Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

I think I'm good for the next 6 months.

I don't see Vengeance on Varos! Do I have to come over and lock all the doors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Just got to the end of ep 3 of UNIT: Dominion. Saw that one coming a mile off. Raine is a complete non-entity of a companion. Does she get better?

Just to reiterate: I didn't. Or rather, I thought they didn't have the rights to do it. Imagine my surprise!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I see what you did there.

WhaOH YEAH I DID THAT ON PURPOSE I'M drat CLEVER.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Hell, if you know a bit of Latin, the title virtually gives it away.

Not if you're absolutely convinced that said twist is a legal impossibility, like I was at the time. Of course, in retrospect it's obvious, but part of my continuing love for that story comes from how effectively it blindsided me the first time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

The story still works if you know it going in, like I did.

I did say "part".

quote:

The actor is just a joy to listen to,

Isn't he just :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Really, what we need is for the Sixth Doctor to come around and make that disgusted face he makes and give America a good ranting at. "What do you MEAN, no paper crowns? I suppose at least I won't have to worry about getting a paper cut and not being able to afford curing the subsequent infection from your foul air!"

You could probably get Colin to record that in-character by asking nicely and telling him you have a cat.

Colin Baker :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'd like to see them dump whole seasons (albiet still in SD) of the classic series onto Blu-Ray, with all the special features. Just high-capacity DVDs with modern Java menus and poo poo.

Like, you could probably fit all of Colin's or McCoy's runs on one 2-disc Blu-Ray set, each, complete with all the DVD bonuses. Imagine, having 10 to 15 neatly, uniformly-packaged little discs for the entirety of Classic Who!

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 21, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A complete Blu-Ray collection in a Blue box that's bigger on the inside :v:.

Well of course. Blu-Ray cases are closer to square anyway. Should be able to get the form factor exactly right.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sly is in it so I think I have to at least skim through the finished project...

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I said this in the Community thread, but it bears repeating: Why is Sylvester McCoy in this?

He was in The Airzone Solution. He'll do anything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I liked the bit in the Community con episode where Britta called out the nerds on their institutionalized misogyny...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

McGann posted:

Dark Eyes II update...finished it.

On the whole, I enjoyed it. I liked the timey-wimey stuff going on with the sorta independent stories coming together in the 4th disc. The Master plot, I felt, was undeveloped. The Time Lords plucked him out, gave him another set of regens in order to...replace the Dalek with the Eminence? Or was The Master lying? I was a little confused on that one and it really wasn't referenced much in the resolution. It felt a little anti-climactic is all.

I'm sure I will pick up more and understand it better on the second listen through. Overall an enjoyable set of stories, though I enjoyed Dark Eyes I more. I'd say 7/10 vs Dark Eyes 9/10.

Obviously the Master was revived because the Time War was incoming and they needed soldiers, just like how the revival described things. The EDAs, and Dark Eyes in particular, are all about the lead-up to the Last Great Time War. The Eminence is just one piece of that puzzle. The Master's chronology is Eric Roberts -> Alex MacQueen -> Derek Jacobi -> John Simm, at least so far.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

"Doctor... The Key to Time is required once more."

Oh no, not after last time :negative:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I know Big Finish use quite a few images from the new series, but can they actually use any of the ideas/themes/monsters from it? If not are they basically building up to the Time War only to never actually deal with it/call it that?

As Davros1 said, they're not allowed to really, but they don't have to expect the listeners to be completely ignorant of the New Series, so they can play with the themes and tease as much as they like. The politics that might lead into a Time War are totally open to them - they just can't do an audio about John Hurt sealing the Nightmare Child into the Medusa Cascade or whatever cool-sounding background dialogue RTD came up with.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Psychic Paper was invented in New Who? That's kind of surprising!

Not really. It's a mechanism to cut out 2-4 episodes of the Doctor running off to get Letters of Transit or whatever other dumbass credentials are stuck between him and the actual plot. It's very New Who.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Tennant would record about a million audios if that happened. Like that Dead Ringers sketch where he played the Second Tony Blair.

