Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We are talking about subjective opinions here, so there's no way to say that there was a trend one way or the other. Personally I thought the back half of season 7 had a pretty drat good average, even the "worst" episodes like Cold War were still quite good. Season 6 is probably the weakest Matt Smith season as a whole, but it also includes some of the best individual episodes of the revival.

I still think Nightmare in Silver was terrible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I preferred Cold War to Rings of Akhaten.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My big issue with Cold War is that it could have been so much better, there's a lot of potential I don't think is realized. I did love the update on the Ice Warrior costume, but was far less impressed with the "inner ice warrior" reveal, especially the rather lackluster CGI. It's still a good episode, I just felt like it could have been more.

I fully expected to find Rings of Akhaten to be underwhelming and was pleasantly surprised to be swept up in the magical, optimistic feeling of it all. If it hadn't succeeded in doing that for me though, I can imagine the cracks would have been quite apparent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The only thing that I'd be willing to give Rings of Akhaten is that it was great to see the Doctor whip out one of his big, fancy speeches and self-sacrifices and have it not work. Other than that, it's kind of a mediocre episode, I wasn't all that nto it.

Cold War I did like, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know I'm a broken record on this but I just want to point out again that I'm pretty sure his "big scary speech to frighten the bad guys" thing has backfired more often than it has actually worked. He uses it in the Library 2-parter in season 4 and in The Eleventh Hour at the start of season 5 and it works. He uses it again in The Pandorica Opens at the end of season 5 and thinks it has worked, but his enemies are just playing along to bait him further into their trap and it's actually a really neat counter to The Eleventh Hour since it was that arrogance that allowed The Alliance to End Doctormania to form in the first place. He uses it in A Good Man Goes To War and it seems to work, only for it to end up being part of yet another trap to allow the Headless Monks to get the drop on them. He uses it Rings of Akhaten and it turns out not to be enough to stop the "God", and regular old human Clara ends up being the one who saves the day instead.

Also he uses it in The Day of the Doctor and it turns out to be a rabbit he's threatening. :haw:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The big scary speech to frighten the bad guy thing isn't so bad, anyway. It gives the person playing the Doctor a chance to chew on the scenery, the Murray Gold dramatic buildup music a chance to do its job and actually fit, and it allows the Doctor to explain what his plans are. It would be nice if, instead of always being "I'm the Doctor, I'm a million years old and I've seen amazing things. I'm really really great, and terrible, in a great way, and you should be scared of me because of the terrible greatness" it was a little more like "I'm the Doctor, and if it's one thing I have experience with, it's gravity. I've seen the gravity controls for over a million spaceships, and yours was frankly a cinch to work out, so that sinking feeling you're getting right now? It's literally a sinking feeling. You're sinking." If he's going to pat himself on the back, I'd rather it be about whatever the heck he's doing than reciting his made up age and a bunch of oncoming storm stuff.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hmm...I just thought of something.

So next year is the 10th anniversary of the new series, right?

And Capaldi seems intent on playing the Third Doctor 2...

David and Matt love the part and are up to return pretty much anytime...

You know what that means right?

:dance:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The more I think about it, the more I see Peter Capaldi acting like Christopher Lee did on the set of The Lord of the Rings, constantly correcting Moffat on things.

PC: Do you know the noise a Dalek makes when it dies?
SM: No.
PC: Well I do because I killed one!
SM: But Daleks aren’t real…
PC: Because. I. Killed. One.
SM: …right, Peter. Whatever you say. Get the sound crew back, we’re working overtime tonight!

X X X X X

SM: How do you know so much about the show, Peter?
PC: Because I rewatch it every year.
SM: What episodes?
PC: …I rewatch it. Every year.
SM: All of it?
PC: All of it.
SM: Even The Daemons?
PC: ESPECIALLY The Daemons.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Why have you picked The Daemons out? It's generally regarded as a good story and definitely much better than some of the tripe.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You know, I bet I could ask Capaldi what his favorite Big Finish audio is, and it'd be something by Shearman (because he'd have good taste).

...Do you think it would be alright to... kiss Peter?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Daemons is great. Featuring one of my all time favourite Master disguises, Reverend Magister.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why have you picked The Daemons out? It's generally regarded as a good story and definitely much better than some of the tripe.

Because the more I see of the Third Doctor, the more I think Capaldi is going to channel him, so I picked a GOOD Third Doctor story.

(The Daemons is very solid, worth a watch!)

DoctorWhat posted:

...Do you think it would be alright to... kiss Peter?

It’s comments like this that cause unrest.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's the sort of thing GMS would say, though:

http://doctorwho.org.nz/archive/tsv43/onediscussion.html

quote:

I'm talking retrospectively now, when I look back at Doctor Who now. I laugh at it, fondly. As a television professional, I think how did these guys get a paycheck every week? Dear god, it's bad! Nothing I've seen of the black and white stuff - with the exception of the pilot, the first episode - should have got out of the building. They should have been clubbing those guys to death! You've got an old guy in the lead who can't remember his lines; you've got Patrick Troughton, who was a good actor, but his companions - how did they get their Equity card? Explain that! They're unimaginably bad. Once you get to the colour stuff some of it's watchable, but it's laughable.

