact of your introduction on it.

Don't Try To Push Your Luck, Just Get Out Of My Way!: People know better than to cross you when you get serious. You may add the trappings of Provoke to Godsblood, but any use of it beyond simple trash-talk causes you to be bound by your nature for a scene.

Thunderstruck: Your efforts always leave people in awe. Whenever you do something showy and impressive and get a Boost, you may upgrade it to a Situation Aspect with a free invoke, representing the impact of your action on those witnessing it.

High Voltage: Nothing happens by half-measures with you. Whenever you propose or receive a Compel, you can choose to escalate it, increasing the gravity of the situation dramatically and your Fate Point payout by one. The GM is encouraged to let his imagination run wild when you push an escalated compel forward. If you want them, you'll have to earn those Fate Points!

---

Extras

Might of the Gods posted:

Godsblood

Permissions: Must have an Aspect related to your godly heritage.
Cost: 1 Stunt or Refresh, Any number of Skill Points.

Divine power courses through your veins. You could be the child of a deity or merely a distant descendant, but whatever the case may be, you're marked for greatness and a life of danger. Will you learn to use the power within you to rise to the level of your ancestor, or will all you could have been be taken away from you by this ruthless world?

Overcome: Your divine heritage is naturally responsive to other sources of power, allowing you to perceive other divine entities, major demons and artifacts by concentrating intently enough. If you need to overcome a danger that could be neautralized by your heritage (such as a cup that hurts those who touch it who are not of high birth), you can also use Godsblood for that.

Create An Advantage: You can use Godsblood to create Aspects like Spark of Divinity on yourself as you see fit for almost any purpose, and may occasionally even be able to use Godsblood to create Scene Aspects as well. There's a catch to this trapping's limitless applicability, though: Every time you Invoke an Aspect created with it, your divine nature intensifies to a fever pitch, meaning you cannot perform any actions that would go against it, no matter how much you would be penalized by such strict adherence. This isn't a compel, either, so you don't get any Fate Points for it. Sorry!

Attack: Godsblood can't really be used to attack by itself, unless for some reason you are thrown into a competition between gods (in which case, good luck. You'll need it).

Defense: The same goes for defending, unless something would directly target your divine essence.

Special: Each godchild has something he or she excels at. When you take Godsblood, pick one skill from the skill list. It gains all the trappings of that skill, in addition to the above. Note that these trappings don't overlap, but rather are seperate. You don't become bound by your divine nature every time you try to smooth-talk someone! Lastly, Godsblood has a unique ability: By spending a Fate Point, your divine power surges within you, allowing your immortal grace to substitute for any other skill for one roll. You become bound by your nature afterwards, so be careful. Relying on your divine blood too much may just get you out of the frying pan only to drive you right into the fire.

---

Stress

Physical Stress: OOOO
Mental Stress: OOOOO

Refresh: 1

Transient People fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 18, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The Rat FP 3/3 Stress: OOO/OOO

The Rat smiled. Already some brave and valiant warriors were getting ready to fit those miserable hounds for him. Well, he'd chip in. Probably. Just not face to jowls. It didn't look like any of them had noticed him yet, which is just how he liked it; if they didn't see him in a crowd, the beasts (hopefully) didn't, either. So far the crowd was beating a hasty retreat...until they got a fair enough distance to feel safe but still watch the fight. The Rat smiled even broader as he subtly snatched a few rubber-lumps from a sudden entrepreneur, popped them in his mouth, and noted the odds as a nearby landlord began running a book. The absolute chaos of terror and entertainment; a sea of faces.

They'd never see him coming.

Stealth Aspect: "Another Face in the Crowd": 4dF+5 4

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 18, 2014

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus

A giant of a man quite possibly his equal in a fight and a lithe man with a cockiness that speaks of his supposed prowess.

"O glorious Fate, thou dost know thy audience."

He let out a rumbling chuckle, "Very well then young squire! Although, thou may find it difficult to fight against those already slain! To battle!"

Aengus charged into the fray.

pre:
Aspects: Chivalry First and Foremost (2 tags)
Stress
Mental:   OOOO

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

"We deal with the servants of a necromancer, armored one. Those slain can still wound deep," he said grimly.

Drawing his sword, he broke into a run, heavy boots pounding the street as he shouted a wordless cry of fury and strength.

"Come, beasts! Your master could not slay me, and neither can you!"

I'm gonna roll Provoke once I get Orokos open, but basically I'm trying to get them all focused on me. If it's possible, I'd also like to use Athletics or Physique (whichever is more appropriate) to bull-rush them.

Provoke: 4dF+4 7

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 19, 2014

knaelidos
Dec 29, 2012

Victoria Sac'rel

It wasn't the nicest city, for sure. But due to its hecticness, there was rarely any problems acting inconspicuously as she travelled between the library where she takes time to read up on the local lore, and the bars where she lodges and finds work at. The silks stalls typically offered interesting tapestries and the like as well. She rarely has to deal with cutpurses since the first one ended up exsanguinated in a damp alley between buildings.

