Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

I haven't listened to any of Gallifrey, but isn't Juliet Landau's version of Romana implied to be from the new series' era? Or did I misunderstand a blurb on some wiki that I may have read, or possibly just dreamt I did?

The implication is she's the War Romana who travelled back into the classic era. Same way Macqueen is apparently the War Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Detective No. 27 posted:

Would Mondasian and Cybus Cybermen be hostile toward each other? Everyone always mentions Spare Parts, but I also loved The Silver Turk. A small band of Cybermen raised hell in that one. I'd love to see the two kinds meet in a story.

I'm in the middle of Eyes of The Master, couple questions, but what stories do Liv and the Eminence come from originally?

Considering the Cybusmen offered to join forces with the freaking Daleks, I have a feeling they'd get along with their Mondasian counterparts just fine.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CobiWann posted:

Oh, yes! I completely forgot about that, even though I've seen it enough times on Youtube!

X X X X X

Imagine that it’s a milestone anniversary for Doctor Who. For multiple decades, the show has been an ingrained part of British culture, to the extent that millions of Britons have an actor they consider “their” Doctor.
But, instead of a large, boisterous celebration that proudly proclaims the robust status of the franchise, the BBC instead produces a low-budget two-parter that barely clocks in at 15 minutes total. In order to make it to air, the show had to cross-over with a highly successful British soap opera. The production of the anniversary special was so intertwined with the soap opera, the BBC set up a phone line where fans of the soap opera could vote to determine which character from the show would save the Doctor from the machinations of the Rani, with all the proceeds going to charity.

And, let’s say that the first part of the serial was broadcast during an annual charity telethon, and the second part was broadcast during a popular variety show, but the host of the variety show asked that some time be trimmed off of the broadcast, and the BBC readily agreed, causing several key lines to hit the editing room floor and the serial to lose any sense of a complete and rational narrative.

That, my friends, was Dimensions in Time. Not so much as a celebration of the show’s 30th anniversary, at times it came off as the BBC’s way of saying “there, that should shut those bugger Who fans up” with the lack of proper funding and their willingness to shorten the story to fit the whims of a television host. Even with the cards stacked against them, the two episodes of Dimensions in Time scored some of the highest television ratings in the entire history of Doctor Who, showing the BBC that there still was a rabid, dedicated fanbase out there for the franchise.

And then, there was the 40th anniversary...where all the fans got was the release of a remix of the iconic theme by Orbital. Still, it’s a kick-rear end theme and one that's made its way onto a few Doctor Who DVD's as bonus material...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMMxOWUffEU

Technically Scream of the Shalka came out for the 40th anniversary, didn't it?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CobiWann posted:

Yes. Yes, it did!

Would you believe I've never seen it?

It's actually pretty good, every who fan should watch/listen to it at least once.

Too bad I can't seem to get the BBC website to play it anymore. And the only option for downloading the audio (legimately from the BBC website mind, it's not :files:) is freaking realplayer. who the hell uses that?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cruel Rose posted:

God, I can just see Saxon paying a visit to Lazarus's lab, taking a look at his notes, then trying really, really hard not to laugh. ("This guy's gonna turn into a giant loving scorpion! I am so funding this.")

If I remember correctly, RTD mentions in the commentary that The Lazarus Experiment (and 42, incidentally) was handed in last minute and the whole thing was just sort of thrown together. Seeing as Lazarus's writer would later write The Doctor's Daughter, I can't help but get the impression he doesn't quite enjoy what he's doing. There's virtually no charm in his scripts.

Hey, I liked The Doctor's Daughter. Albeit more for the character of Jenny rather than the episode itself (that Martha subplot was completely redundant).

thrawn527 posted:

One thing I've never really gotten about Bad Wolf: The first time, sure, she drank time energy, left the words as a reminder/warning, whatever. Fine. But what about at the end of Turn Left in season 4? Where did Bad Wolf come from that time? This Rose isn't the Time God or whatever. This is just Rose from a different dimension? Where did all the Bad Wolf words come from that time, including on the TARDIS?

I always figured that was the TARDIS' translation circuits using it as visual shorthand that it was an 'OH poo poo' situation. Sort of a visual equivalent to the cloister bell.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 2, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

McGann posted:

For anyone not paying attention to the 'news' section of Doctor Who Legacy, they released the 5th Doctor code today

And I have to say, had no idea Davison had such a huge package.
You forgot to mention you can still get Pertwee plus a costume. Or the catch-up watchmacallit for the Facebook version (with all of the Doctors).

