Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The calling cards in question bear only two characters - those for "clear skies." The question of how a constable like Wei could command a table at such a famed establishment has an easy answer - he does not. His master, though, could most certainly manage it.

Why such a powerful man would desire your presence remains a mystery. Of all the powerful ministers in the land, the Venerable and Highest Magistrate of Legal Harmony alone has an unimpeachable reputation - and he is the only one who has refused to take sides between the Left and the Right out of principal rather than greed, ambition, or fear. The hope that he might provide a third way, a Middle path, has thus far come to nothing.

Thus far.

You still have most of the day before you - the invitation is for sunset.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Face: Clear Skies
The legendary official Clear Skies is maybe one of the most physically hideous people alive. He is also the most honest, upright, and incorruptible man the government has ever seen. Before the Emperor's death, he had been given full power over all matters of the law - and he uses it judiciously. Clear Skies by technical legal rights could sentence even the emperor's heir to be beaten (though of course a substitute would be found). Clear Skies has made a name for himself for hsi naked hatred of corrpution, and much of the court has begun uniting against him. As beloved in the countryside as he is hated in civilized areas, he is well aware of the downsides of his reputation, especially in these dark times, and travels with a group of handpicked bodyguards known for their loyalty.

Aspects:Corruption's Nemesis; As Ugly As It Gets; "I AM The Law;" Hero of the People; Band of Righteous Servants

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Beautiful Doctor Zhang

"Vivacious Yue, I would also be delighted to watch you and your troupe perform, if you'd but have me."

Zhang's eyebrows spike upwards elegantly as he glances down at the card.

"It seems we've attracted some very interesting attention indeed. Constable Wei has friends in high places it would seem - or one friend in the HIGHEST place, perhaps. I wonder what the good magistrate would possibly want with us?"

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Shu Li

"Clear Skies is a man of great honour. One of the greatest servants the empire has. I can't imagine what he wants, but it does answer some questions about Constable Wei." Li sets his tea down and regards the calling card, deep in thought. "I suppose I'll need to get cleaned up before this evening, it won't do to show up looking untidy before a man of such position," he muses aloud. After all, he would be representing his Bureau.

"I don't suppose anyone's been to the Grateful Golden Plum before?" Li asks in a way to make it clear that he, at least, certainly has not.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Vivacious Yue

A forced smile at the pretty-boy doctor. "I did say everyone, didn't I? I'm pretty sure I did."

Then she turns to the constable, who makes her a bit nervous. "I haven't. Oh, my, I hope I have something appropriate to wear. And...I hope my troupe will be okay without me for the evening." Yue looks crestfallen. "I was going to dance tonight, but I guess I have another obligation...they're going to be so angry with me!"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

Lei still looks a little flush, after Yue passes over him like that. Good thing they changed the topic, else he probably would have said something really dumb.

That said...

"Of course, he's looking for heroes!" The crafter grins, saying that without a single hint of irony. "Probably saw us all swoop down and save the day! Maybe he went to his palace later on and thought, 'hmmm, maybe these are the men and women I need to save the Empire'." Lei feigns stroking a majestic beard to illustrate his impression. "If he's as good as people say he is, he's bound to want us for something amazing!"

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Zhu Qiang

"Perhaps heroes," Qiang nods in agreement with Xu Lei, taking in their surroundings while enjoying his tea. "An official who seeks the company of such people instead of his own Constable and peacekeepers, however? It is likely he wishes to employ those who are aligned with none, save himself."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Centipede Hong

"Heroes, eh.."

Hong looks distant for a moment. "I wouldn't call myself that."

He looks at Zhu. "I am certainly one of no alignment or attachments, though. But not a hero."

Blood drips from the head of a dying old man. He reaches up toward his killer. A gesture of forgiveness.

"Not by a long shot."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

A waiter appears as if by magic with more dumplings and tea, bows, and disappears again.

I somehow forget to state this outright because I am dumb, but when you're ready to move on just let me know a) what you're doing between now and the evening, and b) roll something to create an aspect you can use later on, and c) let me know about the following compels!