She was reading up in Wick's library, where she heard of the frantic news of Sotha Demontongue. Of course it'd be Sotha of all things, she never should've taken that job to clear out one of his dens of monsters. Sure the pay was nice, but it caused her to come across him. Another madman experimenting on people. It was a worse mistake still, when she demonstrated her 'gift'. Now I'm not sure if he wants to kill me or capture me and then kill me.

She puts the book gingerly onto the table and then scrolls out of the building, where she saw a battle in progress. Seeing the monstrosities where her eyes widen and then narrows. She draws her sword and then steels herself for the battle ahead. "I really wished there weren't spectators."

Rolling will to create advantage: Composed and in control
Will: 4d3+4: 0, 0, +1 +1 = 6

knaelidos posted:

Victoria Sac'rel

High Concept: Witchblade of sac'haris
Invoke: She understand the lore of sorcerers, learned of rituals where blood or violence is involved.
Compel: Has strong obligation to adhere to the traditions of her village, especially on nights of the new moon.

Trouble: Parasitic lifeform
Invoke: Living a good chunk of life with her 'companion', has helped her learn of techniques to handle it.
Compel: Anyone who sees her exposed back anything are alerted to the fact that she is a monster.

Background: imprisoned in thorns
Invoke: Since the incident, she can find it easier to deal with human shaped monstrosities.
Compel: She finds it hard to socialise with people in general.

Lore:Woven in thorns (and fate)
Invoke: When terms are amicable between the two, she finds it easier to tap into the powers of Chol'valix
Compel: She will have to avoid having banishment magic, and occasionally do what is asked of her by chol'valix

Wildcard: Tainted historian
Invoke: She usually knows of public knowledge of even the most obscure groups.
Compel: There's a reason they are obscure though, and some sleeping dogs are best left alone.

Skills:
5: Lore
4: Will
3: Deceive, Stealth
2: Notice, Fight, Athletics
1: Empathy, Provoke, Contacts, Physique

Mental: O O O
Physical: O O O

Refresh: 2

Stunts:
Riot of the Blood: There's a demon inside you. Sometimes, a situation is so dire you just have to throw caution to the wind and let him loose. Spend a Fate Point and roll a Will check against a Thorns check made by the demon.
You gain access to all of the demon's stunts for a number of rounds equal to the shifts you beat the Thorns check by, and also place a Bloodlust Aspect on yourself with a free invoke. Afterward, however, your demon starts to run amok, and you lose control of your character until the end of the scene, at which point you check your smallest unfilled Consequence slot.
Blood filter: In the rare time when victoria gets poisoned, she has the option of letting the demonic energy flow though her body temporarily, which is both agonizing and uncomfortable, but because of it
Victoria can roll will instead of physique for toxins, poisons and the such.
Blood Money: You've got a grim reputation, and a stellar track record of selling your sword to the highest bidder. When you need money to buy something, you can produce the necessary amount on the spot, but generate the Story Aspect Mercenary Mission: (Mission Name), indicating that this is just down payment money for an appropriately dangerous (or safe, depending) job.
Traveler's Lore: You know all there is to know about...well, everyone who even remotely matters, really. When discussing a group of any importance, you can spend a Fate Point and roll Lore, uncovering a number of Aspects and important pieces of information concerning that group equal to your result.

Chol'valix
Power: 7
Resentment: O
Need: Blood
Desire: Violence

Skills:
5: Blood thorns*
4: Athletics, Physique, Fight
3: Provoke, Will, Empathy
2: Stealth, Crafts, Investigate
1: Deceive, Notice, Burglary

Stunts
Every Rose Has Its Thorns: You can summon an armor of defensive thorns to protect you from attacks. When you succeed with style on a defense against a melee attack, you can choose to inflict a two-stress shift on your attacker instead of gaining a boost.
Up The Cadence: Calling you fast is like calling a glacier slow. It might be true, but it doesn't even come close to describing just how quick on your feet you can be. You can move two additional zones as a free action on each turn.
Thorn Spray: You can fire off bloody thorns, which rip through your enemies. You can roll Physique to attack enemies from up to two zones away with a +2 bonus.
In The Blood. Blood is life, and life is full of passion. When you touch someone else's blood, you can discern their current emotional state, so long as the blood is still fresh.
Bloodhunter: You crave blood. It's like a powerful drug to you, and you've learned to look for it better to satisfy your addiction. You can perceive blood from up to fifty feet away, even through obstructions such as walls or liquids.
Via Dolo Rosa: You don't care what happens to those around you, so long as those you hate die. Once per scene, spend a Fate Point and make a Fight (or your main attack skill here, edit this according to Victoria's skills) attack against all of your allies, PCs and NPCs alike. For each ally you hit, one enemy of your choice takes a Consequence automatically. You can stack Consequence inflictions, but instead of inflicting multiple Consequences, step up the inflicted Consequence one degree per additional application, to a maximum of a Severe Consequence.
Rise of the Thorns: By embedding a massive thorn into an enemy like a harpoon and then sinking into the earth, you can leverage your own body as a slingshot with which to hold enemies at bay. Make an attack against an enemy any number of zones away using Physique. On a hit, you can move the enemy a number of zones equal to your roll result, even upwards if you so desire (where they remain held by you until you choose to drop them or they make an Overcome action to break free). Until you drop your enemy, you can't take any actions to move, as you literally root yourself to the ground to act as an anchor.

