Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I loved Broadchurch to death but this looks awful. Maybe it's because I'm so familiar with the original, but it looks like basically a shot for shot remake which just causes this weird sense of things just being not-quite-right. Tennant's accent isn't THAT bad but I'm so used to either his actual accent or his fake English one that hearing the American version just adds to the sense of,"Something isn't quite right here."

It doesn't help that Tennant sticks like a sore thumb in terms of appearance too. I don't quite know how to put it, but even when he's not saying a single line you can't tell he's not an American actor. But to be fair, me already knowing who Tennant is doesn't help.

Astroman posted:

Yep, and he's still doing the British Broadchurch. :psyduck:

Watching that trailer is weird. He just...looks like DI Hardy...but doesn't sound like him. It's offputting. I was sort of hoping he'd put some sort of different spin on the role, but it seems like he's doing it 1:1.

To be fair to Tennant, the entire remake looks very 1:1, so his take on the role pretty much *has* to be the same, aside from the accent.

Man, I never had much hope for an American Broadchurch remake in the first place, but that trailer still managed to leave me unimpressed. Only thing I'm potentially interested in is Anna Gunn's take on Olivia Coleman's role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Humble Bundle has a lot of Doctor Who IDW comics for sale right now. Series one, issues 1 - 17 and Series two 1 - 17, as well as the Legacy game are all Pay What You Want. Over the average donation (right now just over $10) gets you Series three 1 - 17. $15 gets you the Prisoners of Time set and "The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who."

Just a heads up!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Only thing I'm potentially interested in is Anna Gunn's take on Olivia Coleman's role.

This is legitimately the only thing I find interesting about the remake at all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sometimes a great laugh rolls through my body when I remember that a company published Doctor Who novels for like 7 years, and they were called the Virgin New Adventures.

Is it just me who’s noticed this? Because if feels like NO ONE talks about that.

The jokes write themselves!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

Sometimes a great laugh rolls through my body when I remember that a company published Doctor Who novels for like 7 years, and they were called the Virgin New Adventures.

Is it just me who’s noticed this? Because if feels like NO ONE talks about that.

The jokes write themselves!

Given that the UK has/had Virgin Atlantic (an airline), Virgin Trains, Virgin Healthcare, Virgin Internet (I've got this), Virgin Megastores, Virgin Vodka, Virgin Cola, Virgin Books (hence the Virgin New Adventures, as they were published by Virgin), Virgin Records, Virgin Television, Virgin Active (a health club chain), the V Festival (a music festival), Virgin Holidays, Virgin Mobile and all the other bits of Branson's multinational conglomerate,

I can safely say that both a) all jokes were made back in the 90's ( :regd08: ) and b) it wasn't that noteworthy a name anyway

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Given that the UK has/had Virgin Atlantic (an airline), Virgin Trains, Virgin Healthcare, Virgin Internet (I've got this), Virgin Megastores, Virgin Vodka, Virgin Cola, Virgin Books (hence the Virgin New Adventures, as they were published by Virgin), Virgin Records, Virgin Television, Virgin Active (a health club chain), the V Festival (a music festival), Virgin Holidays, Virgin Mobile and all the other bits of Branson's multinational conglomerate,

I can safely say that both a) all jokes were made back in the 90's ( :regd08: ) and b) it wasn't that noteworthy a name anyway

I guess that makes sense.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Humble Bundle has a lot of Doctor Who IDW comics for sale right now. Series one, issues 1 - 17 and Series two 1 - 17, as well as the Legacy game are all Pay What You Want. Over the average donation (right now just over $10) gets you Series three 1 - 17. $15 gets you the Prisoners of Time set and "The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who."

Just a heads up!

Grabbed this because, while I've read some mixed things about them, that's still a lot of comics for the money.

Also, the key they give you for unlocking stuff in Doctor Who Legacy works in the iOS version as well so if you have that rather than Android and wanna match 3 with Bill or the Trought or whatever without having to grind their drop (are they stage drops like that in regular play? I haven't touched the game in months) that's a thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Did I enjoy The Natural History of Fear?

No, I did not.

Yes, I did.

