Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Android Blues posted:

The Doctor has always killed people constantly, Ten is just showboating smugly about how great he is. To be more charitable to him, Doctor Who only really has a loose illusion of continuity, so it's probably fine for him to be "the man who never would!" in that episode and then go on to have an episode where he kills things (or worse, Family of Blood).

I mean, you go back and watch Tom Baker episodes, that guy kills stuff constantly. There's an episode where K9 straight up ices a space policeman with his welding laser and no-one thinks it's odd.

I kind of think that, after the Time War, the Doctor resolved not to kill anymore unless absolutely necessary (the end of Nine's arc was literally him saying he would not repeat killing two species at once). That doesn't mean he never did it, of course- he wasn't perfect. But wasn't "a man who never would" talking about executing someone in cold blood? Granted, it was very over the top and showy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'm actually dreading that, I don't think there needs to be any explanation at all. They didn't need to explain why Karen Gillan appeared in Fires of Pompeii (because she's an actor is why) and those little nods to Eve Myles and Freema Agyeman's previous appearances just made me roll my eyes.

If it works out to make sense then cool, but are there really people out there who would consider it a "plothole" or a continuity error if nobody ever mentioned why the Doctor now looks like a guy who appeared in a different episode years earlier?

It turns out they're all River Song.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

So the Ianto Shrine is apparantly a real thing that exists and it's got fresh flowers all over and???

I feel odd sleeping six minutes from such tragicallly misdirected efforts. No one should care so much about Torchwood.

EDIT: as soon as I posted this, some attractive young women came up to the shrine to peruse the fanart. I may have to reconsider my positions.

Torchwood had its ups and downs (sexy Cyberwoman? what the hell?), but Children of Earth was absolutely brilliant, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Potsticker posted:

1) It's a wikia page
2) It's a poll for people who visit wikia

Those are my guesses.

I wouldn't feel right voting on something like that, because I just don't have the knowledge. If it were only New Who I would, but I don't feel it would be fair to vote for Tennant or whatever as better than people I've never seen. Unfortunately, I'm sure a lot of the voters there don't feel that way, and that biases the list towards the recent. See also: imdb top 250 list (Dark Knight the fourth best movie of all time?).

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Interestingly, this is more or less the reason that the War Doctor exists. Every Doctor has their fans, and casting any of them as the one that took part in the Time War would have been a betrayal of sorts. That war was a horrible experience that demanded that the Doctor do things that he regretted more than anything else he's ever done, to the point where the Doctor himself refuses to 'own' what happened. Whoever did that was going to be cast as a black spot in the Doctor's history, which would have been more offensive to their fans. "Your Doctor was such a bad Doctor that he doesn't even deserve to have the name anymore."

I figured it was just to run up the count on the Doctor's regenerations so Moffat could write the Doctor starting his new cycle when Matt Smith left. The argument that John Hurt was created so no other Doctor would have to destroy Gallifrey doesn't make sense, seeing as the result of Day of the Doctor was that he didn't destroy Gallifrey.

Honestly, Day is a good episode when self-contained, but I really hate the retconning. The Doctor being able to save Gallifrey after nine years of saying it's impossible was incredibly cheap to me, and I didn't like the Time War looking like a Lucasfilm space battle instead of the reality-warping war between Great Old Ones and Outer Gods we were told about.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Is this... are you taking a song from the Scrubs musical episode and making it into a reference only the Doctor Who, have-conversed-with-people-who-have-read-those-awful-novels community reference?

DoctorWhat. It's cool you got to interview our favorite Big Finish writer. I'm glad you got your coat and that the photos of you involve you wearing it in an appropriate setting. But (and this is coming from the guy who watched all of Classic Who, is listening to Big Finish, and is even trying the Sarah Jane Adventures), I think you may need actual help for your obsession.

Technically, I don't think anyone's watched all of Classic Who.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Yeah, the penis-dalek and pigmen story was pretty drat silly, though there were a couple things I liked. There was a funny moment where the daleks are gossiping and one of them looks over his shoulder to make sure no one's watching.

Jerusalem posted:

the story focuses on the rather uninspired romance subsplot between Tallulah the showgirl and Lazlo the failed pig-man hybrid.