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Fight In The Town Square

Town Square Environmental Aspects: Busted Shops, Heart of Commerce, Oh God Help Us Panic

Indeed, the scene is chaos. Wooden shops have their doors and walls blasted to splinters, fine woven tents dashed and torn on the side. The goods they once contained are cast to the side, alongside several of the poor souls who have been slain in the creature's mad pursuit. Those that have not already fled are busying themselves with doing so, their scrambling and screaming adding to the chaos.

There the creatures are, slinking about the square, on the prowl for their next prey. One of them stands over the corpse of a man clothed in bloody silk, feasting on his spilled entrails. As the group of fighters blast into the streets, the terrible creatures rear their heads up and face them. Almost immediately, the creatures flash the rows of teeth in their frighteningly humanoid faces. For a moment, they grin in anticipation and glee that is unnatural for an animal to possess. Their cruelly bladed tails flicked like a snake. They let out a jeering roar almost in unison. They had found their prey.

Man-Faced Lion
Aspects: Unnatural Predator, Cunning Pack

At first, the crusader had caught the man-faced lions' eyes. However, the Northern barbarian quickly arrested their attention, and was soon rewarded by two of the things charging after him. One tripped before it reached him, but the other quickly dove to Jaxus's side, the both of them diving to the man's ankles with jaws wide open. A third man-faced lion that was off a ways charged towards Aengus's side, flying through the air with a pounce and a flash of sharpened talons. The fourth stays back, prowling about and eyeing the group with a predator's eyes.

----
Jaxus, I'd say that you Succeeded With Style (and gain the I AM YOUR MARK! boost) on that because...
<Krysmbot> AlanWhats, /+++ = 3 Yeah there was no way these guys were gonna make their roll to resist that provoke.

Victoria, you also get Success With Style, which gives your advantage two free invokes.

The Rat, you get a success. It's really pretty drat easy what with the things getting overturned and all. There isn't so much a crowd as there is a flock of stampeding sheep.

Also Jaxus, you can totally do some bull-rushing in response to this.
Now, Enemy rolling:
Man-Faced Lion 1: Creating an Advantage at Jaxus with a stunt that gives him +2 <Krysmbot> AlanWhats, /---+4 = 1 HAHAHAHAHAHA
Man-Faced Lion 2: Same as above <Krysmbot> AlanWhats, /-+/+4 = 4
Man-Faced Lion 3: Attacking Aengus <Krysmbot> AlanWhats, +-/++3 = 4
Man-Faced Lion 4: Tries to prowl around and set things up <Krysmbot> AlanWhats, /+--+1 = 0 Can't see poo poo

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Lilina Pent
It was supposed to be a simple job. Go in, kill some bastard, get out. Of course, that bastard had to be working for a loving necromancer. Apparently in some sort of important, or personal, capacity, too.

Goddamn wizards. When will they learn not to gently caress with me? Well. Probably never, since she never left them alive to carry on the message.

"Alright, it looks like we're in this together. Try not to get in my way, and if I tell you to do something, do it." Would they listen? Probably not. They had no reason to, this far from her homeland. But maybe one or two would recognize just who these 'animals' had decided to gently caress with. A fatal mistake, on the necromancer's part.

The blades on either end of her staff shone in the light. Lilina twirled it in an intricate arc, less showing off and more loosening her muscles. Then she charged, slicing at the nearest monster.

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK: 4dF+5 2

I am going to spend a fate point to REROLL

REROLL ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK: 4dF+5 7

MUCH BETTER

Fate Points Left: 3

Esser-Z posted:

Lilina Pent, the Grey Bear, is a tall, strong woman, typically wearing a long grey coat over simple clothing. She is not unattractive by any means, though scarred, but her eyes bear a dangerous set. Her weapon of choice is the bladestaff, carried in a case slung over her back. Like the name suggests, it resembles a long staff, terminating in cold steel at either end. Rarely, however, is this the only weapon she carries.

Aspects:

High Concept: Battlemaster
Lilina has led a lifetime of violence, and in that time she has honed her craft to perfection. A master with any weapon she touches, few can stand against her in combat. Beyond mere bloodshed, the Grey Bear is an adept tactician and strategist, skilled at guiding soldiers and campaigns to a bloody, but victorious, completion. Once she fought for a cause, but now her blade is for hire, and many would do well to pay the price.