That being said, you helped me discover the game. Allow me to thank/curse you for hoovering up several hours.

Sonance posted:

I'd wager that McCoy's presence in the TV movie is the main reason McGann's considered canon at all, more so than any other element in that episode. If our introduction to McGann had begun in media res, with the 8th Doctor already several years/decades/centuries into his incarnation, there would have been more justifiable reasons to just waive away his incarnation as either some Cushing-esque "alternate" Doctor or some vague "future" incarnation. Thankfully, Virgin & BBC Books pretty much cemented that canonicity by taking the events of the TV movie as gospel, and Big Finish after them. From that point on it would have been rather foolish for anyone to suggest McGann's Doctor wasn't canon.
Yeah, compare how the movie was treated to Scream of the Shalka.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 12, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not only that, but he clearly relished the idea of making the role his own. He basically wanted to beat Tom's record of 7 years on the show, and had things been different, I think he very well might have.

I want to live in that universe, instead of this one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

What the heck is this from?

Also Strax is jolly...why is he jolly? Is the milk poisoned?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CobiWann posted:

…I should have.

Ok, here’s an assignment for the thread. My fiancée is a high school English teacher and she actually uses Doctor Who in the classroom. She uses Blink to teach mood and the various “Bad Wolf” sightings to illustrate foreshadowing. As such, she lets me put up a little “Wall of Who” in the back with pictures of all twelve (now thirteen) Doctors. Just the Doctors, no companions (if I get asked “where’s Rose” by one of her students one more flipping time), usually BBC promo shots (or Big Finish for McGann).

So, over the next few days, I’m taking submissions. Pictures of each Doctor, Hartnell through Capaldi, that I can put up on her wall to teach high school kids there were, and always will be, Doctors besides Tennant and Smith. I'll print out the best ones and you can rest knowing you've done your bit to educate American students, since obviously no one else will...

Well I'm guessing you've already got these two.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Only tangentially related to Doctor Who, but has anyone here listened to Big Finish's adaptation of "Treasure Island"? I haven't decided if I want to get it yet but the prospect of Tom Baker as Long John Silver is REALLY tempting.

Considering the last time he played a nautical-type character, I can definitely see it being excellent.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I, uh, quite like The Doctor's Daughter. Okay, the entire Martha subplot was entirely a waste of time (and I usually skip it), but I get where Donna's coming from, sort of. Keep in mind she's recently lost her own dad, and she's still very close with Wilf. I imagine she places quite a high value on fatherhood, especially since her mum isn't terribly supportive. So when Jenny appears, naturally she wants the Doctor to accept his own daughter, both for her sake and his. Also, from where she's coming from, you are usually regarded as responsible for your biological offspring, hence her crack about the child support agency. The fact Jenny was created artificially doesn't figure into it. That she was created by force is glossed over, but considering in the circumstances it was nothing more traumatic than a sore hand as a result, I can see why they largely ignored that angle. At the same time, she knows that the Doctor's the last of hi kind. She doesn't know about River Song (or that she's even a pseudo-Time Lord), or the Master. Jenny is the only other of his kind in existence, so by getting him to accept her, it will hopefully help mend her friend's own pain.

As for Jenny herself, well it makes sense she wants the Doctor's approval. I mean, at first she disregards the Doctor's pacifism because it doesn't fit in her militarized worldview. But when Cobb, the only other paternal figure she's known-dismisses her as from pacifist stock, she begins to try and understand him, and define herself now she's been thrown out of the 'soldier' group-especially since that's literally all she knows. Especially when she learns she's not just from pacifist stock-she's from an entirely different stock completely than anyone else on the planet, or for the matter, the known universe. Ultimately, her stealing the shuttle is very clearly intended to evoke her father stealing the TARDIS way back when, setting out to emulate her dad. I think not killing off was the right choice, since there's a lot of potential in the character. It's too bad nobody's actually used it.

The Doctor, well there's really two very good reasons why he's reluctant to accept Jenny. The first, of course, is guilt. Jenny's not just emblematic of Susan and the rest of his family, but at the same time everything he did during the war. The second is what happened the last time he encountered a fellow time lord-the Master died, and left him alone in the universe. And that was his mortal enemy. It's far easier for him to just push her away rather than risk getting attached.