Beautiful Dr Zhang, you've just arrived in the city after an extended time away and need to find a new location to set up a clinic. If you accept this compel, you will need to spend at least half of your free time segments like this one trying to find one. You'll make social attacks against OOO [-2/-4] to manage it, though you can fill one of the consequences boxes by either having a negative aspect on the location, or take the equivalent consequence In Debt. On the plus side, at the end you'll have a clinic. You can try and rope other players into helping you too.

Xu Lei, if you take this compel, then the owner of the building you knocked down in the last fight is Not Happy with you, and will become an minor social enemy who will crop up now and then to trouble you.

Shu Li, if you take this compel, then your bureau has a rivalry with the Stone Dog Bureau that serves Clear Skies. Wei may not have cared for his own reasons, but his comrades might.

Vivacious Yue, if you take this compel, something... interesting will happen with the troupe while you're at dinner tonight that will cause you trouble later.

Centipede Hong, if you take this compel, someone you meet at the dinner will actually be a member of the Venom Cult.

Zhu Qiang, if you take this compel, then you crossed paths with Clear Skies during your wild youth, and left a poor impression with him.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Beautiful Doctor Zhang FP: 2/2

I'll take it!

After dinner, Zhang finds himself walking casually to one of the minster's offices. If he's going to live here, he's going to need a place to actually practice medicine - and that means lots and lots of paperwork.

Unless the woman working as clerk could help, of course.

Zhang prepares his best smile as he approaches before making the proposition: the town needs more doctors, after all. And he could add so much beyond just medicinal work. He was rather cultured, you know. He'd be happy to introduce her to some of the more entertaining artists or scholars sometime.

Or so the general line goes. Really, she was a bit too busy staring into his eyes; it was almost a waste.

Rapport/Charm: 4dF+2 0
Using Infatuation to reroll
Rapport/Charm AGAIN: 4dF+2 0
Jesus loving christ. Ok, invoking Soft Face, Soft Heart to make it a +2 - which I should've done before.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Vivacious Yue

Yue takes that compel and how. Going to spend the interim time wheedling with my boss and apologizing for ruining tonight's show, since as the Star Performer it's really not the same if my understudy goes on stage.

Then she's going to go shopping to get the prettiest dress she can. Gotta look the part!

[20:44] <Morphball>: Ridley: 5 = 4dF(+,x,+,+)+2
[20:44] <Ridley>: woo

That's rapport roll. Yue heads to purchase a fancy outfit and uses her charm and amazing smile to get a good deal on the price. (Aspect: Pretty Girl in a Pretty Dress. Succeeded with STYLE.)

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Centipede Hong

Taking it.

Hong finishes his food and hangs around the place, talking to patrons and getting to know the area a bit better. He buys a few drinks and gives some snacks to children. Generally, he manages to put on an image of a benevolent young tourist from elsewhere trying to make friends in a new place.

Secretly, he looks for any odd reactions or watchers. The only way to fight a shadow is to drag it to the light...

KPrime, //+-+4 = 4 Rapport to place Crowd Pleaser

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

I'm actually not going to take that compel, and pay it off instead. But I will deal with it now.

After Xu Lei finishes dinner (too rich for his taste, but still wonderful), he encounters a man with a bone to pick with him.

He pretty much spends the rest of the evening profusely apologizing. It was for good of the city, after all, that he used all the tools in his advantage to help deal with the crisis. Uh, Lei is an excellent craftsman and can help repair what he broke in exchange for amnesty.

He puts the image of a restaurant in his head, then details to the man his plans of a newer, sturdier, more wuxia-resistant restaurtant.

Using Crafts to placate the owner with Building Dreams: -++/ +4 = 5

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Shu Li

I'll take the compel and your tasty, tasty Fate point.