"A HUNDRED MORE YEARS!!!"

Somehow I just watched this for the first time.

"New Labour... that's weird." :laffo:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

All joking aside, I kinda wish that whenever that coat might be brought up by anybody that the Doctor - in whatever incarnation - gets all huffy and defensive and insists that it was awesome.

Well it was. And still is.

want dat coat

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

I read Ten Little Aliens last year and was blown away. Are there any other DW books like that?

Beautiful Creatures and The Glamour Chase, both by Gary Russel, own bones.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I've been listening to Omega and towards the end of episode 3 I was rolling my eyes at how obvious the upcoming twist was. They kept stretching it out while I kept shaking my head and wishing they'd just get on with it and make the "shocking" reveal and play the theme. The story up to that point had been serviceable but nothing special, and I was eager to get through the story. The "twist" came, I shrugged with indifference.... and then the OTHER twist came and after a few moments I realized exactly how I'd had the wool pulled over my eyes for three episodes and I loving love it. I hope part 4 lives up to the expectations that this cliffhanger delivered, because goddamn that came out of nowhere (for me anyway!) but makes perfect sense in hindsight :allears:

What did you think the twist was going to be?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I like Zagreus.

I mean, it's kinda awful, but I like it a lot.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Colin Baker

pretty excellent

he always is :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Would Gatiss really want to do it, though? I'd always got the impression that he's a performer who also writes things sometimes. The only reason he script-edited Little Britain and produced Sherlock was because it was working with his mates. If I was the controller of BBC One I'd also be very nervous about putting a guy with almost no production credentials in charge of my biggest Saturday night drama.

It's gonna be Chibnail, I reckon. He's a Who fan and accomplished producer. And, for all his faults as a writer he seems to "get" the ethos of DW pretty well, too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I like the stupid bureaucrat Time Lords because I never bought into the Doctor, the Master, or any other Time Lords being particularly inhuman, and the idea that the oldest civilization would consist at least in part of a huge, joyless bureaucracy seems very human to me.

That's also part of why Looms peeve me off.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

My fiancée is an English teacher heavily into Shakespeare and poetry, so I got a lot more out of it than I expected!

Is it a perfect story? No, mainly because it’s one of those stories that thinks it’s clever and spends a lot of time trying to convince the reader of how clever it is, in a “wink wink nudge nudge” kind of way. And I didn’t get the sense of urgency that a complete galactic linguistic collapse should have caused.

On the other hand, it was nice to see Peri act like a college student, and her “I need a freaking drink” moment where she wanders away from the Doctor in mid-monologue was worth a nice chuckle. Plus, it’s old Sixie at a LANGUAGE convention. Colin Baker must have had the time of life recording this one because he takes the Doctor’s long-windedness and turns it up to 11 in such a perfect way. It’s definitely worth a listen or a re-listen. I got more out of it the second go-round once I had some idea what the hell was going on!

...Ish is great. It's weird but the premise is compelling once you wrap your head around it. It's a shame Colin hasn't had the chance to face off against a... certain word-y baddie and probably never will, but ...Ish aaaallmost makes up for it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

i'm iffy on actual lego sets BUT LEGO DOCTOR WHO: THE VIDEO GAME WOULD BE loving INCREDIBLE!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

Before finishing the reboot, I didn't realize how much you guys talk about audios. It's like, waaaaaay more than the show. I suppose that's natural since it's not on the air right now.

That and, counting only the Monthly Range, I'm pretty sure the raw hourage of Big Finish outstrips the New and Classic Series combined. When you factor in the EDAs, Boxsets, Lost Stories, and the good spinoffs (Jago & Litefoot, Gallifrey) it gets even more dramatic. And don't get us started on the Companion Chronicles!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I'm trying! I've just added Enemy of the World, The Dæmons and Masque of Mandragora to this behemoth:

There are only so many hours in the day though!

