Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Doctor Who: "Split seasons are erased from Doctor Who!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

While I'm not the kind of person that can write a J-ru or CobiWann-style writeup, I just have to say that I'm finally listening to the first Dark Eyes and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm American and we usually do that at Christmas :confused:

Well to add another data point, I'm American and I'd also never seen it until Doctor Who.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

Correction: We have a single fruitcake. Each year, the family that has it passes it to their least-favorite person or family. It's like the ultimate shame to be the one to receive the fruitcake on Christmas.
And yeah, no one eats it. It's indestructible.

Correction: We had a single fruitcake. I actually threw it out two days ago.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

That's their collector-submitted line. Basically, Lego-nerds make up and in some cases kit-bash playsets based on, well, anything as long Lego don't have a legal barrier to it, and then users of the site vote on them, the most popular ones getting produced as real products with officially made minifigs and such. A TARDIS that opens up into a console room, plus some Dalek minifigs is pretty much inevitable.

It's inevitable that Doctor Who sets will now get enough votes to be reviewed by Lego, but as far as we know Lego still doesn't have the rights to produce them. It's definitely a positive step, but for now it only means that Doctor Who sets aren't going to be instantly rejected anymore.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I wouldn't read too much into Frazier's comments. I heard someone from the restoration team once describe these kind of thingsin a way that made a lot of sense to me:

• A rumor starts that an episode has been found.
  • Someone at a con or whatever goes up to a cast member and says "I hear Marco Polo has been found".
  • The cast member tells someone else "I hear Marco Polo has been found".
  • Suddenly, the story is no longer just another rumor. Now the story is "Frazier Hines/Wendy Padbury/Whoever says that Marco Polo has been found".

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Say I don't think I've posted this in ages and I just re-upped it to Tumblr, so HERE are the QR codes for an Animal Crossing recreation of the Sixth Doctor's coat that I made AGES BACK.

I shared this with my little sister the last time you posted it, and she really appreciated it, so thanks!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Griff Lee posted:

How many times has the Doctor given a version of this exact speech?

In general, I agree that Moffat has gone to this particular well too many times, but I like it in this case for two reasons. First, Matt acts the hell out of it, and second, this time, the big speech doesn't actually work.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I'm re-watching Day of the Doctor. Despite being a goon for well over a decade, I don't have archives.

Is the moment Tom Baker shows up in this thread? Or another in the live threads? Because I would love to read ten pages of HOLY poo poo.

It's a couple of threads ago, and unfortunately archives seem to be broken right now anyway.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I have a confession to make.

I’ve never seen The Talons of Weng-Chiang, nor do I know who Jago & Litefoot are…

I haven't listened to any of their audios yet, but I found out that they exist from this thread while watching Talons for the first time, and I was so happy to hear about them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Also, you should watch Talons. It's really good if you can handle the casual racism.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I saw "Day of the Doctor" in 3D in a theater. The "Gallifrey Falls No More" painting was especially effective. It was awesome, in fact. :cool:

I'd been under the impression that the limited number of episodes in 2013 was because of the BBC, not because that's what Moffat wanted. Unless you think that RTD would have been able to fight for more episodes better than Moffat could or something?

It's not that Moffat wanted fewer episodes, it's that his mismanagement supposedly put them in a situation where he had to have these big gaps of time between episodes.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is he still doing American Broadchurch?

That is American Broadchurch.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

When I first watched Weng-Chiang, I thought that Li’Hsen Chang would be revealed to be an alien disguised as a Chinese magician. That way it wouldn't be Doctor Who using a racist caricature, it would be an alien creating a racist caricature because that's how the people of Victorian England would have perceived the Chinese. Needless to say, I was disappointed. It really is a shame, because despite how good the serial is, you can't talk about all the good parts without addressing the elephant (or giant rat?) in the room.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Trial of a Time Lord, Part 1: The Mysterious Planet, Part 1.

Meh. I'll take it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I know nothing about Blake's 7, but you people have got me wanting to watch it now.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Good timing since we were just talking about spin-off-ish projects, apparently Paul McGann said that a Five(ish) Doctors Reboot sequel is in the works: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/06/fiveishdoctors-190614210008.html

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'd recommend fully watching both (you've got roughly 8 weeks till the start of season 8) but if you think that'll be too much or you just can't be bothered, I'd highly recommend:

I agree with everything you said, but I don't think he was asking about intentionally skipping anything. I think he was literally just asking if any episodes are missing from Netflix in seasons 6 and 7, besides Day of the Doctor. I believe the only things missing are Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

What was included in the Year of Specials? I only saw the stuff on Netflix and Day of the Doctor, so I was a little confused about some Clara stuff until I saw recaps.

The year of specials was between seasons four and five. Nothing to do with Clara.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Huh. Well what was in it, and when was the snowman episode J-Ru talked about that introduces Clara?

Thanks. Googling Doctor Who Year of Specials didn't really turn much up.

The specials were The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars, and The End of Time.

The Snowmen was the sixth episode of season seven, right after The Angels Take Manhattan.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Watching Snowmen for the first time.

Boy, this is really important and shouldn't have been left out of Netflix's lineup.

I see it when I look at the season on Netflix. I guess it must have been left off at first by mistake?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

FYI the scripts for the first five episodes of the new season have apparently leaked, so be careful online for the next seven weeks!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar :downs:

But in the middle of SDCC hype, do you guys think we'll get any major announcements?

My understanding is there's no official Doctor Who presence at Comic-Con this year since they're doing that world tour thing next month to hype the new season.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

I swear I read something somewhere about a world tour and August 8th being a pre-release screening. Maybe it was eaten by a crack in time. :shrug:

There's a world tour starting on the 7th, but I think it's just a Q&A/panel or meet-and-greet kind of thing with Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman, and Steven Moffat. There are also going to be theatrical screenings of the premiere, but those are a couple days after it airs on TV.

Edit: It's a little concerning that there are still no details up about the New York, Mexico, and Brazil legs of the tour considering they should be happening in the next week or two. http://www.doctorwho.tv/worldtour/locations/

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 5, 2014

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Action Man posted:

I just looked into that, and I was really hoping I could get some details so I could plan to go see them. At this rate, I'll have to cancel something at the last minute if I want to go.

Also, I live right by a Doctor Who themed bar, so I live in hope of buying Capaldi a pint.

A little more Googling shows that the New York event is on August 14, but I still can't find any more details about where it's being held or how to get tickets.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

poo poo poo poo THE TICKETS SOLD OUT

BUT NOT BEFORE I GOT ONE!

DoctorWhat is going to the NYC Deep Breath Premiere, hell yeah!

I can't wait to see that costume in person.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I was actually surprised at how smoothly it went. At noon I just started repeatedly searching for "Doctor Who" until it finally came up at about 12:05. Once it showed up, I put in my information and got two tickets without any trouble. It was much better than the season 7 premiere event, where I slooowly went through the whole process only for the site to error out at the last step multiple times, before I eventually got a completely unexpected email confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

THE COAT is even more spectacular in person. It has to be seen to be believed.

• Locked thread