Invoke: To lead in combat, to fight with incredible skill, to see her enemies driven before her and hear the lamentations of their women.
Compel: Be recognized by an old enemy, become involved in somebody else’s cause

Trouble: Legacy of Blood
The Grey Bear has lived a life of violence; this has not left her unaffected. Battle comes as her first instinct, even if it may not be the most appropriate, and when startled or uncertain she is likely to slip into a military mindset. Furthermore, she is haunted by those left behind, and some of those who fell to her blade. These mental scars fade no more readily than her physical markings.

Invoke: React promptly to a threat, utilize a stratagem from her past
Compel: Spring into violence, sleep poorly, see the ghost of another in somebody

Background: Fallen General
Lilina Pent, the Grey Bear, has a storied history. Born in the former Northern States, she learned the arts of the smith from her father, and the sword from her grandfather. As a youth she joined and came to lead a town guard, before leaving to join the armies of Barholm the Conqueror. Lilina rose rapidly through the ranks; she became Barholm’s most reliable general, and it was by her hand that the North was united under his banner.
The glory was not to last. Barholm was paranoid of a great general overthrowing him, as his own father had come to the throne, and so set his agents to eliminate her. Lilina survived the attack—the assassins did not—and left the now-hostile Northern Empire with a small band of loyal followers. They scattered, pursued by the half-mad Barholm, forming the seeds of a information network that serves Lilina well in her mercenary career.

Invoke: Impress with past victories, plan and execute campaigns, call with personal agents across civilization
Compel: Accost with Barholm’s loyalists, bring back painful memories of home, tempt into leading an army against the Northern Empire

Lore:
Immaculate Quartermaster
True to her roots, Lilina makes a habit of having a personal presence in the maintaining and making of her gear, keeping the cogs of war well oiled. As such, others tend to overlook her, mistaking her for a common soldier.

Invoke: employ exemplary equipment, manage supplies and logistics, craft gear
Compel: Snubbed through mistaken identity, distracted by craft, eternally busy

Aspect:
Pent’s Professionals
Built from a core of loyal Northerners, Pent’s Professionals are Lilina’s personal armed forces. They have served as a mercenary unit in several struggles, typically victoriously; their service does not come cheap. When not deployed, the Professionals bunk in the fortress Greyhall, won in an early campaign.

Invoke: reinforcements, local information network, financial resources
Compel: duty to the unit, contracted for war, grudge-bearing foes

Skills:
5: Fight
4: Crafts
3: Physique, Will
2: Rapport, Athletics, Shoot,
1: Lore, Notice, Provoke, Contacts

Stress Tracks:
Physical: [][][][][]
Mental: [][][][][]
Consequences: Mild, Moderate, Severe

Refresh: 4

Stunts:
Impossible Speed: You can defend against a Shoot attack with Fight.

Shrug it Off: Remove a mild consequence or make a will test to ignore a moderate consequence?

Mind of Steel: Whenever you have time to prepare a plan to deal with a situation, you may spend a Fate Point and roll your Will, creating a number of Aspects with a free invoke equal to your roll result (to a minimum of 1), providing a number of extra invocations of preexisting Aspects up to your roll result, or a mixture of both. All new Aspects must have a justifiable basis, and each extra invocation of an Aspect must utilize a new facet or layered use within the plan to be allowed.

Questions:

What has wronged you? Emperor Barholm, who rewarded victory with death, or so attempted.
What do you love? Victory, the flow of command, the ferocity of battle, women
What have you sworn? Responsibility to and for my troops; to uphold my contract
What do you fear? That by serving Barholm I created a hell for my people.
What do you seek? A place I can one day retire in peace, but first I consider vengeance against my old master.

Gonna write up some short prose to go with her, too.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 20, 2014

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus

"Very well then mine foe! Strike me with - Oof!"

The man-lion pounced on Aengus, knocking him to the ground. While a lesser man may have been hurt, Aengus's stout armor and years of combat experience allowed him to negate the impact of the fall. Didn't stop him from being on the ground, though.

Fight defense vs Man-Lion 3: 4dF+4 4 That's a tie, giving it the boost "He's Down!"

"Fool! Thou hast exposed thy weakness!" He thrust his longsword towards the Man-Lion's exposed underbelly...

Attack Man-Lion 3 (on the ground): 4dF+4 3 Well that sucked. Better use a free tag for a +2. That gives me a Superb (+5) attack.

After all, that's what knights do. Slay foul beasts like this one!

pre:
Aspects: Chivalry First and Foremost (1 tag)
Boosts: He's Down! (Man-Lion 3/against)
Stress

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 21, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

"Seems like everybody's got a bone to pick with these things." Was this a party I'd missed the invitation too? There were six of us against the four mutts now. Poor bastards didn't stand a chance...

...Or maybe things weren't going to turn out as easy as I thought they would. The big guy seemed to be just as competent as he looked, but it had only taken a few seconds for the Tin Man to be knocked flat on his rear end. Talked a good game, couldn't quite back it up. At least he wasn't likely to get chewed up too badly, considering how heavily armored he was. Seemed like it was all on me to get the mutts' attention and give him some time to recover. One of them had strayed from the pack. I stopped it dead in its tracks with a warning slash.