Li excuses himself after a bit more tea and a few dumplings, citing pressing errands but hoping to see everyone at the invited time. First order of business is to deliver the letter, as promised, before something else can get in the way. The wife of Lucky Wu Rong accepts the letter with courtesy, if not much relief, and after a few words about some redeeming honour on Rong's part Shu Li leaves to follow up on his own agenda.

For the rest of the afternoon Li presses the locals for anything about Constable Wei. What's he like? What's his reputation? What stories do they have, who likes him, who doesn't? Experience knowing where and what to asks goes a long way, and his rank and badge do the rest. Li wants to know more about this man who, by bureaucratic tradition, should be a bitter rival at the least. He seemed cooperative, and Li has no particular interest in starting something, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Investigation: +5
Creating "I've Got the Dirt on Wei" aspect ("dirt" we can rename if there's really nothing bad on him at all).
Using my Official Questioning stunt to use Investigation instead of Contacts.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Zhu Qiang

Taking the compel and working on being more prompt as well!

After the children had left and gone their separate ways, Zhu Qiang remained seated amidst the flowers and meditated on what he had learned. He had been pleased to note the exuberance of most of the children, though the young Hong's form of reticence had been telling. Despite that reprieve, the revelation of who it was that had taken an interest in their independent actions taken to save people earlier left Qiang tense.

Clear Skies, an uncompromising, dour man of the utmost personal adherence to the laws of the Emperor. Clear Skies was a man that Qiang had both respected and publically denounced as a spineless dog in his youth, at times favoring the ugly man's unbending stance on delivering justice and at other times infuriated by the man's refusal to act in the way Qiang's own heart had demanded for the sake of enacting justice.

Still, Qiang sighed, it wouldn't do to waste his day lost in his memories. There would be plenty of time for that later, on the road. With a bow of thanks to the owner, Qiang left and busied himself within the populace.

Rolling Contacts to create "Old Friends, Old Enemies" for the chance at more familiar faces from Qiang's youth.
(9:38:43 AM) Velyoukai: !r fudge+1
(9:38:45 AM) Krysmbot: Velyoukai, /++++1 = 4
haha of course

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Dr Zhang walks out of the licensing offices with a thick sheaf of documents, each bearing stamps and seals in red, green, purple, or gold, depending on which part of the immense bureaucracy's decision to accept his right to practice medicine within the city it represents. It would have been impossible to secure all of these in one trip - likely intentional, to create an opportunity for fines and bribes - except for the help of a small fish used to swimming in the seas ink.

Zhang has the aspect Official Documentation now to assist him in his quest for an office.

----

Constable Shu learns more from the absence of information than its detail in his investigation. Wei is a cipher, with no apparent history or friends. His appearance at the riot today suggests something more going on than it appeared on the surface. What is known is that he is Clear Skies' hatchetman, his shadow, his hand. Apparently the man is completely incorruptible and lives for nothing but the law. A perfect minion for someone such as the Venerable and Highest Magistrate of Legal Harmony. He's also supposed to be a strong fighter - perhaps he was holding back earlier?

There really isn't much dirt on Wei, but now Shu recognizes that the man's presence signifies there's More Than Meets the Eye going on when he is present. Also, as a bit of a note, the reason there's inter-service rivalry between the two bureaus is the classic one. The Stone Dogs see themselves as an elite - they're sort of a counter-terrorist or SWAT group, and also provide bodyguards for important magistrates. They don't do a lot of investigating. Naturally, Shu's bureau looks down on them for being less police than paramilitary toughs.

----

Xu Lei finds his potential enemy willing to be placated - in honesty, his own building had been built by unscrupulous and unskilled contractors, and he had been admiring the carpenter's work for some time.

---

Zhu Qiang, Yue, and Hong all get their aspects without any trouble. They will come into play more later.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 19, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Please check the above edited post for pre-dinner background.

Soon enough, the sky begins to redden as the sun dips towards the horizon, signaling the end of another day in the great city - not that it pauses for a moment in its relentless bustling, ready to forge deep into the night, though after dark things tend to be less restrained.