This is a weird story, not so much for the plot which is a pretty substandard take on Nineteen Eighty-Four, but for just how divided I feel about it, both as I was listening to it and afterwards when I think back on it. There's nothing particularly innovative or new about this even if the story desperately wants there to be, and the big twist ending felt somehow telegraphed to me from extremely early on in the episode. I don't doubt I've read similar twists in novels or seen it in various television programs, but if I try to think back to specific instances none come immediately to mind. Yet when the reveal was finally made it wasn't a :aaa: moment for me so much as it was a,"Well FINALLY they just come out and say what I've been thinking since episode 1" one. That was common throughout the story, I never once felt surprised by any of the various twists and turns, and yet I can't claim with a straight face that these twists and turns aren't delivered by quality performances.

Maybe it is appropriate that a story about a place where memory and identity are fluid leaves me in two minds about how I feel about it. I guess in the end what it boils down to is that I think this is an okay rehash of a familiar story but not a very good Doctor Who story. This despite a number of not-so-subtle in-jokes about the show/franchise/fandom thrown into the mix, with references to the BBC, editors, censors, the television program, the reconstruction society, missing episodes from the archive etc. Even though censored/rewritten versions of the Doctor's adventures are supposedly the primary entertainment for the inhabitants of Light City, and the Revolutionaries are planning to reconstruct a facsimile of the Doctor from his memories you could easily remove the Doctor, Charley and C'rizz (ESPECIALLY C'rizz) from the story and have it make no difference. The Doctor's injection of revolutionary thought into Light City society was apparently not only anticipated but apparently unnecessary, as revolution is built into the cycle of growth for the city. In the end, there is nothing really at stake because everything has been anticipated and allowed for, and the "growth" of the city and the population is a false one, a maturation that has been carefully groomed and staged. That makes for a rather depressing ending, and makes me glad that the Doctor and his companions were apparently only truly present for a fleeting time before moving on, as if even they didn't want to be involved in this story any longer than they had to be.

The performances themselves are good, or rather the performances of McGann and Fisher are, which is only to be expected. They do a great job inhabiting different roles (Big Finish deliberately didn't credit any of the cast with a specific role), but sadly everybody else is so generic that they kind of mash together and none can really be separated. This was probably quite deliberate given the nature of the story being told, but it has the unfortunate effect of making them fade into the background, leaving the listener (well okay, me specifically) just waiting impatiently for McGann or Fisher to start talking again. Conrad Westmaas again fails to stand out to me at all, I still don't really understand what it is about him that earns him a spot as a regular companion - so far he has brought nothing extra to the audios, and he doesn't even fit in as a guide-character for the extra-universal Doctor and Charley, because the nature of their travels so far have taken him to places that are as alien to him as they are to them. This leads on to my next issue with the story, in that I once again don't see what about this story plays with the concept of the Divergent Universe. This is a place that is supposed to be utterly alien to life as the Doctor knows it in the "real" universe but apart from Scherzo he hasn't once yet encountered a situation that stands out as something that wouldn't have happened in the universe he came from. Once again we're faced with a familiar society with familiar social structures, and even the late reveal that the people have eight limbs doesn't make it unique to the Divergent Universe, that could easily be the case for any number of species in the other universe.

Which leads me to ANOTHER problem with the story, in that I'm left entirely unclear on the nature of the inhabitants of Light City. Are they corporeal? Do they actually exist as distinct individuals? Or are they conceptual? Different facets of a single or group mind? At some points in the story they seem to be the one, and at other points they seem to be the other. The benefit of an audio story is that you can play with these distinctions a bit before pulling the rug out from under the listener with a reveal that subverts their expectations, but this story feels muddied in that regard - identity is fluid but physical presence appears to be a thing... but at other points there is a suggestion that the whole thing might be an illusion, and there is no physical presence at all, at least not for the seemingly individual citizens of the city.

Writing this has failed to bring me any closer to a conclusion on whether I liked this story or not. I both did and didn't, and I like that it made me think about it, but in the end I have to say that I was left ultimately disappointed. There is the potential for an amazing story here, but they played it safe. From a technical standpoint what they do with the audio format is excellent, with the constant echoing and shifts from one channel to another reminding the listener that everything in this story is mediated, we hear nothing as original sound - everything is recorded and rebroadcast, and often we are unsure if what we are hearing has been edited or whether we are getting the full story. McGann and Fisher seem to relish getting to expand on their usual characters, with Fisher in particular finally getting a chance to play another role that isn't just an identical Charley with a slight voice modulation. But everything else is muddied confusion, the other characters are (probably deliberately) vague and undefined, the twist is painfully apparent early on, and the resolution slightly disconcerting as opposed to inspiring hope for the future of Light City.

