Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Goku was showrunner during Trial of a Time Lord, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It might've been because I was in school at the time, but I still think that the school setting really worked for the story. It had to be a modern setting, and something relatively innocent. You want both a nice positive place to serve as the backdrop for the reunion with Sarah Jane, and a location for an infiltration mystery, and a school is pretty much perfect for that. A school's also a fairly large and varied area, so it actually serves as a fairly visually interesting location since you can have so many scenes set in different yet clearly related settings.

It's also a great way to get Mickey involved, since while the stakes are important, they're low enough that he's not really left behind. He's arguably as important to the whole 'reunion' part of the story as Rose, because he's essentially the counterpart to K9, so a story local enough to get him involved was necessary too.

Also, little thing, but it lets Rose get a bit of an edge over Sarah Jane. Not much, but with Sarah Jane being a really strong part of the narrative and essentially displacing Rose in the 'companion' slot for it, Rose would have been completely overshadowed were they not in a modern school; Sarah Jane might not think the vacuum-packed rats are anything noteworthy, but Rose is young enough to know that's not right.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CobiWann posted:

And thanks, Jerusalem, for a write-up of one of my favorite episodes of the new series – top five, easily. It was a case of a returning companion handled correctly. The scene where Sarah Jane stumbles upon the TARDIS and Ten just quietly says “hello, Sarah Jane,” part of me was thinking “The Doctor’s happy to see her” and the other half thought “he has no idea what to do or say in this situation.” And Sarah Jane was probably thinking the same thing – here’s the Doctor, which means things are MUCH worse than they appear, but it’s going to turn out ok in the end.

Having listened to a good chunk of audios and watching a lot of the televised serials, I appreciate that Doctor Who doesn’t fall back on its own continuity in order to tell a story. Sure, there are reoccurring villains and a few secondary characters who reappear, but there has never been a case where I’ve felt completely and utterly lost, wondering “who’s that guy” and “what the hell is up with these aliens?”

The kiddo’s first exposure to Sarah Jane was School Reunion and she dove right into the Sarah Jane Adventures without hesitation. She didn’t know who Sarah Jane was, but School Reunion told her enough to know that Sarah Jane is awesome without having to know anything else about the history between her and the Doctor.

Yeah, I should also say I didn't know who Sarah Jane was at the time. But I did put together that she was from the classic series, and I respected it for that. The non-verbal stuff largely flew over my head, because my Asperger's was a whole lot worse back then.

It was K9 that worked better for me. Probably in part because I knew the classic series had a robot dog, so he was more of a known 'classic series entity' to me than Sarah Jane. He was also a bit more in-tune with what I was into at the time, and was something I was better equipped to understand, so he worked a lot better to me.

EDIT: I was apparently 14 at the time, judging by the Doctor Who wiki. So yeah, early-mid teen with Asperger's, I connected with K9 more than anybody else in that episode.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 21, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DoctorWhat posted:

Not really. It's a mechanism to cut out 2-4 episodes of the Doctor running off to get Letters of Transit or whatever other dumbass credentials are stuck between him and the actual plot. It's very New Who.

It's New Who's idea for solving the same sort of problem the sonic screwdriver initially existed to solve: you don't want the Doctor to be stopped by something mundane and boring. Locked doors are a really lovely way to keep the Doctor out of somewhere, so the sonic screwdriver solves it. You want to keep the Doctor out of a room, you've gotta try harder than that.

The Psychic Paper essentially solves the organic equivalent of that. As fun as it might be every so often to have the Doctor not be trusted by those around him, for the most part you don't really want it to be a problem, so having insta-credentials helps against that. Moffat uses it far less than R.T.D., though, I guess he's more fond of the Doctor having to prove himself to a bunch of people who've never met him.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 24, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or you could just write it so neither of those things are a problem? It makes you be more creative, but creativity is what's good about things like Doctor Who.

Yeah, that's what Moffat generally does. I think Eleven pulled out the psychic paper for such a thing once, and it failed.

I can see where R.T.D. was coming from in introducing it, because in his run the Doctor ran into... a lot of organized groups with rather a few lethal weapons, who would have immediately imprisoned him if he didn't have some sort of excuse. Having him deal with that every second episode would have gotten boring quickly, so giving him an 'out' would let him write those stories without having to constantly think of ways out. It's still possible to have the Doctor be imprisoned even with the psychic paper on his side, too, it just takes a little bit of creativity to come up with a reason why not.