The Grateful Golden Plum is an island of tranquility as ever, though. Vivacious Yue's stunning choice of outfit may well have opened the way regardless, but it is the invitation that ensures all of you are ushered within. A head servant who's uniform probably cost just as much as Yue's dress and who manages to be both perfectly courteous and profoundly disdainful of the youxia at his door leads you within, past tables where the rich and powerful sit, past curtained booths where the truly wealthy and influential are ensconced, past private dining rooms for those for whom the words money and power simply cannot begin to describe their paramount importance, and finally to a pond at the very center of the restaurant.

He directs you to do don special shoes and leads you across artfully hidden stepping stones to the island at the center, a simple, elegant table surrounded by sheer curtains and lit with white candles. Everyone knows when the High Table is occupied, yet no one can possibly overhear what is said there. Privacy and ostentation in one.

Perhaps the man who summoned you here appreciates it. Perhaps he doesn't care one whit, but is much too important for the proprietors to risk offending with a lesser offering. In any case, the Venerable and Highest Magistrate of Legal Harmony sits and waits for you, accompanied by Constable Wei and a pale thin woman with glasses perched on her sharp nose, and a tall, handsome young man, wearing a stylish beard and the uniform of an army captain, with a flattering cut that might be skirting the regulations just a bit. Several other Stone Dogs stand at the corners of the artificial island, looking out.

Clear Skies smiles at you when you approach, and it is truly a terrible sight to behold. Stoop shouldered, hunched backed, skin dark and pocked, eyes not quite on the same level, fingers knobby and twisted, teeth a mad jumble in his too-wide mouth. Every part is on its own flawed, and in the whole is a portrait of hideousness almost awe inspiring to behold. He looks like nothing so much as an old, gnarled tree brought to life. His voice, however, is stunning clear and strong - all the more horrible coming out of that face.

"Please, have a seat. Such lovely young people. Wei here tells me you made quite a showing today. Excellent, excellent. We have need of more upright young citizens in trying times like these."

"You know Constable Wei, and I imagine you've guessed who I am. This lovely young lady next to me is Hawk-Eyed Jun, my personal secretary." Used in this sense, Jun is the keeper of Clear Skies secrets, his second mind, the one who knows where all the bodies are buried - and how to dig them back up at need. "And this is my son, Silver Cloud. He was just promoted to be the Captain of the Second Regiment of the the Imperial Guard Cavalry of the Pristine Lake." He indicates the young man, who manages an elegant bow while still seated. If you squint hard and have a few drinks, there is a family resemblance. Silver Cloud must take after his mother - who, if you remember correctly, happens to be blind.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 19, 2014

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Shu Li

"We are grateful and humbled by your invitation," Constable Li begins. His professional demeanour doesn't crack for a second, all perfect posture and impeccable, if unimaginitive, uniform. "Silver Cloud, congratulations on your promotion. You certainly look the part."

Li steps to find a chair, and to let the others do so as well, though he waits to sit until Vivacius Yue, the only woman still standing, has seated herself. He takes the moment to study Constable Wei, putting together what few facts he knows about the man, and re-evaluating his original assessment. "Constable," he greets Wei with a nod. His gaze breaks to flicker quickly across the guards posted at the corners of the little artificial island, shoot-first leg breakers no doubt, like most of their bureau. Li holds in a sigh through sheer force of propriety. He's all to aware of being, well, not in the lion's den exactly, but the height of potentially abrasive territory. As long as we can all stay civil...

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Vivacious Yue

Yue sits, content for now to be silent. She doesn't want to say something stupid in front of such an influential person. Besides, let them all bask in how amazing she looks for a bit. Better not overwhelm them with her charming personality, too!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"Indeed, it is our highest and most esteemed honor to join you here."

Zhang sits and gives a brilliant smile, only to them notice just how hard Silver Cloud has noticed him.

Putting Infatuation on Silver Cloud

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Centipede Hong

"Indeed, I am unworthy of such an august invitation," demurs Hong. He bows a fraction lower than truly required before taking his seat. "Such an honor was the thing I least expected."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

Lei gives a slight bow, as required to anyone who looks important enough to warrant it. Then he opens his mouth.