Or maybe I'm just disappointed nobody got threatened with having a rat eat through their face?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I just finished the second episode of The Natural History of Fear, and I think I see the twist coming. It's kind of a neat concept - one sole thought of freedom spreads like a brush fire - and I do enjoy McGann and Fisher's turns. McGann called this "one of his best scripts ever," and his performance is lofty as the praise.

But other than that, it's striking me as 1984 just as the structure begins to collapse. And there's nothing that really screams "this story could only be told in the Divergent Universe." This wasn't the best followup for C'rizz either. Two serials in and he really hasn't done anything that makes him worthy to be a companion; his time in this one is sort of wasted.

On another note, just finished part two of Talons. The "chase" through the theatre was very well done, but I'm definitely feeling a bit uncomfortable with the racism. I know part of it comes from the lack of Asian actors in 1970's England...I look forward to listening to the DVD commentary on this one.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 15, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not surprised that McGann liked the script so much, since it calls for him to expand his performance and test his range, and he does a very admirable job with it. Him and Fisher are really the standouts in this story, they clearly dove into the script with gusto.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Introducing Arin Hanson as Barbara Wright

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of David Tennant, I hope he's a bit embarrassed about participating in Exile. They couldn't have consulted Tom Baker to ask him what being drunk was like before they wrote and recorded this thing? A character named Cheese? Christ, Big Finish! :psyduck:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just a heads up!

Stop sapping money away from me, Humble Bundle :negative:

Ah well, I can spring for 7 bucks.

Edit: Also, the money from the bundle goes to Doctors Without Borders, which is very much a appropriate choice for the Doctor.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 15, 2014

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

This leads on to my next issue with the story, in that I once again don't see what about this story plays with the concept of the Divergent Universe. This is a place that is supposed to be utterly alien to life as the Doctor knows it in the "real" universe but apart from Scherzo he hasn't once yet encountered a situation that stands out as something that wouldn't have happened in the universe he came from.

Thematically, at least, it's very representative of what the Divergent Universe will ultimately mean: the forced recursion, that the different Zones are all self contained time loops, as is the Divergent Universe itself. Time, as the Doctor knows it by the fixed points of cause and effect, doesn't exist - it folds back on itself like a Möbius strip surrounding (or made from) a finite number of smaller Möbius strips. Not as cool as the incomprehensibility of Scherzo, but more manageable story-wise. (Spoiled because I really liked the last Divergent season, flaws and all.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll hold off on reading whatever is behind that spoiler bar since I have suspicions as to WHY things are the way they are, and I want to see if this plays out or it turns out that the writers just didn't have the imagination to do the Divergent Universe justice.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Speaking of David Tennant, I hope he's a bit embarrassed about participating in Exile. They couldn't have consulted Tom Baker to ask him what being drunk was like before they wrote and recorded this thing? A character named Cheese? Christ, Big Finish! :psyduck:

I did warn you.

Seriously, is there anyone who likes that piece of poo poo? It's easily one of the worst Doctor Who stories I've heard in any medium

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Box of Bunnies posted:

Introducing Arin Hanson as Barbara Wright

Still not as bad as The Forgotten:

Featuring Draco Malfoy as the Second Doctor

Prisoners of Time is kind of terrible, though. It's got Frobisher and one fun story where Ten and Martha fight the Dominators on a 50s sci-fi B-movie set, but the rest of it is pretty bad, all the Adam Mitchell stuff especially.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Forktoss posted:

Still not as bad as The Forgotten:

The 9th doctor's pose cracks me up. It's just legit hilarious. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I kind of miss Virgin Megastores.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Metal Loaf posted:

I kind of miss Virgin Megastores.

The big one on Oxford Street was pretty cool. Had a huuuuge video (and small DVD) selection in the basement. Now it's a Primark.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

These comics are silly. 10 has to team up with Silent Movie Star, Arthur Maplin, who has a cane and a silly hat. And then he hangs off a clock tower.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

The big one on Oxford Street was pretty cool. Had a huuuuge video (and small DVD) selection in the basement. Now it's a Primark.

