Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Oh, hey, Scribbleykins: if Matti is shooting off her bow and then jumping nimbly down the shaft, whatever did she do with that big heavy box that she had been carting around? I assume the less valuable stuff (like the spare wood and rope from the ship) got left behind long ago, but I figure that you would actually want to hang onto something so potentially valuable, even if it proves inconvenient -- like now, when you're trying to get away from a horde of murderous orcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Oh, hey, Scribbleykins: if Matti is shooting off her bow and then jumping nimbly down the shaft, whatever did she do with that big heavy box that she had been carting around? I assume the less valuable stuff (like the spare wood and rope from the ship) got left behind long ago, but I figure that you would actually want to hang onto something so potentially valuable, even if it proves inconvenient -- like now, when you're trying to get away from a horde of murderous orcs.

Which of them? :v:

There's the lockbox with the poisoned needle and then there's the busted chest with all the spare clothing (including the valuable silk stuff). We never properly inventoried and settled on who was to take care of what. I'd partially assumed/feebly hoped that Mathuviel could have had foisted delegated the task of taking care of the busted chest (along with the spare rope) to Kragg and/or the peasantfolk (i.e. Friedrich and Otto), on our makeshift sled, but the issue never came up, so it was never outright stated.

Mind, the chest is even bigger and heavier than the lockbox, and probably not too good to bring into enemy territory, so it makes sense to have stashed it further away from the mansion, or left it back at the temple.

As for the lockbox, yeah, I never got the impression it was so large that Matti couldn't have held on to it. I also never said she dropped it, and you're quite right she would not want to leave it behind as long as she had an option to otherwise. I'll take whatever punishment that dues me for trying the jump still: clearly Matti got overconfident in the heat of the moment and forgot what she was carrying.

That said, with all our leftover rope, would it be unreasonable to say that Matti could have made, or had made, a makeshift, uncomfortable, rope-sack of some kind? We certainly had enough rope to go around, and it would've made the task of carrying the lockbox around much, much easier (not to mention, left her hands free to tackle the tasks she's been performing).

Take it as a given that if she did this, she'd have turned the lock facing away from herself and stuffed the needle area with bits of woolen underpant. For all the good this would do her in a flaily acrobat-y situation.

If that's not a viable option, the only thing that I feel really makes sense is for her to have left behind the lockbox in the hallway where the group first fought the goblins, forgotten in the heat of the moment.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Yeah, OK, the lockbox is probably just light enough to (awkwardly) carry in one hand, so as long as you're not actively firing your bow while running, you can hang onto it. Firing your bow requires you to set it down, of couse, but I guess there was time enough to pick it back up and bring it with you, both when you left the hallway and when you jumped down the shaft. The larger chest, however, would be too bulky for pretty much anybody to flee with (or to clamber down a ladder with), so it has been left behind somewhere.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

LLSix posted:

"Oi, Keestake! Crazy man! You invited us. Remember? You begged us to come here...

Yeah, well, as Ilsa could tell you from her conversation in Classical with the crazy old man, Keestake mostly wanted to just get down here so he could seal off the entrance, and he wasn't going to get through all the Greenskins by himself. Once he accomplished that, it was really only Ilsa's fast talking (seriously, four DOS on her Charm test) that convinced him that you should not be next on his list of potential threats to the Sea King that needed to be eliminated.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Oh, yeah. I'm not mad at all. It's a reasonable thing for Keestake to do. Kragg has a terrible Fel though and Dwarves are all literal so I wanted to try an argument rooted in something other than his persuasive skill.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Work is crazy busy; hope to have updates sometime over the weekend.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Well, I certainly updated over A weekend...

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
We're all dead, aren't we?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The grox ate us and what we are seeing now is nothing more than the result of dying neurons firing randomly.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Everyone was actually killed in their sleep by Erik and this is his Natural Born Killers hallucination.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
It's certainly what I'm getting for thinking 'Bah, too bushed this week to post. Gonna wait 'till the weekend to post something conciliatory if no-one else has jumped the gun by then'.

John Dyne posted:

Everyone was actually killed in their sleep by Erik and this is his Natural Born Killers hallucination.

I can get behind this. It affirms Matti's belief that humans norsemen are crazy savages, and Erik's been bucking the trend way too hard for this to actually be real.

Sure, she'd be dead, but she'd also be right.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Meanwhile in the Warhammer Battle Card Masters Universe posted:

Keestake: "Ha-HA! You've activated my secret Trap Card!"

Mathuviel: "Heh. Heh heh heh."

Keestake: "W... what? What's so funny? You're going to die!"

Mathuviel: "Foolish human. By activating your secret trap card, you've activated MY secret trap card! And as we all know, the one with the highest initiative goes first. Which would be me: the elf."