I suppose it's a shortcut that came about in the R.T.D. years, similar to Ten's heavy use of technobabble. It might have come from the same place as the screwdriver's unlocking ability, but it probably had the opposite effect: With the screwdriver making the 'boring' problem of locked doors trivial, they had to be more creative about finding ways to keep him out of places. The psychic paper on the other hand could stifle creativity, making the problem in question a really easy solution unless you arbitrarily want it to be a thing this week.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I feel a bit bad that I just can't really remember this episode on demand, because people really seem to like it. Maybe I should dig out my season 2 box set and watch it.

Can anybody tell me, are the Clockwork Men at all comparable to the Cybermen in their good stories? Jerusalem's description of them seems to check a lot of the same boxes as when you guys describe a 'good' Cybermen depiction.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I could easily see the Time Lords having both of these sides, honestly. Bureaucratically-bound and too overly-governmental to be much more than a pain most of the time, but when their backs are against the wall they can be properly terrifying.

Perhaps the former even evolved out of the latter. Time Lords have to be bound by massive amounts of red tape most of the time, because if they aren't they'll obliterate the universe with their crazy bullshit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Looke posted:

Just watched Utopia on tv. Completely forgot what an excellent episode it is. Probably my favourite of the Tennant era.

As soon as he pulled the fob watch out, I remember being like "oh hell no".

Utopia would probably flow better if they didn't have Derek Jacobi announcing that he's the Master, so it dawns on us in the same way and at around the same time as it does the Doctor.

In the commentary (I should pick up way more Who DVD boxsets, because these guys are great with commentaries) they specifically said that while that would have probably worked better, then they wouldn't have had Derek Jacobi saying he was the Master.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CobiWann posted:

You’re absolutely right in that Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel just…didn’t have that something to push it over the top. They were serviceable episodes that introduced the Cybus Cybermen and set up their part in Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, but…they didn’t NEED to be an all-new Cybermen. But forced conversion, airships, and a mad genius ala a subpar version of Davros are just so cool, are they not? And throw in another mindtrip for Rose Tyler involving her father, an…

In a way, it kind of reminded me of Victory of the Daleks. Oh, it LOOKED cool with the olive-green Daleks adorned with the Union Jack and then the big, colorful, shiny Daleks that looked great in high definition…but whatever happened to those Daleks? I honestly can’t recall if they showed up in any capacity in Asylum of the Daleks, that’s how “meh” it all was.

And aren’t the Cybermen in Closing Time from an old-school crashed Cybership anyway? So what was the POINT of the Cybus Cybermen, except to “update” them and make them “cool” again?

It’s like someone in the next Star Trek TV series bring in the Borg, exact same motivations, exact same catchphrases, exact same look with a few modifications, but the only thing different is their origin. But they’re STILL the Borg.

The big brightly-colored Daleks that looked a bit like Apple products had a bit of spotlight in EU stuff like the adventure games, but I think generally those Dalek models just didn't work as well as they thought they would, compared to the old classics. Making them bigger was probably the best idea there, since they definitely feel like they'd work better for dramatic scenes if they stand at around head-height, but you really can't be intimidated by fluorescent green and cherry red Daleks. I also remember somebody around SA (General Ironicus, maybe?) pointing out that whenever somebody was shooting those Daleks they'd really make a point to not show them from the back, because the back of that design looked kinda crap.

The Cybus Cybermen might've been similar, but more experimental in nature. Do a slightly new take on the Cybermen, separated from the 'classic' versions so that you don't have to get too tied up in canon - an entirely isolated effort to make the Cybermen work, controlling as many variables as possible. I think they succeeded, if not necessarily with flying colors; of all the classic villains of the series, the Cybermen perhaps needed the most retooling to reach a respectable state. And while the Cybus variants might have been retired when their storyline was done, the work wasn't, and when the Mondasian versions returned it was very much with those lessons taken to heart.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Utritum posted:

Paul McGann just shared this on twitter:

https://twitter.com/pauljmcgann/status/443116279969644544

I want to believe.