I went there once some years ago when my family was on holiday. My dad got me Jedi Power Battles for the PS1.

There was one in Belfast as well, which was replaced by a Zavvi when it closed (I kind of miss Zavvi too). It is not, however, a Primark (the Primark's down the road).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

I did warn you.

Seriously, is there anyone who likes that piece of poo poo? It's easily one of the worst Doctor Who stories I've heard in any medium

Yeah, it takes talent to be worse than The Rapture and Nekromanteia, but boy, we have a winner.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

There are so few scripts movies, films or plays that accurately portray what it is to get, and then be, drunk. Anything that does has absolutely no stage slurring, hiccuping, inane giggling or prat falls. Or dumb poo poo nicknames. Exile is particularly egregious (as well as pretty offensively portraying the only female audio incarnation of the Doctor as a binge drinking retail worker).

I love Briggsy, but judging by that script it's like he's never set foot in a pub or drank anything except the odd glass of champagne in his life. I was embarrassed to listen to it, and I was listening to it through headphones.

I'm not sure it's worse than Nekromanteia, which is just flat out nasty, but it is to drinking what The Rapture is to drugs. Hopelessly out of touch, Daily Mail-y stereotyping.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

There are so few scripts movies, films or plays that accurately portray what it is to get, and then be, drunk. Anything that does has absolutely no stage slurring, hiccuping, inane giggling or prat falls. Or dumb poo poo nicknames. Exile is particularly egregious (as well as pretty offensively portraying the only female audio incarnation of the Doctor as a binge drinking retail worker).

I love Briggsy, but judging by that script it's like he's never set foot in a pub or drank anything except the odd glass of champagne in his life. I was embarrassed to listen to it, and I was listening to it through headphones.

I'm not sure it's worse than Nekromanteia, which is just flat out nasty, but it is to drinking what The Rapture is to drugs. Hopelessly out of touch, Daily Mail-y stereotyping.

It's also a little offensive that the reason the Doctor regenerates into a woman is specifically because, within this story, a Time Lord changes gender during regeneration when they commit suicide. It's sort of subtly implied that it's almost a punishment, and the whole "I used to be a man of action!" talk he has with his former self (inside a vodka bottle :rolleyes: ) is particularly cringeworthy.

The filled pauses that are written for every character as an obvious attempt at comedic timing ("There um.... there aren't any guards, though.") feel more like everyone is flubbing their lines (because they do this for virtually every line). I guess the summary is that the story is just a bit gross, out of touch and vaguely sexist, but it begs you to laugh at it so earnestly and pathetically that you feel embarrassed for everyone involved the entire time.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The 9th doctor's pose cracks me up. It's just legit hilarious. :allears:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvlysx_blackadder-season-03-episode-04-sense-and-senility_shortfilms 13:05

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Following the Doctor Who Tumblr pays off sometimes. I guess Day of the Doctor paid off enough for them to give something similar a bit of a crack.

quote:

BBC Worldwide and Fathom Events are bringing Doctor Who to the big screen in a two-night special theatrical screening event all for the price of one ticket.

See David Tennant on the big screen as the Tenth Doctor in the epic two-part Doctor Who story“Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel”on June 16 at 7:30 p.m. local time with never-before-seen bonus content from Tennant himself.

The next night, experience the earth from a bird’s eye view in “Wings 3D” narrated by David Tennant on June 17 at 7:30 p.m. local time in RealD™ 3D.

Tickets for “Doctor Who Cybermen + Wings 3D” are available at participating theater box offices and online at https://www.fathomevents.com to the public beginning May 15. For a complete list of theater locations and prices, visit the FathomEvents.com

If you have any questions about the cinema screenings, you can tweet at DoctorWhoShop on Twitter.

So yeah, if any of you Americans have nothing else planned that could be a bit neat. I'm kind of wondering why Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, but there's not necessarily anything wrong with that choice.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I can think of something wrong, they are bad episodes

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The Doctor and Leela find themselves in the middle of London at the time of a new energy crisis. The GlobeSphere Corporation seems to have all the answers – but several thousand protestors beg to differ.

