Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I picked Hinchcliffe, but I think the problem is that for a lot of Classic Who there was a kind of partnership between the producer and the script editor, whereas in New Who the equivalent roles have sort of amalgamated into the show runner job. So there's an implied vote for Holmes, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

The Power of Kroll was a real stinkbomb, but I enjoyed every one of the serials from season 16. :mad:

I thought Adams was season seventeen and Anthony Read did sixteen?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

Which walk is this, and when did it appear in Red Dwarf?

During Walter Scott's expedition to the North Pole, one of his fellows, Captain Oates, realised he was dying and decided to leave the tent rather than die in front of his friends, so he exited with the words, "I'm just going out; I may be gone some time."

As for Red Dwarf, I think it was mentioned in "Holoship" in season five.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 20, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, "White Hole". I think "Holoship" had a similar scene with Rimmer which I must have confused it with.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

beefnoodle posted:

Walter was the novelist, Robert was the popsicle.

Ah, yes, so he was.

Peter Scott was the Loch Ness monster guy, wasn't he? Probably a Zygon in disguise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say it's probably the strongest overall episode of season two, and definitely in the top ten for the revival at least, for the reasons you've covered.

I liked the school setting and evil school dinners plot a lot more than you seemed to, Jerusalem, but then again I was a big fan of the BBC's adaptation of The Demon Headmaster. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

"I'm going to whip you to within an inch of your life, Doctor..... and then I'm going to have you."

"Because... I'm not a very nice person."

Also featuring the return of the Dream Lord, the part of the Doctor who pulled the wings off flies, loves to watch horror movies, wants all his companions to fail, lusts after meaningless sex and, on a hot summer's day, held a magnifying glass to a Dalek's eyestalk and watched him buuuuurrrrrrn.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Mao posted:

Edit: *the intent was to combine footage from licensed material (which WAS shot in the 90s, just not by Levine) featuring the actors and combine it with new scenes filmed specially in Levine's basementgreenscreen room

Isn't he meant to be quite personally wealthy from his career as a music producer/mixer/songwriter/DJ back in the Hi-NRG scene in the 1980s?

According to Wikipedia he owns one copy of every single comic published by DC.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thexerox123 posted:

Oh cool, what's it like having already seen series 8?

(I'll believe that it's just going to remain a cute nod when I see it.)

You can read the reviews and see what you think.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just found a BBC article, almost a month old, on interpretations of Capaldi's outfit. Mostly been covered here, but I can't beleive I didn't cotton on to this bit:

quote:

The Crombie overcoat and Dr Martens-style boots suggest the Gallifreyan has come straight from the front row of a 1979 ska gig. "It does have that whole Madness thing to it," says fashion expert and former Queer Eye For The Straight Guy presenter Julian Bennett.

In season eight the Doctor will accidentally land the TARDIS on Jerry Dammers and has to write "Ghost Town" himself to prevent a time paradox.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's an episode I remember not really enjoying when I saw it the first time but I've liked it a lot more whenever I've rewatched it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was bored at work and looking at the news. Saw this article with Moffat explaining why he doesn't think it'd be any use to do an American remake if anyone's interested.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd almost prefer that Gallifrey is stuck behind the cracks but occasionally manages to send the Doctor orders (like "The Master got out again; go catch him for us.") then when he finally restores it to the main universe, thousands of years have passed in the pocket universe he was keeping it in and they've basically reverted to pre-Time War status quo (ie. ruled by petty bureaucrats, Rassilon put back in his tomb to think about what he's done etc). It seems to me as though trying to plop the Time War Gallifrey back in would just be a hassle; in any case there should probably be a good reason why the Daleks and so on don't try to restart the Time War again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not too fussed either way. It might be nice if there was a bit more of a mix, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

On the topic of showrunners, it’s nice as a fan to see that there’s a lot of options. Moffat was pretty much waiting in the wings for a good bit of RTD’s run because he was a huge fan of the show and wrote some of the memorable episodes of the early revival. Having Gatiss/Chibnall/Whithouse/Cross available means that they all can make a pitch about where, when, and how they want to take the show instead of seeing it forced down one narrow path.