Keestake: "Ack! No! Impossible! Forgive me! I've failed you, Sea Kiiiiiiiiinnnng!"

(I don't know why this is so amusing to me. Sleep deprivation, I suspect.)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Scribbleykins posted:

Meanwhile in the Warhammer Battle Card Masters Universe posted:

Keestake: "Ha-HA! You've activated my secret Trap Card!"

Mathuviel: "Heh. Heh heh heh."

Keestake: "W... what? What's so funny? You're going to die!"

Mathuviel: "Foolish human. By activating your secret trap card, you've activated MY secret trap card! And as we all know, the one with the highest initiative goes first. Which would be me: the elf."

Keestake: "Ack! No! Impossible! Forgive me! I've failed you, Sea Kiiiiiiiiinnnng!"
(I don't know why this is so amusing to me. Sleep deprivation, I suspect.)

:allears:

Your posted IC is cold. Deliciously cold. Like ice cream.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I'm going to have to bow out. I've really enjoyed the game, but life has gotten just too busy lately and I haven't found the energy to post anything. Thanks for the game, and let's hope the characters find their way home don't die too agonizing deaths :)

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Aw man, that's too bad. I've enjoyed Friedrich's simplistic outlook (and antics), and was looking forward to see how he would develop from there. Thanks for playing with us, though, and good luck with life!

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I'm going to have to bow out. I've really enjoyed the game, but life has gotten just too busy lately and I haven't found the energy to post anything. Thanks for the game, and let's hope the characters find their way home don't die too agonizing deaths :)

Yeah, sorry to hear that. Thanks for joining in while you had the time.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

quote:

Beyond the second curtain, carefully moved without drawing it aside, is a wider chamber. Rotted tapestries hang along the right wall, while three large recesses are visible along the left wall. The air is damp, and the sound of trickling water can be heard, along with the squeaking of rats. At the far side of the chamber, the passageway continues on into the darkness.

LLSix, did you miss the part about another passage, or are you just operating on the assumption that there's something more down the well besides water, regardless of your other options for continued exploration?

quote:

"Um... nobody make any loud noises, please, but draw your weapons. We've got ourselves a pest problem," she says, tense and wary, as she gestures at the alcove and takes a few more steps back while carefully putting down the lockbox she has been holding in order to draw her bow. "It's a trio of giant rats. Gods fend they're not riddled with diseases. Might leave and let live, if we don't get too close. Or stay here too long."

Also, there's the issue of the rats. Or are you hoping to find a way to get away from them too?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

TychoBrahesNose posted:

LLSix, did you miss the part about another passage, or are you just operating on the assumption that there's something more down the well besides water, regardless of your other options for continued exploration?

I did miss that part. I'll stand by my action if the others want to go down the well. If the other players would rather explore the other passage I don't mind looking like an idiot when the others point out the new passage.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

TychoBrahesNose posted:

You don't want to fail this.

In case it wasn't clear, this phrase is code for "If you fail, you probably want to spend FP (if you've got it), or burn a point permanently (if you don't), depending on how many DoF you got."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Can I make a agility and strength test go grab Kragg, if he fails? Agility to see if I snag him in time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Looks like I'm burning a FP. I like the idea of John Dyne's character saving Kragg. Possibly by grabbing the tail end of the rope wrapped around Kragg's waist and hauling him back up?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Yeah, sure, go ahead and roll it. With the rope trailing off of him, that test actually is Easy (+20%). The strength test to prevent him from falling far enough to hurt himself is at regular difficulty, though.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Good job saving Kragg (and nice use of the rope). As for Matti...

Everything's fine.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Scribbleykins, Matti didn't fall. The ledge runs around the top of the hole, so she doesn't need to climb anywhere. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Scribbleykins, Matti didn't fall. The ledge runs around the top of the hole, so she doesn't need to climb anywhere. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Oh! I totally misread there. The image in my head was of two separate shelf segments further down into the pit, with a raging river at the bottom. I'll edit my action accordingly, then.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dyne, feel free to drop Kragg. If you hold onto him for another round he'll try to get to a spot where you can safely let go, but I think you really need to focus on the dude trying to kill you right now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm planning to unwind the rope around Kragg's waist and go down on the theory that I'm not likely to succeed at climbing up, but down should be easier and free up Erik to act this round.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sorry about the wait, my last action is fixed and the new action is up.

Dyne, you may want to consider having Erik go for the security of the ledge. A blow like the one Otto took will put everyone's favorite badass in a pretty bad condition. That armor doesn't cover everywhere, you know!

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Since we're down to four players, it seems that things have slowed down a bit, so I'm considering re-opening recruit and getting back up to six or seven. But first I wanted to gauge your thoughts on that idea. In particular, we're very close to the end of the first adventure, so in theory we could just stop there, but there's lots more campaign that I have planned, so I'll assume y'all are keen to keep going unless I hear otherwise.