"Let's play a game, Chomper. When I say Jump, you jump. When I say Roll, you roll. And when I say down, boy, STAY DOWN!"

I hit it with the flat of the blade. It decided to do its best impression of a tumbleweed and ended up slamming its head against the wall of a nearby house. I didn't wait for it to recover to call its pals out.

"You're part of the game too, fleabags! Stop sharpening your teeth on your new chew toy and come play!"

Opening with a standard Fight attack, because why not. Roll is an incredibly :effort: +5 (////), but the hound defends so badly that it gives me a Success With Style anyway. Taking it and improving the Boost with Thunderstruck into the situation Aspect God Eat Dog to get the mutts' attention. I'll Invoke For Effect if need be to get them all on Jack, but it shouldn't be necessary. Let's see how they handle this! :getin:

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus
Stress:
Physical O O O O O
Mental O O O O O
Consequences [ ] [ ] [ ]
Refresh: 3/4

The man-lions dive at the barbarian's ankles, and he leaps, mighty muscles carrying him high into the air and far enough away from the beasts to turn on his heels and snarl a Northern oath against them.

Athletics vs. Man-Lion 1: 4dF+5 3

Athletics vs. Man-Lion 2: 4dF+5 5

His fury made known, he charges forth, bodily slamming into the man-lions with all the force he can muster, his sword slashing a great swath through both as he sends them flying into a broken-down storefront, the wreckage cutting and rending at the beasts that slam into it.

Invoking Broken Shops for +2 to the Fight roll to smash up some man-lions.

Fight vs. Man-Lions 1/2: 4dF+7 8

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 21, 2014

knaelidos
Dec 29, 2012
Watching the battle, he takes note of the knight on his back and the beast there as well. Coaxing chol'valix to awake "what is this time, another thief?" Victoria thinks to her partner "actually, we're being attacked by another abomination. Now come on, we got work to do." Chol'valix just says "Just as long as you allow me to eat afterwards." She smiles as the all too familiar feeling of burning pain as chol'valix spreads throughout her body.

She then bursts towards the third beast, leaping and delivering a flying kick to get the beast off Aengus.
Invoking chol'valix's fight skill Fight: +6(++-+) Invoking imprisoned in thorns to give it a +2 boost, using the emotions of the traumatic event to take down the abominations to make it +8 to strike.

Sending it skidding and tumbling a small while away. Victoria pursues the third demon.

quote:

Victoria Sac'rel
Stress:
Physical: OOOO

Consequences: None so far
Refresh: 1/2

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Aislin grinned as more people joined in the fighting. One, two, three, four, five... A proper adventuring party indeed! She'd have been even more excited had she noticed The Rat, but he was still busy skulking about.

She climbed up on top of an abandoned apple-cart and planted her javelin like a flag, then cupped her hands to her mouth and yelled to the fighters.

"Och! Look at the lot of ye, beatin' the puss out of a bunch of man-kittens! Who'll catch the mice in Sotha's cellars?" She laughed as Jack swatted one into the side of a building. "Who'll lay on the rug in front of the branding fire? Who'll scratch on the rack's wooden posts?"

She was starting to draw their attention, which was exactly what she wanted. "What's wrong ye bloody great house pets? Ye have the faces of men but not the speech? Cat got your tongue?"

---

Placing "Insufferable Insults" on the man-lion pack as a distraction. Anyone can use this tag(s).
Provoke: <Krysmbot> mistaya, +++- +5 = 7

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

As the valiant and proud warriors all make their strikes, The Rat...does nothing. He munches on a rubber lump, makes a casual bet with one of the bookies.

...And now that the hounds were INJURED, he leaps out suddenly, blade flashing, and burying it into the hide of one of the noq weakened beasts!

BACKSTAB!: 4dF+4 5
Tagging Another Face in the Crowd to make that 7. Counts as Weapon 2 due to BACKSTAB! I'll be attacking whatever hound is most injured, and if it would help I'm tagging any consequences it has

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 24, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Your tags are borked, Cirno. Also, who and/or what are we waiting on for an update?

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Fight (Ha) In The Town Square

Ah, alright, where to start.

The two man-faced lions that were unfortunate enough to dive after Jaxus never stood a chance. The resounding crack that emanated from the lions' bodies echoed through the square. The lions were tossed to the side like broken dolls, slapping against the ruins of the shops. Their bodies slumped to the dirt, having died on impact. Their tails and back thrashed as their nerves gave their last hiss.

Alas, poor Aengus. He managed to give the lion a decent enough stab at the least. However, the lion was able to swipe back, it's last act of defiance before the inevitable. Suddenly, a most unexpected act happened. This act is namely Victoria running up and then flying foot first from seemingly nowhere straight into the lion's ribcage. Bones snapped and dislocated as the lion was hurtled aside, giving The Rat the opportune moment to strike. Before the lion could register the pain, The Rat plunged his dagger into its spine, a burst of blood and air and the death spasms signaling that the lion had perished.