None will ever match the peerless brilliance of the Son Goku era, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

"Rise of the Cybermen" / "The Age of Steel" write-up

Another great review! Thanks for sharing it; I always enjoy reading them even if I don't always comment.

I'm aware that a lot of people think it's silly, but one thing I actually really liked about the Cybermen from Pete's world is the explanation for why they don't have emotions; the idea that the process of cyber-conversion is simply so horrifying, so monstrous and inhuman that if the Cybermen were emotionally aware of what they'd been changed into, they'd kill themselves. I think it's something that could have been (unless it has been) folded into the backstory for the Mondas Cybermen (although I like the existing idea - that as far as the Cybermen are concerned, emotions are an impediment to survival and just have to be choppped off - it seems a bit less viscreal to me).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else like Davies's tenure and Moffat's equally or is it meant to be a strictly either/or thing? :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, at least everyone can agree that neither took the programme to the same lofty heights as Goku.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd never be embarrassed by Varos, Fenric, or Remembrance and neither should you be!

Season 25 and 26 were as good as anything the series had done before or since, really. There's two weak stories between them ("Silver Nemesis" and "Battlefield") but aside from that it's got some of my favourite stories ever featured in the series ("The Happiness Patrol", "The Greatest Show In the Galaxy", "The Curse of Fenric", "Survival").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has any of the series bible Davies wrote for the revival ever surfaced on the internet? I know that The Writer's Tale is probably much more insightful but I was listening to an interview Paul Cornell gave maybe a couple of years ago and he talked about all the writers being given a copy, and I thought it might be interesting to read. Lacking any flair for writing myself, I've always been quite interested in that sort of behind the scenes stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I ought to re-read The Writer's Tale. It's been quite a while since I did (probably not since it came out, which is a good four or five years now) but I enjoyed reading it and might even enjoy it a bit more now that I'm a bit older and more familiar with serialised television myself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Even Battlefield isn't that bad really. I mean, you get the Brig being bloody brilliant.

Well, that goes without saying.

I think that a lot of those last two seasons went into the revival. The ethos and aesthetic of it carried over a lot (by way of the movie and the NAs, of course).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone remind me which DVD includes in its special features Paul Cornell's featurette about Terrance Dicks? I'm pretty sure I remember watching it many moons ago; I thought it might have been "The War Games", but no such luck. Any ideas?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I tend to download them and put them in iTunes. I think there's some kind of option on the Big Finish site to download them directly to your phone, but I've never tried it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Ian Levine almost* had a run for his money for worst loving attempt at Doctor Who fanfiction ever.

Still waiting on that adaptation of The Ben Chatham Adventures myself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I only listened to the Big Finish stuff shortly after the revival started up and it's only recently I started getting back into them. The first time round, the first three I can remember listening to were "Sword of Orion" (because it had Paul McGann and the Cybermen), "No Man's Land" (I distinctly remember my impression being, "Wow, these Forge sorts sound way cooler than Torchwood!") and "Red" (McCoy sounds like he's having a blast getting to trill so many "r" sounds).

Since restarting, I've decided to begin with "Sirens of Time" and work my way through from there. There's probably a better order, but most of the audios I've listened to come from the second half of the first hundred instalments, so I'll get to hear a lot that I haven't before.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

It's an audio with Colin Baker in it, there's a quality floor to begin with, but Davros would have been fantastic with any Doctor; Colin just elevates it to art.

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post was that Baker gets the best moment in "The Sirens of Time".

"You have accurately identified some of my defining traits; compassion and a capacity for self-sacrifice. But you’ve made the mistake of bringing together three incarnations of the same personality. Each time I regenerate, the balance of those traits alters. I have always been pragmatic in all my lives, as I am in this regeneration. But... MORESO!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

A little help. I'm finally writing up my review for The Light at the End, and I'm making a mention of Dimensions in Time and how vastly different the 50th anniversary was from the 30th. Could someone make sure I'm not missing anything or getting anything wrong in the below paragraph?

