Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Town Square

The guy who has been kicked in the nuts by the goat is currently leaning against the nearby table. He isn't really in much of a mood to answer Jack's question. Meanwhile, the server who Jaxus winked at and the person trying to shove the cow out of the building are clearly amazed at the prowess before them. Whether that amazement is more fear or awe or arousal is hard to say at the moment.

As the rest of the party finally gathers around the table, Aldo claps his hands and waves over a server. "Fine wine for me and my compatriots, if you please." The server looks around briefly, takes any orders given to her, and then scurries off to do her job. Aldo grins and looks at the lot of you, stroking his beard in the process. "Now, I can imagine you are wondering why I called you here. Well...quite frankly I am rather impressed by your skills, and rather offended at the mess that you had to use your skills on. It is far too unlikely that such a...bombastic riot like what has just happened occurs in this city. We value our neutrality; some would say it is what keeps us alive. Such a violent act within our streets is intolerable, both to the merchants and to those who would buy from our houses. Now, I realize you probably have your own reasons for pursuing this man but...do hear me out."

"Now, there are four Merchant Houses that have come to my attention recently. The present incident has...heightened my interest in these houses. Now, I do not know which house in particular is responsible for housing this criminal and that beast, but I have my suspicions that one of the more...eager of the houses would attempt such a thing. After all, this is quite a lot of mess to clean up after, hm? Quite a lot of potential profit in securing your power. Besides, who knows whether some previously unknown conflict had boiled over and caused such a thing to occur."

"Now, though I have every bit of confidence in the guard's ability to at least try and contain the aftermath, there is some possibility that the instigator could have left. However, it may very well be that he didn't quite prepare for the...giant stampede of animals, and so he may still be somewhere in this city. Perhaps among the underworld, or even the sewer network, if he is desperate or foolish enough."

"All I ask in return is that you acquire the man and bring him to me, so that he may face the justice that he deserves. I will pay an appropriate bounty for this, as well as the bounty for the beast man if there are any available. Now how does this benefit me? Well...I simply request that you inform me of anything you think might be interesting. Perhaps, if you decide to seek reparations yourself, you might see it fit to...assist my house in relieving the stresses that this city has endured. It is, after all, quite expensive to compensate for the damages done. Any assistance would be...much appreciated."

"So, what do you say my friends?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Aengus

"I say 'friends' might be stretching it a bit. 'Partners' perhaps. 'Allies', possibly," Aengus nodded at the server as she set down a large tankard of mead before him, and he drank deeply. No wine for him, although that's some of the better mead he's ever had.

"Not that any of those really fit. But that's not really the point. The point is, you think one of the merchant houses here is housing the man that let that barbarian loose in the city, and you'd like us to take care of him. Considering there's no doubt who he's working for, I think I can get behind such an endeavor."

pre:
FP: 3
Aspects: Knight in Steel Armor (2 tags)
Stress
Physical: OOOO
Mental:   OOOO

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Lilina

Lilina sipped at a dark ale, listening. Wine was well and good for a party or fancy dinner, but this sort of occasion called for a different beverage.

"Merchants have a habit of looking only at the bottom line." She mused after Aldo's speech. "Can't do without them, but watch them carefully. They'll rob you faster than a bandit, though more politely."

The tall woman chuckled. "Aye, I'm willing to risk the ire of a few coin counters for this. The pay doesn't hurt, either."

She grins.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

The big man rumbles with laughter at Lilina's first remark. "A cowherd I'm not, Grey Bear, but it seems they needed some Northern muscle to help them out!"

Listening to the old man speak, he waits for Aengus and Lilina to finish their remarks before he opens his mouth. Finishing a pull from his mead, and sizing up the server (the same one from earlier, in fact) appreciatively as she brings him another, he smiles. "A man who's willing enough to pay for mead is friend enough, in times like these. I'll take your work."

He turns to Lilina. "I do not know much of merchant houses, save that they are houses full of soft men who fear strength. Pray tell, how are we to undertake this task?"

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Lilina
She grinned at Jaxus as they settled down.

Now, she leans back and takes a deep drink. "They find the sort of... dispute settling you and I practice disruptive to their goals, generally. Displays of might hurt business, if they're too obvious. Add a dash of laziness and a superiority complex, and you get the typical merchant scion."

Lilina rubs her chin. "Of course, when you have plenty of money, it's easy to get someone else's strength working for you. But earning loyalty through coin alone has... downsides."

She gives him a predatory grin. "I say we canvas their servants and mercenaries, find some loose tongues. Shouldn't be too difficult, if we're willing to buy a few drinks. Somebody will have seen something that'll lead us to our man."

