Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Okay, I'm finally ready to start prepping for August. If I want to appreciate Peter Capaldi as much as possible before the new season airs, do I just watch "In the Loop" and "The Thick of It" or is there something else I should add to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

You could see him as the reverse Doctor in World War Z.

I noticed that in his film credits!

Clever.

I've already seen The Fires of Pompeii. Loved him in that even before he was announced as the next Doctor. And I've been meaning to catch some Torchwood for a while now anyway, so if he's got a major role in that season, I'll definitely watch it. Thanks!

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Just finished running through Torchwood: Children of Earth. Uh, when you all said Peter Capaldi played a government agent in this show, I assumed you meant he'd be working with Jack Harkness, not working to loving blow him up :psyboom: So that was a surprise.

Also, I watched it after marathoning The Thick of It, so seeing Capaldi go from Malcom Tucker to a cringing middle-management type was really disorienting. He was fantastic in both roles, though. August can't come soon enough.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

I went to a lovely comic convention over the weekend. They were selling old fanzines and I picked up this

I still don't know what Timelash is or why people have strong opinions about it, but I added it to my playlist for this summer's classic Who marathon, so I guess I'll find out!

There was also the cutest little Doctor you ever did see

(Also, obligatory "Oh my god that trailer" :swoon:)

Cygna fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 14, 2014

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Was any of the Matt Smith stuff not garbage?

Day of the Doctor was great, and I personally enjoyed series 7, since my biggest problem character-wise with Eleven's run was Amy Pond and not Matt Smith himself. If you don't like it, though, there's no point in forcing yourself (except it might make Capaldi look that much better to you).

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

What a Judas posted:

I just started watching this a few months ago (Eccleston forward). I really, really like Tennant, but from what I'm reading, I should go back and check out the previous doctors? I'm kind of a video snob, in that I'm spoiled by modern technology. Will the low tech of the prior serials bother me, do you think? I tried starting from the very, very beginning and I couldn't stomach it.

I did a "best of" marathon of the classic series while I was trying to adapt to Matt Smith. Don't start from Hartnell expecting to like it right away. He's great in his own way, but the series hadn't figured out what it wanted to be at that point, so the episodes are long and incredibly boring for people used to the modern stuff. It starts to take shape closer to what the series is now starting with Troughton's first episode, and then evolves over time.

Everyone in this thread will recommend different stuff about classic Who, and I'm kind of a newbie by comparison, but this is the viewing list I've been giving to friends who're trying to get into the old series: http://pastebin.com/WSCp5whq

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The lesson here is that Jon Pertwee can still charm his way into people's hearts :allears:

This is true! Tom Baker is great, but out of the classic Doctors, Pertwee just puts the biggest grin on my face. He's so disdainful and annoyed with everything, like a cat that got pushed off the couch, but sometimes he forgets and just lets himself be happy :3:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

I adapted myself to the oldest stuff (Hartnell through Pertwee) by running it while I worked on a craft project. Not giving it your full attention, you miss some parts, but you also don't wear out as quickly. I was able to run through several serials a night, and by Planet of the Spiders it had completely won me over. Watching the rest of the classic series after that was easy since I was already used to it playing for hours at a time.

I do have to go back and rewatch some serials that I couldn't appreciate fully because I was distracted, though. Mainly Inferno.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

You could not appreciate Inferno?

I didn't pay enough attention while it was playing, so I missed a lot. All I can remember is that everyone in bizarro-world was a Nazi? It deserves more than that, so I'm going back to watch it properly.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

So is Orbis just going to be two straight episodes of ~The Lucy Miller Show~, or is there a compelling reason to actually listen to it?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

FreezingInferno posted:

I concur, as Orbis is a very good audio story. But man, who doesn't want ~The Lucie Bleedin' Miller Show~?

Not me, I guess. I don't know, I really enjoyed Donna as a companion, so you'd think I'd like Lucy too, but something about her just grates on me. :shrug:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

So did he just break this guy's neck or what? I could never tell for sure.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

I watched The Ark last night (I think someone here recommended it a while back). It was pretty tight and well-paced for a Hartnell serial, and the twist reveal at the end of episode 2 with the slow pan up the statue genuinely surprised me. In all, it was a really enjoyable watch. Though I kind of want a count of how many times the original series used the "There are totally aliens here, they're all just conveniently invisible :iiam:" excuse.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Okay, you all were right, Orbis was pretty great. "I'm sorry, do I know you?" :allears:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Another incredibly brief teaser trailer for the new season

I can't believe how sold I am on Capaldi before I've even seen his first episode :allears:

People thought I was crazy for ranking Capaldi as one of my favorite Doctors when he's only had thirty seconds of screentime, but they'll see! They'll all see. Or Moffat will somehow gently caress this up and it'll be the biggest disappointment ever

CobiWann posted:

What happens when I toss and turn and decided to pop in a serial to help me fall asleep?

I don’t know how the thought process worked, but The Android Invasion led me to dream about A Town Called Mercy…starring the Third Doctor and Jo Grant.

Pertwee dreams are fun. My favorites are Pertwee and a wizard Liz Shaw climbing a lighthouse to defeat an evil psion and save his alchemy golem, and Pertwee and Sarah Jane fighting a zombie from the Great Depression.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

NarkyBark posted:

For one thing, forget the companion romance: "There'll be no flirting, that's for sure. It's not what this Doctor is concerned with. It's quite a fun relationship but I did call and say, 'I want no Papa-Nicole moments.' There was a bit of tension with that at first, but I was absolutely adamant."

This is probably the best news I've heard yet. Thank god, Moffat will just have to go to Tumblr to get his fix like all the other shippers instead of having his actors play it out for him.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

After The War posted:

If anybody hasn't gotten it yet, buy Neverland. Don't listen to it until you've done the season leading up to it, but when you do get there, you'll be glad you have it.

As I've posted before, it's the turning point at which I went from "Doctor Who fan enjoying this Big Finish thing" to "dedicated Big Finish fan". One of the finest Doctor Who moments ever recorded, and a perfect example of the benefits of long-form storytelling and (gasp) an "expanded universe."

What constitutes a season in the main range audio plays? Would that be all the stories back to a certain point, or just the Eighth Doctor ones?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Donna was my favorite companion in the series by far, and the way they got rid of her at the end of the season genuinely shocked and upset me way more than a silly TV show should. :smith: Her and Wilfred both, really--I've made peace with Moffat's "cracks in time" plot, but never with the fact that it means Wilfred forgot he got to pilot a spaceship and save the world. Forgetting is worse than death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I never even remotely considered for even a second that Wilf doesn't fully remember everything he and the Doctor did together and I'm surprised that anybody even thought it was a thing. I guess people are talking about the Doctor being wiped out of time at the end of The Big Bang? But Amy promptly remembers him back into existence in the same episode, which means that the universe remembers him again, which means that all his companions remember him too.

In short:

:colbert:

I was thinking more of the scene near the start of Moffat's run where the Doctor is wondering how the hell nobody remembers the Daleks, given that they kidnapped the entire planet just last season, and comes to the conclusion that the cracks in time had erased everyone's memories of aliens interfering with Earth. My first reaction to that was that Ten's fears had been realized and he'd been forgotten by everyone [on Earth] after all, and my second was "Oh no, Wilf :ohdear:"

• Locked thread