Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Oh Paul. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
Wrath of the Iceni is another good Four. The new season's been strong so far as well, especially The Crooked Man.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
Paper Cuts is absolutely fantastic and one of my favourite BF stories. It involves Draconians, origami samurai, and it's written by Marc Platt!

PoshAlligator posted:

I'm not going to be able to get all of these. Are these best worked through from start to finish? If so, I'll just get the first one or two.

Yeah, they're all honestly really good so there's not even one worth skipping, imo.

Bicyclops posted:

I assume I'd need to finish Charlie's story with Eight before I get to the Six and Charlie ones, so I might hold off.

I believe it spoils a little bit of Charley's last adventure with Eight, but you probably won't be lost. Still, I'd listen to Six/Charley last if only because of her character development and this being her 'finale' (till the spin-off next month, anyway).

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
Sympathy for the Devil is the best Unbound. David Warner Doctor VS Mark Gatiss Master :allears:

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
Don't forget The Spectre of Lanyon Moor for Six! It has the Brig! And Evelyn! And it's really good!

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
I prefer when it was just Peter Cushing, his two granddaughters and a bumbling policeman.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
Just listened to Night Thoughts, a Seven/Ace/Hex story. Not sure if I liked it or not... that was an odd one. A little hard to follow too.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/paul-spragg

Oh man. :(

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
I'm still sad they removed the framing device from that story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTyyIsi-cgU&t=426s

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
There's another one day Big Finish sale on, this time it's Dark Eyes, UNIT: Dominion, Love and War and the two Six/Jago & Litefoot stories.

http://bigfinish.com/news/v/one-day-doctor-who-special-offer

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN

Jerusalem posted:

So when is the best time to listen to any of the stories that were on special today? The Jago & Litefoot stories, UNIT: Dominion and Love & War? I love Big Finish but they're confusing as hell in terms of what fits where.

As far as I'm aware Voyage to Venus and its sequel are standalone and don't require any knowledge of the actual J&L series. UNIT Dominion should be listened to after the initial Klein audios (Colditz, A Thousand Tiny Wings, Klein's Story, Survival of the Fittest, The Architects of History). It also features a companion from Seven's Lost Stories, but you don't need to know anything about her (and frankly she doesn't really play much of a role in Dominion). Love and War you can jump straight into.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
Just finished listening to the second Klein trilogy (Persuasion et al). The whole thing was really strong! Seven gets some really good trilogies, whereas with the other Doctors they often fall apart by the last story.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
Yet another Big Finish offer this weekend, this time it's £5 for each story from the first four seasons of the Companion Chronicles. There's also the Specials boxset (The Three Companions, The Mists of Time and Freakshow) for £10. I highly recommend Helicon Prime (Two and Jamie) if only for Hines's brilliant Troughton impression. The Sara Kingdom trilogy (begins with Home Truths) is also really good, though the last of the story isn't in the sale.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
Made what I hope is a good purchase today with Lords of the Red Planet. Also got a micro figure that'd make DoctorWhat proud.

http://i.imgur.com/g2DrmXT.jpg

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN

Gaz-L posted:

I kinda picture the BF Time Controller as a regular Dalek, but with that as a hat.

I'm afraid it's a lot more mundane than that:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MojsBd3-nC8/UTZdjsBF9pI/AAAAAAAAHD8/V-kDDOSCjok/s1600/Dalek+Time+Controller+Artwork.jpg

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN

Jerusalem posted:

Or, and this is my preferred take, did he do it just because he knew as well as the Doctor that Lazarus would never be able to account for all the variables and he thought it would be hilarious to see everything go to poo poo?

God, I can just see Saxon paying a visit to Lazarus's lab, taking a look at his notes, then trying really, really hard not to laugh. ("This guy's gonna turn into a giant loving scorpion! I am so funding this.")

If I remember correctly, RTD mentions in the commentary that The Lazarus Experiment (and 42, incidentally) was handed in last minute and the whole thing was just sort of thrown together. Seeing as Lazarus's writer would later write The Doctor's Daughter, I can't help but get the impression he doesn't quite enjoy what he's doing. There's virtually no charm in his scripts.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
It's great, Davros is spoiled all over the place and RTD is all proud in Confidential about how Martha's mum returning was kept a surprise.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN

DoctorWhat posted:

FRIENDS! WHOVIANS! I FOUND SOMETHING WONDERFUL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak26ohx1Y8

SONIC SCREW SWORD ... GO!

Very wonderful, still got nothing on the Beedeer though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxcMCr_lA7M

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN

Burkion posted:

I like to imagine that we had an unseen series of adventures where Churchill, Hitler, and Nixon were all companions at the same time. It's the only thing that kept me sane for most of season 6.

"Ohhh, I keep telling Adolf not to wander off!"

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN

DoctorWhat posted:

Jeez, I wonder if Briggs is constantly nervous that Tom'll ask about that and all the dominoes will come falling down like a house of cards.

Checkmate.

"I sound quite good in this."
"...Y-yes Tom. Yes you do."

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN

Ludicro posted:

And gently caress anyone who says The Space Museum is a bad story. I would say it gave the character of Vicki some excellent moments, and has a cliffhanger that must have been quite a thrill back in 1965.

The Space Museum is amazing because it's effectively Doctor Who poking fun at itself two seasons in. It and The Chase made a superb boxset release. Speaking of, anyone with the DVD for Space Museum needs to check out the special features, Robert Shearman does a brilliant feature defending the story.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
I just watched Attack of the Cybermen for the first time. Did... did I just watch a good Sixth Doctor TV story? :stare:

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN

:gonk:

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
Clearly Hines found all of his missing serials in the attic and his agent is very proud of him. :)

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
http://www.sporcle.com/games/renitajenkins/doctor_who_episodes

So this is pretty fun. I've got 149/159, I'm clearly not shameful enough yet.

There's another one for Big Finish's main range stories somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
I just assumed she could regenerate but never did due to settling down with David.

• Locked thread