"After that, we hit him hard and fast. The details will depend on where he's hiding, of course."

The Grey Bear seems somehow more... alive as she strategizes and plans, and her voice carries a tone of authority. Lilina Pent is very much a woman used to this sort of thing.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

"I see. I will follow your lead - I am no diplomat. But when we find this man, I'll cleave his skull to the teeth myself."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The Rat FP 4/3 Stress: OXX/OOO

"As one of said mercenaries, I'll have you know I never rob an employer. We DO have reputations to hold, you know. Either way, simple bounty hunting's something I can do. If'n our target is hiding amongst the nobs and wells, I can't help too much, but if he's amongst the gutters or lower, I can probably play the fields and friends to gather the echos."

knaelidos
Dec 29, 2012
Victoria Sac'rel
((Sorry for the small disappearance, I had a turbulent couple of weeks with family.))

Fading away from the hustle of the inn to correct her cloak, doing a quick cursory check of her arms, before turning up the table. Waiting for the opportunity to say her thoughts. "While I like the sound of finding the person who thought to send monsters after us. I don't really think it'd be wise of me to start picking sides, but say we find the responsible party, and find that connections between them and a well established family, the knowledge will be spread to the families that aren't responsible including, and firstly you of course."

She takes a small breath and then says "as much as I'd like the bounty, I need to keep clients, otherwise I will run into difficulties. I just thought to clear that up and be honest with you there."

quote:

Advantages: Composed and in control Free invokes: X O
Stress:
Physical: OXOO
Mental: OOOO
Resentment Track: []

Consequences: None so far
Refresh: 2/2

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Aislin

The bard sipped at the wine, a small smile playing on her lips. It was a decent vintage, hardly watered down at all. "It's all the same to me, so long as there's coin at the end and steel in the middle somewhere."

Bounty hunting for a merchant was not a particularly interesting tale on its own, but something about Lujen had drawn them all together. Every story started somewhere. Political intrigue could go places. And Sotha was hardly going anywhere.

She scribbled a few notes on a small sheet of parchment and hummed to herself. "It all began in Lujen-town, in Lujen-town 'ere break of dawn... The great stampede ran through the streets, the merchants fleeing there and yon."

It wasn't perfect yet. It'd get there.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Jack Starchild - FP: 1 - Stress: OOOO (P) / OOOOO (M) (-2/-4/-6)

This was a setup. 'Profit in securing your power'...I'd seen enough crooks in my life tell when somebody was running a con, but it didn't matter. For now, playing along wasn't too much of a bad call. Worst case scenario, we could get back at this guy if he tried to double-cross us. Nobody like him would want a guy as big as Jaxus to feel crossed.

"I'm in. So what can you tell us about these houses then?"

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Laughing Merchant Inn (why the hell have i been marking this Town Square)

"Fair enough!" Aldo claps, smiling as always. "I understand and respect your worries. You are professionals in your field, you have your own concerns, as do I. Still, I am glad that you agree to find and destroy this menace, before someone gets the idea to strike again."

"Now." Aldo leans in a bit at this point. "These four houses I speak of are as follows. First, and perhaps most exotic, is the House of Anan'Klel, a very secretive house who is known to have a strong sponsorship with the Duke of Spiders. That nation-state has been almost completely seclusive, so their recent attempts at moving their trade outposts outward are, as you can imagine, quite significant. They are known for primarily exporting textiles and such, and their members tend to cover themselves up. I've heard whispers of all sorts of horrible things beneath the cloth, and even more horrible things about the company with which they do business, but whether they hold merit or are examples of distrust are hard to distinguish. Still, I would be careful if I were you; I've heard they are quite close to each other, and are quite swift in action if they feel they are threatened."

"The next two are Houses Djanson and Byarkonn. The two houses are from further north, and they have not stopped butting heads with each other since they have gotten here. From what I understand, they are long-time rivals and blood-enemies, and they have failed to leave such conflicts behind when they arrived to Lujen. At first it was merely economic rivalry, competing in fur trades and bronze ingots and weapons. However, some bad blood has risen, and now there has been a recent spike of incident that resulted in Byarkonn claiming that one of Djanson's own has slandered them. Apparently, according to Ohan Byarkonn, the house's manager, the young Alen Djanson had cornered some of Ohan's men, slandered the character of Ohan's daughter-in-law, and then proceeded to slaughter Ohan's right-hand man. Alen insisted that it was fabrication, that the killing was an accident as the man was punched and hit his head on a nearby anvil, and that Ohan's daughter-in-law Phelicia was truly in love with him rather than her husband. Since then there have been several bar brawls caused between the two of them, and security has been raised on both houses. Perhaps one of the more desperate or insidious members of these houses decided it would be a good idea to attempt to wipe out the other with an unrelated third party."

