Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I really like the fifth doctor recommendations.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

The inclusion of Four To Doomsday was a bit of a headscratched, honestly. It's not particularly bad, but I'd have recommended something like Kinda.

I would say its one of if not the worst Fifth Doctor Story. The racism, the Adric, the ethnic dancing. The whole thing is so so bad. The only good thing is the amazing spacesuit the Doctor uses.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I'm not surprised that Goku is winning. My real vote is for Douglas Adams. All hail the script editors.

Douglas Adams was a good writer but not a great script editor. The stories during that time were not that great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Well, I am not the Doctor. I did not record a novelty song in the 1970's. That I remember.

(she loved the cards, by the way. She got a kick out of both of them!)

You could have surpressed it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I finally picked the colour one, because it reminds me the most of Niles.

The first doctor could do his laundry without burning it :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

marktheando posted:

These cultural differences are freaking me out. Tell me Americans at least have Christmas cake?

Does booze and hatred of family count?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blasphemeral posted:

Correction: We have a single fruitcake. Each year, the family that has it passes it to their least-favorite person or family. It's like the ultimate shame to be the one to receive the fruitcake on Christmas.
And yeah, no one eats it. It's indestructible.

If you do not have the fruitcake, you have a yankee swap with the sole purpose of making someone cry.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I still think my favorite scene of the early seasons is when Sarah Jane discovers the TARDIS. It is just perfect. I am also pretty sure that its the first time they went yep gently caress it its the same show. They had injokes in season one that it was the same show, like the Cyberman head in Dalek, but that could have just been taken like when you see the old cylons in Battlestar - something cool for the fans. On that note I have seen so much classic Doctor Who and TOS Star Trek is my favorite version, but I could not get the pilot of the original BSG. It was just bad, also that loving monkey/dog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAszjUxMZkE

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 21, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

I liked the bit in the Community con episode where Britta called out the nerds on their institutionalized misogyny...

Talking about Community Brittas a thread.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

"Why would this fellow named Chesterton be so interested in training students to travel with me? I wonder if Chatterfield put him up to this."

That would explain why they have a class dedicated to fighting Aztecs. Also how to talk people out of murdering with rocks 101.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sekkira posted:

You say this as if a decade spanning meta plot wouldn't be AWESOME.

They can then bring the looms out!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

The only acceptable decades-spanning plot is the one in which the Doctor returns to Earth in the distant future just before it is about to explode for whatever reason it's exploding this time and says "Hey, Suse, remember when I said I would be back? Well, here I am! How's tricks with the boyfriend?" and then the shot zooms out and he's talking to a skeleton.

Only if he makes it talk back using the skull as a puppet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

My bet for cute Hartnell references in the next series is on the Doctor finding a pair of anti-radiation gloves.

...drugs.

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoxQKGDPtoo )

It will be him beating a man to death with a rock.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

What is this pic from? I saw it in the OP as well but must've missed any discussion in the last thread.

Someone needs to watch Timelash

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Timelash is overacted nonsense bad, not Twin Dilemma bad

Still better than Time and the Rani!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm sure I did back when my PBS was showing that era in the 80's... there's a quite a few CBakes episodes I probably only saw once, decades ago. I should correct that.

Thanks to this thread I did just introduce my bf to "Doctor in Distress", and that's enough horror for tonight. (How has he been a fan for 30+ years and never heard that?!)

You should tell him that Hans Zimmer was the one who was playing the music.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CobiWann posted:

So we painted the kiddo’s new room this weekend – walls are a horrendous bright Twinkie yellow, but the bedroom door and the closet door are TARDIS blue, and we have a sticker set to put the various signs and St. John’s emblem on to make the bedroom door itself look like the front entrance to the TARDIS. I'll put up some snaps once it's done this weekend or next...

Well, it goes a little further. The kiddo is a HUGE River Song fan. My fiancée is a HUGE River Song fan. I can take or leave River Song. The kiddo really really wants our artist friend to stencil “Hello Sweetie” on one wall in fancy cursive. My fiancée is all for it.

I told my fiancée, after some arm wrangling, that I’ll agree to it, but on one condition…

I get a bleach pen and write on the wall as well. If the kiddo ever turns on a black light in her room, scrawled on the wall will be the words “DON’T BLINK.”

I am either going to be the best stepfather in the world, or the WORST stepfather in the world.

Be the best and teach him about why you should always trust cops/toys/plastic chairs and show him Terror of the Autons. While he is watching it stick a plastic chair in his room. You could also get him a gold math star!

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 26, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

jivjov posted:

Wonderful stories, all of them.

Even Minuet in Hell?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I've skipped that one because EVERYONE says to. But I will say I gladly own both Rani stories. They are hilarious to me. Is Minuet in Hell so bad I won't find it hilarious?

What is your opinion of satin bottoms and Yosemite Sam?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

These are the ones that get to me the most, I think. I think Minuet in Hell is absolutely grating on the ears, but you can tell they were earnestly trying something different. It can at least be funny (the Brig narrating into his computer slowly as he types for wayyyy too long got me laughing in a "what were they even thinking?" kind of way). Red Dawn feels like they weren't even trying.

I guess the only thing worse is to be insulting to the listener's intelligence, which The Rapture certainly is.

Another reason Minuet in Hell is so hated is due to them wasting the Brig.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, but he does some quality typing and narrating that typing out loud for the benefit of the audience.