Then he goes on to defend the Davison era...

quote:

Peter Davison is a better actor than all the other ones, that's the simple reason why he works more than all the other ones. There is no sophisticated, complicated reason to explain why Peter Davison carried on working and all the other Doctors disappeared into a retirement home for lardies.

...and somehow none of the others ask him "What about the Myrka?"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Trin Tragula posted:

...and somehow none of the others ask him "What about the Myrka?"

What ABOUT the Myrka?!? Some say it's a classic!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

More like "Warriors on the Cheap".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

What ABOUT the Myrka?!? Some say it's a classic!

No one says this.

No one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Now, in fairness, that was from about 20 years ago, and I'd like to think he's wised up at least a litle since then. That being said, there's probably a certain appropriateness that Moffat's favourite era of the programme was the one where JNT and Eric Saward had the run of things.

I've read that Moffat and RTD have both named "The Ark In Space" as their favourite classic serial, but I've never thought to see what each of them would have taken away from it that the other didn't.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

At last, we have the truth. Mattdizzle is Steven Moffat.

I actually think the Second Doctor had some of the best companions. I'm admittedly not a huge fan of Ben and Polly, but almost everybody likes Jaime. Victoria mostly exists to scream in terms of the plot, but it's fun to watch her and Jaime react to each other and it sets up a nice contrast for Zoe once she shows up. Zoe is that rare occasion in which somebody wrote a precocious, teenage genius and managed to have it be endearing rather than obnoxious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Vic's best serial, I think...mostly because I haven't seen Evil of the Daleks...was Tomb of the Cybermen, where her only fit of screaming was fake to distract some one, and she was wonderfully sarcastic towards the AMERICAN space captain. That and that wonderful moment between her and the Second Doctor.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

Now, in fairness, that was from about 20 years ago, and I'd like to think he's wised up at least a litle since then. That being said, there's probably a certain appropriateness that Moffat's favourite era of the programme was the one where JNT and Eric Saward had the run of things.

I've read that Moffat and RTD have both named "The Ark In Space" as their favourite classic serial, but I've never thought to see what each of them would have taken away from it that the other didn't.

Well, The Ark in Space is the Best, so of course.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It is always unfair to me to label anything from the Fourth Doctor's era as the best, because he simply is The Doctor.

It's like trying to pick your favorite rendition of You Ain't Nothing But A Hound Dog and always going with the original instead of one of the impersonators, even if they are better singers.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ika posted:

Mainly the company bootstrap inc which is owned by the main POV character in the manifold time book. (And I believe also in the other manifold books, but I haven't read them yet.)
Now you're talking! Read them!

I have read them several times and I still find Cornelius' descriptions of images for the far far future (the far downstream) incredibly evocative and, in the end, chilling and fatalistic.

quote:

Reid Malenfant
You know me. And you know I'm a space cadet.

The trilogy consists of three books:
Manifold: Time.
Manifold: Space.
Manifold: Origin.

They do all include Reid Malenfant as the main character, and all three are incredibly far-reaching in scope. They're just the thing to scratch that itch if you like reading "hard" science fiction. They're not huge books, just dense. I love them. Bear in mind, they are three takes on three topics and not one series of adventures starring the same guy from one book to the next. They each stand alone as studies of different themes, only with recurring characters.

Not trying to start a derail. I'm actually trying to catch up a bit on all the Who universe stuff before August because I'm an old who started watching Dr. Who on PBS and Tom Baker will always be my Doctor. I love the ideas surrounding this Capaldi person and it should be refreshing to see an older actor playing the Doctor again.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 15, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, The Ark in Space is the Best, so of course.

The Ark in Space has always been something I admire rather than like, if you see what I mean. It's very good, and it does a lot of things very effectively, and it has a few wonderful moments, and the first episode is seriously close to masterpiece status...but something about it as a whole just leaves me slightly cold, and no, it's not the bubble wrap. There's something missing that (say) The Robots of Death, The Deadly Assassin, Horror of Fang Rock and Kinda all have, and I've not ever been minded to do the necessary comparative thinking to find out exactly why that is.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Cleretic posted:

The only thing that I'd be willing to give Rings of Akhaten is that it was great to see the Doctor whip out one of his big, fancy speeches and self-sacrifices and have it not work. Other than that, it's kind of a mediocre episode, I wasn't all that nto it.

Cold War I did like, though.

I did like Rings quite a bit. I think the only part I really disliked was when the Doctor held up a hundreds of pounds weighing door by waving his screwdriver. It was great to have John Hurt call the show out for how much the sonic was overused.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Dr. Faustus posted:

Manifold stuff.