McCoy did apparently say he knew who they were casting as the new Master...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, much as I'd be over the moon if McGann were to come back, this is pretty clearly what's going on here. Not to burst any bubbles or anything

That does feel like the most logical explanation, but the fact he's sharing it now, long afterwards and apropos of (as far as we know) nothing, and while we know the current season is filming, raises some flags. It's probably nothing, but I'd say there's maybe a 30 percent chance it's not.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It would be a shame to not recognize a reboot making a 10 year run because we wanted it to be an unbroken continuation of the original so badly. I don't like old who or audios anything like as much as the new show, and i think it deserves its own respect independent of the old stuff :colbert:

I've noticed a slowly building "Dont mention the 10th anniversary, it takes away from the old show-new show continuity" frame of thought, and i have to say i don't agree with it. (I'll take a "10th anniversary special" with mcgann and capaldi happily)

This is actually sort of a good point, has anything ever been revived as well as Doctor Who? Battlestar Galactica, maybe? I would have said Star Trek before Into Darkness mucked that one up.

Keeping a revival of an old show going for ten years, and being pretty good for all of them, is honestly probably more impressive to me than the franchise as a whole making it to fifty.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 12, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'd kind of like to see them try the Idiot's Lantern again, because it's a good idea, just let down by their inability to do it justice. I suppose the Crimson Horror was that in many ways, and indeed it was better. I'd also say there were shades of it in The Bells of Saint John too; the Great Intelligence's depiction in that episode felt like a similar base idea, done completely differently, and since I'd actually forgotten a lot about his depiction in The Snowmen I actually thought it was The Wire.

As someone who isn't British, though, I'd say that the 'public response' to the whole thing actually did work for me. It felt like a very British way to respond to the problem, especially for the time period - the Cold War was heating up, and while I wasn't alive for that period of time the prevailing 'feel' of the time I get through media and such was sort of 'EVERYTHING IS FINE, CARRY ON'. Just pretend the problem doesn't exist, here's people on the job fixing it, go about your lives. It may not be accurate, but it fits well enough into the overall image of the period in the media that I could buy into it.

Fun fact remembered from the commentaries: The grandma's actress holds the record for the longest gap between appearances on Who, having previously been in... I want to say a Troughton episode.

EDIT: Yep, Troughton. She was Megan Jones in Fury from the Deep.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 12, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Metal Loaf posted:

Weren't "The Impossible Planet" and "The Satan Pit" the episodes that were originally going to be written by Stephen Fry, or is my memory playing tricks on me? I'm almost certain he was supposed to write at least one script for season two but it fell through.

No, the Stephen Fry episode was completely unfilmed, and had something to do with Sir Galahad if I recall. It was replaced by Fear Her, which I guess goes to explain a bit of why Fear Her is pretty crap.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

AradoBalanga posted:

So, how long until we get Sean Pertwee playing the 3rd Doctor in the current series, even if it's just for a silent cameo?

I believe the reason this hasn't happened is because Sean doesn't want to just impersonate his father. He'd probably be on board with playing with it somehow (he had a cameo in The Five-Ish Doctors for that reason), but it'd have to be more than just have him play his dad.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Spindle posted:

I forgot this- who does it this time? It's the Doctor, isn't it.

I'm pretty sure it comes from the Doctor, yeah. The fact the Abzorbaloff resembles the Slitheen causes hm to start on that train of thought before getting stopped.

I think part of what puts me off Love and Monsters is that you could do it so well with just a little bit of editing the script. It's not even hard, the episode would be remembered more fondly just by combing through and fixing the finale alone. Cut out the fart jokes of course, but Ursula's fate could've gone two ways instead of loving it up on the middle ground. Jerusalem's already outlined that you could create a different, more interesting message from just letting her die, but even presuming they wanted to keep her alive and give the two a happy ending, they could've done that in a much less weird way by just letting her live. Have the Abzorbaloff get interrupted partway through the process by the Doctor and/or Elton, have them both escape instead of just him and bam, much less conceptually awful ending.

I'm having trouble saying that comes from them half-assing it, because I feel like doing what they did would have been more effort.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I honestly really like the 'puzzle box' overplots more than the sort of stuff that Jerusalem's currently going over in season 2, because... well, I just get them a lot more. For the most part I've overcome my asperger's, but it still plagues my comprehension of certain things, I doubt even going back to them now I'd be able to pick up any of that 'Doctor and Rose losing their grip on reality' story because I just can't read stories in that way.