Unfortunately, Jack's bravado fell on now deaf ears. Though he did a fine job smacking the lion about, breaking most of the poor thing's face in the process, it was finished off by a finely timed stab of Lilina's bladed staff. The lion's blood splattered across the walls and the dirt, crimson blood marked black with gods know what foul experiments that Sotha had performed on the creature.

A small note: Victoria, at this point all that blood looks really compelling, from the lions to the unfortunate innocents who got in the rampage. However, I'm not going to compel that need yet since...well, you'll see in a moment.

The crowd stops for a moment, gawking at the display of martial prowess that just transpired. Most have an expression trapped between fear and shock as they wonder just what in the hells they are to do now.

Okay, I just want you to know that I have never been shat on by the dice more than I have now.
Also please tell me which dude you're attacking and such in your rolls I would really appreciate that.

Now, Lilina defense (Lion 4): <Krysmbot> AlanWhat, --+/+2 = 1 Invoking Body of a Lion to reroll <Krysmbot> AlanWhat, /-//+2 = 1 gently caress.
Aengus Defense: <Krysmbot> AlanWhat, +-+++2 = 4
Attack on Aengus: <Krysmbot> AlanWhat, ---++3 = 1 I AM SCRATCHING YOU YOU SON OF A BITCH (Invoking Body of a Lion to reroll) <Krysmbot> AlanWhat, --+/+3 = 2 Cashing in He's Down! to get 4 on that.
And then that lion gets Divekick'd: <Krysmbot> AlanWhat, //-/+2 = 1 Invoking Body of a Lion again to make it 3.
Now for the two that got freight train'd by Jaxus: <Krysmbot> AlanWhat, /---+2 = -1, <Krysmbot> AlanWhat, --/-+2 = -1
...I don't...I don't even...
(also defense versus Jack <Krysmbot> AlanWhats, +--++2 = 2)
And then The Rat showed up and the lion died: <Krysmbot> AlanWhat, -/-/+2 = 0

pre:
Man-Faced Lion 1: Congratulations Jaxus, it's dead.
2: Congratulations Jaxus, it's dead.
3: Congratulations Aengus, Victoria, The Rat, it's dead.
4: Congrats Jack and Lilina, it's dead.
Congrats Aislin, you insulted some dead manticores.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus

His sword struck home! Of course, a Man-Lion has a tough body, and having it blasted sideways while your weapon is lodged in is likely to give even the most stalwart of men a good jostle. It also makes keeping a hold on said weapon very difficult. Aengus's sword joined the Man-Lion on his unexpected flight.

Defense against a dying Man-Lion! (Fight): 4dF+4 2 That's two stress. Fine, first party blood is mine.

Aengus quickly rose to his feet, having little trouble righting himself even in the heavy armor. Getting a good look at the person who helped him, he smiled a brilliant smile below his helmet, "It is an honor, my lady, to have the pleasure of fighting alongside such a glorious being. May I be so bold as to ask for your name?"

pre:
Stress
Physical: OXOOO

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"You're supposed to look good before you try to woo her, Romeo." That guy was going to end up really sad, one way or another. Better to get shot down by a heckler than by the girl he was trying to impress. And speaking of impressive...

"Nice work, by the way." Swapping my sword from my right to my left, I offered the dame with the blade-staff a handshake. "Beat me to the punch there. Seems like necromancers don't make their minions like they used to, do they?"

knaelidos
Dec 29, 2012
Before getting the chance to finish the man-lion off, she just watched as a shadowy figure appear from nowhere, stabbed the weakened beast in the spine, then promptly disappearing, she turns around and saw the scenery, of broken bodies and battered stalls, the tapestries were a shadow of their former selves. To which the voice rudely interjects "I have to say, this is an improvement, don't you think so? So are we going to eat, now?" Victoria just thinks a brief message "later"

Turning to the knight who's just corrected his stance, spoke and showed a glowing smile which just seems to irritate Victoria. She just turned and said "I was just in the right place at the right time and managed to get a lucky strike in. I'm just a travelling scholar." She said while pulling her sleeves to cover her hands, adjusting her hood.

quote:

Victoria Sac'rel
Advantages:Composed and in control Free invokes: O O
Stress:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus

"Ah, but... tch!" He shook his head. If anyone could see beneath his visor, they would see the glare he was giving the kid with the lithe build and giant sword.

"Pardon my manners, my lady scholar. I am Sir Aengus, Knight-Errant. A pleasure to make your acquaintance," he gave a flourish and a bow, "Now, if you would be so kind as to pardon me, I must retrieve my weapon."

pre:
Stress

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

The Rat is wiping off his sword when he seemingly just appears next to the others.

"So, ah...you get attacked by horrible sorcerous beasts often?"

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 25, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

Jaxus grins, his hard face seeming almost incapable of doing so.

"None can stand before the Son of Oberon, haha!"

He approaches the smaller, mouthy one.