You could also mention (at the end) the 40th anniversary event, which was an Orbital remix video included as a special feature on the DVDs that year releases.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever watched any of the wilderness years stuff by BBV? Are any of them worth checking out? I've heard P.R.O.B.E. (apparently the first scripts Mark Gatiss ever wrote) isn't terrible. I guess Shakedown and the Auton trilogy are the big names here, and I'm interested in watching them, but I'm not sure if either of them are on DVD.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

I actually can't think of an episode in S1 of TNG that I'd call good. Acceptable, maybe. Even enjoyably camp or so-bad-it's-good. But the show didn't even learn how to be actually decent until season 2, and even then it feels more by accident until they threw Maurice Hurley out on his rear end.

Maybe, maybe "Code of Honour".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean one of the most racist episodes of a tv show ever?

Whoops.

I meant the Klingon one. "Heart of Glory".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, the story pretty much only exists because Robert Holmes was loving PISSED about his taxes.

Pips squeaking, were they?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The TARDIS lands in France in the early 17th century and hijinks ensue when the Doctor is mistaken for Cardinal Richelieu.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AradoBalanga posted:

If this gives Capaldi the excuse to channel his Malcolm Tucker side, then I'm all down for it.

I was thinking he could channel his Cardinal Richilieu side, actually.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It's been all over digital and print media (including broadcast television!), how the hell was SA the only place you ran into it? You really do have the worst opinions. :psyduck:

I guess they, like the theatre, must be dead mediums as well. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

One thing that bugged me about Waters of Mars. The Doctor explains to Brooke that the Dalek that she saw as a child didn't murder her because it recognized that Brooke's death on Mars in 2059 is a fixed point in history... but if the Daleks intended to be successful in their invasion of Earth, then wouldn't that have prevented humanity from reaching Mars in the first place?

This leads to two possibilities. Either the Daleks knew they were going to lose, or that Dalek was going to come back with a cage of some sort, transport 6 year old Brooke to Mars in 2059 and then throw a meteor at her to preserve the fixed point. WHICH ONE IS MORE LIKELY!? :psyduck:

The real reason is they needed the Daleks to appear in an episode that year to stay in the Nation estate's good books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Weren't "The Impossible Planet" and "The Satan Pit" the episodes that were originally going to be written by Stephen Fry, or is my memory playing tricks on me? I'm almost certain he was supposed to write at least one script for season two but it fell through.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If he had less hair he might look a bit like Peter Firth.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Admittedly I'm not in tune with most of the parodies besides "old radio drama" in Bang-Bang-a-Boom!, but hoo boy is it a snoozer, ad most of the way through part 3.

I think I might have heard that one but I'm not sure. Is that the one where there's a lot of Eurovision jokes?

Anyway, I've been listening to them right from the start, which means I'm hearing a lot of pretty early ones I hadn't previously listened to for the first time. The most recent one I listened to was "The Holy Terror", which was pretty great all around. Baker gave a fine performance, though that goes without saying (just that tiny, tortured, desperate, "No!" at the end when Eugene kills himself and, in so doing, the simulacrum of his son, who's all, "You were always a god to me, daddy," and it's all very sad is a really small thing but it's one that stuck out to me hugely when I was listening to it). I guess the one criticism I'd make is that the Doctor sometimes feels like he's a supporting character in the story? I suppose that's kind of the point, though.

I've heard that Steven Moffat ranks this as his favourite Sixth Doctor story. It seems like the sort of thing that might have influenced him.

Anyway, next up is "The Mutant Phase", which is another one I haven't heard before, then the first three McGann audios ("Storm Warning", "Sword of Orion" and "The Stones of Venice") which were actually the first three I ever listened, many years ago. They're great, so I'm looking forward to getting to them.

And then it's "Minuet In Hell".

I haven't heard it either, but its reputation precedes it. Nonetheless, I will listen to it because I'm listening to them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

Well he ripped it off shamelessly in The Empty Child so no poo poo it influenced him. "ARE YOU MY FATHER MUMMY!?" It's blatant.

If you're going to rip off something it might as well be something that's really, really good.

• Locked thread