Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

the mention of Zodin (who never showed up on TV, did she?)[...] I can definitely see the “fandom” aspect.

This is just a bit of background colour, there are plenty of instances of the Doctor mentioning something or someone we've never met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

So then the DVD for Revelation of the Daleks comes out, Colin Baker locks all the doors, and what's the first line on the booklet? "Eric Saward was eager to redeem himself after the hideous smelly worthless failure of his previous Dalek effort, widely seen as a complete drizzling shitpile..." (Or words to that effect, my DVD's somewhere else, otherwise I'd check the exact wording.)

I have it here, actually. I'll post the whole thing because it's pretty short, and it's really something else:

quote:

By his own admission, Eric Saward felt that he handled the Daleks rather badly in his script for "Resurrection of the Daleks" (1984), and so wanted another chance to try and redeem both himself and Skaro's finest. Drawing inspiration from the bleak subject matter of Evelyn Waugh's darkly comic novel The Loved One, Saward injects the story with real menace and horror, whilst at the same time having immense fun with slick and witty dialogue. At the time of "Revelation of the Daleks"' transmisison, Doctor Who had just been consigned to an 18 month hiatus by nervy BBC bosses, who criticised the series for being too violent and horrific, whilst also being staid and stagnant. How ironic that "Revelation of the Daleks" is perhaps one of the most imaginative and innovative stories that the series ever presented.

What I've done is highlight the one part that's actually accurate.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Oh bollock off, Revelation is great :rant:

(Admittedly, there's not much Doctor Who in the Doctor Who story, but it's still great.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

2 – I’m really NOT comfortable with the Doctor/Peri dynamic right now. Maybe I’m just used to their audio chemistry, but I’m not getting WHY Peri would be traveling with the Doctor right now. They snap at each other instead of talking and Peri whines a LOT (I don’t know if it’s the writing, the accent, or a lack of acting experience at this point, but Nicola Bryant is just NOT enjoyable, even in the pink outfit and red heels). I’m not getting the “volatile best buds” vibe so much as a “one of us is going to die young” impression…

Yeah, that plagues most of Colin's first season and frankly, at least part of the second. He seems to actively hate her and she feels abused.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh bollock off, Revelation is great :rant:

(Admittedly, there's not much Doctor Who in the Doctor Who story, but it's still great.)

For what it's worth, I rate "Revelation" as the third best story in season 22, behind "Vengeance On Varos" and "The Two Doctors", but ahead of "Timelash" and "The Mark of the Rani" (:v:).

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
There's another one day Big Finish sale on, this time it's Dark Eyes, UNIT: Dominion, Love and War and the two Six/Jago & Litefoot stories.

http://bigfinish.com/news/v/one-day-doctor-who-special-offer

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cruel Rose posted:

There's another one day Big Finish sale on, this time it's Dark Eyes, UNIT: Dominion, Love and War and the two Six/Jago & Litefoot stories.

Welp, I still don't have the money to spring for these. Et tu, Briggsy?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

I could swear that UNIT: Dominion used to only be $15 for download. If that's the sale price, it's really gone up, and it's the only time I've seen a Big Finish price increase!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Fungah! posted:

The Six/J&LF audios are only a dollar each, but likewise I have no idea what the idea is with the UNIT:Dominion pricing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

One Swell Foop posted:

There's this clip that starts with a poor audio quality "What do I think of Michael Grade?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4uBQ8Sn2mI

E: 3:30 onwards you get a few good "Michael Grade"s, including an "Oi, Grade, you mean bastard" (in a Dimbleby impression, no less :v:)

THANKS

AND NOW, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO

LET ME TALK TO YOU ABOUT EVIL!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

People posted:

Big Finish and C'rizz stuff

Jerusalem, you haven't really gotten to any stories with C'rizz that are good, with the exception of Natural History of Fear, but that one is more a case of his voice actor being awesome rather than a spotlight on the character. Creed of the Kromon is just okay, and I thought Twilight Kingdom was awful. He's fairly central to the plot of Faith Stealer, which is the next one in the Divergent arc, as well as the Next Life. Faith Stealer I didn't really enjoy on my first listen, and I haven't given it a second shot yet. But I really liked the rest of the stories in the Divergent Universe.

C'rizz is basically a good character stuck in a terrible, poorly thought out story arc that only comes together and gets halfway good in its final audio (Absolution). I really like him in audios that don't feature his character arc because he's basically free of that, and he does bring something to the table that Charley doesn't, despite people saying he's kind of bland and generic. At least I think.

By the way, they never really describe in detail the aliens of the Divergent Universe, except for the Kromon, Eutermysans, and the citizens of Light City (who are very obviously not humanoid). Keep and Perfection are described as humanoid but that should set off alarms that something's not right with them. So I think it's a bit unfair to say the aliens of the Divergent Universe go against what Zagreus establishes. The Divergent Universe may not have been executed the best, but I think more often than not, it's a pretty good arc.

Plus the Kro'ka makes for a pretty good villainous presence. At first, anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remain hopeful that I will be turned around on C'rizz, I have nothing against the actor and I don't even think he's a particularly bad character, he just hasn't (yet) done anything to make himself stand out or bring anything extra to the Doctor/Companion dynamic.

CobiWann posted:

one of his favorite serials.... Attack of the Cybermen.

No no no, nothing about this adds up at all!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cruel Rose posted:

I have no experience with Jago & Litefoot but I will gladly pay a couple bucks for a couple more hours of C. Bakes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've heard Unit: Dominion isn't particularly good but has a superb twist at the end. I also know WHAT that superb twist at the end is. Given this information, is there any reason to pick this up at the not particularly enticing download price they have it at?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

UNIT: Dominion is fantastic, actually, regardless of the twist. I mean, it's miles better WITH the twist, but knowing the twist doesn't make it bad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I've heard Unit: Dominion isn't particularly good but has a superb twist at the end. I also know WHAT that superb twist at the end is. Given this information, is there any reason to pick this up at the not particularly enticing download price they have it at?