The problem with those is that Moffat's actually only had one with any substance. The Cracks, as I've said before, were great for that; a constant presence in the season that wasn't overbearing, but facilitated some great stories while also progressing itself. As the season went on we saw more and more of what they were capable of, what they were doing and why they existed, and it just worked so loving well for the story.

Problem is, after that Moffat just sort of stopped trying. None of the rest of Eleven's run really incorporated any of that sort of thing. The last half-season sort of tried with the whole 'Impossible Girl' business, but that wasn't really an 'overarching plot' as much as 'reminders of a payoff that hasn't happened yet'. There weren't extra facts about the whole thing being dropped every couple episodes, no reference to the implications or the actual truth of anything, it was just... there, until eventually it was answered. There was potential for that to be a thing on the level of the Cracks, and I would've liked it if they tried to reach it, but they just didn't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The Action Man posted:

If I ever met David Tennant, I'd be more excited to talk classic Who with him than about his actual run on the show.

I don't mean that as an insult; it's just obvious he's as interested in finding Power of the Daleks as anyone in this forum.

My favorite commentary track I've ever heard is the one from The Lazarus Experiment, because it's just David Tennant and Mark Gatiss nerding out at each other.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
EDIT: ^^ I can accept the Americanized nature of Saxon's campaign and election (presuming that's what you're talking about; it's what I thought of), because while it might not be necessarily 'correct', such an egocentric campaign is very in-character for the Master.

I think the weirdness around the actual inclusion of the Olympics in Fear Her may in part come from something they mention in the commentaries; it's set in the future, but not very far in the future, and the fact it is in the future is unimportant. It seems to be something they had a bit of fun with: trying to come up with some reasonable developments that aren't too far out from what they had, but has to blend into the background. There's some minor bits of technology that are actually pretty close to the mark, and at one point there's a poster for Shayne Ward's (remember him? I don't) greatest hits album. Trying to guess at the opening ceremony of something six-ish years in the future is just going to steal the spotlight from what's actually going on in the story, and would probably be quite an expensive guess to make. Fear Her was one of the cheap episodes, so trying for an opening ceremony was right out of the picture.

Another reason might be that the setting was actually one of the last things decided on for the story. They had everything else planned out, but weren't sure when it should be taking place until someone suggested the London Olympics, which they were able to tie in quite closely to the plot. So while it wound up being an integral part of the episode, it was probably decided on far too late to properly factor into the production.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 3, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So this was linked by the Doctor Who official Twitter page: It's only a couple minutes, but a kid turned up to Antiques Roadshow with two recovered scripts from the Hartnell years. One of them is particularly valuable, being John Lennon's copy of the original script for The Chase where the Beatles would have actually appeared.

Starts at 12:30.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 4, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RunAndGun posted:

What about the other way - what would be the rarest? 1 clones or 2 clones? (NOT because of the quality, there isn't a Doctor I dislike, but I'm sure there are a ton of people who haven't seen the early early episodes (it doesn't help that some don't exist anymore (THANK YOU BBC for being short-sighted(I know the had no idea what they were doing but still.)))

Eight, probalby. Six might not be far behind, but at least there would be people that fondly remember his tenure.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, but he could go back to the next town over and send them a letter/make a phonecall, or pick them up a couple of years later, or even go visit them throughout the years (as River is explicitly stated to do). He didn't do any of those things because the story called for them to be separated FOREVER, but they didn't really set up a situation where that seemed inevitable.

I still like the idea that the reason he didn't do that is because he's so used to using the TARDIS that he can't quite figure out how to travel any other way.

It ties in with The Power of Three, where he's thrown off so heavily by the prospect of waiting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think a big part of the success of that cliffhanger was because they played it very smart. They knew they were sitting on a good reveal, and kept it as secret as they possibly could. No references to anything about the Daleks beforehand, no notable casting calls (since every single member of the Cult of Skaro is Nick Briggs doing different voices), and the fact that final shot was CGI meant there were a minimum of people who could leak it. Even at the press screening of the episode, they edited out the ending so nobody could spoil it. They went the extra mile in making sure nobody would tell anyone, which was a lot easier back then since social media hadn't yet become much of a thing.