Given that he lived in the sewers, I always suspected this was a reference to the 80's Beauty and the Beast TV show. I doubt even Ron Perlman could have saved this one, though.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

Bad Wolf is probably the only time it's been done with any kind of subltly. Unless you're paying especially close attention, you may not even notice it until the Doctor does in "Boom Town".

It's been pretty on-the-nose in that way ever since, with the possible exception of season four.

Yeah, I didn't notice it until the Doctor points it out.

Thrawn, I'm not sure about what you're asking, but I think Rose permanently was given the "Bad Wolf" abilities, but they stayed dormant most of the time. I would have preferred if she had just given the message to Donna- that was more than enough to clue in the Doctor without it being sprayed on every surface.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'll say this though, I can't wait for his inevitable return because they absolutely knocked it out of the park in terms of his look, character and performance. Hell, they even managed to get in the Daleks inevitably betraying him BEFORE he even appeared on screen, one of my favorite parts of that story.

Doctor: You're not in charge of the Daleks, are you? They've got you locked away down here in the basement like, what, a servant? Slave? Court jester?
Davros: .....we have... an arrangement. :mad:

I've seen Journey's End and I've seen Genesis of the Daleks. It seemed like they added a large does of Emperor Palpatine to Davros in Journey's End.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

She's more of a mystery than a character. Amy had the same problem at times, but Clara was far worse. My hope is that now that the mystery has been solved, we'll get some depth added to her. I also hope that the Doctor now appearing far older than her means we can dispense with any silly hints of romance.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

If I recall correctly, the 11th Doctor was already roughly 13-1400 years old by the time they got to that episode, there were significant jumps of time between seasons (and half seasons!).

I'm quite happy they finally got themselves firmly out of the 900s, though I still feel that as he noted in Day of the Doctor, he may be lying about his age anyway (he was older than 900 in the 7th Doctor's time!) or just have forgotten how old he actually is.

That's my assumption. Or, if not lying, he's lost track. I remember how old people are by subtracting their birth year from the current year- if I were constantly jumping around, I'd lose track very quickly. So, I figure he doesn't actually know how old he is and just says whatever sounds good at the moment.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The only thing that I'd be willing to give Rings of Akhaten is that it was great to see the Doctor whip out one of his big, fancy speeches and self-sacrifices and have it not work. Other than that, it's kind of a mediocre episode, I wasn't all that nto it.

Cold War I did like, though.

I did like Rings quite a bit. I think the only part I really disliked was when the Doctor held up a hundreds of pounds weighing door by waving his screwdriver. It was great to have John Hurt call the show out for how much the sonic was overused.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I catalog mine in order of the height of the Doctor starring in it.

So the Seventh Doctor stories are about two shelves down from the others?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

oh my god, my face in this is as close as I've ever gotten to a particulat favored expression of Colin Baker:

If anyone can find the specific image/gif of Six I'm inadvertently recreating, that'd be incredible.

Wait, are you bright coat bravado (or something like that) on tumblr? Because I just saw this picture.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Burkion posted:

OK, first, putting quotations around black implies that they were not black which they were and you cannot deny that they had some...troublesome implications.

Those troublesome implications are the ones that just smash the rest of your points apart.

Like the time that they tried to steal from the Doctor at every turn except the one that got brain damage so they LIED TO HIM AND CONVINCED HIM HE WAS A ROBOT SLAVE AND THAT WASN'T GOING TO CHANGE COME THE REST BUTTON ENDING.

Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS wasn't my least favorite episode (that was probably Let's Kill Hitler), but it was definitely the most disappointing. I was pumped to see what the inside of the TARDIS looked like, and almost all we got was "run around corridors in the BBC offices." Also the guest characters were awful, the Doctor himself was a dick, and any plot development in his relationship with Clara was literally reset.

quote:

Nothing against Clara, but her story's already run its course, now she's just there to help us transition into Capaldi. Hopefully she's got good chemistry with him, but either way, I can't wait for the first companion for his Doctor (whatever his Doctor ends up being like).

That's all true. I'm not too fond of Clara, but I'm glad she's sticking around for a while. I had trouble with the transition to 11 because they changed everything at once- doctor, companion, TARDIS... I suppose Moffat wanted to make it easier for new viewers to jump onboard, but for me it was too jarring, as opposed to the 9->10 regeneration where we had Rose to keep us steady.