Yeah, it's legitimately really, really good. Doubly so if you're a fan of the era it's paying homage to, which the twist and title should clue you into. The story doesn't hinge on fooling the audience, though they managed that to a lot of people, it's fooling the characters.

You might be thinking of the earlier story with a similarly well-known twist, Dust Breeding, which I do feel is mediocre to kinda poor outside of said twist. It's basically the same twist, except in Dust Breeding, the Master didn't pretend to be a good guy while disguised.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

No no no, nothing about this adds up at all!

Yeah. Considering I'm marrying his ex-wife, I wonder if he's trolling me...

On the upside, after sitting through untold episodes of Buffy and My Little Pony over the past few weeks, it was decreed by parental fiat tonight that the kiddo HAD to watch one episode of a classic serial tonight.

My pick? The Ark in Space.

One episode in before bedtime, and this is what she had to say.

"Does Sarah Jane ever NOT get in trouble?!?"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

No. No, she does not.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Still, she fares better than Harry, who is mostly there to be told exactly how useless he is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE!

The hallmark moment and essentially what's bubbling under the surface at all times.

He's Agatha Christie's Hastings, except if Poirot loathed Hastings instead of keeping him as a pet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So when is the best time to listen to any of the stories that were on special today? The Jago & Litefoot stories, UNIT: Dominion and Love & War? I love Big Finish but they're confusing as hell in terms of what fits where.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Dominion comes after the Klein series of audios, the ones that end with The Architects of History. Not sure about the rest though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ha, typical, I have nothing between Blue Forgotten Planet and The Silver Turk. Since I'm still in the mid-50s at the moment, I guess by the time I get up to the former there is a good chance there'll have been another deal and I would have filled the gap.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

So when is the best time to listen to any of the stories that were on special today? The Jago & Litefoot stories, UNIT: Dominion and Love & War? I love Big Finish but they're confusing as hell in terms of what fits where.

Are you interested in chronological by when stuff happened or chronological by release date? I made a Google docs spreadsheet for the latter, if that might help.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I don’t know if I can keep watching Six and Peri. Their dynamic is kind of bumming me out. :smith:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Bicyclops posted:

Are you interested in chronological by when stuff happened or chronological by release date? I made a Google docs spreadsheet for the latter, if that might help.

I would like to see that, but is it any different from the one available on the various wiki(s)?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I don’t know if I can keep watching Six and Peri. Their dynamic is kind of bumming me out. :smith:

If there's just one thing that really makes one appreciate Big Finish...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Watch The Mysterious Planet. Their relationship is actually really nice there (although they're separated for most of the story).

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

CobiWann posted:

I love C Bakes in Big Finish, but actually watching his television episodes can be a real chore. I'm pretty sure that it took at least an entire six pack to get me through Revelation of the Daleks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

McGann posted:

I would like to see that, but is it any different from the one available on the various wiki(s)?

I basically just arranged the stuff on the wiki, including all spin-offs, by the month of release.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Ha, typical, I have nothing between Blue Forgotten Planet and The Silver Turk. Since I'm still in the mid-50s at the moment, I guess by the time I get up to the former there is a good chance there'll have been another deal and I would have filled the gap.

Honestly, you don't NEED to have heard anything but Colditz. In fact, it might be interesting to not have heard the other stories first, because it'd give a different perspective on one aspect of the plot. Plus, Seven's travelling with his companion from the Lost Stories line, so unless you plan to listen to all of those, you're going to be missing SOMEthing.

Love & War is an adaptation of the first VNA that featured Benny, done by BF as an anniversary thing, so there's really no required reading/listening. You don't even need to know who Benny is, as she's obviously introduced in the story as a new face.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

It does eventually even out as Six mellows somewhat.

But then her brain gets taken.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chokes McGee posted:

It does eventually even out as Six mellows somewhat.

But then her brain gets taken.

Really? Brain and brain! What is BRAIN? Just kidding, but she does end up married to BRIAN BLESSED!!

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Jerusalem posted:

As far as I'm aware Voyage to Venus and its sequel are standalone and don't require any knowledge of the actual J&L series. UNIT Dominion should be listened to after the initial Klein audios (Colditz, A Thousand Tiny Wings, Klein's Story, Survival of the Fittest, The Architects of History). It also features a companion from Seven's Lost Stories, but you don't need to know anything about her (and frankly she doesn't really play much of a role in Dominion). Love and War you can jump straight into.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks for the advice/recommendations!

Bicyclops posted:

I just want to avoid, if possible, walking into the middle of what feels like a story in progress. Having a character show up and go AHA! and everybody be,"Oh no it's this guy!" while I'm clueless as to who they are is quite annoying.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Really? Brain and brain! What is BRAIN? Just kidding, but she does end up married to BRIAN BLESSED!!

A fate, according to some Time Lords, worse than death...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

I basically just arranged the stuff on the wiki, including all spin-offs, by the month of release.

Hey, me too! Great minds and all that. Here, I'll share mine with the class. I started it a few months back, partly to get my Excel chops back up to speed before I started my new job, so some stuff will still be listed as TBA. Anyway, here ya go!

EDIT - Just uploaded it as a Google Spreadsheet to make it easier to read on yon Internets. Let me know if anyone wants me to do a spoiler-free version where I limit the "featured" tag to just companions!

DOUBLE EDIT - Argh, the date field got messed up in that last one. I'll figure a way to fix it, just don't try to re-sort them just yet.

After The War fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 23, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is pretty awesome, thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lucy in the Sky with Nimons.

• Locked thread