"So, bold words from one so small, but you back up your boasts. And you, spearwoman - impressive form! I am reminded of soldiers I knew once, from the North. I am Jaxus, of Clan Magnusson. What are you called?"

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Lilina Pent

Lilina twirls her staff, then wipes it clean, smiling. "Well. That was quick. Good show, lads and lasses."

As Jaxus speaks, her smile falters slightly, but only for a moment. "Aye, that would be where I learned." A look at his face, in combination with the professed clan... Lilina laughs loudly, then claps him on the shoulder.

"Yours is a strong clan, my friend, though it would be stronger with your presence. I am Lilina Pent, called Grey Bear. If you are half as good as your kin, you'll be a fine friend and ally indeed."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

"Better than my kin, Grey Bear. I am the Son of Oberon, rightful heir to my clan, and I shall return home soon. My people need me. Tell me, Grey Bear, in your travels have you seen much of my clan? How do they fare?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Aislin retrieved her javelin, with two apples speared upon it, and dropped a flat coin into the cart for the seller. Then she hopped down, walking over to the group.

"Tch, don't go self-congratulating now, lads. The kittens be dead, but their master is another matter. What have ye to say of Sotha Demontongue? He's terrorized common folk and better for long enough. Someone should get to doing something about him."

She unspeared the spare apple and tossed it to the Rat. "And I'm thinking you lot are just the sort to get it done right."

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Lilina

"Aye, I thought you looked familiar." Memories flash through her mind. Fighting side by side with a hard woman, then something a good deal more intimate. She smiles, with a tinge of sadness. "Your sister is a good woman, in her way. I did right by them in my time, and they by me, but I have not been... home for some while. I fear that those close to me may be treated poorly, these days."

She sighs. "Aye, your return would do well for your people."

Then, a glance to Aislin. "The war goes on, but still the battle is won, and that is worthy of a cheer or three. I'm more than willing to bring the fight to this Demontongue."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus

"A foul villain such as Demontongue must be put down!" Aengus calls from where the Man-Lion holding his sword lay slain. He retrieves his sword with one fluid motion and wipes the blade on the lion's mane. It isn't a perfect job, but this sword had seen worse.

"You'd think he'd have learned that his plans go awry more often than not. Grasping our attention cannot be the best course of action for him. Methinks he is something of an imbecile." Aengus gives a hearty chuckle at that, "And above all, there are seven of us and one of him, no? If these are the allies he can muster, he stands not a chance against our combined might!"

pre:
Stress

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Hey, this is all well and good, but if you're going after a wizard, you're going to need someone who can slip through unseen and remove certain threats and traps that would be heroes have a tendency to blunder into. Luckily, I happen to know someone perfect at the job. And he offers incredibly low rates, too!"

knaelidos
Dec 29, 2012
(Sorry for the lateness)
Victoria Sac'rel

Victoria was just standing to the side, watching the group talk amongst themselves. She said "As much as he would be better dead than alive, I have to say I'm a little suspicious of our odds, and I'm not going to be captured by him, I don't think anyone would enjoy that." She cringes a little from her already ample experience. She continues "It's true that he underestimated us, but we can't go on doing the same." Surely she can't be the only one speaking sense in this group.

quote:

Victoria Sac'rel
Advantages: Composed and in control Free invokes: O O
Stress:

knaelidos fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 2, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

"Sotha Demontongue and I have business yet to attend to. I shall be more than happy to spill his vile blood once again."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Seems like everybody had a bone to pick with the necromancer at this point. I may as well throw my hat in the ring, too: There were lines you couldn't cross, and sending in hellhounds to rip a little town to shreds was one of them. It shouldn't take long to put him in his place.

"Count me in then. Seems like Sotha could use a lesson." Looking at the big guy, I offered him a hand. "So you've had business with him before? How'd that go? My name's Jack, by the way. Pleasure to meet you, Jaxus."

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

Town Square

As our newly forming band acquaints themselves with each other, new sounds can be heard in the distance. The sound of steel boots come from further in the square. A band of the Sehllini Guard comes marching this way, with one of the Sehllini apparently in tow. More pressing, however, are the strange sounds of disturbed birds and wailing horses and growling cats crawling into hearing. The civilians once again look up, confused and rattled from the previous onslaught. They look just about ready to flee again at the first sight of trouble. A shame too, they had just started to file back to where they were in some semblance of life as usual.

Trouble always comes to those that expect it in these days. Suddenly there are sounds of wood cracking and bone snapping. The animal sounds rise to a crescendo almost in unison, and with it a wave of feet and hooves clapping against the earth. Soon the source is made plain, as around the corner comes a horde of animals seemingly driven mad. Animals freed from a traveling carnival, horses broken out of the nearby stable, flocks of exotic birds once put on display for anyone with coin, even large predatory cats and dogs find themselves within the horde. Amazingly, they are all directed in one powerful force by one equally savage man.