What is the connection between the National Gallery and a base on the Moon? Has radical thinker Damien Stephens simply sold out, or does he have a more sinister agenda?

The Doctor has detected a mysterious energy reading. Could it be that the most evil creatures in the universe have returned to claim ultimate victory once and for all?

Tom Baker is the Doctor in Energy of the Daleks.

Cast
Tom Baker (The Doctor)
Louise Jameson (Leela)
Alex Lowe (Damien Stephens/Robomen)
Mark Benton (Jack Coulson)
Caroline Keiff (Lydia Harding)
Dan Starkey (Kevin Winston/Robomen)
John Dorney (Robomen)
Nicholas Briggs (The Daleks)

Written By: Nicholas Briggs
Directed By: Nicholas Briggs

Trailer - http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/energy-of-the-daleks-657

X X X X X

It was only a matter of time before the Fourth Doctor and the Daleks crossed paths again.

If Tom Baker is the quintessential Doctor, than the Daleks are his quintessential foes. From the very beginning of the Doctor’s journey, the Daleks have been there. And from the very beginning of the Daleks’ journey, the Doctor has been there. While the Doctor, in all his incarnations, would continue to cross paths with the Daleks, the 1975 serial Genesis of the Daleks is considered one of Doctor Who’s best episodes, and a very strong reason for this is Baker’s performance. The Time Lords send the Doctor back in time to the planet Skaro, during the height of the war between the Thals and the Kaleds, in an attempt to stop Davros from creating the Daleks and unleashing them upon his enemies. The pivotal moments comes as the Doctor, Harry, and Sarah Jane have rigged the Kaled mutation room, meant to turn the Kaled into bubbling lumps of hate. The destruction of this room would ruin Davros’ research, but more importantly, would eliminate the very first Daleks, from which the entire race sprung, in the proverbial cradle.

The Doctor stands ready, holding a stripped wire in each hand. All he has to do is put the wires together to set off the explosives.

quote:

The Doctor - "If someone who knew the future, pointed out a child to you and told you that that child would grow up totally evil, to be a ruthless dictator who would destroy millions of lives... could you then kill that child?"

Sarah Jane Smith - "We're talking about the Daleks. The most evil creatures ever invented. You must destroy them. You must complete your mission for the Time Lords!"

The Doctor - "Do I have the right? Simply touch one wire against the other and that's it. The Daleks cease to exist. Hundreds of millions of people, thousands of generations can live without fear... in peace, and never even know the word "Dalek"."

Sarah Jane Smith - "Then why wait? If it was a disease or some sort of bacteria you were destroying, you wouldn't hesitate."

The Doctor - "But if I kill. Wipe out a whole intelligent life form, then I become like them. I'd be no better than the Daleks."

Even in the face of ultimate evil, and all the hate, genocide, and destruction that he has seen, the Fourth Doctor refuses to be “The Man Who Would” and eliminate the Daleks. It’s an incredibly powerful scene that encapsulates everything the Doctor believes in, that some lines must never be crossed and that, somehow, somewhere, there is a better way.

Energy of the Daleks once again sees the Doctor, this time with Leela at his side, facing off with those damnable pepperpots. With a lean and quick-moving script that touches upon nearly everything that a viewer/listener comes to expect from a Dalek story, Energy is a solid story that plays it a bit safe by staying well within known parameters.

London, 30 January, 2025. The Doctor and Leela find themselves in Trafalgar Square as a massive protest takes place against the GloboSphere Corporation. After setting up large solar panels on the moon with the capability of generating more than enough energy to meet Earth’s needs, the company has cut a deal with energy companies and national government to delay the collection and transmission of solar power to Earth. As GloboSphere’s security forces brutally break up the protest, Leela and the Doctor are separated. Leela soon discovers that the power behind GloboSphere’s technological advancement are none other than the evil race known as the Daleks, and that they plan to use the massive quantities of energy against an helpless and unsuspecting planet Earth!