EDIT: gently caress, just bought Planet of the Giants, the Peladon Tales set, and The Black Guadian Trilogy for cheaps from my local CEX. I have officially run out of room. :saddowns:

I still don't see Vengeance on Varos...

Do I have to make a trans-continental flight, come over, and lock all your doors? Because I will.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The problem with the RTDaleks was that Karen Gillian towered over them since she's like a kerjillion feet tall; they'd been scaled to face off with Billie Piper.

As it turns out, though, that didn't matter with how the few Dalek stories in S5+ were shot, and the New Paradigm was largely ignored.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

jivjov posted:

The 2014 Big Finish special release is going to be Trial of the Valeyard. I'm cautiously excited for this.

It's already out as a subscriber special.

It's good!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They should bring back the Raston Warrior Robot.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ain't I a stinker?

....that wascawwy wobot

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

One of my favorite moments is when, in (one of the pinnacle) BFA(s), Arrangements for War , Six has to explain to Evelyn that he "doesn't always win" and she responds that it's his job to win. It's a moment of failure for the Doctor that pushes him to improve himself and, when paired with Colin Baker's consistently wonderful performance, contributes to Six's masterfully executed character arc with Big Finish.

Moffat seems allergic to that kind of storytelling and god dammit, Matt deserved better and so does Capaldi.

But of course, that's all natural stuff. After all, we never saw Colin Baker regenerate, so he is, of course, still the current Doctor, and McCoy was the beginning of a subsidiary line. Therefore, the BFAs (especially those with Six) are the real Doctor Who and anything else, regardless of its oft-fantastic quality, is a spinoff.

COLIN BAKER FOREVER!!!

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 6, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Potsticker posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

COLIN BAKER FOREVER!!!

That's about my opinion, yeah! :buddy:

EDIT: I am saving up for a replica Six coat and as soon as I get it OH BOY never gonna take it off.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 6, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

If anyone wants to read more of my Big Finish Opinions I'm starting a tumblog at https://zags-big-ideas.tumblr.com

Just FYI, is all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HAH! The Shaboogan Graffiti guy reblogged me, drawing Sandifer's attention. He tried to counter my claim about Moffat but didn't do a very good job.

I love debating Who because mine are The Right Opinions :downs:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah it's silly to critique Moffat over that when there's so much else to complain about.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

How very Colin Baker of you.

The nicest thing anyone's ever said to me :buddy:

EDIT: Oh wow guys y'all should check out this reblog train because Sandifer's either just claimed that Big Finish is incapable of producing emotion, or else he's critiquing it for not having pictures, and I can't tell which claim is less justified :allears:.

http://zags-big-ideas.tumblr.com/post/78702267483/colin-baker-vs-steven-moffat

other edit: don't let this overshadow my debate with Phil but apparantly Conquistador went all internet-detective and tracked me down on Twitter and follows me :laffo: what an rear end in a top hat.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 6, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Astroman posted:

:lol: at this, because Sandifer could stand to be taken down a peg or two...

Read my post and see how badly he seems to have lost the most recent back-and-forth, seeing as how he hasn't responded!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

So on Monday, we gave the kiddo a Who-themed party. TARDIS shaped balloon, tablecloth done by a friend with a collage made by her Dad, and Eleven's sonic screwdriver.

Today, she said she's giving up watching Who for Lent. Apparently her and her Mom take Lent very seriously. So she had me take the show off Netflix Instant Queue and hide the DVD's.

But...

Me - "What about audios?"

Her - "Quit trying to make me listen to the audios!"

Pause.

"Wait, you can't WATCH an audio."

Lent loophole.

I can see it now. "Ah, here we are! A new copy of The Eye of the Scorpion! Some say it's a classic!"

I dunno about Scorpion. Go with The One Doctor or something light.

COMEDY OPTION: Minuet.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Guys, BIG FINISH PRESENTS: DISCWORLD!

Y'all know you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Colin Baker as everyone.