While I suppose it's not really fair to factor in retcons that happened after this episode, the War Doctor casts a shadow over this episode with hindsight. Considering the commonalities in both his and Jenny's creation, born solely to fight, the Tenth Doctor's rejection makes that much more sense. He tells Donna that when he looks at Jenny he sees his family, but it's entirely possible he sees the War Doctor, too. But at the same time, there's an inherent Doctorishness that still comes through in both of them. It's obviously not quite as clear in Jenny, since she's created tabula rasa with only military knowledge, while the War Doctor still has 8 lifetimes of being the Doctor behind him, but it's clearly there in her sense of inquistiveness and ultimately in refusing to shoot Cobb, just like the War Doctor ultimately didn't destroy Gallifrey. Perhaps the Doctor's lack of an answer isn't conceding the point, but realising that Jenny isn't the person who would destroy Gallifrey, and could be guided away from that path with the right example. The War Doctor ultimately became the Ninth after all, and Jenny's not got that same baggage to carry.

Is this an all-time great episode? Absolutely not. Does it have some good character moments, though? Absolutely.

Anyway, that's my :spergin: over and done with.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jerusalem posted:

You make good points, but at the heart of it my problem is that none of these moments or actions are earned - just like the Doctor gets his hand forced into that machine, we're rushed through this sudden arrival of a complete stranger who is supposedly meant to be immediately injected into the very heart of the life of the titular character. She's a non-entity, and thus I can't get invested in her character arc, while she's being treated as the most important person in the universe.

There are parallels to be made between this story and the Flesh 2-parter from season 6. Where that story works for me is in the confusion between the two groups, and the fact that the Doctor is a eager participant in proving the validity of his own insistence on their right to be treated as individuals. The Flesh-Doctor may be a new entity, but he at least has the benefit of the Doctor's full memories/personality, even if the moment he comes into existence he branches off into being his own unique person.

By contrast, Jenny is the product of another culture produced by the forced acquisition of the Doctor's genes. She jams her way into a very specific and vital role in his life without earning her place (the Flesh Doctor was complicit with the original in gaining Amy's trust and understanding of his validity), and she takes a very aggressive and patently absurd take on who and what he is that he simply sits and passively takes despite the fact she has zero basis for any of her claims ("you're obviously a soldier, that's obviously a weapon" etc).

There may be moments in the story that would be good with the right character in the right setting with the right build up, but in this story I simply don't feel that they're earned. The audience is just meant to accept Jenny's importance simply because she exists, as if that is good enough.

I though that Jenny's take on the Doctor was simply looking at him through the only lens she has-as a soldier. After they get out of the cell, she's clearly interested in learning what the Doctor actually does, both from him and from Donna.

I guess I'm a fan of the idea of Jenny more than how she was handled in the episode itself. Maybe if they'd dumped the whole Martha subplot and given her more character development, it would have worked better.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PoshAlligator posted:

I put forward that the longest serving companion is Handles. As in in-show time.

I think you'll find it's the TARDIS. :colbert:

PoshAlligator posted:

Does anyone here ever write fan fiction, or is that considered too lame by the goon hive-mind?

I don't know if anyone here has seen this upcoming fan anthology but my fourth Doctor short story is one of the finalists for its slot. http://thetemporallogbook.wordpress.com/

I've never written fan fiction before this, so it's quite validating. Now I have a couple more ideas. Where would be the best place to post this stuff online? Just the old Fan Fiction Net? I found writing it an interesting experience.

Also, I'm getting together a little writing-based fan project with some friends. If anyone is interested in that sort of thing I might post about it here?

This might be what you're looking for. I'd be interested to see what you produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So what are people's opinions on Scream of the Shalka? I think it was a pretty good take on the Doctor, although obviously I'm happier with what we got.

I'm just going to assume that the Shalka Doctor would be the result if the Eight Doctor had regenerated normally and there'd been no Time War (or at least not one that got as bad as the one we saw).

It's a shame he only appeared in two stories. I'd be interested to see what Big Finish could do with a Doctor they had free reign to work with, but I guess he's in a rather unfortunate limbo.

• Locked thread