Oh, and the poll: Apparently people really hate Fear Her, but I don't get why. Love and Monsters was pretty good until the last ten minutes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Interesting... I'm starting to think one of the places I depart from the consensus is that over-the-top imagery doesn't bother me as much as others. I wasn't put off by the messianic imagery in Last of the Time Lords, and the Doctor running with the torch was silly but didn't really upset me. And everything up to then was great- I love the parallel between a lost alien child and an abused human child. Still, "the power of love" wrapping everything up was pretty bad. That's the same place The Snowmen failed, where a family crying on Christmas somehow defeated The Great Intelligence.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

158/159. I forgot The Android Invasion.

Sheesh, I got up to fifteen and gave up. I seriously need to catch up on Classic Who (so far I've seen Genesis of the Daleks, Spearhead from Space, and that's it). Can anyone recommend some good Classic stories with The Master? Preferably ones that are on Netflix instant.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

You know, contrary to my usual self I don't want to be a downer so I'll post this here, but I feel like the "hate watching Doctor Who" thread has kind of run its course.

The one where that Occupation guy was forced to watch NuWho? Yeah, I skimmed through the first page, expecting to be angry, but I was more bewildered than anything. Like, are we watching the same show? I really don't care if people like different things than me, but I always try to understand where they're coming from, and in this case I was simply lost.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I forget where he said it, but I remember hearing a very respectable reason Moffat gave to that; Every Doctor is somebody's Doctor, including McGann. But the War Doctor isn't even the Doctor's Doctor, he's a man that committed unspeakable acts so against what the Doctor stands for that he himself refuses to acknowledge him as one.

As good as McGann is, I can appreciate that reasoning for not casting him. Making a pre-existing Doctor the one that ended the Time War would be akin to pointing at that Doctor's fans and going 'your favorite is wrong'.

Except that the way Day of the Doctor worked out, the War Doctor didn't do that unspeakable thing. So if that's how you're going to play it, why not have Paul McGann be the one who refused to do the unspeakable and worked with the others to save Gallifrey?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Well, those were a lot of words that probably would interest me if I knew what you were talking about. But, not knowing what Jubilee is or most of the other references (I gather at some point the Doctor was supposed to be an ancient god?), I couldn't really follow it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

"Midnight" is a fantastic episode. One thing I notice is that it's very similar to a Twilight Zone episode called "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street." It has very similar themes of a small, closed group of people turning on each other because they're afraid of a mysterious alien.

"Midnight" is what's referred to as a bottle episode, one that has a small cast and few sets- normally this is done to save money, although I think I read this was still pretty expensive. At first, I thought this would make a good stage show, but in hindsight that would be a huge risk, because if either the Doctor or the monster slipped out-of-sync on even one line, it would instantly break the spell. I imagine they had to go through a lot of takes on this episode.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I remember an article in DWM where the talked to some NA authors, and one said that you cant make the Doctor the main character because you can't know what he's thinking. Which, to me, is bullshit, because if 26 seasons taught us anything, it's that you ALWAYS know what the Doctor is thinking, because he always says what he's thinking. That's what makes the character such a joy to watch.

It could be argued that the companion is often the main character. The Doctor is usually the protagonist, the one who takes action, but often we see from the viewpoint of the companion. That's certainly the route Davies took, introducing us to Rose first and, through her, learning about the Doctor. And I gather "An Unearthly Child" started with Ian and Barbara exploring and stumbling upon the Doctor, and they serve as our surrogates. Basically, when you have an out-there concept or a confusing character, it's common for the main character to be a normal person who observes the unusual person. That's why Arthur Conan Doyle told his Holmes stories from Watson's POV- it's hard to put yourself in the mind of a supergenius, but it's possible to describe such a person from the outside. Timothy Zahn did the same thing with Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

No, but THIS is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGATv4vDxsM

Here's a GIF I made of my bit:

I don't know about everyone else, but for me I start associating people on forums with their avatars. So I'd been picturing you as John Hurt, and then I see this video and you're probably younger than I, and it's just a weird disconnect.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Burkion posted:

What the hell you must think of me, I haven't the foggiest.

Robot Strong Bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Who am I...?

I'm Jean Valjean!

• Locked thread