Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, okay. I guess most of the post City of Death stuff was a bit forgettable. I should have gone with Son Goku anyway.

I think I've given GBS their fun with the drat whale, it's probably about time for some smug Hartnell. Here are the options I'm considering, I can't make up my mind:

1:
2:
3:

Leaning towards 3, though dat hat in 1 is certainly a compelling case.

Oh, and about the OP, I actually found a site reviewing the BF dramas that gushed about how perfect Minuet In Hell is!

Some Guy posted:

Minuet In Hell Mind of Evil - Meets - The US TV Movie
Pace & Development:
Originality:
Characterisation & Acting:
Intrigue:
Score:
85%

McGann delivers his finest performance to date in a story so brilliant weaved together that every scene is engaging. The roles of the Brigadier and Charley are well used and the strands of the plot drift in and out of each other in an enjoyable adventure with a great deal of depth.

Original link

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I like Sirens of Time a little more than other people do. Big Finish is definitely still stumbling to its feet and finding its identity, way more than even the second story or any after, but it's not offensively bad, just kind of awkward.

I actually only remember the submarine episode and the climax. And then only for the trash chute scene in the latter. I liked the sub bit, anyway! :shobon:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Right, "White Hole". I think "Holoship" had a similar scene with Rimmer which I must have confused it with.

I think Holoship has him saying he doesn't understand Casablanca for similar selfish reasons. And half an hour later, he's pulling a Rick to save Jane Horrocks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Just to reiterate: I didn't. Or rather, I thought they didn't have the rights to do it. Imagine my surprise!

I see what you did there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The story still works if you know it going in, like I did. The actor is just a joy to listen to, and Tracey Childs isn't half bad either. And once the reveal happens, McCoy is also ON FIRE.

"What now, Mmmmmaster? If you rrrefuse to let them into your TARDIS... the Major will shoot you. If you tell them who you rrreally arrre... the Major will still shoot you..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Just got to the end of ep 3 of UNIT: Dominion. Saw that one coming a mile off. Raine is a complete non-entity of a companion. Does she get better?

I think Dominion is actually her most recent appearance. She's from the Lost Stories line. Having not listened to any of those (I did buy Crime of the Century when it was on sale for 3 quid, but I haven't played it yet), all I got from her was 'posh thief'. So basically Lady Christina from that Ten special, except bland instead of annoying.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, who got all the nuclear launch codes because they were the only nation that could be trusted, hmm? :smug::britain:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yep. I may be about to buy Spearhead from Space for a third time...

Be aware, that disc has basically no extras, so you're paying solely for the serial in HD. I wish they'd put the commentary on it, at least. :( On the other hand, the easiest way to get the bonus-laden version now is paired with the other Auton story, so that's something?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Helen Brittas and Lucy Saxon have a lot in common!

HOT SCOOPZ: CHRIS BARRIE TO PLAY DR WHOS MASTER???

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ludicro posted:

You are joking right? I mean some of that stuff has to be from the 90s yeah?

That shot of the Time Lord citadel is clearly from the new series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You didn't miss anything. There's a timey-wimey component to the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The boxsets have been OK in that respect for me. It's more the earlier stuff, before MP3 was a thing for them, so they're basically just CD rips.

You're all good if The White Room starts with The Doctor being held at gunpoint in his house by Molly's 'cousin'

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

As Davros1 said, they're not allowed to really, but they don't have to expect the listeners to be completely ignorant of the New Series, so they can play with the themes and tease as much as they like. The politics that might lead into a Time War are totally open to them - they just can't do an audio about John Hurt sealing the Nightmare Child into the Medusa Cascade or whatever cool-sounding background dialogue RTD came up with.

I haven't listened to any of Gallifrey, but isn't Juliet Landau's version of Romana implied to be from the new series' era? Or did I misunderstand a blurb on some wiki that I may have read, or possibly just dreamt I did?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

BF would love to have it, and Tennant has said he'd come back, but my guess is they probably wouldn't even begin to negotiate until their current license expires in 2016.

Tennant would record about a million audios if that happened. Like that Dead Ringers sketch where he played the Second Tony Blair.

"A HUNDRED MORE YEARS!!!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gordon Shumway posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Back up. They've got Juliet Landau playing Romana in audios? That's...awesome. Tell me there's a multi-Romana story with her and Lalla Ward.

As I understand it, a lot of that season is exactly that, the two Romanas manoeuvring against each other. Plus there's a Three Romanas Companion Chronicle. (Sadly recorded after Mary Tamm passed)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heh, post 50th and the Doctor's travelling with a pair of teachers from Coal Hill. Cute, Moffat, cute.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's a similar body horror thing, but the clockwork dudes are pretty bogstandard killer robots with a cool look. The Cybermen are scary because they're sapient and autonomous when they do their thing. These guys aren't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In about 6 years you're going to hear the LOUDEST scream a teenage girl has ever made.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's a spoiler/twist that is either telegraphed a mile away, or makes a listener go "oh, man, I should have seen that coming!"

It's a really well executed reveal though. The sound of the TARDIS arriving is one of those :aaa: moments.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ahem, William Russell is The Doctor, Frazer Hines is The Doctor and Some Impressionist is The Doctor, too!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 26, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, there's a few points where Frazer's performance slips too, Russell's is... um... his acting's fine, and Treloar (forgot his name and, pfft, googling's for wimps) isn't bad most of the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chairman Mao posted:

Katy Manning's Third Doctor sounds a lot like Jon Pertwee if Jon Pertwee sat down and smoked like four packs of filterless cigarettes before every shoot.