"Finally, there is House Oghanal, from the borders of the Empires of the South. This house plays a dangerous game, a dangerous game indeed. See, if you were to walk among the traders you would find those who trade with all manner of nations and empires. Still, they do so...somewhat quietly, in spite of policy rather than because of it. However, House Oghanal seems almost stupid, trading out boldly with any army with the coin to buy their goods and services. They have formed strong and open trade agreements with powers ranging from the Northern Empire of Barholm, to the Empires of the South, to the Crusaders of Blessed Saint Gabrielle Herself, regardless of whether they are sworn enemies of one another. Such stories could be told of business dinners where representative of these powers sit to determine contracts. Why, I have even borne witness to such an event where two seneschals were set apart from each other whose nations hated each other so much, they were obligated to poison the food of the other seneschal in plain sight of everyone at the table. The head of the house, Xu Oghanal, seems to have a personal agenda for this, but I cannot say what. There have been certain incidents involving sabotages of trade routes that perhaps his reasons for this strange business practice is political in nature, but who he serves is hard to tell. He has declared no national allegiance or preference, despite his proximity with the South."

"Now, if you wish to start with their crew, perhaps The Platforms would be the best place to start. It is where most of the product is moved in Lujen, and where most that work for the houses and traders live and have erected their houses. I imagine they would also have taverns and such that would appeal to the mercenaries and guards that the houses have doubtlessly hired. However, if you wish to address the houses themselves...well, all you need to do is just head along the roads from here. You will find the estates of the Houses relatively easily."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

"Why bother with petty intermediaries and fools? Let us address these merchants in their warrens, that they may know that we hold no fear for them! " he roars, quaffing his drink with a hearty laugh.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Lilina
She nods to the Rat. "Nor would I, but not all are so loyal; trust experience, there."

"How propose you to win an audience? A merchant lord is no chieftan who will meet with all who petition of his time. We would be turned away at the door. And they would know our faces."

She raises a hand. "Before you suggest violence, remember we know not which house to strike. I would advice against making foes of them all. Wars are not won by muscle, though it helps, but through information. The more we know, the better we can stack the odds in our favor."

Lilina shrugs. "Best to narrow down where we're looking first. I would rather break into one guild house than three."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Aengus

"While bashing in every House and finding our mark that way might be a grand old time, I don't think we need that much ill will to begin our quest," Aengus stared thoughtfully into his mug before continuing, "I'm of the opinion that we should do some talking first. Then the bashing may commence." He grinned at the other large man in the room.

Oh come on. Bash now! What'll it hurt? Them? They deserve it. Subjugate them! Bring them to their knees!

pre:
FP: 3
Aspects: Knight in Steel Armor (2 tags)
Stress
Physical: OOOO
Mental:   OOOO

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The Rat FP 4/3 Stress: OOO/OOO

"I say we hit the Platforms. Chargin' in blindly is how you get killed. I ain't one for bein' killed. We gotta gather info first, you canny?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Jack Starchild - FP: 1 - Stress: OOOO (P) / OOOOO (M) (-2/-4/-6)

The Rat had a point. Going into a merchant's den without any prepwork was a little like going into a den of wolves: You might survive it if you're good enough, but you'll still end up with scars to show for it.

"No reason to rush in before we're ready. Here's what I'm thinking: How about some of us go check out the Platforms while the rest goes to look for the Djanson and see what he's got to say for himself? The feud between the Byarkonns and Djansons is breaking up the public order. If we need an excuse, we can just say that we want to make sure our people won't get caught in the crossfire and it'll be true enough to believe." I glanced at Jaxus for a moment and then nodded. This job would require some backup. "I'm curious about why that kid decided revealing an affaire like that was a good idea. Think you're up for helping me find a young buck and teach him how to get a girl or get some sense?" The smile on my face was bright enough sailors could've used it as a lighthouse. The big guy seemed like the kind of person who'd enjoy this job. Either we got to help a kid in need to sort out his problems, or we got to bash some faces in. Seemed like a win-win proposition to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Jaxus

He laughs. "Aye, small one! I'll gladly go with you!" He heartily claps Jack on the back, a hit that might possibly tip over lesser men. Or at least knock the wind out of them.

• Locked thread