There stands Gulg, the beast, with whip in hand and tanned fur cloak over his head. Shameless, he wears nothing else but a loin cloth and the scattered remnants of whatever disguise he was made to wear. This creature once knew humanity, but forsake it in favor of the beasts he felt such kinship with. In fact, so much did he see himself in the beasts that it is said he replaced parts of his own body with those of his favorite pets. None know for certain how far this twisted act was taken, or how scarred he is from the procedure.

Clinging desperately to the beast-man's arm is a pitiful creature. The man seems to be no better than a common thief, one that has found himself in a situation far over his ken. He clings to Gulg's arm in a vain attempt to steer him back, as if he were trying to hide the beast who had loosed himself like this. His voice is drowned out by the roar of the enraged animals before him, and is flung to the ground for his trouble. Rather than try to reason further, the scoundrel scurries off like a worm in hopes of saving himself. Gulg cracks his whip thrice and thrice more, bellowing curses in a drooling mockery of nature's tongue.

You can hear a man bark from the middle of the Guard, "YOU FOOLS! GET BACK WITH YOU! STAMPEDE!" They immediately set about the business of directing the fleeing crowd, positioning themselves between the civilians and the oncoming horde of maddened animals. Still, there are those who are slow, and those who would be roused from their preoccupation with their loved ones now slain. What is one to do in this time?

Freed Animal Horde
Aspect: Gone Wild

Gulg, The Beast
Aspects: Self-Made Beastman, Savage Posture

Rolling Provoke to create an advantage "Sound the Stampede" <Krysmbot> AlanWhats, +/-/+4 = 4

Everyone has a turn to do something before impact. Also, basically everyone who is inclined to save somebody with their aspects, I'm compelling you right now. If you accept, you can try and save the day, but you'll be first in line for the trampling. The choice is yours.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aengus

Compelling Chivalry First and Foremost.

Thank your deity of choice that most of the people could get out of the way. It would be tough saving all of them, but just a few? Not an issue at all!

"What ho! It appears we have company. Pardon me, I have something to attend to."

And with that, Aengus bolted for a few of the stragglers, moving with a speed that seems impossible in his heavy armor. One of these days, he'll learn to do this with a plan.

Athletics vs Stampede: 4dF+3 3
I'd assume this gets me there in time, but I don't think I'll have time to DO anything before impact.

pre:
FP: 2 + 1 = 3
Stress

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The Rat FP 4/3 Stress: OOO/OOO

The Rat nimbly began to dodge out of the way...before spying, out of the corner of his eye, someone caught in the way. Her dress had SOMEHOW gotten wedged between the uneven cobblestones. The Rat tried to ignore her and began getting away...until she turned and he caught her face.

drat the gods. Of course she'd be fetching.

Groaning inwardly, the Rat nimbly lept in the opposite direction, pushing her out of the way - ensuring he wouldn't be making quite the escape he wanted.

Consider Lady Troubles compelled!

Acrobatics: 4dF+3 1
What the gently caress is with me and rolling 1's in this god forsaken system?

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

I'll take a Compel on Barbarian Heir with no Clan, considering it would be the noble and kingly thing to do to save people.

Jaxus stared into the horde of animals, and looked Gulg the Beast straight in the eyes. Here was a man who sought the strength of animals and took it through foul rites instead of reverence to the spirits. He would bleed in Wolf's name this night.

But more pressing things required Jaxus' attention. A young child, no more than four winters' age, and a young woman that was no doubt his mother, sprawled out in the street, her body shielding his as the animals drew closer. The child looked out, and screamed.

"Help us!"

And Jaxus answered. A bull charged, horns already slick with blood, at the two citizens, as Jaxus rapidly interposed himself between the beast and the people, braced for the impact.

If this Beast wanted to see strength, Jaxus would give him a display he would never forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knaelidos
Dec 29, 2012
Victoria Sac'rel

She turned to see people being escorted to safety finally, while there's still stragglers trying to escape from the new threat, she remembered one lesson that she was taught repeatedly, and one easy to take to heart. She started to unwind the arm bindings, her arms showing bulging black veins, it's no time to shy away from everything though. She hated when she had to do this, but have to follow the first rule "protect the herd"

Witchblade of Sac'haris compelled

She then unfastened the cloak and threw it behind her, revealing a tunic and leggings, her feet still bound in wrappings. Then crouching down, you can swear you saw the bandages tighten, her legs swell bigger and then releases at once, shrivelling back to their original form. She has to get to the brunt of it so the civilians get to safety.

Invoking Chol'valix's athletics skill, since it doesn't coordinate with either need or desire, my resentment track is filled.
Athlethics: 4d3+4[/u] = +/++ 7

During the adrenaline, chol'valix chides "If you're going to charge, at least go all out, pierce them all, you anchoring piece of meat."
She just squinted and replied "I get it, you'll get your wish soon enough, just follow my lead for now." She gets the sensation that chol'valix is displeased, from the way he's squirming, sending unnecessary pain as a form of a tantrum.

quote:

Advantages: Composed and in control Free invokes: O O
Stress:
Resentment Track: [X]

Refresh: 2/2

• Locked thread