Fun fact: While it isn't a massive deal now, Army of Ghosts was the first time the Daleks and Cybermen had actually appeared in the same episode. So that was probably another layer that made the cliffhanger even better: This had never happened before.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So this year's Hugo Award nominations are out. I think Doctor Who might have a chance in its home category, guys.

quote:

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form (760 nominating ballots)

An Adventure in Space and Time, written by Mark Gatiss, directed by Terry McDonough (BBC Television)
Doctor Who: “The Day of the Doctor”, written by Steven Moffat, directed by Nick Hurran (BBC Television)
Doctor Who: “The Name of the Doctor”, written by Steven Moffat, directed by Saul Metzstein (BBC Televison)
The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, written & directed by Peter Davison (BBC Television)
Game of Thrones: “The Rains of Castamere”, written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, directed by David Nutter (HBO Entertainment in association with Bighead, Littlehead; Television 360; Startling Television and Generator Productions)
Orphan Black: “Variations under Domestication” written by Will Pascoe, directed by John Fawcett (Temple Street Productions; Space/BBC America)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, that's actually terrible news for Who fans....there's a strong chance that the pro-Who vote will get split three ways. Well two ways, I can't see too many people choosing Name over either Day or Adventure.

That is true, I suppose. While I don't see Name taking too much away from Day, or Five(ish) taking too much away from Adventure (although that's far tougher to say), Day and Adventure both have strong enough cases that they could split the vote. I guess the internal Who winner will come down to whether or not the voters are more into classic or modern Who. That said, I don't know how exactly the voting system would turn out on this one; the winning vote is conducted by this year's Worldcon attendees, who were also half of the nomination votes, and that nomination vote still somehow had enough people independently voting for Who stories that four of them got over the line. I don't know if that's good or bad news, though; probably bad, since it means that there were people who, of their own volition, voted for Name of the Doctor over Day.

They're not the only Who things nominated; Queers Dig Time Lords is up for Best Related Work, and The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who is up for Best Graphic Story (although that's up against Time from XKCD, so I can't stand by it for preference or prediction reasons). Even if they don't win anything, I think we have to give them props; pretty much everything they produced for the anniversary that could have been nominated was (and I'm sure Light at the End and Night of the Doctor would have gotten a spot too, if there were applicable fields).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm all for separate Oldwho/Audios threads and Newwho threads. I dont really enjoy hearing about the former, despite no news about the latter.

Maybe when the show actually gets started, we can split it, but since both Big Finish and New Who are lying fallow right now it doesn't really matter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

He'd be amazing. It's easy to think of him just as Mario, but he's one of the damned dragons in Skyrim. Guy has some range.

And if you've been watching Retsupurae recently, he was Homunculus in Shadow of Destiny. Terrible game with terrible direction, but it's surprising to hear that Mario voiced that guy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm sure there isn't

Eh, Nine and Ten's outfits are relatively decent for everyday wear; at the very lest you'll look like you're going somewhere relatively important in Ten's. You wouldn't look like you're dressing as a character to someone that doesn't already know of them.

Any other Doctor's outfit and you're either pushing it or clearly look like you're n costume. Eleven's the next best after Nine and Ten, and that is the clear barrier since even in-show he's dressed like a dork.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DoctorWhat posted:

The obvious exception, of course, being the perpetually fashion-forward aesthetics championed by the Sixth and Best Doctor.

A king would stop and stare~

Six's coat is so outrageously dorky that it wraps right back around and becomes acceptable, if only because nobody can effectively articulate a cohesive reason why not.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I probably would've liked Let's Kill Hitler a lot more if all of it was about killing Hitler. Maybe using it to properly explore fixed points in time or something; just use the world's most famous time traveler to have fun with the most cliche use of time travel ever.

As it stands, the greatest sin it commits in my book is the same one Dinosaurs on a Spaceship did, promise a really simple and entertaining concept that it utterly fails to deliver on. Dinosaurs at least had the Mitchell and Webb robots, though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

PriorMarcus posted:

Don't get excited about having a Christmas special anymore though, that's been folded into the regular series order to keep cost from spiraling again, so now you only get 12 episodes a year instead of 13, assuming your lucky.