As an alternative to a general recruit, I was also toying with the idea of just tapping one or more of those who apped an incompetent poo poo-shoveler originally, presuming they were still interested in joining in on our Secret Cabal.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm peachy keen to continue our adventures, Tycho! If there is more to come, I'm certainly up for it.

I'm also perfectly fine with either option for recruitment. The more the merrier, right?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm in favor of re-opening recruitment and continuing

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I am still in but so much poo poo has been going on I haven't felt like writing. I'd say we open recruitment.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm still in. Really. Also fine with reopening recruitment.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Epicurius posted:

I'm still in. Really. Also fine with reopening recruitment.

Epi is just warily posting, waiting for the moment when I thoroughly gently caress him over yet again.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

John Dyne posted:

Epi is just warily posting, waiting for the moment when I thoroughly gently caress him over yet again.

You know it's going to happen and I know it's going to happen. I'm already half dead after being attacked by rats in my attempt to save you from a crazy old man.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Vale, Keestake! You're probably curious what his deal was, so here you go:

pre:
Keestake
ex-Valet, ex-Steward, Penitent
WS	BS	S	T	Ag	Int	WP	Fel
37	41	24	36	31	35	31	35	Base
-	-	-	-	10	10	5	10	Valet
10	10	10	10	-	30	20	25	Steward
10	-	10	10	-	-	5	-	Penitent
Talents:		5			5	5
Disorder:						-5
47	41	34	51	31	65	56	60	Current

A	W	SB	TB	M	Ma	IP	FP
1	11	2	3	4	-	-	1	Base
-	2	-	-	-	-	-	-	Valet
-	4	-	-	-	-	-	-	Steward
-	3	-	-	-	-	-	-	Penitent
Talent:	1
1	20	3	5	4	0	LOL	1	Current

Weapons:
Spear, Knife

Armor:
Helmet

Possessions:
Rags
Faded Tabard
Silver Owl Statuette

Talents:
Coolheaded, Suave, Seasoned Traveller, Etiquette
Public Speaking, Super Numerate
Hardy, Strike to Stun, Very Resilient

+10% Charm, Gossip
+10% CoKno, Speak Language
+10% Gambling, Navigation/ +20% Perception (estimation)

Skills:
AcKno(Genealogy, Heraldry), Blather+, Evaluate+, Gossip+, Haggle+, Perception+, Read/Write+, Search+
AcKno (Law), Charm, Command, CoKno (Empire), Intimidate+, Ride, Speak Language (Reikspiel, Classical),
Trade (Merchant), Heal

Blood Lineage (Strength): Verena (Minor)
Blood Abilities: Extended Lifespan

Disorders:
Blasted Brain
Knives of Memory
Heart of Despair

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 28, 2015

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Interesting! Way tougher than I thought a crazed old man would be, but then, in hindsight, it makes a good deal of sense that he would be.

Also: "IP: LOL" :v:

Anyway, scratch this part of the game reminding me of Dark Souls. Stuck with guttering torches, low on food and balancing on the knife's edge of death? Welcome to the Darkest Dungeon, everyone!

IC Mathuviel is proposing we systematically search the previous room and this room to tally anything useful or scavenge-able. In particular, anything we can use to fashion torches with. If we can find enough burnables for a fire to cook the dead rat on, and ensure that the other two rats won't return, we can also pause for a rest, which may or may not be a good idea at this point. Thoughts, people?

Oh, and somebody should probably claim Keestake's (damaged) helmet. Otto, perhaps?

(If nobody else loots his stuff, Matti will happily snag the silver owl, the knife and the spear. She'll refrain from touching the helmet for being all wrecked and bloody.)

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Sounds like you mostly have a plan, so feel free to specify what actions you are taking, especially if they require dice-based adjudication (like searching, or shooting the surviving rats, or whatever).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Don't have a lot of fluff for this but:
Perception to collect firewood vs 16: 1d100 76 6 DoF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, Mathuviel is definitely Search-ing the entry room and the box/rat room for torch materials, firewood and other items of interest. Not sure if you want a single roll for each room or if you want to roll up (heh) the two into one roll. I'm fine with either.

She will also happily spend up to four of her arrows on BS shots trying to nail the remaining two rats from afar, while taking her time to aim if possible. Again, I'm fine with this being rolled up into a single success-or-failure roll. If that fails, she'll encourage Otto to help her get in there and finish the job with club and spear.

You can roll for me if you'd like, Tycho, or you can just give me your ruling on whether to roll Search and BS singly or multiple times and then I can roll them myself and put the results in an IC post.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 2, 2015

• Locked thread