With Nicholas Briggs involved, one knew that it was only a matter of time before the Daleks popped their heads up in the Fourth Doctor Adventures line. Energy of the Daleks was the first serial recorded by Tom Baker for Big Finish. There’s very little evidence of any difficulties or growing pains; Energy is very well put together, which makes me believe that the problems with Destination: Nerva came about from a weak script as opposed to weak performances or a weak production crew. The script established the world very easily with very little in terms of heavy-handed exposition or anvil dropping regarding the energy crisis. The secondary characters are introduced and laid out in a proper fashion, with just enough of a necessary backstory to make them feel vital to the audio. And the sound is top quality as well, especially the Dalek voices and their weapons. When a Dalek blows up at one point, it even somehow manages to sound like the polycrete models from the 1970’s going up in flames!

For Tom Baker and Louise Jameson’s first time together since The Invasion of Time in 1978, the chemistry is there and the rust isn’t. It’s a dramatic 180 degree turn from the frostiness between them in the later period of the run together in serials like The Horror of Fang Rock. Maybe time and tide, maybe just a better set of scripts, maybe it’s just the magic of the TARDIS, and whatever it is, Baker and Jameson slide right back into their roles as the Fourth Doctor and Leela of the Sevateem. Baker hits that note between the seriousness of Genesis of the Daleks and the sheer insanity of his other Dalek story, Destiny of the Daleks. He knows how serious the threat of the Daleks is once their presence is revealed to him, but until that point, we have Baker being the same wide-eyed, big grinned adventurer. He’s the only Doctor who could pull of a line such as “let’s go to the moon” and have it be perfectly appropriate. For his first story for Big Finish, Baker doesn’t show any signs of the years slowing him down. From the moment he steps out from the TARDIS, it IS Saturday night tea time in 1977 all over again, with only a few times during Energy where one can sense he’s trying to channel the Doctor as opposed to being the Doctor. And the same goes for Jameson, as Leela speaks of “this land of London” and “blue guards.” For the first script with Leela, Nicholas Briggs writes her much better than she was during her time on TV; savage, but intelligent, and brave enough to face down the Daleks with the knowledge the Doctor will save her…and also in pain as the Daleks put her to the torture. Jameson goes from the older and wiser Leela from the Gallifrey series to the naive but strong Leela from her time on TV without missing a step, and listening to her on audio during the Fourth Doctor Adventures has been a true joy.

And then, there were the Daleks. It’s a Nicholas Briggs script, directed by Nicholas Briggs, starring Nicholas Briggs. The whole thing just screams “DALEK,” with the yelling and the pushiness and the over-the-top, ridiculous scheme to destroy humanity. Briggs nails the Daleks perfectly, right out of the 1970’s, and no one does their voices better than Briggs. Truly, Energy of the Daleks could have, budget and technology willing, been put on the BBC during the Hinchcliffe/Williams years and no one would have batted an eye.

This fact, however, serves to the story’s detriment. The script for Energy of the Daleks hits all the right notes – the incredibly technology, the revelation that the Daleks are behind it, the Robomen, the Doctor’s companion taken hostage, the Daleks freaking the hell out when they realize the Doctor is present, the flaw in the Daleks’ plan that the Doctor exploits to save the day. It’s all in there. And nothing else is. The script is incredibly safe, but doesn’t go beyond that. It’s a Dalek story with a hint of nostalgia built into its production. The Doctor can ONLY find out that the Daleks are involved as part of an episode cliffhanger, which adds a bit of “hurry up and get on with it” to the first episode as the Doctor, even with his charm, runs around London trying to figure out what’s going on. The story is fast paced and isn’t boring, but when the listener knows what to expect, that adds an awareness of time to the proceedings. Add to it the human who was misled or brainwashed and the extermination of his friends to drive home how serious the Daleks are, and the whole thing adds up to a solid, but safe, story. It works, from a production standpoint, as a great story to record so Tom Baker can ease back into the role of the Doctor. As a finished story, Energy of the Daleks is a typical “mid-season” serial; exciting and solid, but one that usually ends up in the “oh, I enjoyed that one” spot in light of the season’s other stories.

Synopsis – A solid, well put together production, Energy of the Daleks sees the renewal of the rivalry between the Fourth Doctor and the Daleks in a story that treads on well-worn/well-treaded ground. 3/5.

Next up –The Doctor and Leela arrive in the wilds of Derbyshire, only to get caught up in the hunt for a missing girl…

Tom Baker is the Doctor in…Trail of the White Worm.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 16, 2014

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

With the archives down, is there any way to read your past audio drama reviews? Do you have a tumblr or something?