Eh, can't really complain about that, personally. It sounds lovely at first since the Who special became one of my favorite parts of Christmas, but they tended to skew below average anyway. Some of them are pretty good, but most of them aren't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Metal Loaf posted:

Honestly honestly, most people in Britain probably know very little about how British politics work. If "Vote Saxon" is any indication we all think the Prime Minister is the president and everybody votes for him directly.

I'm still not sure how inaccurate that one actually was, but I always thought that suited things just fine in the story. The Master is an egotistical rear end in a top hat, the Simm Master especially. He wouldn't give a poo poo about how things actually work in politics, he'd run on an entirely self-centric platform.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Following the Doctor Who Tumblr pays off sometimes. I guess Day of the Doctor paid off enough for them to give something similar a bit of a crack.

quote:

BBC Worldwide and Fathom Events are bringing Doctor Who to the big screen in a two-night special theatrical screening event all for the price of one ticket.

See David Tennant on the big screen as the Tenth Doctor in the epic two-part Doctor Who story“Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel”on June 16 at 7:30 p.m. local time with never-before-seen bonus content from Tennant himself.

The next night, experience the earth from a bird’s eye view in “Wings 3D” narrated by David Tennant on June 17 at 7:30 p.m. local time in RealD™ 3D.

Tickets for “Doctor Who Cybermen + Wings 3D” are available at participating theater box offices and online at https://www.fathomevents.com to the public beginning May 15. For a complete list of theater locations and prices, visit the FathomEvents.com

If you have any questions about the cinema screenings, you can tweet at DoctorWhoShop on Twitter.

So yeah, if any of you Americans have nothing else planned that could be a bit neat. I'm kind of wondering why Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, but there's not necessarily anything wrong with that choice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I can think of something wrong, they are bad episodes

Hey, they were solidly mediocre at worst. Not really bad episodes, they just couldn't really make that jump to 'good'.

I'm still not sure why, though. I would have thought maybe it was best for a standalone screening since it reintroduces the Cybermen in a way that doesn't need foreknowledge, but the rest of the episode's centered so heavily on Rose's history that it doesn't work that way.

I'm not sure what two-parter would be perfect in that combination, being a good Tennant two-parter that doesn't need much pre-watching; that cuts out the finales, at least. The Library, maybe, but that's not a story that would benefit hugely from the big screen. Best candidate I can think of is Impossible Planet/Satan Pit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Astroman posted:

Dammit, don't wreck another console room! :mad:

Moffat's tenure will be punctuated by gradually increasing amounts of console room wreckages. By Capaldi's second season we'll be seeing a new console room every episode, and his last story will have every scene set in different console rooms, all in the process of being destroyed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I always felt like the Judoon were underutilized. They're essentially the unfeeling, aggressively neutral, self-appointed policemen of the universe, and that could've been played with really well. They're a strong potential ally and enemy for the Doctor (who would clearly be breaking their rules to fight their criminals), which is a position not really filled by anyone else, so I was always a bit disappointed that they never really bothered to use them like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I counted; during Rory's stint as a supporting character, both companion and otherwise, he saved the day with a broom more often than the Doctor saved the day with anything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

One more thought: I like to think the Matt Smith moment is mainly included because Gatiss really wanted to see 11 in the First Doctor's TARDIS.

I'm sure there was a good reason they didn't do it (they probably weren't shooting anywhere near the same time), but it would've been great if, when all three Doctors went into the TARDIS in Day of the Doctor and it freaked the gently caress out, it defaulted to the original set they replicated for AAISAT.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Forktoss posted:

As a Wilderness Child it's Survival Part 3, natch.

Another great game is to check on the DW Wiki what interesting behind-the-scenes or in-universe stuff happened on your birthday. Although the most interesting thing about mine seems to be that exactly 120 years before it "Leela read an article in The Times of London which indicated that the archaeologist Horace Stockwood was looking for financial sponsorship for his return to Rapa Nui."

This is a lot more fun for someoneborn in the Wilderness Years.

I share my birthday with the Zygon porno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Speaking of Blake's Seven, you guys would probably know. Is there any truth to that one story where they were filming in a quarry, heard voices, and looked over the rocks to find Doctor Who filming in the same quarry on the same day?

• Locked thread