So, like Katy then?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh. TLatE made me want to watch The Five Doctors again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

They said in the episode that he never saw her, she was just able to stop the GI plans from behind the scenes. The only time he saw her was 1 and 11.

But she knocked so hard on that window at the Seventh Doctor!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Moffat's dick waving is the worst thing about his legacy to Doctor Who; the Time Lords coming back and the regeneration limit could've been handled so much better by any other writer, but he just has to pull his knob out, swing it around and dare anyone to do the same.

Of course being Moffat he then goes and wipes it all over an actresses face as well.

The bastard.

Oh for gently caress's sake, is it 2020 yet so we can stop acting like Moffat eats babies?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

Man, but who even knows what he'll have said by 2020?!

People can come down hard on his writing*, but he really doesn't come off as a great guy.

* Sort of. It's not that suddenly goons just turned against him for no reason; his episodes under RTD, and his first season as showrunner, are genuinely better than the things he's done since. That's why people criticize him more now when previously they'd sung his praises.

I realise he's got some issues with women. But the way some people talk, not a single word he's written in his career is worth the paper it's printed on, and that's just as absurd as claiming he's a flawless saint. He's a very talented guy, who may have bitten off too much as a producer, and could use a Feminism 101 course.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Colin and Maggie are great in it, as always. But you'd hope that a story where the Doctor is portrayed as a child eating villain would at least be engaging and interesting.

Having only begun to listen to it, I think the cold open is part of the issue. There's like half the first episode spent establishing the Sandman as a monster, but it's also clearly Six because of the description, which would've been a good way to establish tension if the Doctor was unaware of his reputation. Except he is aware, so he could've exposited that for us and had more of the first ep set up the mystery of WHY he's seen like that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

i'm iffy on actual lego sets BUT LEGO DOCTOR WHO: THE VIDEO GAME WOULD BE loving INCREDIBLE!

That's their collector-submitted line. Basically, Lego-nerds make up and in some cases kit-bash playsets based on, well, anything as long Lego don't have a legal barrier to it, and then users of the site vote on them, the most popular ones getting produced as real products with officially made minifigs and such. A TARDIS that opens up into a console room, plus some Dalek minifigs is pretty much inevitable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Did BBC Worldwide have a deal with someone else for building toys based on Who?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, a remake is literally the same story again. Reboot is same concept, starting over from the beginning (same as when you reboot or 're-start' :haw: a computer!). Who is neither of those. Arguably neither is the new Star Trek, as they went out of their way to make it an alternate reality, but meh, splitting hairs.

LividLiquid posted:

Before finishing the reboot, I didn't realize how much you guys talk about audios. It's like, waaaaaay more than the show. I suppose that's natural since it's not on the air right now.

That, and J-Ru and CobiWann's reviews are good conversation starters. As well as the new series of Dark Eyes having just come out, which is as close to new episodes as makes no difference.

On a different note, though. I bought Enemy of the World on Xbox Video and episode 5 cuts off in the middle of a scene! <:mad:>

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Even in the largely terrible Juggernauts, they remember that Mel was supposed to be a computer programmer.

On the other hand, she's basically a TV h4xx0r, in that being able to write BASIC in 1984 apparently qualifies you to work on AI for robots in the far future.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Have you tried reversing the polarity of your cash flow? :smug:

I think they lock you up for that on this planet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the more glaring issue was the base of those Daleks. They looked like bumper cars, which gave them the feeling of a bunch of short guys wearing platform shoes to look tall. The colour coding was a nice idea, basically trying to keep the homogeneity of the Daleks, while giving them a caste system so that you could have some variety in personalities for them. As much as we criticise the overuse of Davros, you do kind of need some kind of mastermind or authority figure for the Doctor to speechify at. He's not the kind of hero that ploughs through legions of faceless hordes, he debates and tricks the leaders, that's his thing. But the execution just fizzled.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Something similar shows up in Spare Parts to explain the lack of emotions, and I think Spare Parts predated Rise/Steel.

Spare Parts is allegedly the basis for Rise/Steel, to the point that Platt gets a credit, if I recall. Of course they didn't give Terry Nation one, which seems unfair! :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The whole thing reads like good old Uncle Tewwence took over the keyboard for a couple of pages.

"No, Terrence, Torchwood don't even HAVE a Raston robot!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

They should bring back the Raston Warrior Robot.

I'm trying really, really hard to limit myself to the one Terrence Dicks speech impediment joke... You're not making it easy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I hope they pursue some of those licenses they bring up in the 'would you buy if we made these' question! Especially Farscape.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, Mulgrew would probably do it, but not sure about the rest. And CBS are really, really anal about new things in the franchise.

The Prisoner could be interesting. Or a trainwreck. Either way, I'd buy it.

And god, that idea of a subscription that lets you stream the whole library? YES.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Excelsior audios! Oh myyyy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish has tried to get a Star Trek license in the past, the idea being it would be a wholly original ship with a original crew, but Paramount wasn't interested. They also tried to get the license for James Bond as well, but nothing came of that either.

Oh, I'm not expecting even 5% of the ideas in that list to come to fruition, but even 1 or 2 would be cool.

• Locked thread