I'm planning on reading the other two sometime in the next few months, I like to alternate between space opera, fantasy, urban fantasy, etc. The reveal at the end of manifold time was amazing, the entire point of an universe with intelligent life was to for the intelligent life to advance to the point where it creates as many more universes as possible.

I'm still open for more suggestions for doctor who books. Human nature is proving hard to find, unless I want it shipped over from new Zealand. It was written by the same guy as London falling which I enjoyed so I have high hopes for it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

marktheando posted:

The Daemons is great. Featuring one of my all time favourite Master disguises, Reverend Magister.

I have a colleague in another office (who I've never met) whose surname is Le Maître. I'm onto him.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I have a colleague in another office (who I've never met) whose surname is Le Maître. I'm onto him.

This had better be magical!!!

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Ika posted:

I'm still open for more suggestions for doctor who books. Human nature is proving hard to find, unless I want it shipped over from new Zealand. It was written by the same guy as London falling which I enjoyed so I have high hopes for it.

It's available on the android market in e-book form, if you aren't adverse to the format. There's a lot of Doctor Who books on there, I haven't looked for the Virgin New Adventures though, not sure about them.

Here in Southern California, I have never run in to a Doctor Who book in the wild, no matter how many used book stores I visit.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I saw some of the EDAs in a used bookshop in Greenwich while I was in the UK, but it was one of the crummy ones no one (including me) remembers.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I checked abebooks and they don't even have used copies. I usually buy physical books because I stare at a screen all day at work and most of my books end up being loaned to at least 2 others. I'm not going to be in London or UK for a while :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

At last, we have the truth. Mattdizzle is Steven Moffat.

I'm pretty sure there is a later interview with Moffat where what he said about the older Who stuff is brought up and he says something along the lines of,"God what an idiot I was, and plainly completely in the wrong."

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Zoe is that rare occasion in which somebody wrote a precocious, teenage genius and managed to have it be endearing rather than obnoxious.

Part of this, I think, is because she actually does all of the "smart" stuff for the group. If there's a computer needs looking into, mysterious quiz needs taking, puzzle needs solving, etc. Zoe is usually the one who does it. Showing, not telling. When she and the Doctor do get into arguments, she always comes off looking good, having a point or a different perspective, rather than just being petulant.

Which is a far cry from the usual "This character is smart because everyone keeps saying so. Especially because they keep telling people they're so smart in a very snarky way" school usually seen today.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jurgan posted:

It was great to have John Hurt.

Yes it was.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

Yes it was.

Because of the wording in the contract giving Big Finish access to all pre-Eccleston Doctors, BF produces a new line of audio adventures featuring John Hurt's adventures during the Time War and of course he meets with his earlier incarnations too because this is my fantasy and what I say goes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Potsticker posted:

Because of the wording in the contract giving Big Finish access to all pre-Eccleston Doctors, BF produces a new line of audio adventures featuring John Hurt's adventures during the Time War and of course he meets with his earlier incarnations too because this is my fantasy and what I say goes.

Briggs tries to get around the restriction when he announces a post-revival Doctor will be appearing in a line of Big Finish as a character called,"The Phwoaar Doctor" - pre-sales are through the roof due to a large number of soon to be disappointed David Tennant fans.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Arglebargle III posted:

Was any of the Matt Smith stuff not garbage?

Day of the Doctor was great, and I personally enjoyed series 7, since my biggest problem character-wise with Eleven's run was Amy Pond and not Matt Smith himself. If you don't like it, though, there's no point in forcing yourself (except it might make Capaldi look that much better to you).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

It's available on the android market in e-book form, if you aren't adverse to the format. There's a lot of Doctor Who books on there, I haven't looked for the Virgin New Adventures though, not sure about them.

Here in Southern California, I have never run in to a Doctor Who book in the wild, no matter how many used book stores I visit.

Man, years ago (1999) I went in a used book store, and someone hold sold off an awesome amount of Target novels. Ended ended up buying one of each, which came to 77 books, which wasn't counting the Target books I had already owned. Mind you, most of mine were from the last print runs (the ones with the awesome Alister Pearson covers, and these were all the ones before that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a later interview with Moffat where what he said about the older Who stuff is brought up and he says something along the lines of,"God what an idiot I was, and plainly completely in the wrong."

He says the same thing about his attitude towards women and it's still lovely to this day.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Briggs tries to get around the restriction when he announces a post-revival Doctor will be appearing in a line of Big Finish as a character called,"The Phwoaar Doctor" - pre-sales are through the roof due to a large number of soon to be disappointed David Tennant fans.

Christopher Eccleston announces he will work with Big Finish...in Series 3 of Survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I hate to say it but I don't see Eccleston ever working with Big Finish. He clearly doesn't have any affection for the role in the same way that series fans like Tennant and Capaldi do, and he doesn't do anything that doesn't grab him immediately apparently, and I just don't see the idea of some audio adventures doing that.

• Locked thread