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I'm only 10 minutes into The Fearmonger, and it's already one of my favorite Seventh Doctor stories.

I was going through Big Finish in order, and the first few were okay but a bit of a chore sometimes.

Thank goodness for The Fearmonger because now I can't wait to listen to more.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Synopsis – A solid, well put together production, Energy of the Daleks sees the renewal of the rivalry between the Fourth Doctor and the Daleks in a story that treads on well-worn/well-treaded ground. 3/5.

I wish they'd do a special on 4th Doctor Adventures, because Renaissance Man was a great taster but I can't really justify the cost of an entire season but I'd love to hear more Tom Baker. Same deal with the 8th Doctor Adventures too, c'mon Big Finish!

The Action Man posted:

Thank goodness for The Fearmonger because now I can't wait to listen to more.

Yeah, Fearmonger was one of the first audios I listened to (perhaps the first, I can't remember if I listened to Whispers of Terror before or after) and it was fantastic, it felt like slipping right back into the late 80s with McCoy and Aldred :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Thunderfinger posted:

With the archives down, is there any way to read your past audio drama reviews? Do you have a tumblr or something?

If you're brave enough, I have a blog...

http://cobiwann.wordpress.com/

They're all on there save for the last two.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ATTENTION NIGHT VALE / BIG FINISH OVERLAP FANS:

THIS EXISTS: http://smegandtheheads.tumblr.com/post/85847637198/happiness-through-acceptance-believe-in-a-smiling

IT IS INCREDIBLE

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I can think of something wrong, they are bad episodes

Hey, they were solidly mediocre at worst. Not really bad episodes, they just couldn't really make that jump to 'good'.

I'm still not sure why, though. I would have thought maybe it was best for a standalone screening since it reintroduces the Cybermen in a way that doesn't need foreknowledge, but the rest of the episode's centered so heavily on Rose's history that it doesn't work that way.

I'm not sure what two-parter would be perfect in that combination, being a good Tennant two-parter that doesn't need much pre-watching; that cuts out the finales, at least. The Library, maybe, but that's not a story that would benefit hugely from the big screen. Best candidate I can think of is Impossible Planet/Satan Pit.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Hey, they were solidly mediocre at worst. Not really bad episodes, they just couldn't really make that jump to 'good'.

I'm still not sure why, though. I would have thought maybe it was best for a standalone screening since it reintroduces the Cybermen in a way that doesn't need foreknowledge, but the rest of the episode's centered so heavily on Rose's history that it doesn't work that way.

I'm not sure what two-parter would be perfect in that combination, being a good Tennant two-parter that doesn't need much pre-watching; that cuts out the finales, at least. The Library, maybe, but that's not a story that would benefit hugely from the big screen. Best candidate I can think of is Impossible Planet/Satan Pit.

Human Nature/Family of Blood was the first anything Doctor Who I ever watched and it was all pretty comprehensible

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I agree. The decision to put them up on the big screen is pretty baffling, if you wanted to do a big over the top cinema experience for a RTD/Tennant-era two-parter I'm surprised they didn't go with Stolen Earth/Journey's End. But maybe that's just because I'd love to see Davros on the big screen :allears:

Chairman Mao
Apr 24, 2004

The Chinese Communist Party is the core of leadership of the whole Chinese people. Without this core, the cause of socialism cannot be victorious.

Jerusalem posted:

I wish they'd do a special on 4th Doctor Adventures, because Renaissance Man was a great taster but I can't really justify the cost of an entire season but I'd love to hear more Tom Baker.

Honestly you're not missing much. The fourth doctor adventures line is pretty bland.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Apologies if this has been posted -- apparently in 2015, they will finally publish a novelisation of City of Death

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Death-Douglas-Adams/dp/1849906750/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400224058&sr=1-4&keywords=doctor+who

Interesting!

And the potential for some silliness -- Doctor Who Mad Libs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Mad-Libs/dp/0843182466/ref=sr_1_26?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400224181&sr=1-26&keywords=doctor+who

(I'm sifting through upcoming and recent DW books for a semi-commissioned writing project).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The cretin who wrote The Highest Science gets some Douglas Adams words to adapt? There's no justice.

• Locked thread