"Thank you for your invitation, sir." He smiles, "But I don't suppose you wanted us to see us only for our youth and good looks?"

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Zhu Qiang

Much like Yue, Qiang keeps his silence in favor of pressing palm to palm and bowing at the hip. With the litany of responses from the young ones, coupled with his own less than cordial past with Clear Skies, Qiang has little want to say anything and even less to remain before his elderly peer.

Especially with the man's son right there...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Silver Cloud bows slightly. "Thank you, Constable. One must strive always to present their best face to the world." He picks up the tea pot. "I suspect you understand, Doctor," Silver Cloud nods to Zhang, having taken note of a fellow aesthete. He pours for everyone at the table, starting with Yue, who he favors with a smile.

Hawk-Eyed Jun sighs and adjusts her glasses, while Wei nods respectfully to Shu but says nothing. Shu can feel the eyes of the other Stone Dogs on his back, but they're always looking away when he glances in their direction.

Clear Skies laughs, a sight to make the skin crawl. "No, Carpenter Xu, I have a bit more in mind than that. And I've got about enough youth and beauty as I can stand between my own son, let alone this Doctor yours and Miss Yue. Though I see youth and beauty has escaped at least one of your number..." He squints at Zhu Qiang, and then his eyes go wide. "Oh, is that the Red-Mountain Demon? I didn't think it could be the same Zhu Qiang. Still out wandering the roads, looking for adventures, eh?" He nudges Silver Cloud's arm. "This old man and I sparred back in our youths, when he was more handsome and less bald, and I - well," he cackles, "I was just as ugly and without age as an excuse! I could tell you stories all night." Suddenly his mirth drops away. "Stories that would put most men in prison. Fortunately for Zhu Qiang, he did enough service to justice to earn a pardon. So I'll count it as the folly of youth. Assuming he's still interested in doing what's right. You went on about that enough in the old days."

Now Zhu Qiang also feels the gaze of the Stone Dogs, Clear Skies' words marking him as potential threat. Silver Cloud, however, smiles indulgently and pours his father tea. "You've told me those stories before, Father. And so has mother. I imagine she'd send her regards, Grandfather Qiang." Silver Cloud uses the term as one of proper respect for a spirit-warder. Very proper this young man.

Clear Skies frowns at his son, then waves the matter away. "That's all history now. The present is what concerns us tonight." He sips his tea before continuing. "I won't sweeten this brew with sugar. The Empire is coming apart at the seems. The Ministers of the Right and Left are vying for control of the throne, one through control of the Heir and the other to hold it in her own name. It pains me to admit that the Left has outmaneuvered me. That old snake Hui has his fangs into Lady Shanxiang, and one cannot blame a young girl, even an Empress to be, to turn to her mother's brother in a time of need."

"That sort of thing the Empire could survive, though it would pain me, but White Scar has the blood of the Emperor's father in her veins. Bah, if only that old goat, Long May His Imperial Majesty Rein in Heaven, could have kept his hands to himself in his youth. It's delusion of course. Even if she was a princess, White Scar's mother was still a barbarian. Her armies will follow her and some of the Western nobility, but not the people. She hates Hui like poison and will fight even if it means her destruction to keep him from controlling the throne."

"So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Neither of the Ministers can remove me, but neither can I act directly against them. And while I trust Wei and his Stone Dogs with my life, in all honesty they are not the best investigators. And to many others have been compromised by Hui or White Scar for me to rely on - or are too obviously tied to me to act freely."

"I need someone outside of the system who can do something important for me."

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Shu Li

Li's face twitches into a small smile he works at containing, almost successfully. Not the best investigators indeed...

