Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

(old thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597393)

We had the 50th Anniversary, we've had a regeneration episode, now we have...a long wait for August. They're filming right now, and so we just have to wait for them to finish. What do we know about the 12th Doctor (as he will be known as)? Not much. He doesn't like the color of his kidneys, and he doesn't know how the fly the TARDIS. Other than that, speculation.

In the meantime? Well, The Moonbase just came out on DVD, and the Underwater Menace is coming soon. The Time of the Doctor is getting a DVD and Blu-Ray release next month in Region 1. You can celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Eccleston being revealed as the first revival Doctor in a few weeks (he also turned 50 recently). There's always the audio adventures, which we'll get to later. There are the books. There are the comics. There's this thread. Hey, you're already reading it!

With no new Who on the horizon, we look to the past (as there is always more of it). Various posters are doing re-watch/read/listens to old episodes/books/audio dramas and giving opinions. If you haven't seen/read/listened to every Doctor Who thing, do it, because we have to get through about six months surviving on arguments over which African dictatorship is secretly housing The Space Pirates.

The Something Awful Doctor Who IRC Channel (SADWIRCC) is #mrrock. Stop by and ask for more information.

Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if Queen Elizabeth II, Barack Obama, and Vladimir Putin have a three-way press conference on every channel to reveal life on Mars and also that Martha Jones is a Rutan, DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread.

WHERE DO I START
If you want to start with the revival, you can start with The Eleventh Hour and catch up with the last Doctor's work. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, this was a different era of television, where you could get away with shaky sets if the story was good.

The most popular serials you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Web of Fear
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

A GUIDE TO DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS

There are hundreds, possibly thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people possibly like Minuet in Hell, but I doubt it). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are, and boy, are there a ton of different series. Confusing.

Big Finish monthly releases
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and, occasionally, Eighth Doctors. Up to 184th(!) release next month.

The Lost Stories
Audio dramas based on scripts meant for television. Stories involving the first three doctors are "enhanced audiobooks", meaning there is narration as opposed to having a full cast.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures
An on-again-off-again series featuring Paul McGann.

The Companion Chronicles
More enhanced audiobooks. Ended in 2014, replaced by...

The Early Adventures
Black-and-white era Doctor Who enhanced audiobooks.

Doctor Who Unbound
Doctor Who's version of "What if...?"

Destiny of the Doctor
Enhanced audiobooks originally made by AudioGo for the 50th anniversary. Notable for featuring stories involving the Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Doctors.

The BBC Radio Adventures
If it was commissioned for the Beeb, it fits into this category. Contains the first Doctor Who audio drama, Doctor Who and the Pescatons, everything released by BBC Audio, Eighth Doctor Shada, and Real Time.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging for good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

And now, some images.

Current show-runner Steven Moffat, wondering where the invisible, all-knowing woman was in The Daleks

Take that, Hitler!

Don't SPLINK!

The Curator meets the Brig

I wasn't alive when the Sixth Doctor was incumbent, so I only kind of get this.

Peter Capali's frightening drawing of Tom Baker.

:britain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G11kCiSGEk

Cerv, you owe me :10bux:

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The title should be "Doctor Who: We swear, TimeLash wasn't that bad!" I made a mistake. I am sorry.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I do not trust this 'Lolitas Alright!' person.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

RunAndGun posted:

Peter Davison certainly hopes so.

Consider: The actor who played the first Doctor, died. Then the actor who played the second Doctor, died second. Third, third. That trend looks like it will continue. I mean, it's eerie. :tinfoil:

Are you saying the War Doctor will die...in a war?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Remembrance of the Daleks, Part 1. That's pretty good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who Miis, so you can Smash as the Curator or whatever. Andy Anonymous makes the best ones, so go with those.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
:supaburn: ONLY ONE WEEK LEFT :supaburn:

Are we doing weekly threads, or just a series-long one?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Trin Tragula posted:

Weekly threads have been the standard for a while now. Absent anyone else, I was planning on putting one up in the week at some point.

Thanks, I'm not too good at these.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

What the hell you must think of me, I haven't the foggiest.

Judge Dredd, if he were in Daft Punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
tobecontinued.gif

• Locked thread