They should have had him using a typewriter with all the sounds that requires.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Are they honestly going to reference that? I don't wanna sound like a hater but I found that scene (and the entire "Clara all over the doctors timeline" thing) awful. It's turning the entire classic series into a Moffat Metaplot. And it doesn't make any sense anyway!

Watched the War Games again, currently ties Caves of Adrozani for favorite.

They said in the episode that he never saw her, she was just able to stop the GI plans from behind the scenes. The only time he saw her was 1 and 11.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

1 seeing her is what's being talked about, though, isn't it? With Carole Ann Ford recording lines referencing Clara?

I meant the comment about turning the whole classic series into a metaplot, and how it does not make sense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

How does him not seeing her most of the time make it not count as a metaplot, though? :confused:

She introduced him to the TARDIS, that alone should be enough to make it count.

(I actually loved the Clara + timeline thing, but I still think that Dr. Gene Dango MD isn't wrong...)

That she introduced him to the Tardis is just that one moment. It does not add or subtract anything. With Metaplot I think of things that he will try to tie together, and that she was the puppet master behind the events. I see her adventures as sidestories that all involve her dying.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 27, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

How did this fragmented women stop the Great Intelligence? Like, that guys a genius. And she did it every time? Like hundreds of times? Then that just means the great Intelligence isn't that big of a threat. He's already killed himself to do this, and he can't shoot the Doctor or at least say hi?

Also they never explained how they got out of the timeline did they? Like they were looking at Hurt Doctor and then next episode stuff as usual. I thought going in that thing was dangerous.

It was dangrous for anyone other than the Doctor. I mean the way that she saves the Doctor is small things that he does not drown. It was small things like that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

Remember how people used to talk about RTD in mid-2009? Yeah, that, except there isn't quite an obvious successor waiting in the wings.

Ian Levine and Lawrence Miles

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

But think of all the funny hats we'd miss!

Splendid caps, all of them.

Also Romana.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I think she goes by Fred

She is still married to an rear end in a top hat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm very excited that they did this survey. It shows that they're looking to move away from the current paradigm and may start doing audios for the new series or even Star Trek. I agree, a Voyager series done with an actual arc and talented writers would be amazing. I know a lot of this is all just to get an idea of public opinion and some of the properties are probably not something they could get, but if they did even a couple of the cooler things they're asking about, it would be awesome.

I would fear Voyager audios since Star Trek EU is a clusterfuck of awful ideas. I just hope that its the same ship with a diffrent crew.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Oh crumbs.

Well, I guess I'll give it a shot this weekend. Been as while since I've seen it. I mean, it can't be as bad as, say, Timelash.

I would not test that theory.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Not the Twin Dilemma though, I mean, seriously.

It was his skill that it was just poo poo. It could have been a lot worse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

If not, then you know what to do.

Find Sean Connery, and lock all the doors.

If you force him to watch Who, you are forced to watch Highlander 2 and Sir Billi. It's the Connery way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CobiWann posted:

So, what happens if you stand in front of the mirror in a darkened bathroom and say “Colin Baker, Colin Baker, Colin Baker?”

Someone is choked.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CobiWann posted:

"Your plan has backfired, Master. For in that incarnation, you're stuck with that mathematician from E-Space!"

The two bond over different ways of murdering Adric.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zaroff posted:

We need to take inspiration from the classic series when it comes to multi-doctor stories.

What was the first multi-doctor story broadcast as a one-off story around the anniversary? The Five Doctors.
What came a little over a year after that? The Two Doctors, a story with the current Doctor plus the Doctor 4 incarnations before him.

Then what is Three Doctors? Chopped liver?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It would be a shame to not recognize a reboot making a 10 year run because we wanted it to be an unbroken continuation of the original so badly. I don't like old who or audios anything like as much as the new show, and i think it deserves its own respect independent of the old stuff :colbert:

I've noticed a slowly building "Dont mention the 10th anniversary, it takes away from the old show-new show continuity" frame of thought, and i have to say i don't agree with it. (I'll take a "10th anniversary special" with mcgann and capaldi happily)

But the 50th was already that. The stars were from the new series, and the only old Doctor that appeared in new footage was Tom Baker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

After The War posted:

Next Generation and Deep Space Nine are still the gold standards of television revival, and probably the closest to Doctor Who in terms of new fan comfort vs. classic references. We can argue at what point the franchise went to poo poo, but we can all agree it was years and years after they got it back off the ground.

TNG was not that great in the first season, and after a disastrous episode they did not mention the original series until the third.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I actually can't think of an episode in S1 of TNG that I'd call good. Acceptable, maybe. Even enjoyably camp or so-bad-it's-good. But the show didn't even learn how to be actually decent until season 2, and even then it feels more by accident until they threw Maurice Hurley out on his rear end.

Conspiracy was good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Maybe, maybe "Code of Honour".

You mean one of the most racist episodes of a tv show ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I said this at the time, and i'll say it again: Other than the last two episodes of doctor who and something awful dot com, i hadnt seen the name "Peter capaldi" in any internet, print, or video media form. Dumb rule is dumb and spoiled me on a big reveal that i had with the last two doctor regenerations.

(I've also been hit with spoilers for game of thrones, house of cards, and formula 1, thanks SA!)

Its not like it was announced on TV
Capaldi's casting was revealed on 4 August during a live broadcast on BBC One, titled Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor. The live show was watched by an average of 6.27 million in the UK, and was also simulcast in the United States, Canada and Australia.

It was also so well known that he appeared on the 50th.

• Locked thread