"My first duty is to the empire, of course," he replies. "I would be honoured to be of use in its service. I am just a constable though, it wouldn't be proper for me to speak for the whole of the Iron-Clad Bureau. We serve only the imperial justice, so I'm sure you can count on the Bureau to support your rightful need for action." Constable Shu speaks with complete open honesty, which in turn suggests his somewhat unsophisticated understanding of imperial politics. "Your integrity is renowned, and your honour above question. Our bureaus may have... differences, but surely Grand Marshal Autumn Moon would help you in the name of holding the empire together?"

OOC: just to be clear, I'm letting Li be a little dense on large-scale politics here--it's him not quite getting it yet, not me trying to be difficult.

spectator fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 26, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Of course he will," Clear Skies waves it away. "But I mean to do more than simply hold it together."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Zhang's eyes seem to twinkle.

"Strong deeds require strong warriors. I am but a simple countryside wandering doctor. To be sure I am not denying or turning you down, but...what task could you possibly have, and why would you possibly select me for such a job?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

Lei taps his fingers over the table.

"I agree! It's all good and noble to keep the tiger and the dragon from tearing apart the land." He says, his eyes still looking straight at Skies. "And no doubt your intents are as honorable as they come. But Doctor Zhang is right, but what exactly do you expect from us? What would you supplant the Minsters' schemes with, that it may need our talents to bring it about?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Before Clear Skies can respond, the food arrives. Your host took the liberty of ordering before you arrived. The waiters set a number of dishes down in the middle of the table, a style of cuisine from the Southwest that recently became popular in the capital. The food is served family style, and most upper class members use it for false modesty, playing at equality among the diners. You get the sense Clear Skies doesn't care about that as much as he seems to just like the taste of it.

Plates are passed around and portions served out. When Hong's reaches him, he notices a pattern made with the sauce. A scorpion's tail! A mark of the Venom Cult. No one at the table seems to be looking at him. Everyone except Xu Lei and Zhu Qiang had it pass through their hands. Someone here is a member of the Cult - but who?

Another serving of tea is made along with the meal. As the waiters depart, Clear Skies picks up his explanation.

"I'd supplant their schemes with governance." He takes a bite and chews, crooked teeth tearing at the portion in a most uncouth way. "I could counter their plans with my own, and to extant I will have to, but the Empire should be ruled by the Emperor, not a shadow behind the throne. Even if it was someone honorable."

"I have been seeking out people with unusual talents to deal with an unusual problem, one that has vexed all previous attempts to resolve. Don't look surprised, Dr. Zhang. You - all of you - didn't simply find your way here by chance." He pauses, and frowns at Zhu Qiang. "Well, for the most part." He takes another bite. "It was I, and my subordinates, who planted the clues that led you here, or suggested certain others hire the right sorts of people, to make sure you all reached this position. And made sure incidents would occur to test you. I've been keeping tabs on you. Each of you is unique. Your experiences, skills, and style mark you as men and women of capability, who stand apart. Yet none of you are particularly important, and so lack history with among the power brokers of the Empire. A perfect combination of obscurity and talent for my needs. There were other candidates, but you are the ones who succeeded."

He puts down his chopsticks. "The task I have in mind is one that every other power in the Empire will dismiss as folly, or more likely as cover for some other conspiracy. Especially since I've given it to you. But if I gave it to someone who had the seeming importance to match its import, it would be opposed and would fail."

"I want you to find the Heir. The true Heir, the late Emperor's elder daughter. And I want to put her on her rightful throne."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"If you'll forgive potential impoliteness...the Heir has been missing for some time. They may be no better then our current situation. What if the eldest daughter is...not fully suitable for the task? I would be happy to continue with the task at hand you have for us - both for personal reasons and altruistic ones - but I must know I am doing the right thing."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

It's Silver Cloud who responds this time. "I grew up alongside Xianniang. Before she disappeared, I'd have said she would have made an excellent Empress. She had her uncle White Scar's respect, and Kang Hui would not openly oppose the lawful heir. I don't know what has happened since her disappearance, but... even if she was a poor ruler, it would be preferable to civil war."

He pauses, then gestures with his cup. "You would know better than I, Doctor - isn't it better to give a patient a foul medicine than watch him die, if that is your only choice?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Centipede Hong

Hong is distracted, scanning faces in the crowd as subtly as possible, and unfortunately manages to speak up without thinking. "Some medicines hurt badly enough that I would strongly consider allowing a peaceful death, instead. Especially if that bitter pill would have to be given to a whole village..." A memory, unbidden, makes him shudder. He shuts his mouth and focuses, feeling his hands clench beneath the table. He cannot eat the food without probably dying. He cannot not eat it without insulting his host. He cannot make a scene without proof.

A solution! He slaps his hand on the table, as if for emphasis for a new thought, "accidentally" spilling his plate. "I- oh no, this one has really made a mess of it! I am so very sorry, honored gentlemen and ladies." He flashes a winning smile... and looks for anyone who didn't react properly.

Notice to spot anyone who is acting out of place: KZA, ++-++2 = 4 after using Crowd Pleaser to reroll.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"I'm sure some "elders" would feel such, Silver Cloud."

You can hear the sarcasm quotes as he talks.

"...But I find the best route, if one has no applicable medicine, is to make applicable medicine. Hmmmm. This metaphor still works in your favor, though, doesn't it? Very well. I accept, most honorable Clear Skies."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

In an eye blink, Hong discerns the reactions to his 'mistake.' Clear Skies looks amused, Silver Cloud covers his reaction with exquisite etiquette but clearly has to make an effort. Constable Wei frowns, having snatched his cup back out of the way. Hawk-Eyed Jun, though, doesn't react at first, her eyes somewhere else entirely. It's only as the others look that she does.

Clear Skies smiles, to your continuing horror. "Excellent! What of the rest of you?"

spectator
Oct 31, 2013

I like to watch.
Shu Li

Constable Shu startles for a moment at Hong's "accident," ready to help contain any mess--but the spill is artfully minor. There are weighty things to think about going around the table, but he comes to a decision quickly.

"If the heir Xianniang can be found, it would be my sworn duty to see her to the throne," Shu Li says with measured, thoughtful pace. "But I feel compelled to point out that it would be for my duty to the empire, to the Emperor--Empress--and the oaths I've sworn, not for any personal loyalties. Any constable in my position would be compelled to do all he could. I am happy to find my duties harmonious with your intentions on this, honourable Clear Skies.

"The emperor's daughter has been missing for some time," he continues, careful with each word. "If you would send us to find her now, am I right in thinking you have some lead for us to work from?" Li stays formally polite, still conscious of who surrounds him but intrigued by the possibilities.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Centipede Hong

Attention still elsewhere, Hong still manages to make enough of an effort to respond. "Yes, I would be more than willing to help.." If only because it means any assassins will be facing a full team of prepared travelers... He turns his hesitation into a joke. "If you still want such a clumsy guest, haha!" He picks up his fallen plate and walks toward the servants hovering attentively at the edges. "Let this common man help clean up his mistake..."

Using the pause as he away from the table, he considers. For someone called Hawk-eyed, she certainly did not seem so then... If she is a Venom cultist, I am in deep trouble. He returns to his seat, having carefully palmed and hidden a knife plucked from an inattentive guard. If trouble knocks, best to be ready.

KZA, +/+/+2 = 4 Deceive combined with some fast hands to place advantage War In the Pocket.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yue

Vivacious Yue is a little bit quiet...largely because her grasp of the political is not particularly solid. "I would like to help, I think, but I am the star dancer of the Waxing Moon Troupe, after all, so I should make sure that it will be all right for me to take a break from performing to do this..."

She's not sure how her friends will feel about that...

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Xu Lei

Xu Lei listens through all the explanations and political grinding through several plates of the Empire's finest cuisine. Goodness, where does this man pack it all in? But he can't make life-changing decisions on an empty stomach, after all.

"Fight against ridiculous odds, find a missing heir, save an empire. Geez, that sounds like a big task lined up for us." He says, mouth half-full with rice, while his hands twirl his chopsticks about. "Don't think I'd say no to the chance like this, no sir. When do we start?"

A pause, and his smile widens. "Are we going to get grand new weapons and imperial authority to go with the task?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Clear Skies and Silver Cloud laugh. Jun looks around a little in surprise, then stifles an awkward giggle. Even Wei smiles. Briefly. This gives Hong a chance to get his blade with little trouble.

"No, no. The plan is to make your search seem unimportant. A foolish lark of my son's," Clear Skies says. "That will keep most off your scent. The more clever will think it's a cover for some other scheme. If I gave you official standing, it would only make things more complicated." He pauses, and adds frankly, "And I don't think you're the types for it. It would corrupt your purpose. You're useful in other ways."

"You see, the story of how the heir went missing is a cover. She was not away on a military mission. She had returned to the capital to consult with her father, and consider an arranged marriage. She disappeared between the river gate-" a small gate in the northern part of the city that is little used save by officials on private or secret business - "and the palace. With her bodyguards. Not a trace of her was ever found, no witnesses, no clues."

"But we may have found something. Silver Cloud will show you tomorrow."

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Zhu Qiang

Prior to this moment, Qiang had been struck silent by Clear Skies' brazen attitude and even more alarming revelation. Aside from a brief nod in agreement, barely even listening to Clear Skies at that point, Qiang had silently stewed in his memories and allowed the steam from his tea to hide the uncertainty in his eyes.

However, with Clear Skies' revelation of the truth behind the heir's disappearance, all hesitation hiding in Qiang's heart was cut down in an instant. His eyes open and focus back on those of Clear Skies, holding a solid moment's gaze between himself and the official.

"No matter what, this child will be recovered, Honored Clear Skies." Qiang nodded once, finally. "I swear it on the name of the Great Red Mountain Demon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Clear Skies stares at Zhu Qiang from across the table. "Just so long as the Great Red Mountain Demon doesn't do as much damage to everything else as last time." He grumbles to himself, then regains his composure. "Very well then! We are agreed. My son will meet with you tomorrow. Tonight, we-"

Whatever the old man was about to say is interrupted by a sound from above. Everyone looks up, puzzled, when it comes again. Xu Lei knows this sound - stressed timbers. That roof is-

It gives way suddenly, as servants and bodyguards scramble for cover. Wei is on the table, an eight-sided hammer in hand to smash aside a tile heading for Clear Skies. The constable knocks the Magistrate unceremoniously to the floor to better shield him. Hawk-Eyed Jun displays surprising agility, dodging debris before she dives under a side table for cover. Silver Cloud's sword is in hand instantly, and cuts a clear space around him.

Parts of the roof are not the only things that have fallen - something truly massive strikes the table and breaks it in two, then something smaller lands on top of it, with an 'oof!' sound.

"You idiot!" A smallish figure clad in black dancer's clothes hops acrobatically to her feet, brushing off dust and plaster. "I told you, you're too fat for this! Now we-" She breaks off as she sees Yue, her eyes widening in surprise and then narrowing in fury.

The rather chubby man she landed on picks himself up, pulling splinters out of his palm. "Oh shut up Meiling. Look, we just-" He breaks off as he sees Hong, eyes widening in surprise and then narrowing anger.

Several faces look down from the hole in the ceiling, wearing the colors of the Brotherhood of the Red and Black Lions. Then a face of a young official, hand pressed on his hat to keep it from falling down. He stares, jaw hanging open, then slaps some of the street toughs around him. "Get down there and help them, you idiots!" Ropes drop down as Assistant Subadministrator Xiao Jin ducks back out of view.

As you get to your feet to face this interlopers, Zhu Qiang feels a tap on his shoulder. Turning, he sees a wizened old man, with long white beard and fists raised. The sun dips below the horizon.

Everyone needs to roll against a +4 attack to avoid getting struck by falling debris! You can dodge or smash debris aside, or use any other neat trick you like. Then, I would like everyone to roll initiative.

• Locked thread